Awoo.

Would you support a Sonic 3d blast taxman remake?

Chaos Incarnate

I made a thread like this on the sega forums, and wondered what people here would think. Anyway, would you go for a 3d blast remake on xbox live, psn, and IOS, similar to the CD remake? Let's say you can choose between Genesis and Saturn Soundtrack and Graphics, along with the choice of which special stage you want to play. Also, maybe a mode can be thrown in where you don't have to rescue the flickies, for good measure. Do you think you would get more enjoyment out of 3d blast if it were remade like this?

EeeEeeeh....it's just not that interesting of a game....almost BORING, and that's no bueno. They shouldn't waste their time on it to be honest, there are better games and ideas to flesh out.

(Feel free to remix the special stage theme though, it's awesome.)

Edited by /_JXJ_\

Not really. I mean the Saturn version with HD graphics and remixed music and such would be nice but I won't hold my breath on that.

Not really. 3D Blast holds up pretty well, for what it tried to do...but what it tried to do isn't really that great. Having the Genesis version around is enough, unless you really desperately want the stuff from the Saturn version...which I don't.

Also a mode where you don't have to rescue flickies would be nonsense, that's the whole point of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not worth the effort... no one would ever consider this game more than decent, let alone "the best Sonic game ever" like some feel about Sonic CD. It would be nice to see a good port of the Saturn version the next time Sega wants to make an easy buck with retro collection but that's it.

Sonic 3D Blast was the only other sonic game that was giving to me when I was little after having Sonic 1 and 2. And while I love that game for what is worth, I would go out of my way to buy it again. I hardly buy remakes.

The problem is, Sonic CD has similar, almost-identical physics and gameplay mechanics to the Genesis trilogy, which Taxman already made an engine for, whereas 3D Blast has, at the very least, rather different mechanics, so even if he's working on such a remake, we might not see it for a long time, and the finished product might not be worth/sell as much as the production time would require.

Edited by Can of Nothing

I don't see any reason to have 3D Blast remade. It's ported to hell and back through various compilations already, so it's not like it's hard to find it. And it's not like there were huge regional differences like Sonic CD had with it's soundtrack that would warrant a remake.

I'd like to see the Saturn version maybe end up on a compilation someday, but even that's unlikely, given how difficult Saturn emulation is.

The only way you could make 3D Blast any better than what it already is would be to basically rework it from the ground up until it's no longer even the same game.  Sure, Taxman did wonders for Sonic CD, but those are two entirely different games.  For one, the original CD was debatably already a good game that Taxman simply made better.  3D Blast, whilst not a horrible game (or at least, maybe it's not horrible because it was my first Sonic game), suffers from a horrible gimmick and a poor execution.  Assuming Taxman can do anything about the game at all, all it would be is essentially the equivalent of taking an old, unreliable car and giving it a new coat of paint and an MP3 player.  At the end of the day, it's still an old and unreliable car.  In the same sense, even if you remade 3D Blast with some interesting new features, it would still be a relatively mediocre and repetitive game.

With that said, would I be against the idea of Taxman remaking it if he can?  Certainly not, but I think there are much better games for him to focus on.

I like Sonic 3d blast and I have never played the Saturn version, so I would be happy if we got an enhanced re-release which included:

• Both the Saturn and Genesis games and soundtracks.
  • All three versions of the special stage. The PC version of the game (that was a port of the Saturn version) had a completely different special stage.
  • Proper widescreen.
  • An option to be able to play the Genesis soundtrack whilst playing the Saturn version of the game etc.

The thing is, whilst I have no doubt that Christian Whitehead could do an enhanced re-release of Knuckles Chaotix, I am not sure if his Retro engine has the ability to support the isometric view of 3d blast (especially the Saturn version which has more powerful graphics). Besides whilst I love what CW did with Sonic CD, hasn't SEGA got the staff and tech to do a quality port/re-release themselves? All evidence to the contrary.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 4

Dont Know But The Game Isnt That Good But They Could Do Aleast A Decent Remake If They Had Hd And The Sega Genesis

And SEGA Saturn Soundtracks It Could Be Good

Screw the haters. I love the game)). It mas some atmosphere). And the music.. Oh my God it's amazing! Talking about Genesis version  because in the Saturn one I only like a few tracks like panic puppet, you're my hero and a couple more. The levels sometimes have better pallete in Genesis version too though some levele like Rusty ruin look better in the Saturn version.

It'd be cool to see a modern widescreen remake that would combine the best from both games.

Speaking of Taxman, I'd rather he did Sonic 3&Knuckles remake. I'd soooooo play it!

And it's not like there were huge regional differences like Sonic CD had with it's soundtrack that would warrant a remake.

Lolwhut. Sonic 3D Blast had more platform differences than Sonic CD had with it's regional difference (which is just the soundtrack).

Edited by ArtFenix

The only way a Sonic 3D remake would interest me is if it was ACTUALLY remade in 3D, with an adjustable camera that follows Sonic and a sort of puzzle-platformer-esque aesthetic with the blocky graphical design left intact (I guess force-fields or something could appear if you try to jump out of the checkerboard area despite it being seemingly possible to do so like in the original).  I imagine it sorta handling like Sonic World in Sonic Jam (or at least how I imagine that to handle from watching footage lol).

But it's such an unpopular game it wouldn't be worth the effort unfortunately.  I'd love to see an enhanced port with switchable graphics/music.

Edited by JezMM

I would prefer Knuckles Chaotix, since I believe it has the most potential out of the classic games to look gorgeous in widescreen/HD.

Same here, also if the gameplay was tweaked just a bit it would be awesome, and it did have the best graphics out of the classic games didn't it? And I think Taxman would be the only person who would do it justice, otherwise we could get a very bad broken port(and I know we dont want that). Anyways, Sega already did a release of 3d blast, they have never ported Knuckle's Chaotix (a Shame really)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I really think there isn't that much you can do with 3D Blast. The controls would need some serious work as well as the camera and frankly I think it's not worth the effort. Especially given the gameplay, which pretty much consists of the same item hunting crap people were so fed up with in SA and SA2, though in Sonic 3D blast you don't even have the luxury of a radar or decent controls and you lose everything you have collected if you take a hit. There are a load of other games they could work on that would appeal to more people. Then again, SEGA doesn't really seem to be too concerned about that given their current track record of Game Gear games on the 3DS eShop. 

Still, the game is much better than boring Knuckles Chaotix. At least for me.

I would argue that, despite its odd level layouts it still maintains the main functions of a sonic game, whereas 3D-blast could in its own turn be even more boring. however I am not here to argue about that, just here to say I would be willing to support a taxman remake of Knuckle's Chaotix which has sadly never been 'officialy' ported to PC, or ever messed with after its release officialy by sega, unlike 3D blast which has been rereleased several times, and ported as well

Now my question is: How can we contact Taxman, and ask him/ try to convince him to do a Knuckle's Chaotix remake/port? Because I believe with the right hand behind it KC could really shine, however a normal port wouldnt do it justice. I mean above everything else you guys have to admit the game did have potential, just had a bad release console and not enough polishing.

I'd say it doesn't have enough anything. When I tried to play it I got bored very quickly. The color palette is too bright and messy, you can hardly understand what to do and where to go, there are barely any enemies.

The final boss looks epic though. Saw it n YT.

I love flickies island (screw blast :P) it was actually one of my favourite sonic games when I was a kid. I just adored it.

That said, no I wouldn't want a new port, I already have the game twice (megadrive and mega collection) so I've no desire to get it again. There's also not much they could do in terms of bonus stuff. Switching soundtracks and getting all special stages would be nice but not nice enough to justify getting it again for me....

I'd say it doesn't have enough anything. When I tried to play it I got bored very quickly. The color palette is too bright and messy, you can hardly understand what to do and where to go, there are barely any enemies.

The final boss looks epic though. Saw it n YT.

well the levels have a bit of an stacked S style layout, I can understand that, and while there arent a ton of enemies, there is a nice variety where there is, and actualy all the bosses are pretty good. and while the colors are bright, there is also a LOT of detail in the background and enviroment sprites, even more so than S3&K. Like I said before, its not perfect, but has a lot of potential in the right hands....