Awoo.

The Sonic Vs Thread.

Kuzu

So you ever thought to yourself "Would character A be able to beat character B"?, I know I have. So rather than make a million threads of "X vs. Y" threads, I figured just make a general topic about it. Basically, post any matchup you can think of and then discuss how would the characters be able to fight each other, their advantages, disadvantages, abilities, etc. etc. It's basically similar to ScrewAttack's Death Battle except it's mostly discussion based.

To start, Shadow vs. Knuckes. Anyone ever though what it would be like if these two ever fought? I mean here we have a proficient user of many different chaos powers, while Knuckles has the power to nullify them with the Master Emerald. At that point, who would have an advantage over who?

• Thumbs Up 4

Logically, Knuckles would get a legendary asskicking, but when you factor in the Master Emerald's power, he may or may not be able to stand a chance.

...I'm still not sure what Knuckles CAN do with the ME besides stoping the Chaos Emeralds though.

He can power himself up by using it. 

When I try to think of how powerful a Sonic character is or something, I usually go by ALL Continuities for their skills.

Hm...Shadow to me has always seemed more like a ranged glass cannon type of fighter. His chaos spears ensure that he can strike enemies from a reasonable range, while his speed from his hover-shoes natural speed ensures that he can run rings around slower enemies. That being said, he definitely looks more fragile and probably wouldn't have that many means of defense outside of some relatively weak melee attacks if his Chaos powers were cut short.

Knuckles is pretty obvious: straight up fist fighting and brute force. His punches are generally considered deadly and he has some maneuverability with his gliding and climbing skills. In addition, having to rely so heavily on brute strength would possibly give him some decent resilience to melee attacks. Unfortunately, all of the above doesn't deal with the fact that he doesn't really have any means to hit enemies from a distance; he has to get up close and personal to deal an asskicking. It also doesn't help that he is VERY slow compared to the likes of Shadow and Sonic.

With the factors presented, I'd say:

Shadow would win if he doesn't tire from Chaos Power overuse, and was moving at top speed to evade Knuckles' attacks.

Knuckles would win if he can catch Shadow and dish out a strong enough punch, since it doesn't seem like Shadow takes physical hits very well.

TL;DR: Shadow wins most of the time unless Knuckles can catch him. Then Knuckles would likely knock him out easily.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I think it would help things if neutral stipulations can be placed upon the match-ups, because the fact is almost anyone can win against anyone with any item or scenario you pull out of thin air. Someone has probably thought of some completely bullshit way Cheese can beat Solaris, so eliminating items like Emeralds and locations where certain characters would have an extreme advantage would make for more logical debate, because then it actually comes far more down to a character's battle ability than any metaphorical boosts or handicaps you equip on.

So, going the Fox- no items- Final Destination route, Shadow would be the favorite to win by a combination of sheer energy ability, power, and speed.

Hm...Shadow to me has always seemed more like a ranged glass cannon type of fighter. His chaos spears ensure that he can strike enemies from a reasonable range, while his speed from his hover-shoes natural speed ensures that he can run rings around slower enemies. That being said, he definitely looks more fragile and probably wouldn't have that many means of defense outside of some relatively weak melee attacks if his Chaos powers were cut short.

Knuckles is pretty obvious: straight up fist fighting and brute force. His punches are generally considered deadly and he has some maneuverability with his gliding and climbing skills. In addition, having to rely so heavily on brute strength would possibly give him some decent resilience to melee attacks. Unfortunately, all of the above doesn't deal with the fact that he doesn't really have any means to hit enemies from a distance; he has to get up close and personal to deal an asskicking. It also doesn't help that he is VERY slow compared to the likes of Shadow and Sonic.

With the factors presented, I'd say:

Shadow would win if he has his Chaos Powers available, and was moving at top speed to evade Knuckles' attacks.

Shadow would still have a better chance of winning if he still retains his speed, even if his Chaos Powers are neutralized by the Master Emerald.

Knuckles would win if he can catch Shadow and dish out a strong enough punch, since it doesn't seem like Shadow takes physical hits very well.

TL;DR: Shadow wins most of the time unless Knuckles can catch him. Then Knuckles would likely knock him out easily.

Knuckles has the Thunder Arrow as a ranged ability, and he is pretty fast.

Knuckles has the Thunder Arrow as a ranged ability, and he is pretty fast.

Thunder what? Also, I'm not saying Knuckles is slow, I'm saying he is slow IN COMPARISON to Shadow and Sonic.

Thunder what? Also, I'm not saying Knuckles is slow, I'm saying he is slow IN COMPARISON to Shadow and Sonic.

His skill from the 2player mode of SA2.

EDIT: And in Sonic Battle, he could pull rocks out of the ground to throw or summon Meteors from space. 

Edited by tsz11
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't count the Thunder Arrow. It only shows up in the multiplayer of one game and doesn't really make sense.

Shadow is also much faster than Knuckles.

I wouldn't count the Thunder Arrow. It only shows up in the multiplayer of one game and doesn't really make sense.

And thus my point stands: Shadow would be the victor the majority of the time due to being able to strike down Knuckles from a distance and outmaneuver him, but if Knuckles can remain in close range and dish out a strong enough blow, he could potentially beat Shadow.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

How does it not make sense?

How does it not make sense?

Well considering I've never heard of him using the move before, it stands to reason that it wouldn't make sense.

Also, I'm thinking this should be a rule of thumb: If a power or move is used only in a non-canon game mode or is only used once and is never mentioned again at all, the ability shouldn't count.

Why would knuckles be able to summon lightning?

MASTER EMERALD POWER. Both Knuckles and Rouge had the ME Shards while also in possession of Rings during their fight where the Thunder Arrow and Black Wave were used in the story.

Well considering I've never heard of him using the move before, it stands to reason that it wouldn't make sense.

Also, I'm thinking this should be a rule of thumb: If a power or move is used only in a non-canon game mode or is only used once and is never mentioned again at all, the ability shouldn't count.

I still think that even if the ability has only been shown once or even appeared in a non canon game/-mode, it SHOULD Count since the ability existed at all.

MASTER EMERALD POWER. Both Knuckles and Rouge had the ME Shards while also in possession of Rings during their fight where the Thunder Arrow and Black Wave were used in the story.

I still think that even if the ability has only been shown once or even appeared in a non canon game/-mode, it SHOULD Count since the ability existed at all.

I suppose that is fair enough, but I'm going into this with the assumption that characters are only allowed to use their battle skills with no outside influence. Thus anything as a result of the Master Emerald wouldn't have counted anyways. Hell I even edited my OP for Shadow vs Knuckles to match this.

I suppose that is fair enough, but I'm going into this with the assumption that characters are only allowed to use their battle skills with no outside influence. Thus anything as a result of the Master Emerald wouldn't have counted anyways. Hell I even edited my OP for Shadow vs Knuckles to match this.

Shadow can use chaos powers without a chaos emerald, so by that logic, Knux can use the Master Emeralds power even if it's all the way back on the Island.

Edited by tsz11

Shadow can use chaos powers without a chaos emerald, so by that logic, Knux can use the Master Emeralds even if it's all the way back on the Island.

Shadow's Chaos Spear and Chaos Control (although granted more of a Chaos Poof due to no Chaos Emerald) have always been an inherent part of his toolset, Chaos Emerald or otherwise. So your point is invalidated because Shadow is still only using his natural abilities.

Shadow's Chaos Spear and Chaos Control (although granted more of a Chaos Poof due to no Chaos Emerald) have always been an inherent part of his toolset, Chaos Emerald or otherwise. So your point is invalidated because Shadow is still only using his natural abilities.

What I was trying to say was that they both can channel Chaos Energy, but Knuckles Chaos Energy is the Energy that comes from the Master Emerald.

...I don't think I worded that right either....

... while Knuckles has the power to nullify them with the Master Emerald.

Given enough time. You can't sit around chanting to your emerald in the middle of a fight.

Knuckles is strong, agile, and at least fairly quick, but that's about all he's got. Compared to the guy who's as fast as Sonic, can teleport/stop time, and shoot lasers, and I don't think he's got that much of a chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given enough time. You can't sit around chanting to your emerald in the middle of a fight.

Knuckles is strong, agile, and at least fairly quick, but that's about all he's got. Compared to the guy who's as fast as Sonic, can teleport/stop time, and shoot lasers, and I don't think he's got that much of a chance.

What makes you think Knuckles can't do those same things? Considering he can use the power of the Master Emerald, and has been standing in front of the thing for his entire life.

What makes you think Knuckles can't do those same things? Considering he can use the power of the Master Emerald, and has been standing in front of the thing for his entire life.

Because canonically Knuckles has never been SEEN doing any of those things, so even IF he could do it in theory, until he actually does it, it's pretty much just a what-if scenario.

What makes you think Knuckles can't do those same things?

Because he hasn't in any continuity that I give a shit about, and I'm not going to just make up abilities for him.

Alright, so, me and my brother were actually talking about a possible Shadow vs Blaze fight earlier. I said Shadow would most likely win since Blaze is even more of a glass cannon than he is, plus Shadow has more abilities at his disposal, but my bro said that Blaze could win if shadow pissed her off.

What do you guys think?

While I don't think he would win, I still think Knuckles would give Shadow a run for his money at least. Sure he doesn't have all of the fancy powers that Shadow has, but he's pretty damn tenacious and resilient and would probably have to push Shadow to his limit to keep him down for the count.