Awoo.

HEY GUYS LOOK AT THAT AWESOME-Oh it's gone.

KHCast

The problem, I think, is that modern Sonic just isn't geared towards anything but running down hallways and simple, quick reaction/memorization obstacles. Even if a set piece did have a tangible effect, in what ways could the player interact with it? Hell, what kind of space can it even take place in, given how it's built entirely around high speed forward movement?

So my advice is basically the same as always. Sonic needs to slow down a bit, and he (and the levels) needs to be designed for more robust movement rather than entirely around one direction.

• Thumbs Up 5

The failed quickstep experiment... key word there failed.

on the other hand I am toying around with these principals right now working on making a gens level, I will let you know how it turns out

The problem, I think, is that modern Sonic just isn't geared towards anything but running down hallways and simple, quick reaction/memorization obstacles. Even if a set piece did have a tangible effect, in what ways could the player interact with it? Hell, what kind of space can it even take place in, given how it's built entirely around high speed forward movement?

So my advice is basically the same as always. Sonic needs to slow down a bit, and he (and the levels) needs to be designed for more robust movement rather than entirely around one direction.

I agree definitley.  I'm not saying to try and find a way to use the boost in these kind of ways. I'd like something new that could work with what I had stated before.

@Shadz NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! The generations way of doing these was MUCH better. 

Edited by Aqua

I think a big problem is how Sonic's image has changed through out the years. TV shows, media, and games now show Sonic as some guy that is supposed to be speeding 300mph everywhere. I'm not exactly sure SEGA will ever step down from the Colors/Unleashed/Generations/Rush Sonic.

Edit: Also, how did the "QTE" experiment fail? QTE is now a standard in game, well improved upon. Colors just simplified it and Generations uses analog "QTE" with finishers.

Edited by Autosaver

It's sad that the series has become what it's mostly stereotyped as "SPEED, SPEED, SPEED" so yeah, I kinda miss being able to move in all eight directions or at least having the option on what I wanted to do in a level rather than being forced down a set path with only one or two directions.

Also, I can see the inevitable boost vs. spin dash debate coming, soo yeah, Im prepared for this shit.

Edit: Also, how did the "QTE" experiment fail? QTE is now a standard in game, well improved upon. Colors just simplified it and Generations uses analog "QTE" with finishers.

They're all pretty much shit.

honestly, now I do see why sonic doesnt spin anymore, however I dont think that doesnt mean we shouldnt see any type of roll/spin, as there are a couple of characters who lend themselves to it if we ever get back multiple playble characters. For example, ever since KC Vector has always fit into a donut/wheel style roll, I mean it just makes sense, you got a big tough character, it should be able to have a move with decent momentum, however it will have terrible steering.... or at least thats my thought on it

Actually now that I think about it, the spin dash could probably be used more effectively as a way of interacting with levels. Not trying to start anything, thats just my view.

They're all pretty much shit.

I don't really how. It's not like me mashing the A button in Colors had me thinking "wow what an awful piece of game design". It was pretty much a innoffenseive event that just broke up the montomy a bit.

Then again, I really shouldn't be adding to another Modern Sonic argument considering that's where this topic seems to be headed already.

Edited by Soniman

I don't really how. It's not like me mashing the A button in Colors had me thinking "wow what an awful piece of game design". It was pretty much a innoffenseive event that just broke up the montomy a bit.

It's not the most offensive thing in these games, but that doesn't mean it isn't shit. All 3 take you out of anything even resembling Sonic gameplay. Unleashed has you choosing routes (or between life and death) by inputting an arbitrary (and often random) sequence of buttons, which is basically the most boring thing ever. Colors neuters the challenge and risk of them entirely, but doesn't do a damn thing to make them fun. And Generations just has you watching/making Sonic pose for a while before you get back to actually playing the game.

And if a game needs such shitty QTEs to break up the monotony, they really, really need to reexamine their base gameplay, because it's obviously not keeping people's attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

But that's what this innovative piece of game design is for tongue.png94557120081205screen010lj7.jpg

GTFO!

QTE's, even in awesome games like Metal Gear Rising, are among the worst ideas to ever come out of Gaming ever since it's become so mainstream. Even worse when you have to press more than one button for Unleashed or else you die in some places.

I may allow some games to slide with them the less intrusive they are, but overall, they're annoying to have a character do all the awesome things you could do when you're given more options than just a button press for an action in a cutscene.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not the most offensive thing in these games, but that doesn't mean it isn't shit. All 3 take you out of anything even resembling Sonic gameplay. Unleashed has you choosing routes (or between life and death) by inputting an arbitrary (and often random) sequence of buttons, which is basically the most boring thing ever. Colors neuters the challenge and risk of them entirely, but doesn't do a damn thing to make them fun. And Generations just has you watching/making Sonic pose for a while before you get back to actually playing the game.

And if a game needs such shitty QTEs to break up the monotony, they really, really need to reexamine their base gameplay, because it's obviously not keeping people's attention.

I still don't completley get how mashing "A" for 5 seconds is such a huge crime as far as it's concerend. Sonic does cool poses, you get some stylistic visuals and sounds (the announcer and ascending text scale of "cool" to "amazing", all in the span of five seconds in a (generally) 3 minute stage. What's the issue here again? It's essentially the same thing as in Mario Galaxy, when Mario transports via warp/launch stars and he flies through the sky for a few seconds showing off some nice visuals and what not.

I can see this kind of thing as an issue with Unleashed where it's not all that visual and is tiral and error. But with Colors? Not at all.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still don't completley get how mashing "A" for 5 seconds is such a huge crime as far as it's concerend.

They're not "a huge crime", they're just kind of shitty.

It's essentially the same thing as when in Mario Galaxy, when Mario transports via warp/launch stars he flies through the sky for a few seconds showing off some nice visuals and what not.

These aren't exactly the high point of the Galaxies either. But the bigger difference is that Sonic games have more of a focus on flow than Mario games. Mario can have some good flow when you know what you're doing, but it's built more for the player to stop and go as necessary. Sonic wants to keep moving, to preserve his speed, his energy, and QTEs break the flow for the sake of a crappy microgame.

They're not "a huge crime", they're just kind of shitty.These aren't exactly the high point of the Galaxies either. But the bigger difference is that Sonic games have more of a focus on flow than Mario games. Mario can have some good flow when you know what you're doing, but it's built more for the player to stop and go as necessary. Sonic wants to keep moving, to preserve his speed, his energy, and QTEs break the flow for the sake of a crappy microgame.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly that you want in 3D Sonic? I mean, I can tell you don't like the Modern Sonic stuff. Not sure how you feel about the Adventure gameplay; but what is your ideal 3D Sonic gameplay?

If you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly that you want in 3D Sonic? I mean, I can tell you don't like the Modern Sonic stuff. Not sure how you feel about the Adventure gameplay; but what is your ideal 3D Sonic gameplay?

Well, the Adventure gameplay was closer than the Modern gameplay. I want something that properly brings the Genesis Sonic mechanics into 3D; running, rolling, spindashing, etc. Add in the homing attack (with some adjustments) since hitting things in 3D is more difficult than in 2D, maybe the drift or something like it to help with turning. Make the levels reasonably wide and with plenty of curves to support wall and ceiling running; none of this flat ground square hallway bullshit. I imagine it being a bit like a skateboarding game crossed with a platformer with the physics cranked up to Impossible.
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'd really appreciate a rather whopping nerf to the boost function by this point. It's so spamable and so easy to refill that you can basically play almost an entire level with the button held down.  And since boost grants invincibility to monsters and some other hazards (You literally just bash them out of the way), it can be kinda game breaking.

I'll give a personal opinion here and say, I feel the controls were much tighter in the Adventure era than they are for the current crop of games. Generations felt far too slippery for my liking.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know I agree completely w/everyones opinion well I can't say everyones, but in my opinion yes Sonic needs to slow down. No more linearity, I hated Gens. and colors for those 2 reasons, they're not bad games, but gens. levels feel too tight and closed in, I had the same problem w/heroes and shadow too, oh and adventure 2, SADX did everything right in my opinion, lots of platforming and speed, but the game will reward you for both, it's one of the main reasons SADX is my all time favorite Sonic game. As for 06...eh it's 06 nuff said.

Edited by Manly man
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay guys, the main point of this topic was how should Sonic games now use set pieces and events. We have tons of gameplay topic's that focus around the 3D games, and if you can relate it to the main questions, that's great, but it really isn't looking like that...

Well, the Adventure gameplay was closer than the Modern gameplay. I want something that properly brings the Genesis Sonic mechanics into 3D; running, rolling, spindashing, etc. Add in the homing attack (with some adjustments) since hitting things in 3D is more difficult than in 2D, maybe the drift or something like it to help with turning. Make the levels reasonably wide and with plenty of curves to support wall and ceiling running; none of this flat ground square hallway bullshit. I imagine it being a bit like a skateboarding game crossed with a platformer with the physics cranked up to Impossible.

I myself have been waiting for something like this as well...

But something of this nature would probably take Sonic Team years, seeing how the closest they got to this was Adventure.

Okay guys, the main point of this topic was how should Sonic games now use set pieces and events. We have tons of gameplay topic's that focus around the 3D games, and if you can relate it to the main questions, that's great, but it really isn't looking like that...

Oh, my bad... got a little carried away.

Well..when you get down to it, the modern games are essentially a bunch of set pieces, which ties into it's gameplay. So gameplay discussion was inevitable.

Well..when you get down to it, the modern games are essentially a bunch of set pieces, which ties into it's gameplay. So gameplay discussion was inevitable.

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly does that ential? As I don't really understand what you exactly mean by that.