Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

Just when I was about cast my vote as indecisive in terms of music, I read Carbo's post. While both soundtracks are both amazing in their own right my vote must go to Colors' music. It simply had a personally much more memorable soundtrack, and I think a lot of it did have to do with it not being put of a filter for 80% of the level (although Aquarium Park's underwater filter was annoying too) and not stopping every 10 seconds to play The Incredibles theme song repetitive jazz battle music, the least they could have done for that is make a more driving battle ready variation of the specific level's music. Unleashed's cultural tracks will always have a spot in my playlist, but so will Colors' more dynamic tracks.

Seems like it's not a case of a song's quality, but of it being memorable. Certainly Unleashed's level themes are excellent on their own right, but barring Eggmanland and Rooftop Run (as well as the game's theme, Endless Possibilities) they are not all that memorable. Meanwhile, Colours' songs, on the other hand, stick to your head - and are equally marvelous, especially Asteroid Coaster, Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp - since they're so easy to learn and catchy. They were fun enough and fit the game well.

In some ways it's similar to CD. Quite vibrant and very well composed. It's the same issue as art design though: in both cases the two games are arguably the best in the series; nevertheless, Colours wins this round for its memorability.

• Thumbs Up 3

Huh.

You know what? After staring at this page for five minutes I have to admit defeat. I can't choose between them. I think they're both fantastic soundtracks, and I honestly can't think of anything one surpasses the other with. Sonic Colors is the game I prefer to play any day of the week, but if you ask me to choose one soundtrack over the other I'm at a loss.

Same here.

When it comes to soundtracks in general, I never really think that much about choosing specific ones over the other since I just enjoy it and leave it at that. Unleashed and Colours both have superb soundtracks, and I'm unable to choose only one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Unleashed's soundtrack, and generally feel it's up there with the likes of SA1 and even some classic songs. 

While the Day and Night stages are delegated into the rock and jazz genres respectively, they're not merely relegated to the traditional instruments of those genres. Accordions, steel drums, and sitars easily accompany the electric guitars, saxophones  and synths, and it only aids the richness and variety of the soundtrack. I also think the idea of the "Pixar" inspiration helped a great deal too, as I've relented before that some of the Werehog's music, particularly the Big Titan Battle theme, Skyscraper Scamper Night, and Arid Sands Night, sound like they took a few good notes from some of Michael Giacchino's work in The Incredibles. That kind of classy, peppy, old time jazz music is infectious.

There's also great deal of emotional variety within both the BGMS and cut scene music as a result of the Day and Night theme. There's an overall upbeat tone to the entire soundtrack, but some of the themes- especially the hub music- can find time to slow down and actually be atmospheric and even mysterious towards the setting without sacrificing quality and enjoyability. 

But ultimately, I find all of the melodies more memorable. They're very simple but not so much so or repetitious enough to inhibit the quality of the music. Hub, level, and even some of the cut scene music- there is barely a song I outright don't remember or like to some degree, and it's a relationship I just don't share with Colors' music. Outside of Planet Wisp, Aquatic Park, and Terminal Velocity (<333), I'm hard-pressed to remember the actual main melodies running through the other stages. Sweet Mountain's opening riff is there mainly because it's so discordant, but Tropical Resort, Asteroid Coaster, and Starlight Carnival are just gone from my mind, and I'm not even sure the song in ASRT is reminiscent of the actual theme. I literally can't pin it back to the original game. Forget about hub or cut scene music.
  • Thumbs Up 7

I think my problem with Unleashed is that it's too atmospheric, to the point where almost nothing stands out in particular. It's like, I get trying to add music to fit the levels and scenes, but I think the instruments they used needed to be a bit more prominent. I mean, more often than not, you're going to be boosting in the Day stages, and aside from Rooftop Run, the soundtrack doesn't really try to stand out among the music. 

If at the very least, Skyscraper Scamper Day's ridiculous saxophones in the beginning and all throughout the song didn't cause anyone to double-take at the screen the first time they heard them, then I dare say you just weren't paying attention to the music at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just do the simpler thing and listen to the music on it's own. I don't really judge the entire soundtrack offerings strictly from my experience with the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 6

I just do the simpler thing and listen to the music on it's own. I don't really judge the entire soundtrack offerings strictly from my experience with the game itself.

Same. I probably wouldn't have any appreciation for the night time tracks for Unleashed if I hadn't went on YouTube and started listening to them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well part of a gaming experience is listening while playing sooo....

Okay I could... literally talk all day about these two soundtracks and what I love/hate about them, so I'll try to focus on the big stuff.

So, Unleashed, the hub music is GORGEOUS.  I don't love every track but the ones I do love I love a lot.  Spagonia, Apotos, Holoska, Chun-Nan Night, Empire City specifically are just... hnnnng.  They make me feel like I'm THERE.

Daytime music is just SO driving and cool.  I adore every single track, though Windmill Isle, Rooftop Run, Dragon Road and Eggmanland are the stand-outs.

Nighttime music manages to be both simultaneously fitting for the Werehog's actions and movements while also not being so energetic it feels out of place with the subdued visuals.  Highlights for me here would be Windmill Isle, Rooftop Run, Skyscraper Scamper and Jungle Joyride.

I actually adore the battle music on its own, but it shouldn't have been done the way it was.  At the very least it should have only played on caged in fights, but even better, should have been merged into the main theme like PSO's soundtrack, with each level having it's own battle theme.  I mean geez the musicians behind this game pretty much were the same ones from PSO anyway, they know how to do it!

Finally, I love Endless Possibilities and, while it sounds painfully synthesised without the in-game sound effects to mask it, the final boss theme was incredible first time I played, especially the sombre moment before the loop.

Now Colours has some truly incredible stuff too.  I adore the title theme (though not the regular orchestral theme), and the final boss music.  There's also at least one song per zone I adore, though the awkward thing is, as much as I love Colours soundtrack, when I break it all down, I think just, percentage-wise I love a higher percentage of Unleashed songs than I do Colours.

But if nothing else, Unleashed gets my vote for this.  While Colours had a lot of "wow" moments that were certainly helped by the perfectly fitting nature of the soundtrack (Starlight Carnival and especially Aquarium Park are the biggest offenders for boggling me with just how much they SOUND like what the level LOOKS like), it never had one defining moment, where the music, atmosphere, and everything made me fall in love with the game.

Unleashed did, and the gameplay at this point be damned, it was this music that was playing at that moment:

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

Believe it ot not but I used to hate Unleashed soundtrack))! It had only a few memorable catchy tracks and while the music as a whole was fine, it didn't really remind me that it comes from a Sonic game. Didn't get that kind of feeling.. Now it grew on me a lot and I love a lot of tracks. Most of boss fight themes are crap, werehog battle music is shit and some other tracks are just meh..But I can say I like almost every single level music be it a day version or a night one (though night levels music is mostly not as good as day levels music). Same for the HUB music (but here night HUB music is just as great as day HUB). Yeah, I still have that feeling it's not a "Sonic music" if you know what I mean, but after thinking about it I realised that it's a uniques OST in the series just like the storybooks soundtracks.

When Colors came out and I listened to it's OST I still hated Unleashed and thought Colors has way better music, but now it's gotten to the point where I can't really say which one I like the most. It's a really hard choise.

As i've said, Unleashed has some shitty tracks but so does Colors with bosses' themes again and with so much repitition of same tracks in different acts (while it's a very good thing in itself, it makes the whole soundtrack too repetitive).

Vocal tracks.. I can say I like both songs from Unleashed but Colors..OK, Reach for the stars is catchy as hell but so cheesy...And the ending song is GODAWFUL with it's autotune crap.

Oh well.. If I absolutely HAVE to choose one, I think I'll stick with Colors if that's OK with everybody)). Starlight Carnival area music is even my ringtone music xD. But I repeat: Unleashed OST is pretty much just as great. Not as great as 06 or Sa but in comparison to Colors, they are basically equal.

p.s.

Endless Possibilities and, while it sounds painfully synthesised without the in-game sound effects to mask it

That's why I don't really like that track. Too synthesised. Solaris part 2 was miles better just because if how natural it sounded.

p.p.s. Unleashed E rank fail music is perfection)))...in a special way).

Edited by ArtFenix

If I had to choose one then I'd have to go with Unleashed, mainly because he soundtrack is just full of so much variety and life. It's catchy and well composed. There are cultured songs which bring more power and flavour reflecting the country that it's based on which was a very good touch. Every level has a different music style which meant there was something for almost everyone to like (from jazz to techno to rock etc). I like how different instruments were used to illustrate the idea that Sonic was taking a journey across the world. The music for the day stages were very energetic and fun while the night music was calm but very soothing.I also loved the addition of a heroic theme when getting a good rank and it's hilarious how they also added a version of the same theme except it was being played badly (when getting an E rank!)

I really like both vocal tracks from Sonic Unleashed. Not only because they stood out but I could also relate to the lyrics in a way. I don't hate the battle music but I don't think it should have been used the way it was in the game as it didn't give people the chance to listen or appreciate the night music more. I adore The World Adventure theme though. There were catchy tracks in Colors that I did like but there were also other tracks that didn't really stand out for me which is why Unleashed gets my vote.

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd have to agree with a couple of others.  If there's one thing I'm definitely at a loss at when deciding an aspect I favour of the two games it would be choosing between soundtracks.  Both are incredibly crafted and wonderfully diverse.  I guess the only thing I could say conclusively is that Endless Possibility is 1000 times better than both the vocal themes in Colours combined.

• Thumbs Up 1

Believe it ot not but I used to hate Unleashed soundtrack))! It had only a few memorable catchy tracks and while the music as a whole was fine, it didn't really remind me that it comes from a Sonic game. Didn't get that kind of feeling.. Now it grew on me a lot and I love a lot of tracks. Most of boss fight themes are crap, werehog battle music is shit and some other tracks are just meh..But I can say I like almost every single level music be it a day version or a night one (though night levels music is mostly not as good as day levels music). Same for the HUB music (but here night HUB music is just as great as day HUB). Yeah, I still have that feeling it's not a "Sonic music" if you know what I mean, but after thinking about it I realised that it's a uniques OST in the series just like the storybooks soundtracks.

When Colors came out and I listened to it's OST I still hated Unleashed and thought Colors has way better music, but now it's gotten to the point where I can't really say which one I like the most. It's a really hard choise.

As i've said, Unleashed has some shitty tracks but so does Colors with bosses' themes again and with so much repitition of same tracks in different acts (while it's a very good thing in itself, it makes the whole soundtrack too repetitive).

Vocal tracks.. I can say I like both songs from Unleashed but Colors..OK, Reach for the stars is catchy as hell but so cheesy...And the ending song is GODAWFUL with it's autotune crap.

Oh well.. If I absolutely HAVE to choose one, I think I'll stick with Colors if that's OK with everybody)). Starlight Carnival area music is even my ringtone music xD. But I repeat: Unleashed OST is pretty much just as great. Not as great as 06 or Sa but in comparison to Colors, they are basically equal.

p.s.

That's why I don't really like that track. Too synthesised. Solaris part 2 was miles better just because if how natural it sounded.

p.p.s. Unleashed E rank fail music is perfection)))...in a special way).

For a second there, I thought you were saying Endless possibilities was bad.PHEW!:P 

• Thumbs Up 1

Reach for the stars is catchy as hell but so cheesy...And the ending song is GODAWFUL with it's autotune crap.

Arrrrrrrrgh. It's called a vocoder. Not autotune. There's a difference. When will people realize this?

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)
  • Thumbs Up 7

Arrrrrrrrgh. It's called a vocoder. Not autotune. There's a difference. When will people realize this?

I require enlightening: What's the difference between the two?

• Thumbs Up 1

For a second there, I thought you were saying Endless possibilities was bad.PHEW!tongue.png

Nah). I love the song)! (Though His world is still better xD)

Dunno what's the difference either.

In a series that's got great music in general, Unleashed and Colors both stand out as being some of Sonic's best. You really can't go wrong with either game's soundtrack.

Overall, though, I think I have to go with Colors. Unleashed's music is good on its own and a great fit for its settings, but it just doesn't "wow" me enough. Colors, though, manages a mix of excitement, wonder, and playfulness that I think feels closer to "Sonic" than most of Unleashed's soundtrack.

I'd gladly trade Reach for the Stars for Endless Possibilities, tho'...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Endless Possibility is my favourite vocal song in the series, and I adore Unleashed's music, but at gunpoint I'd have to side with Colours.

p.s.

Assuming you mean the Orchestral version of Endless Possibility that plays for the Final Boss, I always thought that sounded more authentic than Solaris Phase 2, which kinda sounded like an Early 90's orchestral soundfont by comparison.

Well I thought otherwise. Solaris p2 sounds more like real instruments were used. Dark Gaia p2 sounds like it's too synthesized making it sound unnatural and not pleasant for my ears.

I'll answer since no on else did.

The primary purpose of a vocoder is to alter the human voice, mainly by analyzing speech and recreating it. In my experience, it carries a note or pitch which in turn provides a harmony.

Auto-tune is accomplished by an audio processor. The original intention of auto-tune was to give a better tuning or to climax a note, but as evidence in most modern music, auto-tune is also used to project an artificial voice.

Nearly five years as an independent music producer.

Edited by Turbo19
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'll answer since no on else did.

The primary purpose of a vocoder is to alter the human voice, mainly by analyzing speech and recreating it. In my experience, it carries a note or pitch which in turn provides a harmony.

Auto-tune is accomplished by an audio processor. The original intention of auto-tune was to give a better tuning or to climax a note, but as evidence in most modern music, auto-tune is also used to project an artificial voice.

Nearly five years as an independent music producer.

True, but if you complain in public about how much you hate the use of a vocoder the response you'll likely get is "Huh?" and then nerd-accusatory stares after you explain what it is. But if you complain in public about how much you hate autotune everyone will get what you mean and probably agree.

On that note, I really hate autotune, but for some reason I enjoy the ending song of Sonic Colors.

True, but if you complain in public about how much you hate the use of a vocoder the response you'll likely get is "Huh?" and then nerd-accusatory stares after you explain what it is. But if you complain in public about how much you hate autotune everyone will get what you mean and probably agree.

On that note, I really hate autotune, but for some reason I enjoy the ending song of Sonic Colors.

Yeah, I hear you.

While on the subject of Sonic Colors, I have to say I enjoyed the soundtrack much more than the actual game. Reach for the Stars while artificial sounding was a nice change of pace from the standard offerings. I'm not much a fan of Cash Cash's work, but overall they did a good job creating a melodic theme that not only perfectly defined the game, but also stayed true and relevant to their other work. For that I applaud them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I recently discovered my ex doesn't like Speak With Your Heart or Reach for the Stars. Saddened me immensely, since I had plans to go with him to the next Sonic Boom and I needed to get him a list of songs to memorise. Well, made the list shorter I guess.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. I do like Cash Cash's use of the softer and more perky songs, though. It's good for Crush 40's more serious and rock songs to have a foil. With Mr. Brotherton gone Cash Cash is a good substitute. Plus they've shown they can handle themselves in the non-lyrical field too.

Hope Cash Cash and Crush 40 do more work together in the future, would be nice.

Well, looking at the lyrics and the actual beat... it's just a nice song, I think.

Speaking of. If folks want a non-autotuned version, there's this. You can actually hear Alex's voice. You get this by muting one half of the speakers though so some parts are missing.