Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Anyway yeah, essentially, if collecting mushrooms doesn't make you big, I feel it's not part of the main 2D Mario series.

*Gives a glance to Super Mario Bros 2; which whimpers slightly.*

Don't worry bro... just ignore them.. :(

Mushrooms do make you bigger in SMB2 USA...

Nope, hearts did that. Mushrooms just gave you another heart for your healthbar... like a Heart Container!

But if you get a mushroom while small, will it not make you big?

....Yeah.

But it doesn't make the same sound effect!

I knew people would niggle at that. 8I Fine, erm, if mushrooms are replaced by more powerful items when already big, it's part of the main 2D mario series.

And before anyone tries to be clever again, the mushrooms you get out of multiple coin blocks in NSMB don't count. D8

(P.S. I focking love Mario 2 and of course it's part of the official chronology, as is Yoshi's Island, but you must look at their gameplay and concede their status as spin-offs, platformer or not).

Edited by JezMM

I'm well aware of the origins of Mario Bros. 2 and Lost Levels, that's why I was saying it's not really part of the main Mario series, just as Yoshi's Island isn't. Lost Levels, or JP Mario Bros. 2, is of course.

Also, *covers Mario 2's precious ears* Cheap rip-off nothing. 8I That game introduced hundreds of awesome and key elements into the Mario series. I think it was a good call to release that instead of Lost Levels for western audiences. Of course as said, it was my first game, so I'll defend it to the grave.

Anyway yeah, essentially, if collecting mushrooms doesn't make you big, I feel it's not part of the main 2D Mario series.

I am calling it a rip-off because other than replacing the characters with Mario ones, it is more or less 100% identical to something that was an already-existing game. Even the music is the same. I liked this game myself, and I played it quite a bit, but it does not change the fact that it is nearly an exact copy of another game.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=offtopic&thread.id=2172189

Anyhow, I sense that the topic is derailing slightly. Let us try to keep this topic mainly about New Super Mario Bros. Wii. We can create another topic if we wish to further discuss the other games in the series. ^__^

But rip-off is such a... violent sounding term. ;_; I prefer to think of it as a... Mariofication of Doki Doki Panic. 8D Like how Panel De Pon was Yoshi-fied into Tetris Attack.

Anyway, yes, Mario bros. Wii.

Say, what did people think of the hint movies? I loved em because they allowed me to get the tricky star coins without risking spoilers by looking up guides. And the super skills ones are genuinely entertaining watches, and often full of clever general tips too.

On a seperate file I witnessed the Super Guide too (not risking losing my shiny stars on file select). VERY well done. The Luigi demo plays at an excellently slow pace, which is perfect for beginners to learn from.

Edited by JezMM