Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

This game is great! I hate the fact that I have to go to work tomorrow. I guess I'll have to wait until next week to have my friends come over and test out multiplayer. I don't mind though because I'm really enjoying the single player.

Ahhh, I want this game so much. It's been so long since I've played Mario. But It's a real shame it's not online, apparently they thought it's more fun to play with people when you can see them (Wii "See" anyone? :P) but I think they missed out on a real good opportunity for the hardcore market there. You could've had races to the end of the level; co-op; or even downloadable levels. I really think it could've been so cool to ring up a friend to help you get to the next level on the story via online. Ah well, next time maybe.

Game are giving away a "NSMBW" Money Box with every special purchase - I'm there!

Ahhh, I want this game so much. It's been so long since I've played Mario. But It's a real shame it's not online, apparently they thought it's more fun to play with people when you can see them (Wii "See" anyone? :P) but I think they missed out on a real good opportunity for the hardcore market there. You could've had races to the end of the level; co-op; or even downloadable levels. I really think it could've been so cool to ring up a friend to help you get to the next level on the story via online. Ah well, next time maybe.

Online with this game, honestly, would have been nigh-impossible anyway even on more powerful hardware without things bocting up due to lag, as this type of game requires precision in its platforming. The only reason LBP's online even worked was that its platform engine was so damn floaty and stuff and lacked precision, and it masked the potential for stuff to go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The only reason LBP's online even worked was that its platform engine was so damn floaty and stuff and lacked precision, and it masked the potential for stuff to go wrong.

'Splosion Man says hi.

That game needs just as much precision at times as Mario has, if not more.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

'Splosion Man says hi.

That game needs just as much precision at times as Mario has, if not more.

"More" in 'Splosion Man's case is a colossal understatement. I mean seriously, timing explosions to bounce each other off and making it through the timed areas while having to go through that shit at the same time? It'd be impossible to do without any communication at all between players. Thank god for 360 headset, even though I preffer to play the game locally with my buddies.

Splosion Man's difficulty can't even be compared to NSMB Wii. It's diabolic at times.

That said there's nothing that would hinder Nintendo to actually add WiiSpeak and use more out of it, and add online to NSMB Wii. I'm still gutted cause of its omission.

Edited by The Psychosomantic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Online with this game, honestly, would have been nigh-impossible anyway even on more powerful hardware without things bocting up due to lag

If a game like Super Smash Bros. Brawl can have some sort of online capabilities as a Wii game, what excuse does this game have?

Your claim that it wouldn't work even on a more powerful console makes no sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

If a game like Super Smash Bros. Brawl can have some sort of online capabilities as a Wii game, what excuse does this game have?

Your claim that it wouldn't work even on a more powerful console makes no sense.

That's not my point. It can work, alright. But could it work WELL? Your Brawl example is flawed since online Brawl is usually laggy as hell. With connections these days, trying to get a game that relies on precision and stuff in this day and age to work with minimal lag that isn't, say, a racer, is probably not worth it unless you have plenty of development time to spare. Believe it or not, some genres are much harder to pull off in online than others.

Nintendo probably figured that out as well, and figured they could use the time they could have used to implement online to work on more important stuff, you know, like making the game more fun.

You're missing my point. I know Brawl's online isn't perfect (Duh). But at the very least it's online. And honestly, when playing with my other friends on the east coast Brawl really hasn't been all that laggy at all.

The fact that New Super Mario Bros. Wii lacks any sort of online capabilities is ridiculous from my point of view.

Nintendo probably figured that out as well, and figured they could use the time they could have used to implement online to work on more important stuff, you know, like making the game more fun.

Well then how about giving the game more development time? This is Nintendo with a mainseries Mario game we're talking about here... It can have all the time it needs.

That's not to say I don't completely agree with the genre thing, that is an important factor, but not a genre breaking one, because Soulcalibur and Tekken work fine online, those require probably as little button->screen lag as Brawl does. Brawl's online just wasn't made that well.

Besides, 'Splosion Man again, worked better than Brawl, more precision than Mario, etc.

Fact: The only reason Nintendo didn't include online in NSMBW is "Just because". They didn't even add any leaderboards for stage/coin scores or anything.

Personally I'm not that bothered anymore, but there's just no point in suggesting otherwise.

Edited by SuperLink

This game is too much fun, my friends and I finished world and were just about to get up to the first airship level until we decided to save that for another time. This game is a lot of fun, only thing is I feel like if I were to buy this I'd finish it in a couple of days then get bored, I'll probably wind up getting it as a gift and just play it at my friend's house for now. It's fantastic fun though and I foresee myself beating it and then playing it again and again, but I'll give it some time before I buy it.

Edited by Solid SOAP

I'd rather have the game now then wait for Nintendo to add online play for it. I honestly don't care about Nintendo games being online this gen. The experience always feels half assed compared to what the 360 offers IMO. Brawl online sucked and while MKWii was pretty good it didn't have any type of voice chat and without that I might as well be playing a computer. Sure they have since developed Wii Speak, but I personally don't like it. I much prefer the head set ala 360. Plus Nintendo are too damn anal, forcing shitty friend codes instead of being able to effortlessly add buddies ala the 360 set up. Also with Wii Speak I'm pretty sure you can only hear those on your friend list, so random matches are silent.....correct? It might just be me but after playing 360 games online I'm just not impressed by Nintendo's online efforts. I don't know if it has to do with limits to the Wii, but if it does I'd rather see Nintendo get it right with their next system instead giving me half baked attempts this gen. This is all only MY OPINION though.

I can understand peoples disappointment that this game isn't online. If it worked and had a decent way to communicate with other players it really would have been amazing. I'm just saying to me personally it doesn't matter much at all. I'm enjoying this game immensely either way.

• Thumbs Up 2

The experience always feels half assed compared to what the 360 offers IMO. Brawl online sucked and while MKWii was pretty good it didn't have any type of voice chat and without that I might as well be playing a computer. Sure they have since developed Wii Speak, but I personally don't like it. I much prefer the head set ala 360. Plus Nintendo are too damn anal, forcing shitty friend codes instead of being able to effortlessly add buddies ala the 360 set up. Also with Wii Speak I'm pretty sure you can only hear those on your friend list, so random matches are silent.....correct? It might just be me but after playing 360 games online I'm just not impressed by Nintendo's online efforts. I don't know if it has to do with limits to the Wii, but if it does I'd rather see Nintendo get it right with their next system instead giving me half baked attempts this gen. This is all only MY OPINION though.

Mostly agree with all this. It's one of the reasons I'm not so bothered about the online for the game myself, it would just give people even more of a need for a more full online experience.

Like Brawl, people wouldn't have complained if Brawl wasn't online (we'd be disappointed sure), but Brawl DOES have online and it's all people complain about! If Nintendo can't do a good job with the online (and atm, on the Wii, I don't think they can), then it may be for the better, or atleast nothing to make too big a fuss over, that NSMBW has no online gameplay.

Still, leaderboards would have been nice. Nintendo really bigged up WiiConnect24 before the Wii was launched, and when do they ever use it? Promotional words that mean nothing.

With all the hype going on I'm actually split on whether I should buy NSMB Wii, Muramasa or Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas.

Eh.

I'm holding off until Christmas as well since it will give me something to ask for. I'm dying the play this game though since it looks really good. It's great to see the Koopa kids return too!

I think I kinda spoiled myself cause I watched a bit of gameplay footage from World 1. :P But I cant wait to get this for Christmas.

Also with Wii Speak I'm pretty sure you can only hear those on your friend list, so random matches are silent.....correct?

Good, the number of times random people have starting talking (EDIT – Inflammatory -T) to me on PSN FOR NO REASON is ridiculous, I got told to kill myself for accidently missing an object in LBP when the other players had died and then had two different people who I didn't even know telling me to get out of the game session and never play the game again O_O. Considering Nintendo's demographic I can see why the system is set up like it is, Friend Codes are a (EDIT – Inflammatory -T) though, would be SO MUCH easier to just have an option to confirm if you know someone IRL or not.

The new issue of ONM apparantly has an interview with Miyamoto on NSMBW.

He pretty much says they could have put lagless online in but they just didn't want to.

Finally the man speaks some truth.

The new issue of ONM apparantly has an interview with Miyamoto on NSMBW.

He pretty much says they could have put lagless online in but they just didn't want to.

Finally the man speaks some truth.

He also "could have made Halo"*, but he didn't. Best not to dwell on what could have been.

*He actually said this once for those who don't know.

He also "could have made Halo"*, but he didn't. Best not to dwell on what could have been.

*He actually said this once for those who don't know.

To be fair he could have made anything.

But you know the Japanese and their FPS, they don't really like it.

Also I think the Halo remark was just another instance of Miyamoto being a little sore that fans are angry at him for not doing what everyone else is doing (like the whole Donkey Kong Country and F-Zero GX things)

Like I've been saying, not particularly bothered about the online myself. It's just a bit of a missed opportunity (like some other things with this game...)

Oh well, this way I've still got a bunch more Mario related stuff to look forward to. Hopefully they do it all eventually. Besides, they finally did CoOp right?

Funny, that, World 1-1 already exists in this game... As a coin battle stage, and proceeds to twist the level design in inventive and clever ways. It's awesome.

Also the Voices of the Koopa Kids are revealed:

Bowser Jr.: Caety Sagoian

Larry: Lani Minella

Morton: Lani Minella

Wendy: Lani Minella

Iggy: Mike Vaughn

Roy: Don Falcone

Lemmy: Lani Minella

Ludwig: Mike Vaughn

HOLY CRAP! Lani Minella, voice of Rouge in SA2 and Heroes, is in a Mario Game! As if SSBB wasn't enough.