Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Gameplay Video 1

Gameplay Video 2

Gameplay Video 3

960544_20090602_790screen009.jpg

Despite the fact that this is more or less a port/remake of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, this has potential to be quite a bit of fun. When I first heard this was announced I was pretty disappointed, as it looked almost exactly like the DS version but with sharper visuals, looking at it now though it looks like it could be very fun to play with friends and I'll definitely be picking this us during the holidays. Watching the videos above, this looks a fair share harder than the DS version, which is a definite plus in my opinion. The DS game could be beaten in a couple of hours if you knew what you were doing because it was so easy. While it was fun, it just lacked difficult level design to make it feel more like one of the classics. This game looks a bit harder though, with less 1-up distribution and much more difficult looking levels.

Looks pretty rad. Not too excited about playing as Toads though.

Edited by Erazor

Yellow and Blue Toads are blatently "random unspecified multiplayer recolour" to me. I can imagine scenarios with 4 people playing as Toad, because no way are Blue and Yellow Toad in it but no Red Toad.

So to me this says that other characters will definitely be playable or unlockable. If not then I am instantly very disappointed.

Yellow and Blue Toads are blatently "random unspecified multiplayer recolour" to me. I can imagine scenarios with 4 people playing as Toad, because no way are Blue and Yellow Toad in it but no Red Toad.

So to me this says that other characters will definitely be playable or unlockable. If not then I am instantly very disappointed.

Indeed. Is it just me. or does it seem like the Wario Bros. are perfect for this game?

Despite the fact that this is more or less a port/remake of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS

Uh, how?

The levels are entirely different, and since the Koopalings are here, we know the bosses are different too.

Having the same/similar gameplay with an otherwise entirely different game is not a port or remake. That'd be like saying Sonic 2 was a port of Sonic 1.

Needless to say, I'm psyched about this though- I love the Mario series, especially the 2D platformers, and NSMB Wii looks like more of the same- Which with Mario is always a good thing.

I has always loved the sidecrolling mario games, and this one looks pretty good.

also, it looks this game was made for make an a**hole in multiplayer, always pushing your partners to death, stealing their coincs. Oh boy, this is gonna be great!

Uh, how?

The levels are entirely different, and since the Koopalings are here, we know the bosses are different too.

Having the same/similar gameplay with an otherwise entirely different game is not a port or remake. That'd be like saying Sonic 2 was a port of Sonic 1.

Needless to say, I'm psyched about this though- I love the Mario series, especially the 2D platformers, and NSMB Wii looks like more of the same- Which with Mario is always a good thing.

You hit the nail perfectly. Thats exactly what I say. Also, the screenshots make it look grainy & DS like, but in motion, It looks as/close pretty as SMG. It looks fun to. You know, fun. The 2nd to most important part of ANY Videogame?

You hit the nail perfectly. Thats exactly what I say. Also, the screenshots make it look grainy & DS like, but in motion, It looks as/close pretty as SMG. It looks fun to. You know, fun. The 2nd to most important part of ANY Videogame?

The 1st being graphics or guns? ;)

But I definitely wouldn't say it looks like SMG.... I find this game comparable to four swords and Echoes of Time in terms of why they chose the platform. With such a huge focus on multiplayer, they want the action to be on one screen. Except unlike Four Swords and FFCC, you don't have to pay a fortune to actually play multiplayer... one disc and four controllers is all you need; as opposed to the four DS and four carts you would need if it was on DS.

That said, I'm not happy with the graphics. I wish they could have made it more 2.5D, or at least given the textures something to really boast about, making them look really sharp and full of life (like Super Paper Mario or WarioLand's worlds)

EDIT: Also, I hate the NSMB theme song and now it's back =_=

Edited by #385 Jirachi

For what the game is I'd say the graphics are fine. Galaxy 2 will be the go to Mario game for great graphics. NSMBWii looks like it will be insane with a few friends. I'm hyped for it. The Koopa kids returning alone would have made me buy this. I wonder if Bowser Jr. is still in though. I'd be funny if Bowsers other kids were jealous of Jr. since he seems to be Bowsers "favorite". I mean Bowser gave him his name and everything. Maybe the others are trying to prove themselves to Bowser or something.

For what the game is I'd say the graphics are fine. Galaxy 2 will be the go to Mario game for great graphics. NSMBWii looks like it will be insane with a few friends. I'm hyped for it. The Koopa kids returning alone would have made me buy this. I wonder if Bowser Jr. is still in though. I'd be funny if Bowsers other kids were jealous of Jr. since he seems to be Bowsers "favorite". I mean Bowser gave him his name and everything. Maybe the others are trying to prove themselves to Bowser or something.

Mario needs character interaction. It's fantastic to finally see the Koopa Kids back, as I were worried they had really been retconned. I'd love to see how Bowser Jr fits in with the Koopa Kids.

As for the graphics, Nintendo haven't gone the extra mile with the Wii sequel to a handheld game, which is a disappointment of its own. Look at Wario Land.... it looks fantastic. I would have loved for a new 2D Mario to have that much care put into the visuals.

The 1st being graphics or guns? ;)

But I definitely wouldn't say it looks like SMG.... I find this game comparable to four swords and Echoes of Time in terms of why they chose the platform. With such a huge focus on multiplayer, they want the action to be on one screen. Except unlike Four Swords and FFCC, you don't have to pay a fortune to actually play multiplayer... one disc and four controllers is all you need; as opposed to the four DS and four carts you would need if it was on DS.

That said, I'm not happy with the graphics. I wish they could have made it more 2.5D, or at least given the textures something to really boast about, making them look really sharp and full of life (like Super Paper Mario or WarioLand's worlds)

EDIT: Also, I hate the NSMB theme song and now it's back =_=

No, BOOBIES/VIOLENCE/BLOOD! *shot*

OK seriously its gameplay/controls. It looks like the controls are solid.

Mario needs character interaction. It's fantastic to finally see the Koopa Kids back, as I were worried they had really been retconned. I'd love to see how Bowser Jr fits in with the Koopa Kids.

As for the graphics, Nintendo haven't gone the extra mile with the Wii sequel to a handheld game, which is a disappointment of its own. Look at Wario Land.... it looks fantastic. I would have loved for a new 2D Mario to have that much care put into the visuals.

The Koopa Kids were in M&L:Superstar Saga. But this is the 1st time in YEARS that they appeared in a Platformer.

Edited by PSI Electric FTW!

No, BOOBIES/VIOLENCE/BLOOD! *shot*

OK seriously its gameplay/controls. It looks like the controls are solid.

xD. Personally I find that fun is almost synonymous with controls, but I guess you're right. Although I would say that fun comes first. Even the best controls in the world can't help a boring game (i.e. most FPS *shot*)

The Koopa Kids were in M&L:Superstar Saga. But this is the 1st time in YEARS that they appeared in a Platformer.

Really? I haven't played through much of SuperStar Saga so I had no idea....

They were also going to be in Super Princess Peach at some stage, as they had sprites in the game, but they were never used.

xD. Personally I find that fun is almost synonymous with controls, but I guess you're right. Although I would say that fun comes first. Even the best controls in the world can't help a boring game (i.e. most FPS *shot*)

Really? I haven't played through much of SuperStar Saga so I had no idea....

They're in Bowsers Castle. They're timed and have a Minigame before the fight. Also, I knew about that SPP was apparently going to be in, So i should of said MARIO platformer(SPP does not have you play as Mario).

They're in Bowsers Castle. They're timed and have a Minigame before the fight. Also, I knew about that SPP was apparently going to be in, So i should of said MARIO platformer(SPP does not have you play as Mario).

Well, even if SPP counts as a Mario platformer, it's a moot point since they were never in the actual release. I was just throwing out a bit of trivia by mentioning it.

Well, even if SPP counts as a Mario platformer, it's a moot point since they were never in the actual release. I was just throwing out a bit of trivia by mentioning it.

It would work too. Sadness emotion would put out fireballs.

On-Topic: Because Yoshis in, when you eat fireballs, you can say "FIREBALLS YUM!" :P.

Am I the only one who finds the Koopa Kids really overrated? =\ Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them, but I can only hope they'll be replacing Bowser Jr. here as minibosses rather than being the end-of-world bosses. I like to be surprised by a new and unique boss each time, even if they were a bit easy in NSMB. If they are end-of-world bosses I at least hope they all have totally different attack patterns, unlike 3 and World where you essentially fought the same boss seven times with slight variations (I'll admit, World was improved, but it was still only three or so bosses with "hard versions" later on).

Oh, Koopa Kid negativity aside, I'm almost as excited about this as I am Galaxy. Gonna be a lot of fun. I do think it's a shame they just spiffied up the DS graphics rather than come up with new designs, but oh well.

And yeah, there better be unlockable characters. I wouldn't want to be one of the two guys left playing as those classic memorable characters Blue Toad and Yellow Toad. Come on, Wario/Waluigi/Peach/Daisy as unlockables please. <3 I understand they need to have the same moveset as Mario and Luigi, but I'd be okay with Wario not having his shoulder-barge and Peach not having her floating for the sake of gameplay.

Am I the only one who finds the Koopa Kids really overrated? =\ Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them, but I can only hope they'll be replacing Bowser Jr. here as minibosses rather than being the end-of-world bosses. I like to be surprised by a new and unique boss each time, even if they were a bit easy in NSMB. If they are end-of-world bosses I at least hope they all have totally different attack patterns, unlike 3 and World where you essentially fought the same boss seven times with slight variations (I'll admit, World was improved, but it was still only three or so bosses with "hard versions" later on).

+1

Sure nostalgia but... I didn't expect them appearing causing such a huge reaction.

I didn't grow up with them either, but you know me, I get obsessive about continuity and plot, even where they try to avoid it at all costs (like in the Mario series ^^; )

Basically the shock for me is their return, just because. I've never really been a fan of any of them, nor am I a fan of Jr. To me Jr is just a lame excuse to use the awesome Baby Bowser in "present" Mario titles.

And yeah, there better be unlockable characters. I wouldn't want to be one of the two guys left playing as those classic memorable characters Blue Toad and Yellow Toad. Come on, Wario/Waluigi/Peach/Daisy as unlockables please. <3 I understand they need to have the same moveset as Mario and Luigi, but I'd be okay with Wario not having his shoulder-barge and Peach not having her floating for the sake of gameplay.

That sounds awesome with the exception of Waluigi, but I think I can ignore him if they put in the others which will make me very happy anyway.

I'm a little upset that Yoshi has pretty much no chance though :(

I like any throwbacks to the days of old, though the Koopa Kids are far from my first choice. Still nice to see them return, however.

Now, if they brought back Foreman Spike, I might really be excited.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I agree completely. While I think the Koopa Kids are a nice addition, and it'd be cool if there was some interaction between them and Bowser Jr. (if he's in), I don't really see it as a huge game-changing like some do. I'm a lot more excited about the other new stuff, like the new powerups, Yoshi, and co-op.

I don't really care too much about the graphics, especially since the game will likely look much better by the time it actually comes out. Lack of online play doesn't really bother me either, since lag would be a problem, and it'd be kinda hard to work with the person you'd be playing with even with voice chat. I'm a bit concerned about difficulty, but even if its just a little harder than NSMB it'll be fine.

Is there any information on when this is going to be released yet? I think it'll probably come out before the end of the year, since I remember them saying they delayed Galaxy until 2010 because of this game, but other than that I don't really know.

That sounds awesome with the exception of Waluigi, but I think I can ignore him if they put in the others which will make me very happy anyway.

I'm a little upset that Yoshi has pretty much no chance though :(

I too wanted Yoshi until I saw the first screens showing that he'd be ridable again. I have to say the concept of Yoshi's Story/Mario 64 DS style standy-up Yoshi riding Mario World/Yoshi's Island style crippled Yoshi is a little disturbing for some reason.

With regards to last post or two discussing difficulty, I'm hoping they'll take the secret world route again. Six standard worlds with two alternative harder worlds to unlock (but no mini mario bosses to unlock them this time - they weren't very fun D= ). These worlds could provide the really challenging levels for experts. I think World 8 shouldn't be a straight line this time either. Have an "easy" route and a "hard" route, so both the casual newcomers and retro veterans will both have a chance to finish the game their way.

And of course, since these stages are designed for co-op, I imagine 100% clearing the whole game with a lone player will boast quite the challenge itself.

I've got to say that this game would be tons of fun at a party!

I also want to say I like the DS style graphics because it feels like a continuation of NSMB... kind of like Megaman 9 to the old Megaman games.

Edited by zonikku

I'm psyched to finally see another new 2D Mario platformer. It being co-op only adds to that for me, because that's something I've wanted to see too. In fact, just days before it was revealed I was thinking about how something like it could work.