Awoo.

The wrestling topic

iDEATH

Any wrestling fans kicking around on this forum?

I, like many others I suspect, loved wrestling as a kid then grew out of it when I discovered the hard truth that....it may be slightly less than....real DUN DUN DUN.

For the past year and a half though I've been getting back into it, once you accept it for what it is, it's incredibly enjoyable. I watch it more like a soap opera than a sporting event. It has all the mainstays of a soap opera, over the top characters, cliched plots,

It's theatre as it's most base and I love it :)

So what about you guys? What are your favourite promotions? favourite stars? What do you think of the current plotlines etc etc.

Go!

899430830598ad06411140a27aaa4268f507d.gi

• Thumbs Up 1

once you accept it for what it is, it's incredibly enjoyable. I watch it more like a soap opera than a sporting event. It has all the mainstays of a soap opera, over the top characters, cliched plots,

It's theatre as it's most base and I love it smile.png

This. People really need to just accept that, and then it becomes fantastic to watch. I started rewatching WWE programming from Raw 1000 last July, and since then, i've stuck to it and am really back loving it like i did in the late 90's biggrin.png

I did try to watch TNA, but ehh..While I like seeing ex-WWE stars on it, I can't get over the size of their ring, or for that matter, the giant turnbuckle pads tongue.png although, to be fair, I do like their style of matches more, as it mirrors a mix of current and slight attitude era WWE. But yeah, Its difficult enough to stick to WWE stories, let alone another promotion's shows too tongue.png

I used to watch WWE (mainly Raw and Smackdown) back in the mid-late 2000s. I also had a few wrestling games.

I also remember my cousin having a wrestling game for the Genesis. The only reason I remember despite it being so many years ago is because the menu theme is awesomely catchy, I'm highly confident that this theme is the menu theme of WWE Royal Rumble.

I watch it more like a soap opera than a sporting event too. One bad thing here in Brazil the translation job is very poor, all characters have the same voice so it lose a bit of its dramatic feeling. Anyway when I can I always watch this with my father. He always say when we watch some fight with fighters like Big Show "this is art, a guy with this size doing these moves and nobody gets hurt, he is an artist".

Personally I like Rey Mysterio, Big Show, Ryback, one giant Indian that I forget the name who had a move that he chokes the other guy with only one hand and the Undertaker :P

I'm not even sure if the people I liked are even on the show anymore.

I did try to watch TNA, but ehh..While I like seeing ex-WWE stars on it, I can't get over the size of their ring, or for that matter, the giant turnbuckle pads tongue.png although, to be fair, I do like their style of matches more, as it mirrors a mix of current and slight attitude era WWE. But yeah, Its difficult enough to stick to WWE stories, let alone another promotion's shows too tongue.png

TNA's pretty good, it gets a worse write up than it deserves.

I don't get the chance to watch WWE as much as I'd like but I keep up with it online, problem is it's on sky. TNA is availible on freeview, including the PPVs so I get to watch it a lot more.

I watch it more like a soap opera than a sporting event too. One bad thing here in Brazil the translation job is very poor, all characters have the same voice so it lose a bit of its dramatic feeling.

Wow, never really thoght about that, yeah it must be off putting, didn't really know they over dubbed the wrestlers, thought they'd maybe just have a different commentray team.

I'm not even sure if the people I liked are even on the show anymore.

They probablyare in some way, wrestlers find it notoriously difficult to retire, who did you like?

TNA's pretty good, it gets a worse write up than it deserves

Because it used to be terrible. Emphasis on 'used to'. It's still not as good as WWE in my opinion but it has many good points. Especially since they got rid of Vince Russo. *shudder*

WWE's two biggest current problems are that they have too many cooks in the kitchen (i.e, too many writers, none of which can over-rule Vince McMahon, Steph McMahon or Triple H) and that they're not terribly good at getting new people popular. Eventually Cena, Orton and many of the big names will have to retire and right now they only seem to have Ryback and Alberto Del Rio as new stars.

That being said, they're improving on the latter issue. Antonio Cesaro has had a slow, steady build for half a year now and it's really paying off. The Shield are also interesting, though I'd like to see them wrestle more instead of just appearing out of nowhere and beating people up.

• Thumbs Up 1

TNA's pretty good, it gets a worse write up than it deserves.

I don't get the chance to watch WWE as much as I'd like but I keep up with it online, problem is it's on sky. TNA is availible on freeview, including the PPVs so I get to watch it a lot more.

Yeah, I have to watch Raw streamed online, or via download on Tuesdays, same with Smackdown, which I actually usually download over Friday lunchtime so I can watch it later that day.

Antonio Cesaro has had a slow, steady build for half a year now and it's really paying off. The Shield are also interesting, though I'd like to see them wrestle more instead of just appearing out of nowhere and beating people up.

The Shield beating -everyone- up is getting rather.... over repetitive now and its all they seem to do, Hopefully they'll actually do something useful with them like they eventually did with Ryback towards the end of last year, instead of him beating jobbers every show tongue.png

Over here.

Yeah, been watching since 1999, although I had a brief drought throughout much of 2005 through the winter of 2006. Recently (like, 2011 recently) I've been getting to wrestling outside the U.S., particularly puroresu/Japanese por-wrestling. Notable promotions are NJPW, NOAH and BJW to name a few.

Because it used to be terrible. Emphasis on 'used to'. It's still not as good as WWE in my opinion but it has many good points. Especially since they got rid of Vince Russo. *shudder*

On the first point, yes TNA has really been having some entertaining television as far as the wrestling goes; 2012 was the best I've seen out of TNA in a while in my opinion. My only issue is that the divisions that really made TNA stand out have become less emphasized since the 'Hogan/Bischoff Era' arrived. They have a really good roster it's just not being utilized well enough to highlight said divisions. Especially the X-Division....sigh.

With them going on the road real soon for their shows, hopefully they can light a new fire for the company; the Impact Zone is long past dead.

On the first point, yes TNA has really been having some entertaining television as far as the wrestling goes; 2012 was the best I've seen out of TNA in a while in my opinion. My only issue is that the divisions that really made TNA stand out have become less emphasized since the 'Hogan/Bischoff Era' arrived. They have a really good roster it's just not being utilized well enough to highlight said divisions. Especially the X-Division....sigh.

Yeah that's been annoying, when they started the Impact Wrestling brand Hogan was insistent that it would mean a much higher emphasis on the X-division, it was going pretty well but ever since this guy left the X-division

austin2_1086.jpg

it's been pretty much non-existent. I'm glad he's getting bigger billing because he's by far the best performer in the company but the X-division needs him back.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/paul-bearer-passes-26096670 

We lost one of the greatest managers the wrestling world has ever had. R.I.P. Paul Bearer/William Moody. Now you're together with your wife in peace.

Was sad to see this this morning, Moody was a great worker, the stuff he did with Kane/Undertaker was brilliant but people forget he did a lot of fun things with Vader and Mankind too among others.

Not much else to say other than

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since Wrestlemania is about....four or so days away, I'd figure I give my general opinion on the card this year as well as my opinions for match outcomes. Firstly; the card itself and my brief outcomes (keep in mind this the card currently; it can still change between now and this Sunday).

WWE Championship Match: John Cena vs. The Rock © - Cena wins (lol)

TWICE IN A LIFETIME (sorry)

Word going around that Rock will work Extreme Rules after WM, I want to see him retain. But I know that won't happen. Cena wants 'redemption' after last year, so him walking out champ is a foregone conclusion. The thing is though, the entire build for the match sucked. It was nothing like last year; to me not having the WWE CHAMPION there on a more frequent basis really hurt the build for this. Even after last week's debate, where Cena showed cracks in his armor and made my interest go up, after this past RAW he went right back to the same Cena. Rock, on the other hand, enjoyed his promos and at first is the only reason I had interest...when he is THERE. 

Singles Match: CM Punk (w/Paul Heyman) vs. The Undertaker - Taker wins (If Punk wins, then well I'll be, BUT it has to be the last match on the card. Better impact to leave off from Mania that way)

Pretty much the match I'm looking forward to the most, this past RAW sealed the deal for me. I don't understand how people would be so shocked by this that much, when in the AE it was a lot more raunchier and controversial.  Moody's sons were ok with the end segment, just not what they envisioned. Although, this whole feud has been a two-way street; someone's unfortunate passing brought us, in my opinion, the most personal and exciting feud on the card. 

No Holds Barred Match: Brock Lensar (w/Paul Heyman) vs. Triple H (w/ Shawn Michaels) (if HHH loses he must retire) - Brock wins

The rematch of Summerslam 2012, I've been ok with how this match was built up, nevermind the fact HHH is on the card again) The stip (match type) is lackluster to me, but with the added stip that HHH must retire, I want to see if HHH will let Brock pin him again. Frankly, Brock's return hasn't been all too exciting. Losing his first match since 2004 to John Cena really drove that point home I feel. On the other hand though, since Brock has signed a two-year extension (with possible title run) he needs to win this match to regain that dominance he had.

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Jack Swagger (w/ Zeb Colter) vs. Alberto Del Rio © (w/ Ricardo Rodriguez) - ADR retains, but Ziggler cashes in

The only of the four 'top' matches that isn't a rematch of some sort, how this began initially caused quite a bit of controversy; said controversy WWE (Vince, rather), capitalized on. Zeb Co(u)lter has kept this alive, as it was losing steam just as it began. Swagger has been showing a newer intensity in the ring, and his mic work has been slightly better when he does handle the stick. ADR on the other hand....I like him as babyface, but man he cannot get the reaction he needs to save his life. Freaking Ricadro gets louder pops than him on occasion. Keeping that in mind, I don't expect such a clean win.. See, I think Swagger will lose this match, only if his arrest for last month still rings in effect. So ADR retains...IM HERE TO SHOW THE WORLD....yup.

Singles Match: Ryback vs. Mark Henry -Ryback wins

On paper, this is an interesting match. Too bad this fell victim to poor booking, as this has average interest in me. What happened to the main event title push Henry wanted? Hard to see one of these guys losing. Ryback NEEDS a win; his last five PPV matches ended not in his favor. For Henry, coming back recently EQUALLY needs to show why he can still be as dominant as he was as WHC. However, for the sake of push, Ryback wins this.

Singles Match: Fandango vs. Chris Jericho - FAN..........DANG............GO wins

Another match that has been poorly built on but has quickly turned that around last Monday, this is a proving ground for FAN.........DANG.................GOooooooooooooo... Jericho is the perfect person to give Fandango the edge he needs. He already has the heel turn down, hear the crowd boo him like crazy and the 'YOU CANT WRESTLE' chants? He's making this work, he just needs to maintain that and not be rash with it. 

Six Man Tag Team Match: The Shield vs. Randy Orton, Sheamus & Big Show - The Shield wins

The Shield has been unstoppable on PPV since TLC 2012. With how this match can turn out...hmmm...I do see The Shield winning, but not cleanly in a sense. Hear me out. Either Big Show turns on his team, maybe laying out either Sheamus or Orton with the Knock Out Punch. He walks out on them, and one of the Shield members pick up the victory. Or....OR...and this is a big one, if Orton turns heel on his group, costing them the win. Now, if he does go heel, will he side with The Shield? Or start a program with Sheamus?

WWE Tag Team Championship: Dolph Ziggler & Big E Langston (w/ AJ Lee) vs. Team Hell No (Kane & Daniel

Bryan) © - Team Ziggles win

Now, why couldn't this be a Fatal-4-Way Tag match or something? That's all I ask...ANYWAY

This was JUST made about two weeks ago, with Ziggler pinning both champions on RAW and Smackdown respectively. I didn't realize this at first, but A.J. being in this feud kinda make sense. Remember her and that love triangle with Bryan and Kane last year? In addition, I feel Team Hell No has gone its course. I want to see Bryan move up in the ranks once more. And Kane can get into another good singles run before he's done. Now, I feel Team Ziggles will win the belts, but Ziggler himself may walk out with two titles. Oh, and this is Big E's first televised match; at WM no less.

Eight-Person Mixed Tag Team Match: Tons of Funk & The Funkadactyls vs. Rhodes Scholars & The Bella Twins - The heels win

The Rhodes Scholars, reduced to this...they should have been in the Tag Title match...

This should have been on the pre-show; I'm baffled as to seeing Tons of Funk on the main card Cody and Sandow deserve a lot better than this. I will say seeing the Funkadactyls' work on Monday was really nice, since you know, the division itself sucks right now? I HOPE after this Cody and Sandow move up; Vince had confidence in Sandow to begin with.

(Pre-Show) Intercontinental Championship Match: The Miz vs. Wade Barrett © - Miz wins

And here's WWE treating the other secondary title in a bad light. I had no interest in the feud whatsoever, it's the two guys going at it for the belt that has me intrigued for how this match goes down. Unfortunately, as much as they tried to make seem like this match's build up has purpose, it doesn't. Firstly, having Wade lose more often that him winning really hurts the value of the championship he's holding and himself going into WM. Second, being knocked off the main card, while beneficial to the online viewers to see a championship match, hurts the prestige even more. Also, I don't really care who wins, although I'm edging out a little bit to see Wade pull through. But he had it for three months you say? And WWE is trying their damnest to make Miz face? Hmmm.....fine.

Now, as you can see, it's a pretty stacked card in terms of talent on board. I like my Wrestlemanias to be like this, as long as the wrestling is first and foremost. Frankly however, the overall build for this year's grand event has been pretty lackluster. Other than the four top matches, the rest of the card was in limbo only until a good two, three weeks ago.

Creative fumbled over a number of potential matchups (Sheamus/Barrett, to Jericho/Miz/Barrett, to just Miz and Barrett), illogical booking (putting Ryback AGAIN in a six man tag against The Shield, even when he lost twice against them up til now, only to swap him out for Big Show, who didn't have a match on the card to begin with, even though he had recently built beef with the trio), seemingly leaving Y2J with no program until two weeks ago for example. 

I get that they are burned out, and having issues with Vince's creative plans for the event, it made it even worse. More so that their secondary champions aren't even on the main card. Particularly the United States Champion, Antonio Cesaro. I mean really WWE; he is one of your best workers in the company right now and proved that when he won the title back at Summerslam last year. He's been showing good in-ring skills and brought some prestige to the desperately needed belt. Then Elimination Chamber happened and he been losing for the most part since then. Why book him in that light; he could have settled his fued with Miz at Mania, or the very least have him in a program with a returning R-Truth, who we haven't even seen in two weeks since his return.

On paper, these matches aren't giving me that WM hype; and I put the blame on the rush and lack of proper build. Hopefully the actual event can change my mind. I mean; I want it to be the opposite of WM25; exciting on paper but left a lot to be desired when the actual event happened.

Edited by TheChaosBlue
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can see Punk actually beating Undertaker, first time i could actually believe the streak ending. Taker's getting too old for it to be believable that he'd beat the young guys (probably the reason the last four have been fellow long time workers) he's in pretty poor shape day to day (in terms on injuries) and it's looking like he won't be wrestling much longer.

If he's gonna retire it's gotta be at the end of the streak, if he keeps winning then the streak has to keep going.

I see Punk winning and taker retiring and getting into the hall of Fame next year

Gotta disagree with you there, Jake. Really can't see Taker losing at Mania, especially now. The only times I thought there was a possibility of him losing was the 2 matches with Michaels and last years with Triple H. I was actually hoping this past WrestleMania was his last, seeing as 20-0 is a nice, round number, and the fact that the match was being touted as the 'end of an era.' I wanted to see both Taker and HHH go out with that match, it was the perfect sendoff. But I might be a little biased because it would've been awesome to say I saw Taker's and HHH's last match live.

So yeah, I see Taker going 22-0 and having his last match at WrestleMania 30. Just seems like the most logical choice seeing as he doesn't have too many matches left and he obviously didn't stop after 20-0.

I have to say, even though the circumstances are extremely unfortunate with Bearer's death and what not, it really helped to put over an awesome feud. He loved the business, so its probably what he would've wanted.

I can see Punk actually beating Undertaker, first time i could actually believe the streak ending. Taker's getting too old for it to be believable that he'd beat the young guys (probably the reason the last four have been fellow long time workers) he's in pretty poor shape day to day (in terms on injuries) and it's looking like he won't be wrestling much longer.

If he's gonna retire it's gotta be at the end of the streak, if he keeps winning then the streak has to keep going.

I see Punk winning and taker retiring and getting into the hall of Fame next year

Now, I do agree that Punk is the closest we have CURRENTLY that can break the streak while Undertaker still has some fuel in his tank for maybe his last possible Wrestlemania match. If that is what WWE is going towards, then having this match END the show would be a lot better, it can preserve the shock well into RAW the next night. If this outcome happened in the middle of the show, I feel its impact will lose a lot of momentum.

I always believe Taker should retire undefeated; he deserves it after his career. At the same time, it's not just 'The Streak' that made him what he is today. If this may be his final match, and does put Punk over, then he feels that Punk will get that rub needed (not that he 400+ WWE Title reign proved that enough).

Gotta disagree with you there, Jake. Really can't see Taker losing at Mania, especially now. The only times I thought there was a possibility of him losing was the 2 matches with Michaels and last years with Triple H. I was actually hoping this past WrestleMania was his last, seeing as 20-0 is a nice, round number, and the fact that the match was being touted as the 'end of an era.' I wanted to see both Taker and HHH go out with that match, it was the perfect sendoff. But I might be a little biased because it would've been awesome to say I saw Taker's and HHH's last match live.

So yeah, I see Taker going 22-0 and having his last match at WrestleMania 30. Just seems like the most logical choice seeing as he doesn't have too many matches left and he obviously didn't stop after 20-0.

I have to say, even though the circumstances are extremely unfortunate with Bearer's death and what not, it really helped to put over an awesome feud. He loved the business, so its probably what he would've wanted.

I agree with you mostly there; if anything if Taker still has enough in him and he feels comfortable about working next year; it's do-or-die with the streak. Either Punk goes over, and this will be Taker's final match and like Jake said he's inducted into the HoF next year or he wins this match and ends his career, undefeated, at WM30 with 22-0.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see him do the 22-0 and end at Wrestlemania 30 but I'm just not sure it'll happen (hope i'm wrong though) I think if he's ever gonna retire properly then he'll have to lose the  streak, otherwise there'll always be the demand for the never final "one last match" at Wrestlemania, it's hard enough for wrestlers to retire anyway without a record as impressive as the streak

I'd like to see him do the 22-0 and end at Wrestlemania 30 but I'm just not sure it'll happen (hope i'm wrong though) I think if he's ever gonna retire properly then he'll have to lose the  streak, otherwise there'll always be the demand for the never final "one last match" at Wrestlemania, it's hard enough for wrestlers to retire anyway without a record as impressive as the streak

I would to mention that when a notable wrestler retires, specifically from WWE, they would lose their last match. I too think there's a high probably that this may be Taker's last match and him losing will close a chapter of Wrestlemania itself. 

I got to say, never before I saw so many before being this divided about a Taker match this greatly; only time I can see this happening was WM25.

Onto other news, next week Jeff Hardy and Bully Ray will compete in Full Metal Mayhem for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Also. 2 Out of 3 Falls Match for the TNA World Tag Team Championships between Dirty Heels (Bobby Roode & Austin Aries) vs. Chavo & Hernandez. Is the faces lose, they must disband.

I expect the World Title match to be a great match in of itself. The Tag Title match....okay so TNA has only three actual tag teams and 2/3rds of that are heels. That stipulation seems really tacked on for no reason, so the faces are walking out the champions. Where does that leave Roode and Aries if that happens? I really hope to see those two back in the main event picture for one.See, TNA needs to start putting more effort into their tag division. Having those three teams on tv helps sure, but THREE teams are not what a strong division make.

CANADIAN DESTROYER. Man I am happy to see Petey Williams back in TNA. I enjoyed the X-Division match last night. While I still have an issue with the apparent no storyline around the title, seeing more frequent matches makes up for it.

I just hope that after next week's Impact Wrestling the build to Slammiversary can REALLY begin. They failed to build up Lockdown properly as a result of last minute booking; this ppv (in my opinion) is far more important to TNA's history. So they need to treat it as such. Get some concise and structured build for it. Have someone else be number 1 contender (I'm going got Bully to retain, as honestly this will be his first match since winning the belt so losing it will be worthless at this point) that's not Hardy again.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Is the faces lose, they must disband.

Oh please god yes, I can't stand Chavo and Hernandez, the fact that they're getting better bookings than Kaz and Daniels baffles me. 

At least Hernandez seems to have cleaned up his act, he's not injured anyone for a while (unless i missed something)

Oh please god yes, I can't stand Chavo and Hernandez, the fact that they're getting better bookings than Kaz and Daniels baffles me. 

At least Hernandez seems to have cleaned up his act, he's not injured anyone for a while (unless i missed something)

Me neither; for a face team I just can't click with them at all. They don't have that charisma that Bad Influence have and their promos...let's face it aren't that good. I feel they have been over-exposed, and that's saying something when TNA seemingly has only three main tag teams to highlight each week.

Sadly, as you said, this probably means they'll win the titles and get yet more high ranking matches for them.

As for the WHC, I'm hoping Bully keeps ahold of it for a long time. If he does lose pretty quickly, please god don't let it be to Nero again. Hardy's run was the most lackluster title reign I think i've ever seen, the fact that they gave the title to him over Aries (whose run looked to be awesome) was just so disappointing.

oo a wrestling topic

BackStory: Use to like it as a kid and grew out of it, Got back into it a few years ago when i watched the rumble with my mate. Loved it ever since. As im more older i like looking back and like the documentarys and shoots and learning about what happens in the back along with athleticism of some of the wrestlers. Managed to meet Mick Foley twice [3rd time this month] and Bret Hart in December. Also bought that plaque with CM Punk and Paul Heymans autographs. So yea.

Fave Full Timers: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes.

Wrestlemania Predictions

Cena>Rock [Won't be that interested in watching shouldn't be happening]

Taker>Punk [Love them both but Takers streak will never end]

HHH>Lesnar [He won't retire like that]

Hell No>Zig/E [Zigglers gonna win the WHC don't want to give them a quick tag team run which will demean the tag belts]

Diva Match [Who cares]

Funk>Scholars [To please the kiddys]

Rio>Swag/Ziggler cash in [Hes the show off also why he won't win the tag match]

Shield>Rest

Dunno if i forgot anyway i know who WWE forgot. Antonio Cesaro. Shocking he isn't on the card. Hosting Mania in my new flat so should be good.

Managed to meet Mick Foley twice [3rd time this month]

Take it you were at the fringe show last year? What night, you might have been in the same night as me, did you pick up a cheap pop shirt?

I'm going to his Glasgow show at the end of the month also.

296968_10151104324044914_274560121_n.jpg

Sadly, as you said, this probably means they'll win the titles and get yet more high ranking matches for them.

As for the WHC, I'm hoping Bully keeps ahold of it for a long time. If he does lose pretty quickly, please god don't let it be to Nero again. Hardy's run was the most lackluster title reign I think i've ever seen, the fact that they gave the title to him over Aries (whose run looked to be awesome) was just so disappointing.

I hope Bully keeps the title for a good while too, I mean since winning it this will be his first match and first title defense next Thursday. I am looking forward to that match. And while I agree Hardy's third reign as champion has been....lackluster, it's far better then the last two reigns he had. *shudder*

Plus, his title defenses with Aries and Roode were top notch, but I may be biased because I like Aries and Roode's work in the ring a lot more and I feel they made Hardy look as good as his main event run in WWE. lol