Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

I didn't really post much in this topic, I did at first but I sort of gave up with it. You guys have given a deep analysis for each game and it has changed my opinions on both games. I didn't really like either of them very much to begin with but now I've seen them for what they are, thanks guys!

If I was to change only one thing about Sonic Unleashed, it would be to add cameos of Sonic's friends. With all the levels and NPCs present and the whole worldwide theme going on I thought it would of been nice and fun for Sonic to run into each of his friends during his travels. As to why his friends would be spread out at these various places, I don't know; but I'm sure the writers could think of something creative to answer that question. Artist kekani over in Devinart summed up my thoughts on this rather nicely:

kmjXjyB.jpg?1

Wasted a perfectly good plot indeed. This picture says a lot, now imagine of this was was all brought to life beyond that?

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm late to the party as always, but I'll throw some random comments on random stuff.

I always thought 4kids' best effort was actually Sonic Rivals 2.  I loathe their Shadow with a passion, but he was actually tolerable in that game.  Knuckles was pretty hilarious to, and Sonic was the best he was going to get as far as the tude.  Since that game, Sonic's been pretty consistent, so I guess that's a thing.  Studiopolis still kicks their asses up and down and all around though.  That said, if hell freezes over, and Scourge gets a speaking role, I'd want non other than Jason Griffith to take the helm.

As far as extras...yeah Unleashed had all that DLC that I never bought, and medals, and S ranking, (anyone who can S Rank Jungle Joyride day is a badass btw) and that was pretty neat, though I didn't bother doing much of it. Colors had a lot less, and would have lost if it wasn't for god damn Super Sonic.  I kid you not, I wasn't going to touch that game until I heard Super Sonic was playable.  So I pirated the EU version, unlocked him there (US version wasn't out yet), then I pirated the US version, did it again (flat broke at the time), and then I actually bought the damn thing and did it a third time.

Yes, all 180 red rings, three times. If there was a colors port to 360, I'd do it a fourth time. God damn I love Super Sonic when he's in game where he belongs.

Now replay value..believe it or not, Unleashed actually wins this one, but it cheated...twice.  It cheated the first time by the fact that I find the 360 to be a vastly superior console, to the point where my Wii is kinda just collecting dust now.  It's all about that party chat.  Unleashed cheated a second time, by how I got a new PC, and well...

71340_2013-05-31_00002_zps91e9ed4e.png

That there is Super Sonic in my favorite Unleashed level, which, combined with the fact that I've forgotten my S rank run, increased the replayablity by a factor of a million.  I would have waited an eternity for that! ;_;

Overall opinions are the same.  Unleashed was a fantastic start to the modern gameplay, even though I hated the daytime levels.  The controls were far too unrefined, and the layouts too trial and error based.  Colors went and rectified this to a degree.  At the cost of visuals, and a bit of speed, It provided a much better experience as far as playability went.  It was actually pretty fun before I unlocked Super.  The wisps were an excellent addition to the gameplay.  Speaking of super, Unleashed had zero excuse for doing what it did with that, and I'd have likely forgiven all my beefs with daytime Sonic had they not screwed that up.

At any rate, it all comes to its logical conclusion with Generations.  The tightness of Colors controls, with the visuals and speed of Unleashed.  Unleashed and Colors come together to make Generations the best damn Sonic game ever.

Now to get this damn S rank.  Jungle Joyride too!

Final thoughts? Eh, before this topic I didn't like Unleashed but I did like Colors quite a bit. Now I really hate Unleashed and I don't really like Colors any more. Good job Soniman >x(

But in all seriousness, nice topic Soniman. It was fun to read and write some of these here posts, so thanks smile.png

And hell, at least I still love Generations to death.

Soniman if you make a topic about Generations vs. Unleashed/Colors I swear to god

Edited by Τhe Joker

Unleashed had zero excuse for doing what it did with that, and I'd have likely forgiven all my beefs with daytime Sonic had they not screwed that up.

I'm curious, have you played the Wii version of Unleashed? I actually find the entire final boss, including the part with Super Sonic, to be far better than the HD version. It's not in-level Super, but it was fun enough to play.

• Thumbs Up 2

Say, after final thoughts, mind leaving it open for the people who missed expressing their opinions on a particular topic while it was relevant? That might be pretty good, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah sure, do whatever you want, not much point in locking it as im sure debates are gonna start again in the future.

I'm curious, have you played the Wii version of Unleashed? I actually find the entire final boss, including the part with Super Sonic, to be far better than the HD version. It's not in-level Super, but it was fun enough to play.

I've not played it, but I watched a stream by BlackArms when the game came out.  I agree with your opinion on all three counts.  The "rock-em sockem robots" with the "Golem Megazord" actually looked pretty neat, compared to what was in the 360 version.  Super Sonic's portion was also less tedious.

What's interesting is that people have created videos merging both versions together and it kind of fits as though both versions were meant to be part of one whole boss fight.

It's also pretty amusing that the 3DS version of Generations seems to have a much better final boss than the HD version as well.

I'm not a fan of the Wii Final Boss because it throws out all the speedy gameplay the game was built upon to me.  You're just floating around and then you dodge stuff to hit the eyes, and there's no sense of weight or satisfaction to any of it.  Unleashed HD's final boss just FELT good to me.

While I tolerate the HD Collossus segments though, I totally agree that the rock em sock em was way better.

In the HD version the Gaia Colossus part looked so finicky and the attacking the snakes that make up the shield part along with the quick-time events just made it look so unsatisfyingly awkward. In the Wii version actually attacking Dark Gaia directly was very fun and the camera doesn't dick you over anywhere near as much since it remains behind you pretty much all of the time allowing you to actually see what you were doing.

The Wii version just seems better designed.

Even S3&K had bosses that rendered Super Sonic's greater speed pointless, including at least one part of the final boss of Doomsday which relied more on movement and strategy.

In the HD version the Gaia Colossus part looked so finicky

It really takes some getting used to for consistent success but it isn't broken, just hard. I can clear it without getting hit once, but I admit most of that comes from learning the pattern of the rocks through repeated play. I'm not genuinely defending this segment, just saying.

and the attacking the snakes that make up the shield part

This part is genuinely fun to me, it plays just like NiGHTS. Though I admit to this day I don't quite "get" how you avoid his attacks when he concentrates on you.

along with the quick-time events just made it look so unsatisfyingly awkward

Not defending these but I enjoyed them. Taking out the arms was a really cool moment for me the first time I played, and I love stuff as intense as the final button mash to finish a boss - Secret Rings' final boss gave me the same satisfaction, even if it is a little cheap to ACTUALLY physically exhaust the player lol.

In the Wii version actually attacking Dark Gaia directly was very fun and the camera doesn't dick you over

anywhere near as much since it remains behind you pretty much all of the time allowing you to actually see what you were doing.

It's less cinematic or exciting though, that's what bothers me. The stage has this fast-paced, thrilling dramatic Sonic and you're just kinda floating about getting rings and waiting for a cursor to appear so you can approach him dodging pre-scripted rocks that come from nowhere. And there's no real sense of weight to the way he recoils from your attack, it's hard to describe (THOUGH I do like to play WiiS2 Unleashed with the rumble feature-less Classic Controller sooo it might be something as simple as that).

Even S3&K had bosses that rendered Super Sonic's greater speed pointless, including at least one part of the final boss of Doomsday which relied more on movement and strategy.

Uhh... what does S3&K have to do with anything? To be honest speedplay has very little to do with either version of Unleashed's last boss anyway. HD feels faster but you're in full control during the part where Sonic is fastest (the NiGHTS-ish section).

Of course I'm not 100% defending the last boss, it'd be foolish to do so when such a huge majority hates it, I'm just clarifying why I enjoy it and don't see it the way you do. Thoooough without nitpicking your wording sounds like you haven't actually played the HD version.

Edited by JezMM

Not gonna say really which one of the games I prefer but will just say that they both had ups and downs even though unleashed is my favorite game. But yeah this was a good topic, everyone had some good opinions and for once it actually gave me a chance to hear why everybody doesn't like or does like this or that without the usual junk arguments I hear at other places so I would have to say that you did a really good job at the structuring and rounds for this topic Soni and I hope we get something like this again at some point.

I'm not in a good mood. I wrote a response to you Jez but I'm not feeling it. I concede; you are correct on everything and I am wrong.

my favourite game is unleashed, but the HD Is way better in graphics, one fault is that the camera is horrible on that game though, colors is annoying but the final boss is the best on colors.

I still stand by my opinion that Sonic Colours is superior but I have to admit that Sonic Unleashed did do a lot of things right which Colours didn't, like the story and extra unlockables.

And I don't care what anyone says, but despite how easy the final boss was I'm SO glad we got to battle against Dr Eggman again as NORMAL Sonic and not some monster with no personality whatsoever as Super Sonic. Looking at you Dark Gaia...

I liked both bosses, The sonic colors boss is so fun i must of played that about 20 times now. The unleashed final boss though is not, And i really do like the werehog levels alot.

• 6 years later...

Unleashed HD in every possible way shape and form.  There are dozens of games I'd play over Colors.  Unleashed though, it's part of my top 3, if not 5, favorite games of all time.

This topic might be more interesting now that Unleashed is seen as “a hidden gem that critics overlooked as another way Sonic tries to keep relevant” and since Colours is seen as “a blocky game that critics ate up because it was easy and pandered to them.”

btw, unleashed and colours are some of my favourite sonic games, colours kinda grew on me

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

(I’m bored)

I’m not gonna lie, the more I think about Colors the more I’m glad how Lost World fixed Sonic’s characterization.  No story in this franchise is anywhere close to as horrendously awful as Colors’ in my eyes.  I’m honestly starting to pity Colors less than I used to.  It well deserves the hate it’s getting.

As a side note, I wonder if Sega will ever use Infinite again.  I mean, they sure love bringing Zavok back (not that I’m complaining).

reading this thread and oh geez, I wonder if if the people who slathered undue praise on Colours will do the same for Forces? They share a whole lot in common.

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Don't bring this cursed topic back. It took years off of my life

You don’t have to be here.  Literally the only reason I am is because this Sonic drought is going on longer than it has any right to and it’s making me bored.

reading this thread and oh geez, I wonder if if the people who slathered undue praise on Colours will do the same for Forces? They share a whole lot in common.

Isn’t Forces one of the very reasons why Colors is getting hate nowadays though (Not that I dislike Forces)?

Edited by Miles Storzillo
Had to add something.
  • Thumbs Up 1