Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

So I should like super sonic in colors even though he was pretty boring to use, and felt super lacking? It felt like a rip off to me.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
  • Thumbs Up 3

Because Super Sonic being playable outside of a final bossfight for the first time in FOREVER, and for the first time EVER in 3d, was fucking awesome?

No? If anything, it just proved to be a massive missed opportunity, a disappointment and yet another pitiable example of Colours fumbling the ball yet again when it has such potential and never utilizes any of it to any real degree.

Edited by Vertekins

Because Super Sonic being playable outside of a final bossfight for the first time in FOREVER, and for the first time EVER in 3d, was fucking awesome?

None of what you said is awesome because I loathe playing as Super Sonic in the main levels. Even as a child playing Sonic 3 he was annoying because he essentially locked away my awesome shield ability if I got enough rings, so I wouldn't use him or I'd start a file without getting the Chaos Emeralds so I could use the shield without worry. Unlocking him in R and Riders didn't change my mind much; he makes the experience of playing a Sonic game boring and hollow because he's deliberately broken, allowing you to surpass all the shit that actually made the game fun in the first place. God help us all if you throw a looping jingle on top of it.

If Super Sonic still needs to be an unlockable, for Pete's sake just tie him to beating the final boss and leave it at that; most likely you've already gotten the Chaos Emeralds by that point anyway. Make the end game reward a new level or area or something more interesting to play. Rayman Origins and DKC2/R got it right.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

A lot of people here seem to say they tried the hot dog missions and not much else in Unleashed.

I think this is another case of Unleashed having good ideas and executing them poorly.  Much how I think requiring medals to unlock levels was fine - but hiding them all in levels as the ONLY way to get them was a bad idea, I think the problem here is that Unleashed's best content is sort of awkward to find.

When the hot dog guy shows up, you NOTICE it.  He wasn't there before.  Something has changed and it attracts the player's attention.

Meanwhile, extra acts, unique missions, concept art and bonus videos on Unleashed, argueably the best of the extra content, do nothing to alert the player of their avaliability.  You must actively have the passion to explore the entrance stages, talk to every NPC, re-explore the stages (with no idea what still has gallery content avaliable) and engage with giving Chip food respectively to unlock them.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's the first time time Super Sonic was implemented in 3D, I didn't expect them to get it right the first time, and for what it was It's good for the occasional distraction, I agree with Jez of the fact that Colors wasn't probably the best game to introduce him, but hey, its a start, but I don't think its terrible or anything.

No kind words forthe Gens version though, a major fuck up on all accounts.

Edited by Soniman

Having to find them is irrelevant to the topic when you're judging the extras based on their inherent merit and the effort, care, time and money invested into them, you know, what a fair evaluation amounts to? Colours has none of that, It has an Super Sonic unlocked by a bad unlocking method that turns out to be extremely banal and pointless, no concept art and no videos. Unleashed is chock full of it.

I judged Unleashed both by how much extra content there was and how much I enjoyed them. Sure, Unleashed has much more content, such as - like I said - optional acts, side missions, little fun quizzes, etc., so it outdoes Color sin that regard, but if I don't bother with the majority of that content simply because it doesn't capture my interest, how could I rate it above Colors in that regard as well? Colors, had much less content, but I enjoyed what it had. I enjoyed going after the red rings to unlock the Game Land stages, I also enjoyed said stages as well; I liked how they were essentially another smaller game within the game. Super Sonic was... okay, but I'd take him over Unleashed's optional acts (especially Adabat Act 3... uuuuggggghhhhh...).

Unleashed succeeds in quantity, while Colors succeeds in quality. There isn't just one aspect to this. While having a lot of content is always good, if little to none of it is enjoyable, what's the point?

More content =/= better content.

Edited by Longshoreman X
  • Thumbs Up 9

Without getting too off-topic, I think Generations did MODERN Super Sonic really well, aside from the ridiculous ring-count.  While having him fly over portions of the level is really game-breaking, at least it looks super cool and empowering just for one play, unlike Colours Super Sonic which is just boringly easy with no extra real cinematicness or flashiness to make up for it.

I think the term "3D" should be used VERY carefully. :P I mean the levels were still pretty empty or linear when it came to the 3d sections. Super sonic just blasted through those sections.

Yes, that was rather nice, but using Super Sonic requires that I forgo using the Wisps altogether... which is a problem because the levels are designed in such a manner that you have to use the Wisps to get the most out of them. Yes, in "Super Sonic Mode," the levels are redesigned so that you could actually beat them without the Wisps, but you're pretty much locked to the main path, which, for the sake of honesty, is really meh.

With Super Sonic, I exchange the Wisps for what amounts to invincibility and Endless Boost. Considering that I pretty much have to know every level in the game like the back of my hand in order to get him in the first place, Super Sonic is rather useless to me. I would've rather have him as the "Beat Nega-Wisp Armor" reward and the "Collect Everything" reward be a bonus world... Earth/Mobius/Sonic's World, perhaps. That would've been nice...

• Thumbs Up 6

It's the first time time Super Sonic was implemented in 3D, I didn't expect them to get it right the first time, and for what it was It's good for the occasional distraction, I agree with Jez of the fact that Colors wasn't probably the best game to introduce him, but hey, its a start, but I don't think its terrible or anything.

No kind words forthe Gens version though, a major fuck up on all accounts.

Even if Super Sonic was "well done," this is missing the point that the very idea itself is banal considering the effort needed to unlock him. I can't remark on how either Colors and Gens did Super Sonic because I didn't waste my time, because the very inherent qualities of in-level Super Sonic make him boring. He needs level design and circumstances specifically dedicated to his abilities to get the most out of him. I mean, wouldn't it be really, super-awesomely cool if, like, there was a specific area or dimension that only Super Sonic could go to after the fact to really test his reserve and abilities? Flying challenges, speed challenges, boss challenges, the whole shebang. If Super Sonic is supposed to be so gosh-darned special, then actually develop his own playground that would actually give him a workout.

THANK YOU to everyone that's showing dismay in Super Sonic.

I've never really liked playing as him, except maybe in S3K or something. I forgot other people than me also dislike it like I do! XD Also, just as a nitpick, I think the even bigger problem I have with it in Colors and Gens is how they straight-up announce that you have it pre-transformation instead of making it a surprise. Sure, you know its coming, but in every game before it if you could use it, it was usually a surprise. Like, "oh look, woah I just did this and went super, holy crap", compared to the obvious "big yellow sign with emeralds and the 'PRESS Y' alarm on it".

But yeah.. Otherwise I just don't understand the appeal too much. If they made Super Sonic feel more powerful and faster than Sonic nowadays, it'd be cooler. But whenever you already have invincibility + speed shoes at all times (boostlol) the specialness fades away completely. There's nothing really special to it besides some aesthetic DBZ fanservice. (And the 'flying' thing in Generations would've been cool if it wasn't obviously rigged to a path most of the time. Sure, it was gamebreaking, but it's like it was only breaking the game the way the game wanted you to break it. :v)

Unless you put stars following him. Then I'll enjoy every second of it. I'm a sucker for dat Super Sonic star trail. Or was that Hyper Sonic? Either way it was awesome. tongue.png

ON TOPIC though..

I couldn't enjoy Colors' extras, even for what little they were. Red Rings gave you Game Land, but what was that really? 2D sections with flat surfaces, with the only good level design bits being stolen from Sonic 1? I mean, psch, come on. Game Land sounds good in concept but I just couldn't find enjoyment in it. And of course I already ranted and raved about Super Sonic. 

Unleashed's extra acts and missions you got weren't meant to be something you had to have, hence them being extras. They were progressively much harder because they were there for if you wanted an even bigger challenge than what the normal stages already gave you. Ridiculously cheap in some of them or not (that one in Shamar where you gotta save that girl... hurrrghfdFHUERHEUGHJ), I appreciated the challenge.

Plus, being a cartoon lover in general as well as loving character interaction, I was absolutely in love with the interacting with NPCs and their side-stories.. and I loved the bonus videos to pieces. Any little snippets that evolve Sonic's world around him while also being funny/entertaining gets MASSIVE points. 

So for the sake of making a better post than my last one, Unleashed wins. Again. I know my views seem hilariously one-sided towards Unleashed over anything, but.. well, I'm sorry. XD I found Unleashed to be all-around a better game. Doesn't mean Colors was horrid or anything, but it felt lacking in all categories IMO, although it arguably covered the idea of what a Sonic game is better.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Super Sonic in Colors completely undermines the point of the game to begin with, which is using the Wisp. Why use a mode that locks you out of using them? Especially since all that mode gives you is essentially a unlimited boost gauge  and considering Colors` limited areas to actually use the boost, Super Sonic becomes even more pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I watched playthroughs of the DS version of Sonic Colors, I thought it was cool that when the player plays the missions, you find out that Sonic's other friends were also in the amusement park.

Whether they were up there by accident, like in Cream and Cheese's case, or investigating the park under orders from G.U.N., like Shadow and Omega in Asteriod Coaster, or Team Chaotix, or just visiting like Blaze and Silver, it was cool to see the other Sonic characters in the game, even though they were just basically cameos. Also, the fact that Orbot and Cubot were seen causing mischief and goofing off was also....kinda funny.

I also enjoyed that the DS version actually introduced the Wisps to us one by one and gave us some of the information shown on the Sonic Colors website, like the Orange Wisps being a little oversensitive, Cyan Wisps being fast like Sonic, or that when Tails tried to translate the Violent Voids, he couldn't understand them because they were too far gone.

I think that if the Wii version had done the same thing, I would have enjoyed the game more.

Speaking of the Sonic Simulator.....for what purpose did Dr. Eggman create it? Was he using it to test out the Wisp's power? Was it meant to be some kind of experiment to understand Sonic's abilities so he could improve upon his machines? Is it just a massive arcade? Is Dr. Eggman actually...a Sonic Fan himself and created his own Sonic game for his own amusement?

As someone already mentioned, if the Game Land Stages actually gave us more like Music and Artwork instead of just Chaos Emeralds, I probably would be encouraged to play the stages more than once.

It depends on which Sonic Colors version and which Sonic Unleashed version.

360/PS3 Sonic Unleashed or PS2/Wii?

Wii or NDS Sonic Colors

It depends on which Sonic Colors version and which Sonic Unleashed version.

360/PS3 Sonic Unleashed or PS2/Wii?

Wii or NDS Sonic Colors

HD Unleashed vs. Wii Colors. At least in general.

No? If anything, it just proved to be a massive missed opportunity, a disappointment and yet another pitiable example of Colours fumbling the ball yet again when it has such potential and never utilizes any of it to any real degree.

How is it a missed opportunity? It's just something that wasn't done in a while and (I thought) was fucking awesome to see again.

I do think they should have just let him use wisps though. 

How is it a missed opportunity? It's just something that wasn't done in a while and (I thought) was fucking awesome to see again.

I do think they should have just let him use wisps though. 

1 - The level designs don't adapt to Super Sonic in any interesting way. They were was designed to suit the Wisp forms abilities.

2 - Super Sonic's abilities are very banal and provide no challenge because he's broken in his invincibility and inability to drown. Because the level designs are adapted to Sonic's seven other forms, a very large chunk of Colours' lovely emergent gameplay and creativity goes down the toilet.

3 - Super Sonic could have far more abilities than an infinite boost such as flying etc.

Replies in bold. 

1 - The level designs don't adapt to Super Sonic in any interesting way. They were was designed to suit the Wisp forms abilities.

No arguments here, but I thought it was kinda interesting to see what the levels were like without the wisps. 

2 - Super Sonic's abilities are very banal and provide no challenge because he's broken in his invincibility and inability to drown. Because the level designs are adapted to Sonic's seven other forms, a very large chunk of Colours' lovely emergent gameplay and creativity goes down the toilet.

Well...........it's like that in the classics too, why is it not bad there and bad here? He's kinda supposed to be broken mode, that's his thing in normal gameplay. Again, I do think they should have let him use wisps though. 

3 - Super Sonic could have far more abilities than an infinite boost such as flying etc.

Flying would have broken the game. Super Sonic's already broken enough, what could you add to him without breaking him further?

To be honest im kind of mixed with super sonic in colors on one hand I enjoyed using him but on the other hand it makes you take a look at colors and makes you see how easy it is to just blast through levels compared to unleashed and somehow even feel less fulfilling. 

But to get back on topic I also give this round to unleashed simply because of the fact that not only was there so much of it, it was also extremely enjoyable to do and look at all of its extra content, it was fun enjoyable designed really well to give the player a good amount of challenge after the main game. Even though I haven't gotten the DLC yet I will soon because from what ive watched of it on youtube (or atleast of what ive seen). Also, I loved the little videos in unleashed that showed sonic and chip at different locations especially the one at Chun-nan, I felt that these added alot to sonic and chip's characters and the good times they were having.

Colors' extra content was good but not really as impacting as unleashed since its only super sonic and some stage simulator levels that I would care a little bit more for if they didn't follow the same practice as the actual game did and be mostly in 2d rather than having some more 3d sections in than just straight lines (not that I have a problem with 2d, just that 3d would have been nice in a lot of situations in this game).

Yeah, Unleashed wins this one.

I had far more incentive to collect video tapes and artwork than I did looking for red rings in Colors, and that shit got boring real fast and didn't provide me any further motivation to continue playing Colors.

I also liked talking to the NPC just to interact with the world, which Colors really skimped out on with it being an interstellar amusement park. I mean could I at least see people walking around in the cutscenes other than Sonic and Tails?

And I'll be the one to dissent and say that Super Sonic outside of the final bosses would be awesome...if they could fucking get it right. Even when it god-mode, I'd like the thing to be useful for something and Super Sonic in Colors was far more of a detriment to me than a benefit.

So yeah, Unleashed wins big time.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

In this case Sonic Unleashed wins. More extras, and even though half of these are not great (pointless DLC, ridiculously well hidden Medals, ADABAT MISSION...) there is one half that was superb and made me want to explore the hub worlds again and again. The hot dog missions are insanely difficult, but that's what they're supposed to be! Not a big fan of having to play the entire stage for each mission, but hey!

Sonic Colours has no concept art or music to unlock, which is what lets it down in terms of extras. The Red Rings are far better than the Medals but the Game Worlds were underwhelming (like the music though) and Super Sonic, whilst great to see in a 3D Sonic game was a small letdown.

Not really. To me, it just felt boring and a bit unnecessary to use. It just wasn't done right in Colors.

Edited by C.J

Round 12: Extras:

Sonic Unleashed gets the victory this round without a doubt. Simply put, Sonic Unleashed offers so much in regards to extras, whereas Sonic Colors just doesn't. Even if Sonic Unleashed didn't offer missions, collectibles to gather via music, artwork and souvenirs, food, interacting with NPCs, the fact that Sonic Unleashed gave us these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJufR1y5Y4

This makes Sonic Unleashed automatically win IMO as these hidden cutscenes are funny and absolutely awesome! The fact that Sonic Unleashed offered DLC helps its cause as well. It would of been nice had Sonic Colors had some cutscenes (or hidden cutscenes even) of Sonic and Tails doing amusement park things (like play a game to win a prize-this would of been a fun minigame to add in the game actually!) as they were in a amusement park throughout the game.

KnZobWe.jpg?1

Searching for and finding the Red Rings in Sonic Colors was fun in itself, but in the end doing all that wasn't worth for what they amounted up to, which is collecting the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic Simulator (which I found boring rather quickly! Not to mention I fail to see it's relevance to the main game...I loved the 8-bit tunes of the original levels though!) so you can play through the levels as Super Sonic. I honestly don't see the appeal about Super Sonic in Sonic Colors, and I didn't feel very motivated to finish the Sonic Simulator so as to unlock him. We went through the whole game, including the final boss sans Super Sonic, so to go back and replay the levels with him seems rather pointless to me, especially at the expense of being unable to use the Wisps as Super Sonic. I would of rather had unlocked music, artwork, cutscenes or even amusement park/carnival-related mini-games instead of Chaos Emeralds-that would of made going through the Sonic Simulator much more rewarding.

RVwUprY.jpg?1
I hate to say it but I didn't find the Sonic Simulator/Game Land fun

y8kVwBZ.png?3
And I didn't find Super Sonic to be a necessary part of the game after all was said and done.

So yes, Sonic Unleashed wins big time this round due to the fact that there are so many extras it offers, as well as being full of effort and giving the player so much more to do, whereas Sonic Colors offers so little in comparison. Not all of Sonic Unleashed's extras may be worth engaging in, but compared to Sonic Colors, it's more than enough of extras to keep you occupied and to enjoy overall, especially with the hidden cutscenes, artwork, and DLC.

• Thumbs Up 7

Unleashed.

By a freaking mile.

There was just so much stuff to unlock. Video tapes. Cutscenes, including a few hidden ones, Music tracks. DLC stages. And there were all those NPC and hotdog missions you could go through.

What did Colors have?

A 'Gameland' that was only useful for unlocking a boring Super Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Final Round - Replay Value

Ah replay value, the things modern Sonic game have some trouble with due to being relatively short excursions (heh), but within the pantheon of Modern Sonic games, which of the first two hold up the best and has you coming back for more?

I covered what most of the games offered in the extras round so unfortunately the final round will be on the short side.

Sonic_Unleashed_-_E3-PS3%2C_Xbox_360%2C_

Sonic Unleashed is a very big game. Sonic Unleashed is a very re-playable game in the sense that it encourages increasing your own skill on repeated play throughs so if you're into being a perfectionist and want to constantly improve your score. There are also endeavors to unlocking RPG elements for Sonic and new combos for the Werehog. And as mentioned in the extras there are a tons ofassets to collect as well.

Sonic-Colours-Wii-SoS.jpg

While Sonic Colors doesn't have a lot in the way of size, it does encourage repeat play throughs to find the red rings specifically, chances are you're not gonna find them all just by playing the level once. There's also the gameland levels which you can play with a friend. Super Sonic is good for a quick diversion for a while, to see how he handles in the levels. Also there's just general exploring the levels to see what they offer. And like all 3D Sonic games, it has a ranking system which always encourage the level to replay levels and get the highest score.

Since Colors is the only one of the two games I own, ill just not vote this round, because it wouldn't really be fair. *shrug*

But were not done oh no, next week we're gonna have a final "event", then we can put this to rest......or can we? Guess we'll find out next time! Otherwise, thanks for playing!

Edited by Soniman