Awoo.

Sonic Dash or Sonic Jump?

BlueMist

Also sonic dash is a game that constantly lags.

This is not a fair criticism of the game itself, only some of its versions. Mine for the most recent iPad works just fine.

What IS a target of criticism is how HardLight did a very poor job preparing it for all the systems it's supposed to be on. I can optimise Generations for my low quality PC graphics card and it'll run more or less smoothly. No such option exists for Dash it sounds like, which means anyone without the most recent iPad or iPhone is just totally screwed over by it.

Okay so, looks like Sonic Dash had been confirmed for Android.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03/segas-website-confirms-sonic-dash-for-android/

But looks like it's not on the list anymore, has it been canceled or postpones? Who knows!

http://www.sega.com/games/?searchPlatform=&searchGenre=&searchGame=sonic+dash

Anyway, seems like Sonic Dash has graphics and gameplay similar to Sonic Unleashed, I don't know how can Sonic Jump be better than this?!

http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/?locale=en_US

Has anyone made a Sonic Dash High Score topic yet? Seems like it'd be a good idea. 

(Maybe a Sonic Jump one too)

There is one for Sonic Jump, but it doesn't seem active anymore:

Edited by Mysterious X

Okay, thanks. 

I just posted my score in the High Scores topic.

But back on topic, I was never really too fond of Sonic Jump. I loved the whole idea of the game, but sometimes the bosses were just too hard. Not complaining or anything, I just I just lack skill or something. 

But Sonic Dash, I can play for hours and hours, and I can stand the music for more than 10 minutes. Does that make me a boss? Haha. 

It may make you a boss already. x)

Well I can give you a tip to clear boss acts, instead of being scared of Eggman's hovercraft, try ignoring it and focus on successfully landing on the platforms, do this for the first 3, or 4 boss acts, when it gets harder you can do the same, but watch where Eggman is facing, if he's facing to the right, this means after a while he'll shoot everything that comes in his way, so what you should do is make him follow you to the far right of the screen, once the time for his attack comes, go to the left, or to the middle it won't matter.

Boss acts are not really scary, they are not based on a continuous scheme that goes on and on, by that I mean, Eggman has an A.I that he won't go at the same speed all the time, you can notice that when he hits you, he will slow down to keep with your level and usually doesn't go higher before the attack, take advantage of that and keep up with his speed, won't be long till you get the hang of it. x)

But Sonic Dash, I can play for hours and hours, and I can stand the music for more than 10 minutes. Does that make me a boss? Haha. 

Well, the 3D nature of it just makes it easier to get into for me. I can be very, very critical of 2D games. :(

Never mind, I'd get dizzy playing Sonic Jump due to having to waggle the screen left and right constantly. Dash is entirely based on swiping my finger... so it doesn't make me feel a little unwell. To someone who has a weak stomach, that's a definite plus; Jump's amusing and all, but to me it just doesn't compare to Dash in graphics ability or ease of use.

It may make you a boss already. x)

Well I can give you a tip to clear boss acts, instead of being scared of Eggman's hovercraft, try ignoring it and focus on successfully landing on the platforms, do this for the first 3, or 4 boss acts, when it gets harder you can do the same, but watch where Eggman is facing, if he's facing to the right, this means after a while he'll shoot everything that comes in his way, so what you should do is make him follow you to the far right of the screen, once the time for his attack comes, go to the left, or to the middle it won't matter.

Boss acts are not really scary, they are not based on a continuous scheme that goes on and on, by that I mean, Eggman has an A.I that he won't go at the same speed all the time, you can notice that when he hits you, he will slow down to keep with your level and usually doesn't go higher before the attack, take advantage of that and keep up with his speed, won't be long till you get the hang of it. x)

I try that, but Eggman keeps killing me.

Curse you Eggman! Curse yoooooooooooouuuuuuuu!

Like i stated before, dash is pretty addictive but I'm a bit disappointed, they had SO much potential to make a Sonic iOS based off of Unleashed day/Generations modern, albeit on rails but still, it's all there, homing attack, stop/slide/roll, boost, I think it's a shame, and with DLC and updates bringing more acts or levels (any hey they coulda shoves the endless running on as a side dish for replay/competitive value

Like i stated before, dash is pretty addictive but I'm a bit disappointed, they had SO much potential to make a Sonic iOS based off of Unleashed day/Generations modern, albeit on rails but still, it's all there, homing attack, stop/slide/roll, boost, I think it's a shame, and with DLC and updates bringing more acts or levels (any hey they coulda shoves the endless running on as a side dish for replay/competitive value

Well, really one just needs to remember this game was given enough effort to be marketable and addicting, but otherwise is just an attempt to empty fans' wallets. Microtransactions are a lucrative idea and somewhat akin to the golden rule of thievery: if you take 100 dollars from a person they will notice, but if you steal only one dollar from them each week they likely never will.

However, they surely understand that fans will eventually get bored of Seaside Hill and make something new. I wouldn't say they're putting in no effort, but this game was clearly designed to be a cash cow for Hardlight and Sega, not anything really remarkable.

It's also a fun cow though, and I'm milkin' it!

Oh I know, but I'd be MUCH more willing to part with hard earned cash on more of a full game than endless running, although it is addictive and fun.

Just sayin the potential WAS/IS there

I try that, but Eggman keeps killing me.

Curse you Eggman! Curse yoooooooooooouuuuuuuu!

Well that's his job! xD

I don't think they'll be able to make it based on Unleashed on Generations, like you said it's all there, the Homing Attack, Boost and all, but if they needed to make a game like Sonic Unleashed it will require a great processor like that of PS3, 4, Xbox 360 or 720, I believe no matter how iOS devices got evolved, they will still rather be smartphones and tablets, not gaming platforms.

Any news on what the new levels may be?

Well, looks like it's a 'canceled Vita game', this game is, you know what they say, full of surprises!:

Will all stages be Sonic Heroes inspired? Can we expect any unique stages created exclusively for Sonic Dash? 
We’d always lean towards using places from the Sonic Universe already in existence – there’s such a wide range of rich environments there already, it just makes sense.

Source: http://segabits.com/blog/2013/03/18/hardlight-studios-talks-to-us-about-sonic-dash-their-canceled-vita-game-and-much-more/

Also notice that this game will not be likely to get released for Android, not soon at least, because like they stated, Android devices have a much greater variety of screen resolutions, memory and graphics hardware, which makes it harder for game developing!

I'd have to say I prefer Sonic Dash. I just feel it is more of a challenge and I want to try harder to beat my friends scores whereas Sonic Jump felt boring and repetitive to me. 

yeah but dash is so laggy.

yeah but dash is so laggy.

Depends on what version you have. On the latest iPhone or iPad it runs just fine.

As for the others... yeahhhh Hardlight dropped the ball on that one. Very poor optimisation, definitely, but it's unfair to hold the downfall of a few versions against the game entirely. Were it laggy on every medium, most definitely a valid critique, but in this case it's just that some versions are inferior to others.

Basically it should be judged the way multiplatform games are: each is given its own overall rating different from the others, acknowledging the inherent hardware differences.

I played sonic jump on IOS and somewhat enjoyed it but soon got a little boring, but seeing sonic dash and how it's a little bit similar to temple run, I would have to go with sonic dash

I played sonic jump on IOS and somewhat enjoyed it but soon got a little boring, but seeing sonic dash and how it's a little bit similar to temple run, I would have to go with sonic dash

It just strikes me as simpler to play as well. Jump's going to have your wrist constantly waggling back and forth, whereas Dash just requires simple finger swipes. It could use some work on the homing attack since the game seems to randomly decide whether it picked up your screentap, but overall I just find it easier to play.

Not only the game is supposed to decide your tap, also the device itself. A multi-touch device is much better for things like double tapping.

But if ask me, I never really found it tiring and wrist-waggling to play Sonic Jump, it really doesn't need much tilting to do the trick, I don't know, but I found that Sonic Jump is better and rather easier than many games that use the Accelerometer, even Doodle Jump was kinda annoying, would take a heck of time for me to get used to it.

Dash and Jump are both good games in their own right.

I prefer Dash overall though. It has a more addicting pick up and play style that Jump doesn't seem to have. I always find myself going back to Dash, but rarely to Jump. 

I prefer Dash overall though. It has a more addicting pick up and play style that Jump doesn't seem to have. I always find myself going back to Dash, but rarely to Jump. 

Yeah, I can't really get into Jump... never mind Dash just seems more of a challenge to me since the obstacles can become very difficult.

As another bonus, Dash is 3D. I'm not normally a graphics enthusiast but generally I will take 3D over 2D; most 2D games just feel too dated to me. (2.5D is fine though)

Keep in mind what device you're playing on. Lower/Mid End devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS) will struggle to play Dash. It'll also look pretty terrible. Jump works flawlessly on both machines.

Keep in mind what device you're playing on. Lower/Mid End devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS) will struggle to play Dash. It'll also look pretty terrible. Jump works flawlessly on both machines.

Understandable, given the higher end graphics of Dash.

Though I say it again that while I like Dash better, I still think Hardlight could have done a better job optimising the game for lower-end devices. For a game so focused on generating money, they're cutting out a large market by not factoring in that not everyone has the money to have the most recent iPhone or iPad.