Awoo.

The wrestling topic

iDEATH

Thar is very tragic. Like you said he was on raw this past Monday man. May he Rest In Peace

Such a shame, he seemed in such good health at RAW too...

I don't know about that; he really did look blown up; couldn't shake the ropes all too much and seemed to be clutching at his chest after his (now poignant) promo. 

I don't know about that; he really did look blown up; couldn't shake the ropes all too much and seemed to be clutching at his chest after his (now poignant) promo. 

Hmm, maybe a little, though initially I just put that down to his lifestyle, after all, he was a guy in his fifties who'd spent the majority of his life getting beat up and thrown around. I've seen some comments though saying he was clearly very weak and in pain backstage, given all that he said in his final promo, it seems pretty obvious he knew his time was up. It's just touching hew got his final moment in the sun, in front of an audience who respected him despite him having his name dragged through the mud for so long.

As for the promo deserves a post for those who haven't seen it, so here it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

This makes me sad that this wasn't wrestlemania 30

And yes this is an official video by WWE

This makes me sad that this wasn't wrestlemania 30

And yes this is an official video by WWE

It's a pretty old video, I'm sure they used the exact same clip in an article they published a while back about dream matches. The only other one I can remember from the list was Big Show/Andre *snore*

However, the fact that they've resurrected it makes me a little more hopeful that the Sting/WWE rumours are true. Latest rumour I've heard is that, now that the streak's done, Sting may take a HoF place and battle Rock at WM31 which....would actually be pretty fucking cool....

If nothing else, if he has signed a contract, I'm hoping we'll at least see a career retrospective DVD.

• 11 months later...

*Jake used "thread resurrection", it's super effective*

So, Wrestlemania was awesome. Honestly the most solid card the event has had in years, not a bad match all night.

Cena/Rusev was great, even if I'd have preferred for Rusev to retain.

Undertaker/Wyatt was a little shorter than I'd expected but was of a quality that last years effort should have been, a solid match all round and undertaker looked to be in great shape (now we wait for sting/taker at WM32)

Brock/Reigns was a fantastic finish to the night and even though I'm not a huge fan of either man, I was on board from the start. Rollins' cash in was a great twist to end the evening on too.

And then...there was Sting. I swear, I've not been more pumped for a match in years and boy did it deliver. Sting was in great shape, wasn't wearing a t-shirt and gave an epic performance from start to finish. The inclusion of DX and the NWO was the icing on the cake and turned the whole thing into a total wet-dream for any attitude era/monday night wars fans.

My only major complaint for the entire evening....

hhh-2.jpg

...Triple H's entrance....coming to the stage surrounde by T-800's, with a VT of Arnold Schwarzenegger set to the T2 soundtrack...

Turning what is arguably the most anticipated, exciting and important match in a decade into an advertisement for Terminator Genesys felt incredibly awkward and disrespectful to Sting who was making his WWE debut after all these years....

That aside though, an awesome night from start to finish.

• 1 month later...

Anyone here remember how terrible WWE NXT used to be? I sure do. Instead of wrestling, it was a bunch of game show crap. When the "season" transitioned to the women, the portrayal of NXT looked much, much worse. Michael Cole was the annoying heel commentator, but him calling the show "ridiculous" rang a ton of truth. When FCW was shut down and NXT was relocated to Full Sail University, NXT was no longer on cable, but online and only in front of about 400 people in a tiny, bingo-hall-like arena.

But the best part about it is how it's given the ability to thrive. With Triple H in command and only a couple of writers, the wrestlers get their ability to learn the business, grow, and deliver great matches. These people rotate, but they're extremely hungry to get into the business. They want to be promoted to the main show, but you get to see them the way Trips wants it.

Rather than having everything scripted, the wrestlers are given the option to use a scripted promo or impromptu.

Rather than have the WWE be a couple of main eventers and everyone else, each division is treated with respect. The Tag Team, NXT World, and Women's Championships are very important prizes.

Rather than rush through feuds and reset every month, the creatives believe their audiences are intelligent enough to go through the ride and be patient enough to go through the stories. When there's that payoff, they'll have it, and it becomes so rewarding.

Rather than treat the "Divas" like glamor girls that'll result in plenty of people taking a bathroom break, the Women's Division are showing the fans that they can provide quality matches as good as, if not better than, the main roster's matches combined.

Rather than have two or three hours full of drawn-out promos and needless filler to pad the time, NXT shows are one hour long (the live specials two), and they cut that crap down or off.

Rather than have half the audience of 20,000 napping through the event, NXT's smaller crowd is more intimate and will ride along if they're impressed.

Quite often, NXT has proven that even rated PG, you can provide quality wrestling. Instead of "complex" stories that either go nowhere or become very stupid, the stories intertwine, but are simpler and more focused. Often, the stories don't stop on the way to the ring or after the promo. The stories occur during the match as they wrestle. One of the best examples so far is when Sami Zayn (who Neville called out for being "too nice" as the reason he never won the NXT Title) grabbed the belt and fought really hard not to use it to cheat, only to chuck it away and finally win the championship later on.

But what's really shone in this division is the women. One of the biggest problems with the main roster is how crappy the women's wrestling and stories are. They just go out there, wrestle two minutes, and that's it. These matches are afterthoughts, and the writers don't know what to do with them. The lazy promotion from backstage advertises them for their looks. Consequently, you see too many crappy performances from all the "Divas," not just the Bellas.

NXT doesn't advertise the "Divas" for their looks. Instead, they're advertised as women who vie to kick ass and win the Women's Championship. The quality of women's matches in NXT are much better, and I don't simply mean Emma vs. Paige or Charlotte vs. Natalya. I'm also talking about the Fatal 4 Way at Rival: Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. The 4-Way only lasted about ten minutes, but the storytelling is phenomenal; they stole the show that night. Often, the women's matches are the best during the TakeOver events.

Last week's match between Banks and Lynch catapulted women's wrestling much further. Prior, the booking was magnificent, giving them space for a contract signing, which you almost never see for a women's match. Finally, at TakeOver: Unstoppable, they were booked to have the Match of the Night.

Was it?

No.

So is it the Women's Match of the Year so far?

No.

So far, it's the Match of the Year. I'm not joking. It's the best WWE match I've seen this year.

If you haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ogeAg2WLY

• Thumbs Up 2

Dang I remember when NXT first starter and it was complete crap and with the story lines the had planned with the superstars went nowhere like the nexus and the what they hinted at the end of season 2 and people getting screwed(kavval, maxine). The only stars that actually benefitted from NXT were AJ, Naomi, Kaitlyn and Daniel Bryan(after getting screwed by the company so many times). I haven't watched WWE in a while but after reading this post I'm interested in watching NXT 

• Thumbs Up 1

am actually haven't following Raw and NXT this week, was anything great about it? also New day suck.

Here I thought the women of NXT couldn't top themselves with each Takeover special...

They all certainly risen above and beyond what the current state of 'Divas' can ever achieve.

I would put that on my MOTYC list; everything in that match was done to near perfection. It's not surprising that there is words going around to have the NXT Women's division headline the next Takeover special.

NXT is pretty much the best thin in the business right now. It's really saying something when the biggest company in the wrestling world is putting out a product that's sub par compared to its developmental show. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to see wrestlers move up to the main roster, it's almost a demotion.

Elimination Chamber was pretty meh.

Tag team elimation chamber match had some fun spots but wasn't that remarkable.

Diva's triple threat was unremarkable.

Owens vs Cena is a match of the year candidate.

Neville vs Bo Dallas was pretty bad.

Intercontinental Championship elimination chamber match was a train wreck

And Dean Ambrose Vs Seth Rollins was pretty good despite the finish.

• 1 month later...

ITT, we discuss pro wrestling. WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW, LU, CZW, PWG...if it's wrestling post it here! Currently, we are on the road to Summerslam. Thus far,  the build has been so so. I REALLY hope that Cena doesn't take the belt from Rollins. Seeing how they're literally ripping off ROH with this angle however, I'm really not gonna be surprised if this happens (expect a long, profanity filled rant that will probably get me banned from this site if it does).

I think there already is a wrestling topic.

Also I only watch Old School. ANDRE THE GIANT FTW!!!!!!!!

You have to watch some AWA wrestling. Also, I'm really into NJPW and AJPW. Mitsuharu Misawa was incredible.

You have to watch some AWA wrestling. Also, I'm really into NJPW and AJPW. Mitsuharu Misawa was incredible.

What do you think is the most memorable match in wrestling????

What do you think is the most memorable match in wrestling????

why you gotta make this so difficult? I guess either Steamboat vs Savage, or Hogan vs Andre, both from WM3. Savage vs Steamboat changed this industry forever. Hogan bodyslamming Andre is an image that will forever be etched in pro wrestling history.

• Thumbs Up 1

why you gotta make this so difficult? I guess either Steamboat vs Savage, or Hogan vs Andre, both from WM3. Savage vs Steamboat changed this industry forever. Hogan bodyslamming Andre is an image that will forever be etched in pro wrestling history.

Exactly what I was thinking Andre VS Hogan at WM3. Also I can't believe Roddy Piper is dead -_--_-

Exactly what I was thinking Andre VS Hogan at WM3. Also I can't believe Roddy Piper is dead -_--_-

Terrible year for wrestling. Dusty's dead, Piper's dead, Hulk's racist, and Superfly Snuka has stomach cancer.

Terrible year for wrestling. Dusty's dead, Piper's dead, Hulk's racist, and Superfly Snuka has stomach cancer.

WHAAAAAAAT!?!?!?! Snuka has stomach cancer???? I didn't know that. Do you go to the wrestling conventions???? I go to Legends Of The Ring. They have it twice a year.

WHAAAAAAAT!?!?!?! Snuka has stomach cancer???? I didn't know that. Do you go to the wrestling conventions???? I go to Legends Of The Ring. They have it twice a year.

I wish I could, but they don't have any nearby. I do go to ROH shows tho.

http://www.legendsofthering.com/JUNE-GUEST-LIST.html It's about an hour and a half away from me. Who are your favorite managers???? Mine are Bobby Heenan and Captain Lou Albano. It's a shame I didn't get to meet him before he died. My father did though and got his autograph too. I met Bobby Heenan. He is in bad shape. I think he has throat cancer I'm not sure though. Also who is your favorite wrestler????