Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

Sonic Colours. It's true that the bosses are way too easy and offer little challenge, but some of the bosses in Unleashed...they weren't fun at all! And comparing the final boss battles...MOTW vs Super Sonic (AGAIN) in a dragged out, boring as hell final boss battle or Dr Eggman himself vs Sonic in a fun and slightly challenging final boss battle? Obviously, it's the latter.

Naturally, to allow for a fair competition, I won't be mentioning any of the other NPCs in Unleashed, because while they are all awesome in their own fashion, I don't want to unfairly tip the scales in favor of Unleashed too much since Colors has almost no NPCs by comparison. Thus, main cast only.

UNLEASHED:

Sonic: I kinda have to be honest, I don't really remember most of Daytime Sonic's personality, since there weren't really that many scenes that showed off any major personality traits or changes. As Werehog Sonic however, things get more interesting, as it seems to be implied that Sonic trying to maintain a facade of being alright with the changes, but the encounter with Amy shows that he doesn't really like his corrupted form very much due to it rendering him unrecognizable to someone he cares about. What's also notable is the way he acts in-game while in his Werehog form. He is more easily enraged, using that as a super-powered method of breaking face. Despite all of this, he manages to maintain his sense of righteousness and tries to help out a friend in need (Chip), which really makes the ending all the more effective. Also, the ending cutscenes were really good at conveying the strong sense of fear and pain he must have felt from being stripped of his Werehog form, and his determination to get Chip out of harms way, despite not having enough strength to even stand up. It's just a pity that the lack of a middle in the actual story ruined any chance of his interactions being fleshed out even further than what was already present.

Chip: He is a cowardly character, a rare occurrence in a universe where being a confident badass is pretty much in the job description (with the exception of Tails initially, but that got smoothed out overtime). He is also shown to be fairly gluttonous ("Want some chocolate?") and naive, evidenced by his wide-eyed enthusiasm for the various foods and cultures he will see. The one thing that really sold me on this character, on top of the above, is the subtle humor his actions create during the cutscenes. I always found myself watching him snatch the teapot to get the tea for himself, or him kung-fu kicking Sonic in the back of the head after he was throw out of the way like a piece of litter, far more than I do actually paying attention to what's really happening. What also stuck out was the brotherly nature of his relationship with Sonic, as referenced by the above, and the surprisingly strong bond they show despite having only been around each other for a short time. The way he expresses his thankfulness to Sonic for introducing him to a world that he has existed in for so long, but never really understood all that well, really wraps up his arc well. Once again, it's a pity the plot cut any further interaction short, but at least Night of the Werehog helped to patch things up a little.

Tails: He has no personality outside of a short period of cowardice at the beginning (although maybe he thought the Dark Gaia Spawn were ghosts or something), and mostly served as a chauffeur pilot and tech guy. I honestly feel they should have either expanded on his interactions, or just left him out completely, since IIRC Sonic can fly his own plane well enough.

Amy: Her role is niche, but it's done fairly effectively. She initially doesn't recognize Sonic in his Werehog form, but once she does know who it is under the fur, she instantly supports him and has total confidence in him. Heck, you can even choose to take her out on a date (possibly foreshadowing Black Knight). What makes her much better than her previous incarnations is the fact that she does all of the above WITHOUT being a crazy stalker-esque fangirl like in Heroes. Yeah, the fact that she SOMEHOW mistook the burly Werehog for Sonic brings her eyesight into question, but eh, drama I guess.

Prof. Pickle: He is eccentric, a lover of fine cuisine, and wouldn't mind a souvenir every once in a while. His interactions are few, but he adds something that other support cast members can't: a sense of wisdom. He's the one who helps translate the Gaia Manuscripts, he's the one who delivers good (to Sonic, though obvious to us) advice when needed (or bribed XD), and is also the only character to suffer a temporary breakdown when all seems lost. Overall, he's a background character, but he's a good one and one I hope we see in the future.

Eggman: This guy is bombastic, egotistical, and awesome as ever. His few scenes show that he is the kind of guy who doesn't like to admit he screwed up (Chaos Emeralds and early awakening of Dark Gaia being prime examples) and is frankly so funny most of the time that any scene he shows up in is automatically better. That being said, his awesomeness is well complemented by the next character...

SA-55/Orbot: A deadpan snarker of a butler robot, who isn't afraid to laugh at Eggman's expense, point out the stupid flaws in his planning and his hastiness, and rounds it all off with possibly one of the funniest scenes in Unleashed at the end. Kind of a pity he feels a little downgraded in Colors, but I'll get to that when I get to him there.

COLORS:

Sonic: I can definitely say he got a boost in the characterization department. Snarky, hammy, mildly jerkish here, a bit of an ego there, and all around a very vibrant character. His interaction with most of the characters (even the dead robots) helped to show off his character as a...show off, while also allowing for some quirks to show up, thus making him a more interesting character compared to past portrayals. His bromance with Tails is probably one of the best he has had (ever), and really does a good job of showing that he cares for Tails, while also showing that the two have come to see each other as equals, and thus allow for some ribbing and joking around here and there.

Tails: The one thing I will say was a huge improvement from Unleashed, Tails is much snarkier, more tech-savvy, and isn't afraid to rib his brother Sonic, thus giving a more authentic feel to a relationship that frankly always came off as stale and informed at best. His sense of loyalty is best displayed (and then later neutered within the same cutscene) by when he jumps in the path of the mind control beam despite having no idea what it does, and the sadly cut short fight between him and Sonic really shows that Sonic himself is loyal to Tails. The ending, while somewhat "meh" when it comes to building a sense of threat in the Nega Wisp Armor, does do a good job of showing Sonic's concern for Tails' safety. Overall, very good.

Yacker:...I cannot explain it very well, and frankly his problems are the same as Tails in Unleashed, but I really just don't CARE about this little bugger whatsoever. Like I said, he suffers the problem of not really being used very well, and generally having zero personality whatsoever, but he bugs me far more than Tails, because I already know stuff about Tails, so I'm not as bothered by his lack of personality as much as this alien. Yacker is SUPPOSED to be in a major role, far more than Unleashed Tails, so why is he just as bland as, hell MORE BLAND, despite having more scenes where he actually shows up? There are so many missed opportunities with this guy, and all of them were wasted. Hell, Yacker disappears at one point and the game acts like we are supposed to care, but because he is so underdeveloped, I DON'T CARE AT ALL. If you are going to make a character have a major role, give him some actual development so that I would actually care for his plight, or as far as I am concerned, he's just a cardboard cutout!

Orbot/Cubot: I'm not really able to explain why, but something about Orbot feels off...namely, how subservient he is compared to SA-55. His snark is limited, he spends more time just helping Eggman, and as a result, it feels like a downgrade in personality. Sure he's lazy at times, but this is rare outside of two cutscenes, whereas SA-55 demonstrated a great deal of personality in one cutscene. It's not bad, but it feels watered down. Lucky for him, he has a new companion that makes up for it, Cubot. Holy hell is this guy crazy. His constantly changing voice gives a sense that he is rather eccentric, and really makes it more interesting to see what voice he is going to end up changing into, and his stupidity is so exaggerated that the one moment where he catches Eggman off-guard becomes even funnier. Congrats Cubot, you made a good save for your robot buddy Orbot here.

Eggman: Once again, still awesome, and his announcements are comedy gold. 'Nuff said.

Overall:

I can't decide to be honest. Both are good at what they do, and while both suffer from plot interrupting/screwing up interactions and potential points for characterization, I honestly can't find much fault with either.

So, Unleashed = Colors in this part.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Well I don't think the little colorful kiddy wisps have a chance against Chip (Light Gaia) or Sonic the Werehog, yeah nobody likes 'Night stages', but we're talking about the characters here, Sonic the Werehog had an essential role in the game. The amnesiac Chip's story was quite interesting.

Now the humans in that game looked more like 'Mobiusly' people than 'Earthly' people. The professor with the long nose and tiny eyes hidden by his eyebrows, and the plumb Holoskans. So even as 'world' characters Sonic Unleashed wins this one for me.

Technically Colors didn't have many new characters, I'm not sure if the wisps are supposed to be characters, not to mention the character recolors...

Now let's move to the characters both games had, Sonic, yeah, I think he represented the modern Sonic with all his aspects in both games. Tails and Amy had a role in Unleashed  (I'm not sure what role Amy really has other than following Sonic wherever he goes...), Tails' essential role was to travel with Sonic from a continent to another, so basically Sonic was not the only character the game focused on, actually he shared almost the same amount with Chip. I'm not sure, but I think Sonic Colors focused on Sonic more than it's supposed to.

1 up for Sonic Unleashed.

Hmm.

Well, I can easily tell you what I prefer: Colors. I like Sonic as a cocky bastard always smart-talking his enemies. It just makes him seem a lot more lively. I also like Tails as the sarcastic best friend who isn't afraid to tell Sonic when he looks like an idiot, but still shares a special bond with him.

Eggman is portrayed greatly as well. He's hammy, boastful, and over-the-top, but not at the expense of his threat level (whether the plot wants to make a huge deal out of it or not, he planned to use the energy of an entire race of aliens - which is either slavery or genocide - to power a machine that would brainwash a whole planet), However, despite his boastful hamminess, he still manages to be the straight man between him, Orbot, who tends to make fun of him and put him down, and Cubot, who's just an idiot.  It reminds me of AOSTH in some ways, and I like it for that.

Looking at it from an objective standpoint, Sonic is a lot more calm in Unleashed, never really cracking wise to anyone but Eggman. His cockiness is still there (showing off his real form to Chip, implying he could easily jog over an entire ocean if he wanted to), but it's a lot more subtle. He's also gets more light shown on his good-guy traits (asking the people of Mazuri if they're all right, "Do I need any reason to help out a friend?", etc.). Another aspect of his personality we usually don't see is shown is shown as well; when Amy hugs him while he's in Werehog mode, and thinks she's mistaken him for someone else, it leaves him pretty dejected. Hey, I'd imagine not having your biggest fangirl recognize you can be pretty devastating, and I think it's the only time he feels insecure about his new form.

That's not to say Sonic is completely one-note in Colors (not as much as people say, anyway). For example, when Sonic learns that Eggman may be using the Wisps in some way, he doesn't smile and crack a joke (that comes later), he outright says how "low" that is, even for Eggman. Then, when they discover the Nega-Wisp factory, no jokes are made at all. Sonic just looks disgusted and Tails afraid. Finally, when Eggman brainwashes Tails for a short period of time, Sonic, once again, stops all jokes and gets straight-up pissed, trying to get past Tails to either lay the smackdown on Eggman, try to shut down the machine, or both. Then, when Tails is released, the first thing he does is ask  in a very distressed tone if he's all right, obviously worried about him.

But yeah, I've already said which one I'm giving my vote to. I just prefer a livelier Sonic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how Tails is kind of a blank slate in Unleashed. He doesn't really have any discernible personality. He's pretty much just there to take you places and report your progress.

Edited by Big McLargehuge

EDIT: I forgot to mention how Tails is kind of a blank slate in Unleashed. He doesn't really have any discernible personality. He's pretty much just there to take you places and report your progress.

Yacker's a blank slate, and his role is arguably bigger than Tails'...well it SHOULD have been, considering he was part of the race of aliens who were getting fucked over by Eggman, yet they barely did anything with him. D:<

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Yacker's a blank slate, and his role is arguably bigger than Tails'...well it SHOULD have been, considering he was part of the race of aliens who were getting fucked over by Eggman, yet they barely did anything with him. D:<

Yacker is happy and playful throughout almost the entire game (which makes no sense considering the situation but I digress). Tails... isn't really much of anything from what I can remember.

I already gushed about Tails back in the Story part.

Now this one is a definite Colors winner for me.

But I admit that there's a bias. You see, Colors brought back something I've been missing since...well, forever, and that thing is a proper depiction of Sonic and Tails as best friends. Tails's hero worship characterisation was a good idea in Sonic Adventure when it was a major part of his character arc for him to step out of Sonic's shadow and save Station Square, then defeat Eggman all on his own. Unfortunately, that character development got completely forgotten for years to come. Tails's job was to compliment Sonic, provide exposition, and then step aside. Every game had a new character for Sonic to fight/befriend, leaving the interactions with Tails by the wayside. But Colors finally set it right: Finally showing me a character that I would honestly believe is Sonic's best friend - not a hero worhipper, but a strong companion whose company Sonic enjoys. The simple depiction of Tails as somebody willing to poke fun at Sonic did more for his character than expositing on a thousand cosmic horrors.

Sonic's interactions and character depictions alongside Chip were great, but he can't compare to Tails.

Eggman meanwhile manages to be both goofy comic relief and a genuine threat to our heroes. While Eggman is fretting and joking about as Sonic takes down each of his generators, he's got an ace in the hole that Sonic's efforts have no effect on, and to the doctor's credit he never lets it slip until it's too late. Can you just imagine what would've happened if the wreckage from the first boss hadn't damaged the planetary mind control laser cannon? Sonic and Tails are standing around celebrating their victory with the Wisps, then suddenly a giant purple laser hits Earth. Just...BAM! Eggman won the game.

Nobody believed Eggman wouldn't get kicked out of the main threat category when Dark Gaia was unleashed at the beginning of Sonic Unle- yeah, that. But in Colors Eggman is the main threat from beginning to end, and even when his plans have fallen apart and the amusement park is being wrecked, he still goes after Sonic personally to settle the score.

Finally, there's Sonic. He's his general fun-loving robot-smashing self through the whole adventure and I wouldn't have it any other way. The strength of Tails's characterisation strengthens Sonic's. His banter with Tails gives him personality beyond "Eggman BAD - me stop him!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm.. Tails and Eggman were great in Colors but...Everyone else was much better in Unleashed not to mention that there were more characters in Unleashed. Chip and Werehog (while I don't really like either of them) were characterized well as well as Amy and that professor (whom I don't like as well).

On the other hand only Tails and Eggman were fine in Colors. Sonic was a cocky bastard and Yacker was dull and I didn't care about him at all.

Oh yeah, Eggman was able to capture the friggin' Super Sonic and force to transform him back to normal. THAT was THE Eggman I want to see more of!

Sonic Unleashed all the way.

Edited by ArtFenix

Professor Pickle or GTFO! I don't care how good Colors was, Unleashed had Pickle for fucks sake!

But seriously, I can't give a point to either of them.

Unleashed does an impressive job at giving the world a sense of scale that complements the characterization of the cast involved. The main characters are Sonic, Chip, and Eggman, with Orbot and Pickle being the supports and Tails and Amy as minor characters while still being above the NPCs. Eggman has shown to be very hard a character to mess up, although him still unearthing eldritch abominations was probably the only flaw you could amount to him in this game.

The interactions between Sonic and Chip are something to note. You have to keep in mind that Chip is a character who never got to actually experience the world, always putting it back together after Dark Gaia broke it apart. Now he gets to see the people who live on the planet's surface, but it's bittersweet in that he will never see Sonic again due to having to hibernate for a million years as the cycle repeats itself. In hindsight, Sonic is actually being a very sentimental character as he gives someone the experience they've never had until now, which only adds to the sadness of Chip going back into slumber after their bout with Dark Gaia. (and only adds more fuel to my hate of one-shot characters) And considering how I was so ready to hate Chip the moment I saw him, only to actually grow to like him says a lot about the bullet he dodged with someone who would rather spend more time working on the cast we have now, with a few exceptions.

And then there's Prof. Pickle. I don't think I need to explain that.

There's really not much to say for Tails and Amy when they just manage to be above a background NPC, but for Amy I can definitely say that her character improved a lot more from how she was in previous titles like Heroes.

Now as for Colors, it's pretty much a Saturday Mourning Cartoon. Basically the villain is up to something with his two goofball henchmen and you need to stop him. Now this is the funniest we've seen of characterization since ever, and I mean that in that it goes for intentional humor instead of accidentally parodying itself or otherwise unintentionally hilarious. Once again, Eggman ends up being the better characterized of the cast, and this is amplified with Orbot and Cubot adding to the hijinks. On top of that Eggman is flat out genre-savvy; not once does Sonic, or even the player for that matter, figure out what he was planning to do until he commences his operation, but by then it fails if only due to a fluke incident on Sonic's part and he was none-the-wiser all the way through beyond Eggman sapping energy from the Wisps. This is the Eggman I want to see in the future.

Tails gets a boost after being a minor character in the previous game, and here it seems like the writers actually remembered his characterization from the Adventures and gave more to him. He's snarky, helpful, and a lot more interesting than he was in the series's dark ages. And that he was willing to take a shot from the mind ray in place of Sonic shows the strength of his friendship.

Sonic is a bit of a hit or miss, mostly a hit, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the faults. He's more of a jokester than ever before, and he has a lot more energy than usual. However, some of the jokes feel forced and unnecessary, and it only hurts it more that this is where Sonic ends up gaining some traits of a boring invincible hero.

Unfortunately, Colors characterization winds up being too underwhelming compared to Unleashed, while Unleashed's characterization is missing some notes compared to Colors. It's as if one took the weaknesses of each other from their strengths. The faults of both characterizations from the titles should be noted and blended together to make a stronger one should the writers pay mind to it.

• Thumbs Up 3

very good post

I... hate that I keep doing this, but this guy said almost everything I wanted to say. I do want to say I was especially impressed with Amy in Unleashed considering the way she's (mostly) been since SA2 and every game after.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh Joy, here we go.

Guess I'll do similar to Missile did:

Unleashed:

Sonic: The intro cutscene finally brings back that forgotten cockiness that he was lacking for ten years at that point. You can tell Sonic is having fun, and not really putting forth any real effort. His arrogance causes him to make a lapse in judgment and Eggman was able to take advantage and managed to accomplish his plans, and put a serious dent in Sonic's ego. From here I kinda wish the game focused on Sonic coming to terms with that happened and try to fix his mistake while overcoming his own ego, but....yea it kinda stops. After the intro, Sonic shows no signs of being affected by his Werehog form on a personal level(Well there's one cutscene,but nothing really comes from it aside from the generic "Heart too strong to lose yourself" crap. And through out the game, Sonic doesn't really display any noticeable personality traits. It's definitely a step up from everything Post-SA2, but still a little on the bland side.

Chip: Chip's...alright. I mean, the game tries to make us care about him with his whole amnesia subplot, but it never builds it up or develops it so the whole revelation that he's Light Gaia comes off as a bit forced. I do like that scene with him and Sonic after the reveal tho, it was genuinely touching. Whether he's cute & funny or annoying is a YMMV, so take that with a grain of salt. I thought his humor harmless.

Eggman: He's finally back to his old menacing self. First thing he does is trick Sonic, and blow up the earth, badass. Sadly...this is his only high point in the game as for most of it, he just sits on his ass complaining about things. I mean, his personality is spot-on, but he doesn't really do anything to further his plans or hinder Sonic, so the whole "Eggmanland" revaluation doesn't have the oomph it should have.

Tails: ....Yea, doesn't really have much of a presence in the game as his only purpose is to just fly Sonic from continent to continent. His friendship with Pickle is never really elaborated on, and he hardly interacts with any of the main characters. Also, this is the point when Tails developed his "weakling" personality, and it still pisses me off.

Amy: She's so much more tolerable in this game than almost in any other modern interpretation. Her crush on Sonic is still obvious, but she's no longer going on about marriage, or being a violent psychopath. When she finds out about Sonic's condition, she's genuinely  worried about him and promises to stay by his side. She also still has her Tsundere traits(Ya know, jokingly getting angry if Sonic talks to other girls) but far more subtle. She plays a nice supporting role, and I hope future games bring her back to this.

Prof. Pickle: It was nice to have another human character that wasn't either bland or annoying. Prof. Pickle plays something of the absent minded professor in the game, but man is he entertaining. He's just a jolly old guy that has lots of wisdom. I hope future games bring him back as a sort of wise old mentor to the younger heroes. Hell, he can play Chuck's role for Tails from Sonic X.

Orbot: His straight-laced sarcasm is amazing. Not much else to be said, that I can't cover in Colors anyway.

Unleashed had pretty solid characterization for the most part. It's not the most interesting, but it's passable.

Now for the black sheep:

Colors:

Sonic: The writers finally remembered Sonic is supposed to have a personality, and boy does it show. Unlike previous incarnations, Sonic loves to hear himself talk and his ego has taken a massive increase. Fortunately, the game treats him even less cooler than he actually is. Tails playfully calls him out on his boasting once or twice, and it's pretty clear Sonic is nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is. However, his new-found follies aside, the core of his character is still there; he's still all about stopping Eggman and saving the Wisp and despite their banter, he shows his big brother instinct when it counts towards Tails. This is probably one of the few games where Sonic is given such a rounded and dynamic characterization, and it was such a warm welcome. Now I know his jokes are definitely something to be desired, but they're only one part and I'm not going to define the character based on a few badlines. If I did, I'd have to do the same for every other character

:P

Tails: While Tails` personality is still a bit on the reserved side, he does show more characterization than what he normally showed prior. Tails has a lot more wit this time around, he pokes fun at Sonic and isn't afraid to call him out on his habits which makes for some amusing interactions. Although the fact that he willfully believes Eggman to not be up to an evil plan could make few scratch their heads; Tails is arguably most Sonic's most frequent ally, so you'd think he'd be savvy enough to know by now. I guess they were trying to bring back his childish naivete, but it just contrasts a lot with his more reserved, sarcastic personality. Also, he's still a presented as a weakling, god I'm so sick of this shit; Tails you've fought alongside Sonic for years, why the hell does a generic Eggman mech frighten you, for fuck's sake man, grow some balls. So aside from further wimpifying his character, I got no real problem with Tails.

Eggman: He's more or less the same from Unleashed, but now him and Sonic can engage is some snark to snark combat, and it is glorious. His PA announcements are gold too. He's a lot better at taking action than in Unleashed, but he still needs to step up his game. Although the fact that he lost due to circumstance this time around rather than Sonic actively foiling him irks the fuck out of me. 

Orbot/Cubot: Orobot is a lot less sarcastic this time around, and more...butlerish? I mean, the opening movie shows him to have some sort of disdain for Eggman, but it doesn't really show in game. I miss his sarcasm. Cubot is....something, he's definitely interesting tho and his voice chip gag was fairly amusing. They serve as nice comedic foil for Eggman, and I hope they come back along with Metal Sonic so they can form the ultimate evil team of awesome.

Colors had some hit or miss characterization depending on who you ask; some like the more comedic direction, some think it's the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise(even tho I think that's a large exaggeration, come on people =\). But one thing's for sure, it definitely made people rethink about the characters.

Imma have to give it to Colors(*Le Gasp*). Unleashed has solid characterization, I'll give it that much, but it wasn't really anything we weren't used to seeing at that point; Sonic's a super awesome hero, Chip is cute, etc. etc. It's just...bland, not terrible characterization  just very run of the mill. So it just didn't resonate with me. Colors, for better or worse, brought some much needed change to the characters; They emote a lot more, and their interactions feel organic and it makes for a much richer characterization. The humor definitely is what's holding it back, and very juvenile; but I can see some potential if they would just let the character's personalities produce the humor; don't try to be funny because that's when you usually fail at doing so. 

Professor Pickle or GTFO! I don't care how good Colors was, Unleashed had Pickle for fucks sake!

"Being picky about sandwiches is my only defining character trait".

Already said this back in the story. This is a no contest. Every character except Eggman is based off of archetypes and nothing is done with them. Chip is more intolerable than Navi and is turned into a living McGuffin by the point he actually starts mattering in the story. It barely adds anything to the character and actually lessens his impact somewhat, just like how Tetra got locked inside a cupboard for half of Wind Waker when it turns out she's Zelda. It's the most predictable plot twist in the history of Sonic plot twists as there is literally no other reason the game would have you drag a candy-loving amnesiac for half of the story that you "just so happened" to land on. Tails' role is inconsequential. I can't even remember half of all the NPCs except the reporter chick and I forget even what her personality was. Amy is in for one significant scene that's supposed to give Sonic some Werehog drama but even that fails to last for all but one scene and her role is akin to that of every single game prior where she mistakes Sonic for someone else. At times it feels like Unleashed actually strengthened some of the characters' prior weaknesses instead of improving them.

Character doesn't equate characterization because Unleashed barely had any and what it had was barebones and run-of-the-mill. It was predictable, I didn't get the sense that any characters were anything other but do-gooders or one-track minds.

I'm too tired of raving about Colors at this point but along with the portrayal having actual dynamic between the characters it gave the sense that Sonic at least was a tool personality wise and that we were supposed to laugh at it. Which is good. I like lame heroes, it's part of the reason why Travis Touchdown is my favorite protagonist. It gives the player a sense of "look at you thinking you're some sort of hot shot", and I'm glad Tails is there to grow some balls for his sake.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'll do this on a character-by-character basis.

Sonic

Unleashed: Am I the only one who thought that Sonic's curious quietness in a lot of this game's cutscenes was likely due to the influence of Dark Gaia? He has a much more subdued manner to him and to me, feels like a character whose actions and body language spoke louder than words, the animation for the latter being really good and therefore convincing. He's a character of subtlety though as a contrast, his fighting moves in Werehog form I think epitomize a very funny sense of whimsy and are actually indicative of how creative Sonic can be, utilizing his form's properties in a very effective manner. I for one found it intriguing just how much of an effect the transformation has on his personality; He's not hesitant to howl if he gets off a particularly good combo or rank at the end of a stage and he obviously has an even shorter temper and as shown in NOTW, his temper becomes so bad that when Baker taunts him in photos, he loses all sense of rationality and begins throwing an almighty tantrum, being so consumed by rage that Baker even manages to strike him head-on and knock him out.

Sonic has his quirks in Unleashed particularly his apparent love of food as evidenced by the fight he gives just for the sake of a single meat bun and the way both he and Chip manage to get one in over the other i.e Their playfighting in certain cutscenes, Sonic laughing at Chip getting stuck in the vase but then Chip getting unintentional 'revenge' by hitting the tree he's lying under and then bonking him on the head with coconuts.

Some of Sonic's most defining traits is present and true in this game; Friendliness and selflessness. I always loved how his motivation for helping Chip seemed to 'evolve', starting off as a kind of guilty obligation because he thinks that landing on him caused his amnesia in the first place and then becoming something that is not an obligation because, as Sonic says, he doesn't need a reason to help out a friend. And then when Dark Gaia absorbs the energy that is causing his transformations and then forcibly reverting him weakens/injures him greatly, telling Chip to run with one of the most harrowing expressions he's ever shown in ANY Sonic media...the sheer hopelessness and weakness in his entire posture is powerful. Yet these two mannerisms are just so Sonic. You know, you can go on about Colours turning Sonic into a 'vivid' character 'for once' but ignoring his intrinsic traits in favor single-dimensional portrayals just because Sonic's more do-gooding traits are 'boring' is missing the essences of his entire character. And you know what bolster's Sonic's mannerisms in Unleashed? Jason Griffith's acting. There's such a genuine thread of sincerity in Sonic's voice that just makes his mannerisms and attitudes that much more believable.

Unleashed still nailed Sonic's heroic, good character traits despite how comparatively 'flat' and introverted he was and to me, that's partly what Sonic's all about and partly what makes me love him so much. He's knows when to shut up as well.

Colours: A likeable portrayal that whilst being undoubtedly exaggerated to epitomize the tone of the game, still contains very noteworthy and loveable traits that thoroughly deserve praise. He's clearly extremely determined to stop the oppression of the Wisps which is in-line with that eternal part of his character in that he makes it his duty to bring salvation to the oppressed and I think it's great how his love of nature of shown in the way he despises how Planet Wisp has been turned into a polluted parody of itself and notes how that's low even for Eggman. His interactions with Tails are fairly natural and the bromance is top-notch; It was always intriguing to me concerning how he apparently goes to punch Eggman's lights out in the intro upon seeing all the poor little Wisps floating in those containers and I did wonder what he would've done to Eggman had Tails not gotten in the way. It speaks droves about how protective he is and such.

And this, as I've said a fair few times before, is absolutely bloody fantastic;

sonicprotective1.png

sonicprotective2.png

It's just so telling of Sonic's big brother instinct whilst being fairly subtle at the same time.

There's a likeable vividness to Sonic's character in Colours and his new voice is very good but puts too much emphasis on a sarcastic tone. This is not one of Sonic's defining traits and detracts from the way he carries himself. I firmly believe that this is a result of some questionable direction however and not the fault of Roger at all, I think he's the best English VA and has tremendous potential.

Overall?....Unleashed for Sonic IMO. Colours has a very notable and praiseworthy portrayal that falls flat in very few areas and exaggerates Sonic's character for no good reason when he's versatile enough a character to be portrayed in funny and serious scenario's without needing to do this as proven by games before it such as the Storybooks.

Tails.

Unleashed: There's not much to note here unfortunately due to Tails' pretty minimal role and portrayal in cutscenes. It is curious about how Tails is acknowledging of Eggman's more amiable traits by expressing the belief that he would not let Pickle starve in his captivity and it's funny how in-game dialogue can portray him as getting a tad irritable with Sonic if he isn't paying attention i.e on the World Map when it's shown for the first time and in Mazuri if you have Sonic say "Sorry, my mind was elsewhere" and Tails responds pretty exasperatedly with "Pay more attention".

Colours: All right! Now we're talkin'! It is extremely praiseworthy how Tails is less inclined to be impressed with Sonic's antics. This is very believable development. He's not the Sonic-worshipping fanboy-esque character anymore yet he still exalts Sonic's actions where it's due i.e When he defeats Frigate Skullian. In this game, Sonic's and Tails' bond was that of mutual concern.

When Eggman tried to hit Sonic with his mind control beam, Tails, without a single second to even consider what that beam could potentially do pushed Sonic out of it's trajectory and took the hit instead. This speaks volumes about the extent of his bravery and it's easy to tell that Tails did this because he knows that Sonic wouldn't hesitate to do the same for him if Eggman's target was him and he noticed.

When Sonic paid back the favor and shoved him into the space elevator, it's so sweet that Tails' mind was always on Sonic; The hint orb at the very beginning of the Egg Nega Wisp boss fight has Tails absolutely frantic and clearly having found anything that could allow him to be in contact with Sonic and then in the final cutscene when Sonic gets back to land, Tails frantically asks if he's ok and remarks on the only thing him remembering was being shoved into the elevator. These instances remarkably powerful and speaks droves about how much he loves Sonic.

Overall? Colours. BY A LANDSLIDE happy.png

"Being picky about sandwiches is my only defining character trait".

This is extremely false.

Pickle

A character with multiple personality traits as outlined by his role in the story, the lines in the bookshelf and the proclamations of other chatacters. Otto the dormkeeper attests to having been friends with the professor for over 80 years and frequently comments on the man's quirks; He tends to pout if not being visited often, is comically curt when it comes to asking him to relay messages to Sonic ("FOUND LAST TEMPLE OF GAIA. STOP. COME POST-HASTE. STOP") and is very particular about his cucumber sandwiches and passionate about them, even grading-up his student's papers if they drop off cucumbery care packages. He's an amazing contrast to Eggman - Where Eggman is spiteful, not very classy and frequently unrefined in what he does, Pickle is kind, has a lot of class and knows exactly what he's talking about both regarding Dark Gaia and his advice when Sonic asks for it. He has a tremendous passion for souvenirs, unsubtly hinting to Sonic that he wants some and then going over in great detail what they are when asked.

Eggman

Unleashed: He has a great balance of diabolical, devious and funny. He obviously puts his IQ and deviousness to good use by engineering that entire fleet just for the sake of luring Sonic in then taking advantage of Sonic cornering him to act repentant, feed Sonic's arrogant talking-down to him in order to distract him long enough to activate the cannon and trap him. He's completely ruthless in how he disposes of Sonic whilst pulling a classic blundering move at the same time in sending out the emeralds along with him. The intro melds both Eggman's competence and his incompetence in a very believable fashion.

He uses the threat of force to get what he wants and is actually pretty prepared - He kidnapped Pickle knowing he was the pre-eminent scholar on all things Dark Gaia and stole the manuscripts. He threatens the people of Mazuri that he'll do something nasty if they don't tell him where the temple is and when he doesn't get an answer, takes to trying to find it himself which he would've done if Sonic hadn't intervened and destroyed his Egg Beetle. He knows what to do and he gets to it.

His way of praising himself for ideas he didn't come up with befits his shallowness. The way in which he's dead serious about getting rid of Sonic in the Egg Dragoon battle, telling him to "Give up and die already" and making genuine threats to kill him are actually a bit chilling, proving how evil he can be and being in-line with how threatening he was in the two Adventure games.

Colours: The story balances the doctor's whimsical childishness, temper and wickedness very well. The notion of him changing Cubot's voice chip because of annoyance is a really funny image. When his plot to put Sonic under mind control failed, he still tried to take advantage of his mistake, trying to pit Sonic against Tails and using the latter as a meatshield. That's so wicked and such an evil way to take advantage of the situation.

The shallowness he exhibited in Unleashed (Regarding claiming ideas that were not his) is very well shown in how he wants to mind control the world and force them to love him, which isn't a genuine form of admiration.

His interactions with his two henchbots are genuinely funny and put across how much disrespect he has for his lackeys, delegating them such jobs as cleaning up Big Boy's remains and catching more Wisps depsite their ineptitude. It's cool how he managed to keep his cannon a secret from Sonic for the entire game and only failed due to something that was beyond his control.

Overall? Colours.

Chip

What I like about Chip was how he grew from being rather cowardly, being spooked by certain bosses to being very willing to take on Dark Gaia personally and being genuinely pissed when it injured Sonic. He's brave when he really puts his mind to it and takes a stand for his best friend. Most of the time, the character was utilized for subtle humor that wasn't in-your-face. And it's just cute and an example of his insightfulness how he has the ability to know the true nature of people.

Orbot and Cubot

Damn these two characters work so well together. Orbot is the prime servile snarker whilst Cubot is a ditz without being annoying. Orbot being the logical straightman and Cubot being the dunce is two contrasts that are really well utilized to make them endearing. These characters are where the comedy is the most refined. Cubot's repeated voice and mannerism changes are comical as is Orbot's logical take on things and butler-like mannerisms.

To me, Unleashed has the marginally more endearing characters and Sonic's characterization is mighty fine despite his more quieter and analytical nature, he's badass, caring, snarky on occasion and the selfless guy I know and love without exagerration and without sarcasm being made out to be a defining trait. Tails' and Eggman's characterization are superior in Colours whilst Unleashed's worldbuilding IS a fair point to bring up in relation to characters that are endearing including NPC's. Pickle is a character with quite a few quirks and is the best written human in the franchise next to Eggman.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 6

^Verte, I know you have your own view on how Sonic should, but are you really going to tell me that Sonic's arrogance isn't one of his most noticeable traits?

^Verte, I know you have your own view on how Sonic should, but are you really going to tell me that Sonic's arrogance isn't one of his most noticeable traits?

Indeed it is. Hence why Sonic's arrogance is what caused the plot of Unleashed in the first place and is what saddled him with his transformation.

Indeed it is. Hence why Sonic's arrogance is what caused the plot of Unleashed in the first place and is what saddled him with his transformation.

But the way you worded it, you made it sound like Sonic's increased ego in Colors is somehow a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

But the way you worded it, you made it sound like Sonic's increased ego in Colors is somehow a bad thing.

Nope. I said that the exaggeration of it is a bad thing because Sonic is versatile enough a character to get various traits out of convincingly. He's polite but can be a snarker. Selfless but selfish when it comes to his freedom. Arrogant and proud but also modest and rebukes obeisance. He can be played comically yet he knows when it's time to get serious.

Colours undoubtedly exagerrated Sonic to put him in a mostly comedic role for a game whose 'comedy' was immature when there's more to his character than that. Unleashed, whilst making him quiet, paid heed to multiple traits without exaggerating any of them and this is ultimately why I respect it's characterization a bit more.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 4

I really hate how Sonic Unleashed portrayed most of its characters.  Sonic shows some personality (and promptly gets his ass handed to him for his cockiness in the opening cutscene, which I enjoyed) in the beginning, but, once again, that just falls off a goddamn cliff the minute you finish up Mazuri.  For the rest of the game he's pretty much the infallible good guy hero person we're supposed to like because he's good and shit, and I don't like him because he's boring.  Chip is played mostly for comedy relief (and at times I felt sorry for the little guy because normally the one being picked on), until the end of the game where he's apparently god because they had to do something important with him.  His character development that happens near the end of the game was about as subtle as throwing a brick at your face with "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" written on it, and even then it still doesn't manage to add anything of value to the game other than a cutscene with some drama on the side that goes absolutely nowhere.  Eggman and Orbot were a joy to watch argue and bicker, and they're honestly the only characters that I think are worth liking in the game.

I enjoy Sonic in Sonic Colors.  He's lame as hell, and everyone knows it, especially Tails.  He still has a heart of gold, he's still the good guy, but now he's a more active loudmouth who takes every chance he can get to stroke his own ego.  He talks to robots and can't talk back (and pretends like they did anyways), he talks to dead robots (and gets caught, his reaction to Tails asking him what he was doing is just priceless), and I still find it particularly funny because he's the one who accused Eggman for being the loudmouth (he's also the guy who tells Eggman to stop making puns).

Tails is pretty fantastic too.  He's still on the sidelines mostly, but the conversations he has with Sonic are just great.  Sonic tries to impress him with some sort of great thing he did a few minutes prior and Tails just dismisses it as not-important because he's so used to Sonic's shenanigans.  I loved it when Sonic tried stealing all of glory near the end of the game, and Tails took the opening to rub all of the things he did into Sonic's face.  Sonic and Tails' dynamic just works so damn well in this game, from casual conversations to when shit hits the fan.

Eggman and Orbot are back doing what they did in Sonic Unleashed for the most part, but now they have a new companion.  Cubot is a bit of a dimwit, and just like Orbot, he clearly doesn't respect Eggman all that much.  The two have a relationship that's similar to Sonic and Tails, they're like brothers and it's clear that Orbot takes up the big brother role in their relationship.  Eggman's interactions with Orbot in Sonic Unleashed were a joy to listen to because it was like the battle of two equals, and now we have Cubot who foils Eggman's intellect with his dimwitted...ness and even manages to back Eggman into a corner in one of their arguments (You never beat Sonic!). 

Then there's Yacker who's main role is to be adorable and stuff.

And he's adorable and stuff, so there.  There's really not much to say about him.

So, uh, Sonic Colors wins, because that hasn't gotten old yet.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nope. I said that the exaggeration of it is a bad thing because Sonic is versatile enough a character to get various traits out of convincingly. He's polite but can be a snarker. Selfless but selfish when it comes to his freedom. Arrogant and proud but also modest and rebukes obeisance. He can be played comically yet he knows when it's time to get serious.

Colours undoubtedly exagerrated Sonic to put him in a mostly comedic role for a game whose 'comedy' was immature when there's more to his character than that. Unleashed, whilst making him quiet, paid heed to multiple traits without exaggerating any of them and this is ultimately why I respect it's characterization a bit more.

Here's the thing tho, it's not much of an exaggeration because before that I honestly couldn't get much personality from Sonic at all. SInce Unleashed is the example  I'll use that; most of Sonic's actions and personality in Unleashed are more reactionary than anything else, I mean he claims he wants Eggman to fix what he did with the Werehog but shows no signs of doing so, he just goes from temple to temple fixing things. I understand subtly can be a good thing, but too much of it and and your audience will miss the message. I mean, Sonic's personality in Unleashed is more or less just what you'd expect to see from him; He's kind, selfless, and every other generic trait that defines a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, but it just makes Sonic feel like more of an avatar that goes from place to place instead of being an actual character.I mean, the game hints at Sonic not liking his Werehog form, but then goes on to say "Nope, he loves it" the game hints it should be affecting his personality but "Nope, Sonic's too pure to be corrupted". 

I guess what I'm saying is, I can't call Colors an exaggeration because there wasn't much to be exaggerated; exaggeration implies the trait was already noticeable before being blown out of proportion, and in Unleashed there were times i forgot Sonic even had a character.

• Thumbs Up 6

Here's the thing tho, it's not much of an exaggeration because before that I honestly couldn't get much personality from Sonic at all. SInce Unleashed is the example  I'll use that; most of Sonic's actions and personality in Unleashed are more reactionary than anything else, I mean he claims he wants Eggman to fix what he did with the Werehog but shows no signs of doing so, he just goes from temple to temple fixing things. I understand subtly can be a good thing, but too much of it and and your audience will miss the message. I mean, Sonic's personality in Unleashed is more or less just what you'd expect to see from him; He's kind, selfless, and every other generic trait that defines a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, but it just makes Sonic feel like more of an avatar that goes from place to place instead of being an actual character.I mean, the game hints at Sonic not liking his Werehog form, but then goes on to say "Nope, he loves it" the game hints it should be affecting his personality but "Nope, Sonic's too pure to be corrupted". 

Sonic's determination to find Eggman and make him fix his form is very early on in the story way before Sonic ever truly gets to grips with Werehog form and what it can do. By the time he saves Pickle and takes him back to the university, Sonic is more in-tune with his new form and Pickle notes that he is visibly accepting of it and even likes what he can do, expressing the opinion that he believes that Sonic is now in no rush to get rid of the form. By the time you can feed Chip after the first temple has been restored and food is avaliable for purchase, Chip is also noted to take notice of the way Sonic regards his new form and will comment when fed that he thinks that Sonic likes Werehog form.

This is believable development. Whilst the form was nowhere near as well utilized as it ought to have been, I'll give the game that.

And I thought it was less of a case of being "pure" and more of a case of being "strong-willed". There is a difference there. Purity has a reputation for making characters out to be unrealistic. Being strong-willed is an altogether different kettle of fish. Claiming that that cutscene was a boast of Sonic's 'pure-heartedness' and using that to say that Sonic is flat and boring becuase of that is a misrepresentation of what that cutscene was trying to get across about Sonic's character and it's relation to the influence of Gaia; His will is simply too strong to be dominated whilst not being inclined so much to darkness was an additionally protecting factor. Sonic gave in to darker emotions to an extent before in SatSR when the Rings responded to his darker feelings about Erazor and Shahra's death and forcibly transformed him yet he was not turned evil by Darkspine transformation. He just doesn't outright give into it that is the point being made.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can't call Colors an exaggeration because there wasn't much to be exaggerated; exaggeration implies the trait was already noticeable before being blown out of proportion, and in Unleashed there were times i forgot Sonic even had a character.

Sonic has characterization outside of Unleashed.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's determination to find Eggman and make him fix his form is very early on in the story way before Sonic ever truly gets to grips with Werehog form and what it can do. By the time he saves Pickle and takes him back to the university, Sonic is more in-tune with his new form and Pickle notes that he is visibly accepting of it and even likes what he can do, expressing the opinion that he believes that Sonic is now in no rush to get rid of the form. By the time you can feed Chip after the first temple has been restored and food is avaliable for purchase, Chip is also noted to take notice of the way Sonic regards his new form and will comment when fed that he thinks that Sonic likes Werehog form.

This is believable development. Whilst the form was nowhere near as well utilized as it ought to have been, I'll give the game that.

But what does Sonic go through before accepting it? How does he feel about it? What did he do to learn about it's abilities? How does he feel not having his trademark speed? Does the fact that he's responsible for all of this weight on him at all? It all happens too fast and has no real effect on him at all. I mean, Sonic accepts his condition....but why should I care? Sonic showed no signs of not liking it and he just accepts it just like that. It's not really believable because I'd have to see Sonic actively not liking the form, but we're never shown this aside from one cutscene out of the entire game.

If they wanted to show us that Sonic accepts his new condition, they should have showed that he actively hates it and how it hinders him. 

And I thought it was less of a case of being "pure" and more of a case of being "strong-willed". There is a difference there. Purity has a reputation for making characters out to be unrealistic. Being strong-willed is an altogether different kettle of fish.

The result is still the same regardless, Sonic's will is apparently so strong that he can't be affected by an Eldritch abomination in any way shape and form? Heck, Chip protecting him from it would have been a more plausible explanation, that at least makes sense given who he is.

Sonic has characterization outside of Unleashed.

I never said he didn't, but since the topic is about Colors & Unleashed, I'm mostly sticking to those two :P

• Thumbs Up 5

But what does Sonic go through before accepting it? How does he feel about it? What did he do to learn about it's abilities? How does he feel not having his trademark speed? Does the fact that he's responsible for all of this weight on him at all? It all happens too fast and has no real effect on him at all. I mean, Sonic accepts his condition....but why should I care? Sonic showed no signs of not liking it and he just accepts it just like that. It's not really believable because I'd have to see Sonic actively not liking the form, but we're never shown this aside from one cutscene out of the entire game.

What does he do to learn about it's abilities? For one, he grabs the ice cream cone that Chip accidentally knocks over and notes that whilst it's weird, it "could be useful". Hence an in-story explanation is given for him to start experimenting with his new body's properties in order to fight like that. EXP gained from enemies and food intake is what allows him to logically 'grow' in both experience and stamina and develop new moves. It's gameplay and story segregation but it's sensical.

Whatsmore, in-game, Sonic's exclamations when he's fighting are evidence enough that he likes what he can do, howling and performing certain poses upon pulling-off a particularly impressive array of moves in succession.

Just because it isn't explicitly revealed in-story doesn't mean it's entirely forgone.

If they wanted to show us that Sonic accepts his new condition, they should have showed that he actively hates it and how it hinders him. 

There's not once instance in the game in which Sonic states that he hates the form. He commiserates that he needs to be careful about who sees him like it and states that he needs to find Eggman and fix it but it's never hinted that he says this out of dislike for the form.

The result is still the same regardless, Sonic's will is apparently so strong that he can't be affected by an Eldritch abomination in any way shape and form? Heck, Chip protecting him from it would have been a more plausible explanation, that at least makes sense given who he is.

This isn't explicitly true. Sonic's temper is noticeably worse and he has a definite sense of savagery that is missing from normal form. Gaia's influence does have an effect on his personality to some extent, Chip just notes that it's not detrimental to him overall.

I never said he didn't, but since the topic is about Colors & Unleashed, I'm mostly sticking to those two tongue.png

Previous portrayals in regards to remarking on the exaggeration are entirely relevant.

Just gonna compare the series' main characters since quite frankly I don't have much of a lot to say about the likes of Chip or Yacker, lawl.

Sonic: Fuck me, he was boring in Unleashed. What the hell happened? He showed up on Eggman's ship, fucked shit up, and then started giving Eggman a (toned-downish) verbal beatdown... but then things started to go off the rails. He was boring, subdued, hell even quiet... and it was awful. He lost all the energy and "radicool 90s 'tude" that I liked about him, and started acting like some typical shonen hero, and there's no way I'm having that. I mean, don't get me wrong, his dull-as-dishwater niceness was at least something, compared to Sonic '06 where he had all the personality of a tree. But... it wasn't Sonic. Then in Colors he acts like he did in Unleashed's opening cutscene turned up to eleven. He was rude, arrogant, and desperately trying to be cool or funny and often falling flat on his massive face. I loved it. He was big-headed and still a caring and nice guy beneath, and seriously, this was the most accurate portrayal of Sonic we've gotten based on the source material. He was an interesting character, and that's about ten times more than I can say for Unleashed!Sonic. Colors.

Eggman: He's a fucking badass wherever whatever so what do I say? tongue.png His consistency (a good good thing) makes it pretty hard to compare, but them PA announcements. THEM PA ANNOUNCEMENTS, GUYS. Colors.

Tails: Tails is an interesting one. He goes from being a limp and lifeless few-line wonder to the star of the show. In Unleashed he starts off needing his man Sonic to help him with a few Kingdom Hearts rejects, then he says a few things not worth remembering in his girly girl voice. I just can't fucking remember anything of Tails in this game... he was in it, right? Then in Colors he was basically Sonic but with the supreme power of brainsmarts, so let's go with that.

Unleashed had Pickle, Colors had Orbot and Cubot. Unleashed had Chip, Colors had Yacker. What can I say? There's no contest here no matter how great Pickle is. Colors rapes this fucker rigid.

Edited by Starscream
  • Thumbs Up 3