Awoo.

HEY GUYS LOOK AT THAT AWESOME-Oh it's gone.

KHCast

The "platforming" is mostly jumping on square blocks, or a just a bunch of floating enemies for a homing attack chain. =/

But that platforming is not a setpiece. Nor is it a boost hallway. That's the point I was trying to make, I said nothing about the actual quality of the platforming. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

The point I was making is that the majority of the game is a set piece, and few bits of platforming here and there doesn't automatically disqualify that notion.

• Thumbs Up 1

The point I was making is that the majority of the game is a set piece, and few bits of platforming here and there doesn't automatically disqualify that notion.

It is when it's damn well a lot more than "just a few bits" especially in the case of Colors and (to a lesser extent) Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

It is when it's damn well a lot more than "just a few bits" especially in the case of Colors and (to a lesser extent) Generations.

Generations didn't really have it to a lesser extent: I'd even say it was better then Colours in that regard because more of the platforming was in 3d IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations didn't really have it to a lesser extent: I'd even say it was better then Colours in that regard because more of the platforming was in 3d IMO. 

That's true, I was thinking of platforming strctly in the 2D sense

Edited by Soniman

That's because you're comparing it only to those games(Which while better executed, it's more or less the same). If you compared to other platformers, or hell just the earlier 3D games, then my point still stands; the series is relying too much on being flash and cool with no actual substance, or at least the substance that's there isn't really notable.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's because you're comparing it only to those games(Which while better executed, it's more or less the same). If you compared to other platformers, or hell just the earlier 3D games, then my point still stands; the series is relying too much on being flash and cool with no actual substance, or at least the substance that's there isn't really notable.

Again, there's that line. You have something like Unleashed which is apprentley the "flash" problem, so you get something Colors which does the opposite and it's still a problem, Generations attemps to find a decent middle ground but again it's a problem. Im not gonna fall back on the "unpleaseable fanbase" excuse, but I have to imagine that Sonic Team is having a hard time tyring to find the perfect ratio (mostly because everyone seems to have diffrent scale on flash vs substance).

• Thumbs Up 2

Again, there's that line. You have something like Unleashed which is apprentley the "flash" problem, so you get something Colors which does the opposite and it's still a problem, Generations attemps to find a decent middle ground but again it's a problem. Im not gonna fall back on the "unpleaseable fanbase" excuse, but I have to imagine that Sonic Team is having a hard time tyring to find the perfect ratio (mostly because everyone seems to have diffrent scale on flash vs substance).

Like I Said, you're only comparing those three games alone. Even if Colors or Generations have better uses of what you've described, the gameplay is still very much dominated by the boost, and it very much is still focused on "Going Fast and looking Cool". What most of us want isn't some mystical perfection of gameplay, but something we can actually be interested in instead of just pressing a button, holding up and letting the game do the work for us.

I don't really think we're as unpleasable as you guys are making us seem, we just have higher standards for gameplay beyond what the games are currently giving us and arguing why we feel this way. I don't see how that makes us "unpleasable". I never said Colors or Generations are problems in themselves, they're definitely better than Unleashed, but I still prefer a less boost-centric gameplay and arguing this point doesn't make me "unpleasable"

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Generations didn't do a whole lot to find a middle ground. And the question's being framed wrong; it's not as simple as just balancing the two, it's about how you go about it, and I don't think the modern gameplay has much to offer.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Like I Said, you're only comparing those three games alone. Even if Colors or Generations have better uses of what you've described, the gameplay is still very much dominated by the boost, and it very much is still focused on "Going Fast and looking Cool". What most of us want isn't some mystical perfection of gameplay, but something we can actually be interested in instead of just pressing a button, holding up and letting the game do the work for us.

And like I said, I believe this is a very gross exagerration. When I play Colors, it doesn't play like a game that's dominated like the boost, it's more like a game that happens to have a boost in it, I recall being in full control of my character 90% of the time and not being strung along by the level or the boost or whatever. Regardless, this isn't the place to have the 978th "Why the the boost is terrible and why it isn't" disucssion so ill just end the debate here.

I don't really think we're as unpleasable as you guys are making us seem, we just have higher standards for gameplay beyond what the games are currently giving us and arguing why we feel this way. I don't see how that makes us "unpleasable". I never said Colors or Generations are problems in themselves, they're definitely better than Unleashed, but I still prefer a less boost-centric gameplay and arguing this point doesn't make me "unpleasable"

This entire rant (and subsequentley the other one in pet peeve) is completley uneeded because I wasn't saying that at all.

Generations didn't do a whole lot to find a middle ground. And the question's being framed wrong; it's not as simple as just balancing the two, it's about how you go about it, and I don't think the modern gameplay has much to offer.

If that's all there is to it then fine, no need to continue the arguement in that case.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

And like I said, I believe this is a very gross exagerration. When I play Colors, it doesn't play like a game that's dominated like the boost, it's more like a game that happens to have a boost in it, I recall being in full control of my character 90% of the time and not being strung along by the level or the boost or whatever. Regardless, this isn't the place to have the 978th "Why the the boost is terrible and why it isn't" disucssion so ill just end the debate here.

Even if you feel it's an exaggeration, is my point suddenly not relevant. If you don't feel the the way I do then fine, but I'm not gonna change my mind because someone doesn't see things the way I do.

This entire rant (and subsequentley the other one in pet peeve) is completley uneeded because I wasn't saying that at all.

You probably shouldn't have brought it up then.

• Thumbs Up 1