Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

I've got a funny thing about this game that really bugs me. I'm sure you all know the stories about why Mario has a hat and his overalls and mustache and such, and how they're practically a part of the Mario mythos. The problem I have with this game now is that rather than simply saying that online and other characters were simply beyond the scope of the project, they made up more little stories like that to try and pass off the game's limitations. That means that there are now false anecdotes about the development of Mario games. That just doesn't sit right with me.

I actually don't find it hard to believe that online is hard with this game.

Think about it... the only reason MK Wii runs so smooth is because the envioronment is so large and spaced out. The console has much more room for error when it comes to working out lag. I'd imagine that other players are half guided by auto-aim from the AI in order to keep things running smoothly. It's not a big deal if they're slightly off, and only looks jarring when you get a major lag spike and they suddenly completely dissapear and reappear a bit further down or whatever.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii however, is dependant on pixel-perfect platforming. It'd be a LOT more jarring if your Wii gets lag and thinks a character has jumped in a pit, except they haven't, then it updates with the correct posistions and oh my god they're on your head blocking your way, and crap an enemy that was targetting you is actually targetting them so you jumped to avoid it straight into another hazard and died because while you THOUGHT you got a mushroom earlier, someone else apparently did at their end too and lag dictates that they got it first and BLARGH.

This is worst-case scenario I admit, but the worst that can happen with Mk Wii lag is when an item hits them and they don't react because they're not actually there. Wii isn't a powerhouse and lag would really mess up this game.

L4D isn't as pixel-perfect in execution as this game, but man does lag mess you up when it does occasionally happen. You'll shoot someone, see them die, then the game will update and no, you haven't shot them, in fact they're shooting you. D8 Yep, lol. I'd hate that in such a finely precise game as a platformer.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii however, is dependant on pixel-perfect platforming. It'd be a LOT more jarring if your Wii gets lag and thinks a character has jumped in a pit, except they haven't, then it updates with the correct posistions and oh my god they're on your head blocking your way, and crap an enemy that was targetting you is actually targetting them so you jumped to avoid it straight into another hazard and died because while you THOUGHT you got a mushroom earlier, someone else apparently did at their end too and lag dictates that they got it first and BLARGH.

Most of those issues could be resolved witha bit of crafty coding, but alas, Nintendo can't be assed.

Also LBP and 'Splosion Man (Tiny download game) say hi. LBP may not require much precision but 'Splosion Man does. Y'know, for 'Splosions and 'Sploding each other up. There's no way to 'Splode efficiently without precision.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/newsupermariobroswii/news.html?sid=6238589&tag=topslot;img;1&mode=previews

New Preview and gameplay footage of multiplayer mode and some new bosses. Roy's voice is actually pretty... Well... Watch and find out.

Also: The games strategy guide is supposed to come out today, so be warned.

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

LBP may not require much precision

Wat

Try and ace all the levels and coordinate some friends to do the x2/x3/x4 areas and say that again.

Also, it seems this "great secret" about NSMBW has somewhat been leaked. I don't know how to make spoiler tags here, so I'll leave it to some one else.

Wat

Try and ace all the levels and coordinate some friends to do the x2/x3/x4 areas and say that again.

Also, it seems this "great secret" about NSMBW has somewhat been leaked. I don't know how to make spoiler tags here, so I'll leave it to some one else.

Speak of the devil. Well the strategy guide is supposed to come out today, but where's the source of the news? You set spoilers by putting the word "spoiler" between "[" and "]".

Apparently Nintendo messed up and may have accidentally revealed something! (It's not characters don't get your hopes up) It's secret so you probably shouldn't look if you want it to be a surprise.

So yeah, while browsing GameFAQs boards (as you do) I came across this:

World 9???

Watch this weeks Nintendo Week Episode on the Nintendo Channel. Keep a look out for "world 9". I believe it features the Classic "Updated" NES graphics look.

Full thread here

Pretty nice! It's probably what ONM was talking about, so I didn't expect anything too amazing (since it's not characters...)

Oh, and for the sake of others discussion of this should be in spoiler tags. Srs.

Edited by SuperDarkLink

Apparently Nintendo messed up and may have accidentally revealed something! (It's not characters don't get your hopes up) It's secret so you probably shouldn't look if you want it to be a surprise.

So yeah, while browsing GameFAQs boards (as you do) I came across this:

World 9???

Watch this weeks Nintendo Week Episode on the Nintendo Channel. Keep a look out for "world 9". I believe it features the Classic "Updated" NES graphics look.

Full thread here

Pretty nice! It's probably what ONM was talking about, so I didn't expect anything too amazing (since it's not characters...)

Oh, and for the sake of others discussion of this should be in spoiler tags. Srs.

I looked it up, and hate to be the skeptic one but though there may very well be a

World 9

I think the footage was from Coin Battle Mode, not what people think it is.

EDIT: I want to clarify I think the spoiler exists, but no footage of it.

NEW REVIEW: 99/100 for being the best multiplayer game ever made

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2335732/new_super_mario_bros_wii_nintendo_wii.html?cat=19

More new gameplay of world 7-5

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/11/02/world-7-5-of-new-super-mario-bros-wii.aspx

ALSO, from Game Informer:

We've spent a healthy amount of time with New Super Mario Bros. Wii in the last week, and it's proving to be a serious challenge reminiscent of the series' hardest levels. Whether you're going solo or with three friends by your side, there's a wealth of new gameplay elements, enemies, and platforming challenges to ensure you'll be clamoring for every 1-Up you can get.

While the game is chock full of throwback levels and familiar enemies, it's by no means a simple nostalgia act. One area has you jumping from giant manta ray to giant manta ray, desperately trying to get some sort of footing to prevent a quick death. Another has giant floating bubbles that require the player to seamlessly alternate between swimming and platforming. Later levels are possibly the hardest platforming challenges in the series' history, with Bullet Bills, cannonballs, and lava geysers filling the screen. One such stage incorporates motion control, requiring the player to tilt the Wii remote to guide a platform along a rail. It's insanely difficult, and if you're playing four-player it's almost a guarantee that you'll accidentally kill a friend by jumping on their head at the wrong time.

Most of the enemies will be familiar faces like Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Boo, and Wiggler, but there are several new and revamped baddies entering the Mushroom Kingdom. You may remember Fuzzy from Super Mario World (not the "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" version from Yoshi's Island), but he's much more of a threat this time around. Instead of one or two of these creatures on a rail, they'll sometimes appear in giant groups, often with super-sized versions in the mix. Cloud enemies will try to blow you off of platforms, Crowbers will swoop down at high speeds, and the sky will sometimes be littered with parachuting Bob-ombs.

Thankfully, Mario isn't without a new bag of tricks to help him on yet another Princess-saving, Koopaling-stomping adventure. You've probably seen the ice flower, penguin suit, and propeller helmet in trailers, and these are all welcome additions to Mario's ever-growing power-up library. Even when you don't have a propeller helmet, your character can grab special propeller blocks to temporarily give him an airborne boost. Both propeller methods are great alternatives to previous methods of flight (Raccoon/Tanooki suit, cape), and allow for far more precise movement when planning an accurate Koopa head-stomp.

We're only a couple weeks away from New Super Mario Bros Wii's release, and all signs are pointing towards a fantastic mix of nostalgia and pure platforming challenge. Keep an eye on the site for our full review.

I'm not so sure

World 9

is the big unlockable. I mean NSMBDS had something similar.

Except the 8th World just extended a bit.

I think this is the same idea here with the secret unlockable being something else.

Well it would make sense and fit along with the previous statement made by Nintendo

Over 80 levels?

Honestly, aside from more characters I can't think of much else suited to be "ONM's great secret". Unless it's not really so great at all.

As for the 99/100 review, I call the reliability of the source into question. I've never heard of them before, they certainly don't write like a games site or magazine.

Plus the fact that they gave the graphics/audio a 24/25 is a dead giveaway. Liking the graphics is fine, but claiming they're among the best on the whole system is ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well it would make sense and fit along with the previous statement made by Nintendo

Over 80 levels?

Honestly, aside from more characters I can't think of much else suited to be "ONM's great secret". Unless it's not really so great at all.

As for the 99/100 review, I call the reliability of the source into question. I've never heard of them before, they certainly don't write like a games site or magazine.

Plus the fact that they gave the graphics/audio a 24/25 is a dead giveaway. Liking the graphics is fine, but claiming they're among the best on the whole system is ridiculous.

I found it on a google search when I was looking for something, but apparently they score does at least matter to Game Rankings, which files their scores for titles towards the total.

Also, for stage number, if you include the coin stages (which we saw were 5 of in the Nintendo Channel video) which ARE full stages just made for coin mode and free for all mode instead of the regular game, that would make the total 79, though there may be more coin stages also.

Dude really, Really, REALLY enjoys his job.

WAHOO!

Also I can't wait for this. Only two weeks to go! :D

Edited by speedfreak

Another new bit of news from the IGN Podcast: When you have 99 lives, apparently Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad will loose their hats. So when you're maxed out on lives, no hats.

Another new bit of news from the IGN Podcast: When you have 99 lives, apparently Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad will loose their hats. So when you're maxed out on lives, no hats.

How incredibly random! O_O

Nice little easter egg I guess... How can a Toad lose his/her hat?

Hahaha, that sounds funny. This game looks a lot more fun and silly than I originally imagined it was going to be upon it's original announcement, I'm pretty excited.

I bet this game could finaly replace Unleashed as my current favorite Wii game

FINAL BOSS RUMOR

OK, rumor started up. Apparently someone looked through the guide that came out today and they say the final boss is a 4 phase battle against Bowser.

So was looking at the guide in secret at Gamespot which was shipped in some boxes this evening. I skimmed to the back and looked at the final boss fight. Seems it's some four phase thing which has you fighting against the Super Mario Bros 1, World, and 3 fina lBowser bosses but a little different. It finishes with some boss with Bowser being giant and the Kooplings and Jr. manuevering weapons on the perimeter. Looked pretty cool. Guide's pretty cool too.

I don't believe it. Seems too good to be true. Plus it's seems kinda early for the guide to be out.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't kick stuff upwards like in World so that fight couldn't be possible.

I don't believe it. Seems too good to be true. Plus it's seems kinda early for the guide to be out.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't kick stuff upwards like in World so that fight couldn't be possible.

The guide actually did ship yesterday, and on the ship thing

Did you read the above preview? Confirmed Bowser Jr. Clown Car boss fights, and it since you can't kick up so you need to find other means.

However, I agree it probably isn't true.