Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Yes Chrono, please incite flamewars in our topics, they're ever so wonderful.

edit: lol, Jake.

Good to see this game turned out OK. I'm too busy with my massive backlog to care though.

My Wii library has grown by three games already this month- Klonoa, Wario Land and MadWorld. Each better than the one before, but I think this will top them all big-time. I can't wait for my birthday now, the day that the game is released! Woo

While I find it hard to believe that a game that plays just like previous 2D Mario games can be the most fun Mario game of all time....

I'll take your word for it when you say it's that fun. I'm not expecting it to beat Galaxy personally, since that was really special, but I hope you're right.

Now I just wish I could play as Peach... ;_;

EDIT: Apparently the disc has about 4GB of free space. The disc contains just under 350Mb of content.

"online couldn't fit" my ass.

EDIT2: Gecko OS codes have already been released for those who want to be Luigi in one player, or the crazy crazy people who want to be a Toad in one player.

EDIT3: Were ONM going on about the Star Coin bonus? Because from the sounds of things the only thing you can use them for is:

buying tutorial and hint videos

I still wonder what ONM were so joyful about o.0;

For those who say this game can be utilized on the DS just as easily on the Wii are going to be proven horridly wrong, the entire fight depends on the Wii motion sensitivity. You jump in your own personal clown car and waggle to ram into Bowser Jr.

I trust it couldn't be done with a D-Pad then?

Edited by SuperLink

This is the kind of game you keep playing over and over. I've never had that much fun playing a Mario game.

I'm serious guys. :0

My credibility is probably thin, I'm sure, but you'll just have to trust me on this one.

I'm going to have to agree, actually. I'm having lots of fun with this, and for the first time in a long time, made me genuinely want to use the Wii. Pretty cool! But the fact that there's no online is disturbing. =( Ah well...

• Thumbs Up 1

While I find it hard to believe that a game that plays just like previous 2D Mario games can be the most fun Mario game of all time....

You mean how Super Mario 3 was better than everything up until possibly now?

Or how the 2-D games are some of the best Sonic games?

Super Metroid still being better than all of the Prime games?

Well since we're doing opinions....

You mean how Super Mario 3 was better than everything up until possibly now?

World, 64 and Galaxy were much better than 3. And 2D Mario games haven't evolved since World.

Or how the 2-D games are some of the best Sonic games?

I can't believe you used that example.

Super Metroid still being better than all of the Prime games?

That's because they turned a sidescroller into a first person game and the story was about shit noone cared about.

Edited by SuperLink

World, 64 and Galaxy were much better than 3. And 2D Mario games haven't evolved since World.

I'd like you to tell that to every hardcore Mario fan I know and see what they say.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'd like you to tell that to every hardcore Mario fan I know and see what they say.

Opinions...

Every hardcore Mario fan I know thought Galaxy was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And Mario World is like the LttP of the Mario series.

OHAI THAR SSMB 100!

Galaxy is my favorite Mario by far and I'd consider myself a "hardcore" Mario fan. The best 2D title is Yoshi's Island. For those that don't count that as a Mario game then World is next followed closely by 3.

Also about the star coins,

I'm pretty sure that beating World 8 unlocks World 9, but it takes star coins for the levels in that world to open up. So the more star coins the more World 9 levels.

I'm quite the hardcore Mario fan and I felt Super Mario World was the best. I loved SMB3, but World's level design and play control were both a lot more fun and smooth to me.

It has nothing to do with "evolving" though. New Super Mario Bros. Wii honestly looks like it will top World for me, because of its great level design, control, and challenge.

Now you're just being ignorant. This game has a lot more depth than World or 3. Heck, this game has more depth than NSMBDS. You can do so much more in this title than the previous Mario games that it's unbelievable that they haven't done this before. If I ever get a Wii of my own, the first game I'm getting isn't going to be Galaxy or Brawl, it's this game.

I trust it couldn't be done with a D-Pad then?

No, because you use the D-pad to move around as well. Why would you map another control feature to the same buttons? You can't. That would be silly.

Now you're just being ignorant. This game has a lot more depth than World or 3. Heck, this game has more depth than NSMBDS. You can do so much more in this title than the previous Mario games that it's unbelievable that they haven't done this before.

How is it deeper? World is deeper than NSMB and SMB3 combined. The map is huge, almost half the stages are secret, there are tons of easter eggs, many of the secrets require you to revisit stages with a power up that you can't get anywhere near that stage (including Yoshi). Some of the secret exits were almost impossible to find without guides too. Oh, and the Yoshi Coins were solid as hell to get sometimes. I can't say anything about NSMBW's difficulty yet, but I can't see what critical game features are in that that were lacking from World.

But contrarily... the ability to power up Yoshi and take him wherever you want is missing from the full DVD sequel to a cartridge game 20 years ago.

No, because you use the D-pad to move around as well. Why would you map another control feature to the same buttons? You can't. That would be silly.

That actually sounds pretty hard then.

I'm pretty well seated as a hardcore Mario fan (or I was, anyway), and my favorites have been hung between SMB3 and World. I feel like Mario 64 is a totally different beast, and make no mistake, I love it too, but those two classic sidescrollers hold a special place for me. Galaxy failed to hook me as much as Sunshine did, though, and I never got all the hubbub about it.

Most of you guys are really tempting me with NSMBWii. A month or so ago, I really was saying I was going to totally skip over it, but this thread's startin' to push my stalled Mario hype train back into motion.

How is it deeper? World is deeper than NSMB and SMB3 combined. The map is huge, almost half the stages are secret, there are tons of easter eggs, many of the secrets require you to revisit stages with a power up that you can't get anywhere near that stage (including Yoshi). Some of the secret exits were almost impossible to find without guides too. Oh, and the Yoshi Coins were solid as hell to get sometimes. I can't say anything about NSMBW's difficulty yet, but I can't see what critical game features are in that that were lacking from World.

The map is huge in this one as well. I was referring to depth in terms of controls. You can do the same and so much more than you could in the previous titles. You can backtrack, you have those Toad houses, you have the Boo houses, you have Air Fortresses, Mini castles, the hammer bros. style minigames you ran into in Mario 3, you have secret exits ala Mario 1, you have the ability to apply powerups while on the Map like Mario 3, you can wall jump which wasn't possible in World or 3, you can butt-stomp, you can do the air-twirl thing that you couldn't accomplish in NSMBDS, you have little gameplay quirks that rely on the Wiimote sensitivity (which is never thrown in your face) you have more new powerups than before, you can ride Yoshi again (Mario Sunshine not counting, that's 3D) You have, of course, the Super Guide for the less advanced players, you have the Super Skill videos to give you something to shoot for in terms of skill, you have the Koopalings for the first time in ages, the multiplayer is unprecedented in its concepts and you probably won't ever have as much fun playing any other 2D platformer in multiplayer ever again, the multiplayer almost transforms it into a different game altogether it's so fun!

Saying this game is the same as NSMBDS or Mario 3/World are in denial.

Edited by Indigo Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of you guys are really tempting me with NSMBWii. A month or so ago, I really was saying I was going to totally skip over it, but this thread's startin' to push my stalled Mario hype train back into motion.

At announcement I was over the moon, because I was certain I'd finally be able to play as Peach and Wario in a proper Mario sidescroller, that the Toads were just a placeholder for what was to be a huge steadily announced cast of playable characters to make the ultimate fan-service Mario title... (like a proper 2D sidescrolling version of Mario Party)

After Miyamoto's interview where he spoke so indifferently about extra content, my interest in the game hit rock bottom and I greatly considered waiting until it was cheap second hand. However now I'll probably buy it on launch if I have any spare money. Now I just can't wait to play it, but I have this unshakable feeling that I could be playing that dream Mario game instead.

EDIT @ Indigo:

So the only extra depth comes from returning moves from World and NSMB, the power ups replaced with other power ups, and the Wiimote? That's not extra depth, that's just this title's gimmick. None of these things will be series mainstays, they'll just drop in and out like the spinny thing in World has done.

3 still has the most powerups by far.

Edited by SuperLink

At announcement I was over the moon, because I was certain I'd finally be able to play as Peach and Wario in a proper Mario sidescroller, that the Toads were just a placeholder for what was to be a huge steadily announced cast of playable characters to make the ultimate fan-service Mario title... (like a proper 2D sidescrolling version of Mario Party)

After Miyamoto's interview where he spoke so indifferently about extra content, my interest in the game hit rock bottom and I greatly considered waiting until it was cheap second hand. However now I'll probably buy it on launch if I have any spare money. Now I just can't wait to play it, but I have this unshakable feeling that I could be playing that dream Mario game instead.

You'll never have fun with this if you keep setting unlikely standards. Stop looking at what this game doesn't have and look at what you've never had before or haven't had in ages.

• Thumbs Up 1

But contrarily... the ability to power up Yoshi and take him wherever you want is missing from the full DVD sequel to a cartridge game 20 years ago.

You act as if this has do to hardware limits instead of simply just being a choice on Nintendo's part, which is exactly what it was.

You know what, Yoshi was in Sunshine, but he wasn't in Galaxy. :0 I guess that means Galaxy is a highly inferior product! Seriously, if Yoshi isn't in a game, or is limited to a specific set of levels then that was a call made by Nintendo (most likely for the better) and I don't think it should be treated as some huge minus on the game. I don't recall anyone bitching that the Fire Flower was timed in Galaxy compared to how it worked in the original games. Why not complain that Yoshi can't throw eggs or lick upwards? Different game, different situation, different set of rules. Nintendo (or any logical company) makes choices based on how things should work in different situations. Sure this game is very similar to Mario World, but the simple fact that Yoshi can now do his flutter jump would most likely break the challenge on a whole lot of levels. You could say that Nintendo could have altered the difficulty so the flutter jump wouldn't have made the game too easy, but then the game would be too hard for standard Mario.

You act as if this has do to hardware limits instead of simply just being a choice on Nintendo's part, which is exactly what it was.

You know what, Yoshi was in Sunshine, but he wasn't in Galaxy. :0 I guess that means Galaxy is a highly inferior product! Seriously, if Yoshi isn't in a game, or is limited to a specific set of levels then that was a call made by Nintendo (most likely for the better) and I don't think it should be treated as some huge minus on the game. I don't recall anyone bitching that the Fire Flower was timed in Galaxy compared to how it worked in the original games. Why not complain that Yoshi can't throw eggs or lick upwards? Different game, different situation, different set of rules. Nintendo (or any logical company) makes choices based on how things should work in different situations. Sure this game is very similar to Mario World, but the simple fact that Yoshi can now do his flutter jump would most likely break the challenge on a whole lot of levels. You could say that Nintendo could have altered the difficulty so the flutter jump wouldn't have made the game too easy, but then the game would be too hard for standard Mario.

Speedfreak, would you take the honor of becoming my bride?

You'll never have fun with this if you keep setting unlikely standards. Stop looking at what this game doesn't have and look at what you've never had before or haven't had in ages.

I'm just annoyed as it would have been so easy to implement all these things the fans have been asking for and would have loved, it would have only added to the gameplay rather than subtracting, yet from the sounds of things neither Wario nor Peach were ever properly considered.

Maybe I never will have as much fun with it as some people, but the standards are hardly "unlikely", maybe only so because Nintendo have almost no contact with their fanbase.

@ Speedfreak

Good point >.<

Would an unlockable letting us take Yoshi everywhere be so much to ask for though? It's just the kind of little easter egg that would go great in a Mario game.

So the only extra depth comes from returning moves from World and NSMB, the power ups replaced with other power ups, and the Wiimote? That's not extra depth, that's just this title's gimmick. None of these things will be series mainstays, they'll just drop in and out like the spinny thing in World has done.

Replace Yoshi with the use of other powerups that weren't in this game.

You're going to have a pretty sucky time with this game, Superlink. Just saying.

EDIT @ Indigo:

There's also the Toad rescue missions, which sound pretty cool to me. Having to make it through an entire level carrying Toad sounds like a good challenge. The whole co-op thing is also sure to add a ton of replay value or depth. Just look at this crazy shit.

I imagine trying to get that good with a few friends would add a ton of depth. Also lets not forget that collecting star coins~

opens up new more difficult levels in World 9.

Also yeah 3 did have a lot of really cool power ups, but a lot of them were hardly used and seem kinda thrown in just for the sake of having a bunch of power ups.

Replace Yoshi with the use of other powerups that weren't in this game.

You're going to have a pretty sucky time with this game, Superlink. Just saying.

Yoshi is a mainstay, he's been in almost half the Mario games since World.

Ice Flower isn't even really a "new" powerup. I'm not saying I want more powerups, I'm saying I want a NEW gameplay feature/mechanic that Nintendo intent to use in many games to come, like Yoshi was, or like P Switches.

I want the series to GROW, not just replace and repeat.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yoshi is a mainstay, he's been in almost half the Mario games since World.

Ice Flower isn't even really a "new" powerup. I'm not saying I want more powerups, I'm saying I want a NEW gameplay feature/mechanic that Nintendo intent to use in many games to come, like Yoshi was, or like P Switches.

Yoshi is a powerup just as much as the Ice Flower and Propellor Suit is. The Penguin Suit can be used in future games just like the Tanooki Suit.

But it wasn't, was it? Why is that?

Because Nintendo didn't want to. Because it wouldn't work in the game it was placed in. The red coins are a newer addition to the 2D games. The many new movesets are going to be in the next 2D Mario, which we'll never know when we'll see again, so I intend to have fun with this game.

Want a perfect Mario game? Go make your own.