Awoo.

Sonic Colors - Dr. Eggman's PA Announcements

Uncle Kenny

"The mighty ocean! Cradle of light! Trivialized for your amusement at Eggman’s Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park."

I'm pretty sure it's life and not light, but I love this quote so much, I don't know why it amuses me so much. It plays at the beautiful 3D waterfall section in Act 6 and doesn't detract from it AT ALL.

You're instinct is right, it's life.

"The mighty ocean! Cradle of light! Trivialized for your amusement at Eggman’s Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park."

I'm pretty sure it's life and not light, but I love this quote so much, I don't know why it amuses me so much. It plays at the beautiful 3D waterfall section in Act 6 and doesn't detract from it AT ALL.

Fixed right away! Thanks!

Edited by Uncle Kenny

Sonic Colours is the best portrayal of Eggman in my eyes, the PA announcements play a big part in that, comedic sociopathy abound,some of the funniest if not the funniest material in Sonic games.

Edited by Mysterics

I LOVE These announcements, makes the levels really fun, it would be good if different ones for different paths, increasing replay value to hear all of them :)

I love how sinisterly funny they are too!

I adore the announcements, and have lost a lot of time in some of the levels because I was too busy listening to them to keep playing.  One small note, though:

The unfiltered starlight from the lovely constellations above is full of deadly radiation. Help yourselves to our complementary STF-3000 Starblock. And by complementary, I mean quite expensive.

The word here is 'complimentary', which is commonly used in the tourist-type industries to mean 'free'.  Otherwise, you lose the gag of the 'free' item being 'quite expensive'.  Excellent work collecting all these!

(My brother learned when he was three that asking a waitress, 'Do you give complimentary refills?' would often get him a free drink even if the restaurant didn't normally give them. He pronounced it so very carefully.)

Favorite shall always remain, "Please refrain from breaking the glass, because it is the only thing between YOU, and ten million gallons of freezing wet death."

GLaDOS feel indeed, makes it all rather humorous.

Also the PA announcements are an excellent way to see into Eggman's character, adding a hidden depth to the story. You find out he's back to his ecology-destroying roots, wiping out endangered species of plants and animals in his pursuit of profit. It's a clever way to add some more personality and story without it clogging the actual gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 4

I love these. They really give off a sense that the amusement park makes the (rail-less) Death Star pass a safety test with flying colours and Eggman doesn't care.

I love these. They really give off a sense that the amusement park makes the (rail-less) Death Star pass a safety test with flying colours and Eggman doesn't care.

Well with the explosion of his own evil space station he has to one-up the Empire somehow! Why stop at one celestial-sized master plot? Might as well have six!

Now I know this doesn't really work since the park wasn't officially opened and no one else was actually there, but I like the idea that the reason why Robotnik is not being subtle at all about his evildoings is because that's the park's theme. So when he rants about harming aliens and mind control cannons, the naive folk would just assume he's just being your typical theme park pantomime villain, not realising that it's nowhere close to being merely a facade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I know this doesn't really work since the park wasn't officially opened and no one else was actually there, but I like the idea that the reason why Robotnik is not being subtle at all about his evildoings is because that's the park's theme. So when he rants about harming aliens and mind control cannons, the naive folk would just assume he's just being your typical theme park pantomime villain, not realising that it's nowhere close to being merely a facade.

Given that the average game human confuses Shadow and Silver for Sonic, the highways are designed so cars have to do loops and run alongside buildings to get anywhere, talk about continents being separated when there's in all likelihood widespread airplane technology, and Eggman himself has yet to realise he could be infinitely more successful in business and politics, I think it's safe to say that yes, most people probably wouldn't be able to tell he's being serious.

I adore the announcements, and have lost a lot of time in some of the levels because I was too busy listening to them to keep playing.  One small note, though:

The unfiltered starlight from the lovely constellations above is full of deadly radiation. Help yourselves to our complementary STF-3000 Starblock. And by complementary, I mean quite expensive.

The word here is 'complimentary', which is commonly used in the tourist-type industries to mean 'free'.  Otherwise, you lose the gag of the 'free' item being 'quite expensive'.  Excellent work collecting all these!

(My brother learned when he was three that asking a waitress, 'Do you give complimentary refills?' would often get him a free drink even if the restaurant didn't normally give them. He pronounced it so very carefully.)

Fixed, thanks a lot! English is not my native language, so I really didn't know there was a difference between complimentary and complementary.

Robotnik's habit of double bluffs ties into my theory on why Captain Whisker looks the way he does. Sonic and Co. would be thinking "Nah, it can't be Eggman. It's way too obvious. Someone must be framing him." And then Robotnik (and Nega, but fuck him) is all like "Hohoho, it actually was me all along!", to which everyone else is all like "Well fuck, I feel stupid."

• Thumbs Up 1

Fixed, thanks a lot! English is not my native language, so I really didn't know there was a difference between complimentary and complementary.

Actually, you were right, Uncle Kenny. It's complementary with an e.

Complimentary and complementary are separate words. Complimentary pertains to a compliment, or nice remark. Complementary pertains to a complement, something that goes well with something else. "I complimented him on his homework" versus "Calculators complement math homework."

These two homonyms can be pretty nasty, but you were correct in using the word with the e.

As the son of an English major, I learned all the various grammar and spelling conventions the hard way. XD

Thank you for compiling this list, regardless.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Complementary and complimentary seem to be closely etymologically related, both meaning to help make the good aspects of something stand out.

Edited by Mysterics

Well thank you all for your help with whether it should be complementary or complimentary. Translating the words to MY language, complimentary seem to be the most fitting word in this sentence.

So yeah, I'll just stick with complimentary if that's okay with everybody.

So yeah, I'll just stick with complimentary if that's okay with everybody.

Very nice Sonic quote there, very nice indeed. tongue.png Fits the thread's basis perfectly!

Alas, I apologise either way. My mother's fascism has rubbed off on me. :(

More on topic. Here's hoping they find some way to incorporate background remarks in the next one. We can clearly determine the PA announcements were one of the best parts of Colors' writing, so it'd be a shame if we never saw anything of the sort again.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

• 1 month later...

As great as most of the PA announcements are, they unfortunately get drowned out by the stages BGM and SFX making them barely audible. Something they need to fix if they do this again.

As great as most of the PA announcements are, they unfortunately get drowned out by the stages BGM and SFX making them barely audible. Something they need to fix if they do this again.

Yes I agree that was quite annoying. Why even have announcements if no one hears them? They could've at least subtitled them, but nooo! They're trolling with us :P

Oh well, they're still really funny. I hope the new upcoming game will have something similar!

They need to do this in the next game, at least in Eggman's fortress, he could be taunting Sonic over the PA, might not work in other levels but would be awesome in that sort of level, slightly like Crazy Gadget, but more frequent and more of that colours dark humour

These PA announcements were inarguably the best thing about Colors. Also it's rather a damn shame these weren't in Generations's Planet Wisp.

• 7 months later...