Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

Sonic Unleashed again. Despite the replay value in Colours' levels (there's a lot of alternate routes!) Unleashed has so many more extras outside of levels like the hot dog missions and concept art to unlock. Hell there's some stuff in Unleashed that I still haven't had a chance to do yet! I wouldn't mind going back to it any day just to unlock some more of those tough as hell achievements.

Sorry Colours, but Unleashed is just a deeper game. Liek.

I find myself replaying colours levels alot more than Unleashed levels. Just a couple reasons.

1. Unleashed only had 7 levels worth replaying, the second acts tended to suck more than a hoover on steroids.

2.The Unleashed homing attack was mapped to X. A small complaint but it always threw me off.

3. I liked the colours level layout more. I didn't like how they hid the red rings, but at least unlike medals they weren't necessary.

4. The wisps were a nice mid-level gimmick that stopped levels becoming stale. While not necessary, I had fun with most (if not all) wisps.

Either way, I find most of Colours' levels more fun to play, and there's such a broad selection in comparison to Unleashed (Unless you liked playing the werehog).

I give the last round to Colours.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never touched Colours since I beat it, and I still play Unleashed pretty often.

So, Unleashed wins, I guess.

I go back and play both games a lot (but Generations beats them both by a mile in terms of replay-ability, but that's another story). I got Sonic Colors on launch day, and I only got Unleashed a few months back, but I still have played Unleashed more. Colors seemed a bit too "Mario", which put me off from replaying it.

So Unleashed wins.

Edited by Speedster

I go back and play both games a lot (but Generations beats them both by a mile in terms of replay-ability, but that's another story). I got Sonic Colors on launch day, and I only got Unleashed a few months back, but I still have played Unleashed more. Colors seemed a bit too "Mario", which put me off from replaying it.

So Unleashed wins.

Because I have to ask, how does Colours seem to "mario"? Is it the lack in speed? How colorful the stages were (LOL see what i did?). I just don't see how it's too "mario" like.

I'll draw a line here between what is there for you when you replay the game, the actual replay value, and the reasons why you would want to play the game again - the replay factors. This is important because one does not work without the other and, therefore, it's for the best when both are connected.

For example: when, in Sonic, you get to know that there were alternative paths all along that require more skill to reach and will improve your score or time, you receive replay value. However, nothing guarantees us that you will play the level again. That's why we'll often have a Time Attack Mode or Grading Systems, which will adjust this experience to new rules in the game and bring you a few reasons to play again. We as players do things as we are challenged by the game's rules and standards.

On the other hand, there are Sonic games that let you know you didn't see all there was to the level through hidden items and stuff like that. This is a strict reason to play the game again in a different way. However, it's devoid of substance if we don't offer anything in return - and then that's why we'll often collectibles or Super Sonic as a reward for following the rules of the game.

Both Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colours have interesting, layered approaches. It's only all the better when we have layers of value and factors, so thick that we can't distinguish them and end up replaying the game endlessly, with the value fueling the factors, which, in turn, feeds the value.

MMOs in particular simply have to do that, always. There must be a reason for us to do the same all over again. In the end, Monster Hunter is a game I'd call one of the best in this regard: killing the monster in different ways is not only fun in itself, but required on one hand (in order to get different materials and complete subquests) and acknowledged on the other (these same specific materials give you different armor and weapons).

But I digress.

Thing is, I like how Sonic Unleashed demands extra, strictly gameplay-based experience to achieve whatever, but also recognizes your progress with lots of unlockable stuff you might have wanted in the first place. I'm not particularly fond of what exactly you get for what you do, but it's just me. Doesn't take away the merit. I also like how Sonic Colours unlocks completely different experiences with the Wisps as you go on, which basically resets all the levels you've been through and opens them to different approaches. I hate the Red Rings work and how you must get absolutely all of them to get a not-very-special reward, but the thought of acknowledging the replay value with rules and factors was smart.

But no, really. The Red Rings suck. They aren't fun. It's 180 of them we're talking about.

Edited by Palas
  • Fist Bump 1

Because I have to ask, how does Colours seem to "mario"? Is it the lack in speed? How colorful the stages were (LOL see what i did?). I just don't see how it's too "mario" like.

Blocky platforming that insists on constantly slowing down and jumping all over the place, and it lacks the flow that the Genesis games possess. Usage of limited powerups might also be somewhat reminiscent of Mario's caps in SM64 or the timed power-ups in Galaxy, since they're used for specific puzzles in contrary to others such as the fire flower or raccoon leaf that give the player an edge in normal gameplay.

In that sense Sonic Colors is a pretty good Mario game, but it sure as heck isn't much of a Sonic one.

Though I'm not saying that these are necessarily bad things; it really depends on the player and I got some pretty decent enjoyment out of playing Colors, despite taking these points in mind. But it plays drastically different from normal Sonic design philosophy which is why people have such an issue with it. Even though I liked Colors, I agree that it isn't much of a Sonic game. It feels like it belongs in another series.

• Thumbs Up 7

I believe Phos attributed it more to Megaman, but regardless there's a lot of flow breaking in Colors.

More often then not when you get wisp it doesn't active until you choose to, unlike Mario Galaxy's where the timed power ups are meant to be used the minute you come across them because the level design kind of demands it. The Wisps are more like waiting for right moment to use them the most effectivleuy (when you come across a certain part of the level that my justify use, rather than "get power up and use it right away".

Edited by Soniman

I don't think being able to activate them manually makes any difference. When you see a Wisp in a level, you can be absolutely sure it's used for one specific puzzle and doesn't possess much usefulness elsewhere. Saving Wisps until later is also entirely pointless, because when you come across another area that requires it, there'll sure enough be another Wisp capsule nearby. It boils down to exactly the same as SM64/Galaxy's power-ups.

I don't think being able to activate them manually makes any difference. When you see a Wisp in a level, you can be absolutely sure it's used for one specific puzzle and doesn't possess much usefulness elsewhere. Saving Wisps until later is also entirely pointless, because when you come across another area that requires it, there'll sure enough be another Wisp capsule nearby. It boils down to exactly the same as SM64/Galaxy's power-ups.

I agree a lot with this. Very few times in the game you feel like it's you using the wisp. Laser had potential, but whenever you got it you'd have those crystal things that make you bounce. And let's not get started on those completely out-of-the-loop posts that led you to another path or something. 

It really feels like the Wisps were some kind of afterthought that made the game be redesigned around it, but completely out of touch with the levels for what they are.

That was a real problem with laser.  Whenever I used it to do pretty much anything other than firing away at the nearby preset crystal formation, Sonic would usually just be flung up into the air, nothing to see, I'd hit an invisble wall or something and drop down right in front of an enforced "point of no return" sort of area due to a loop or boosters or whatever.

There really wasn't much scope for experimentation or flexibility at all.  Almost every power was either just a key to solve a puzzle, or was simply "now you do this with this Wisp - it takes skill, if you succeed, new path, if you don't, lame lower path".

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea, the Wisp are mostly context sensitive power ups and don't have much use outside of their specified means of use. They aren't like the Fire/Ice Flower which are useful anywhere in a level, and can be taken into other levels either. They provide a fun little distraction, but that's about it.

I just noticed the title says "Relplay value" lol.

I'd say it's a tie, though swaying more in Unleashed's favour.  Whilst I had more fun with Colours overall whilst I was playing it, I found myself returning to Unleashed a little more often due to how relentless and grandiose the levels were.  There's still a slight feeling of exhilaration whilst playing through Unleashed (slight mind you, boost to win formula does lose its lustre quickly as we all know) whereas I don't really get that in Colours.  

Though mind you to be perfectly honest, I don't really play that much of either game any more (I'd personally opt for Generations over both).  All the extras such as Unleashed's concept art, extra videos, extra missions, dlc content etc and Colours' Red Rings, Game Land and Super Sonic are just that.  Extras (hence why the last round was a thing). For me, they don't contribute to the overall replay-ability of the entire experience but rather helped to extend the experience as a whole.  I think replay-ability comes from how the main bulk of the game is designed and how the levels are crafted, as well as aspects that make you want to play the level again to make it feel fresher (the only thing that really did that for me was Super Sonic in Colours and even then because of how he's designed he breaks half the levels).  

I'm very late to the party, though the thread has been a very interesting read.

There are two comments I'd like to make overall:

First is the confusion over why there wasn't anyone in the park; I was always lead to believe that Sonic and Tails breaking into the park early was a given? Perhaps I saw or read something a long time ago that gave me that idea, but it wasn't common knowledge or something. Weird...

The other is the accusations of Colours being too "blocky", or whatever. Thing is this is something that I actually want from a Sonic game; more chances to slow down a bit and do some platforming. The complete BOOST2WIN gameplay of games like Unleashed actually doesn't interest me anywhere near as much and I've always wanted Sonic games to be like they were originally; speed-based platformers. I actually don't mind Sonic's world coming off as a bit fake and unrealistic, and in fact I felt that Unleashed tried too hard to adapt Sonic to our world rather than the other way around.

Of course, this is only my personal feelings. Colours definitely played more to my own desires than Unleashed did.

The other is the accusations of Colours being too "blocky", or whatever. Thing is this is something that I actually want from a Sonic game; more chances to slow down a bit and do some platforming. The complete BOOST2WIN gameplay of games like Unleashed actually doesn't interest me anywhere near as much and I've always wanted Sonic games to be like they were originally; speed-based platformers. I actually don't mind Sonic's world coming off as a bit fake and unrealistic, and in fact I felt that Unleashed tried too hard to adapt Sonic to our world rather than the other way around.

The problem isn't the presence of platforming, it's the fact that it is not Sonic styled platforming.  Remember how everyone generally hates Marble and Labyrinth in Sonic 1 because the platforming doesn't flow?  Colours has all its platforming like that.  Just there, jump on these things - nothing unique to Sonic's game design philosophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually found Colours platforming very fun and rather fitting. In fact the only level I actually disliked upon first playthrough was Terminal Velocity and that's easily the most linear "Unleashed-style" level in the game seeing as you have to keep running basically in a straight line. I really thought that drilling underground and water was a nice new way to adapt Sonic's speed in an interesting way. I found it rather weird how something Knuckles is somewhat famed for seemed to work better adapted to Sonic due to his speed.

• Thumbs Up 4

I didn't actually bother finishing colors and I finished unleashed in spite of my better judgement. There were a couple of extra acts in unleashed that I'd mess around with and I did go back looking for stuff but I ended up unimpressed with the results.

While I enjoyed both games, I have to say Unleashed had the most replay value, not just due to the mamoth amount of content the game has (DLC levels, bonus acts, sun/moon metals, NPC missions, ect) but because it felt more enjoyable to play through it.  I mean no doubt Color is the better game as a whole, but its just so short; 100% the game within the first week i got it, while i still haven't done the same for Unleashed. Besides, I actuary liked the Werehog stages, so i guess thats why I liked it a little more :)

I actually found Colours platforming very fun and rather fitting. In fact the only level I actually disliked upon first playthrough was Terminal Velocity and that's easily the most linear "Unleashed-style" level in the game seeing as you have to keep running basically in a straight line. I really thought that drilling underground and water was a nice new way to adapt Sonic's speed in an interesting way. I found it rather weird how something Knuckles is somewhat famed for seemed to work better adapted to Sonic due to his speed.

Terminal Velocity was about ten times more linear than anything in Unleashed.  The only level in Unleashed even close to that was Rooftop Run Act 4, a DLC act that still had more going on in it than TV did.

Terminal Velocity was about ten times more linear than anything in Unleashed.  The only level in Unleashed even close to that was Rooftop Run Act 4, a DLC act that still had more going on in it than TV did.

That was just one act and a playable cutscene. Compare that to an entire game.

Edited by Longshoreman X

What? You're not making a point. Terminal Velocity is still more linear than just about all of Unleashed's acts, so comparing it to the whole game in an effort to demean the game means absolutely nothing.

And what's worse, despite that fact about it, Terminal Velocity is the most exciting fucking stage in the whole game.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

What? You're not making a point. Terminal Velocity still more linear than just about all of Unleashed's acts, so comparing it to the whole game means absolutely nothing.

And what's worse, despite that fact about it, Terminal Velocity is the most exciting fucking stage in the whole game.

1. What my point is, is overall, Unleashed is more linear than Colors. Much of Unleashed was straight lines and constant boosting, while Colors had more alternate routes and pathways. Two acts being more linear than Unleashed overall doesn't change that.

2. What you call "exciting", I call "rage-inducing" and sometimes even "tedious".

Terminal Velocity was never a favorite of mine, it's fun to play occasionally but between the autorun and flacid ending it doesn't do a whole lot for me, cinematically it's pretty great, and it's a fucking awesome concept but I honestly got more"excitement" from jumping to and fro fucking Asteroid Coasters and homing attacking asteroids, probably because I felt like I had a shit ton more control, I guess that kinda shows Unleashed's philosophy in general doesn't gel with me, even when it's put in a different game.

Personally I would have liked to see an expanded version of Act 2 because it demands more of your attention and was a hit ton more cooler, to bad it only lasted 30 seconds.

1. What my point is, is overall, Unleashed is more linear than Colors. Much of Unleashed was straight lines and constant boosting, while Colors had more alternate routes and pathways. Two acts being more linear than Unleashed overall doesn't change that.

No one's denying Unleashed is more linear than Colors, and ultimately that's not what this tangent is about. What's actually being said is that Terminal Velocity is more linear than just about all of Unleashed. Thus, even if we all agree about Unleashed's linearity in comparison to Colors, that still says nothing about Terminal Velocity itself, which is the point JezMM is making.

• Thumbs Up 1