Awoo.

2D Disney Shorts making their way back in June

krazystitch

Wow, Mickey is finally back to being a cartoon :)

The short was great, love the style they choose as its modern but has that classic feel.  The humor in it wasn't that prevalent, but the nice little touches (everyone looking like there classic self's, mickey being mistavous in response to the action around him, the Cinderella cameo, the animated vehicles, ect) made the cartoon seem so much more alive than anything Mickey has been in the past few years.  I hope the quality only goes up from here, as we might finally see the mouse be a animated icon once again :)

Well, if there's one thing I learned from that short it's that you should be ashamed of your body and make a conscious effort to conceal it from the whole world.

All jokes aside, a very cute short!  I can't get over how much I love, love, love the art style and the voice acting!  The dialogue is pure genius as well!  I'm glad to see more of these and hope to see many more to come!

Personally, I like to spray them buns down instead of using olive oil, though.

Edited by Akito

Yeah, because a dated Saturday Night Live vanity project with absolutely no confidence what-so-ever to the source material is sooo much better than the actual thing, right? It's basically just "SNL: The Animated Series". wink.png

What on earth are you talking about? I don't know anything about SNL and its relation to The Looney Tunes Show, I just enjoyed the few episodes that I saw. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh hey, a new one called No Service just showed up.

In it, Mickey must face the problem of ... uh ... being naked.

Pretty funny short, I especially liked Goofy's hypocritcal joke at the end.

"Not available outside the United States"

:(

I saw the new short and the short linked in the OP. I thought they were both great. The animation is great and the humor and gags are spot-on.

Oh hey, another one.

In this episode, Mickey must chase and catch a weenie.

Glad the weenie didn't get away with everything, Mickey riding a lion was pretty cool.

Edited by Bug

Man, I wish this was an actual full length series other than just shorts, would give me something to actually watch on Disney Channel aside from Gravity Falls.

Oh hey, a new one called No Service just showed up.

In it, Mickey must face the problem of ... uh ... being naked.

Pretty funny short, I especially liked Goofy's hypocritcal joke at the end.

For those who can't watch No Service outside the US: http://cdn.videos.dolimg.com/channel_shortform/unknown/i29083/869089-tpr_hi29083_gdj-h264m_aac_848x480_904x96.mp4

Takes some few minutes to load but it works!

There is also another new short, Yodelberg (US-exclusive video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmTor-zQXxw&feature=player_embedded

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh hey, another one.

Glad the weenie didn't get away with everything, Mickey riding a lion was pretty cool.

Man, these cartoons are getting better and better :)

I love how Mickey has a personality again; he gets more and more angry as the short goes on, and goes through hell to get the hot dog back.  I really love Mickey back to making cartoons again biggrin.png

These shorts are really great. They have their own identity separate from the classic cartoons without trying to directly emulate them and risk failing in doing so. I love how they fully take advantage of cartoon physics without any regard for realistically explaining the shenanigans that are occurring, instead just going with whatever's funny. And if a joke doesn't work, then the pacing is so fast that there's another one within two seconds, meaning there are always several moments in these shorts that make me chuckle.

Now I just hope this means we'll get some Donald and Goofy shorts sometime along the way. Donald's "frustrated everyman" persona would work perfectly in these sorts of cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 3

Any chance of getting a video of that one for people outside the US too?

Why are we being super-denied these shorts anyway?

For those who can't watch No Service outside the US: http://cdn.videos.dolimg.com/channel_shortform/unknown/i29083/869089-tpr_hi29083_gdj-h264m_aac_848x480_904x96.mp4

Takes some few minutes to load but it works!

There is also another new short, Yodelberg (US-exclusive video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmTor-zQXxw&feature=player_embedded

I think my favorite bits were the bag of corn chips feeling ashamed and the sped up live-action stock footage of an avalanche near the end.

Oh hey, another one.

"Looks like weenie's all in..."

If_you_know_what_I_mean_.png

Seriously, though, these shorts just keep getting better and better! <3 Absolutely love every single one of them!

Edited by Akito

I just love how Micky's appearance gets more frightening the angrier he gets. It's a nice touch. And that bit with him riding a lion was great.

My favorite part was when Micky was peering over the fence that held the lion at the zoo. That face he made was both hilarious and creepy.

• Thumbs Up 1

These shorts are awesome. Special mention has to go to the wonderfully detailed background art, which looks like it was taken straight out of Mary Blair's book. Half the time I'm looking at the paintings instead because they're so gorgeous, and frankly it's about time her work was paid proper tribute in actual Disney animation anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

These shorts are fantastic.  It's great to see the classic characters being used in something worthwhile again.  And while they could have just made them cheap imitations of the classic shorts, these have their own zany style, and they're legitimately funny.  The humor is modern and quick, but still keeps things simple with visual jokes rather than throw in excessive dialogue or cultural references.  Keep 'em coming, these are awesome.

Also, there are portions of these shorts that get crazy to a point that I'm actually kinda reminded of Ren & Stimpy.  Can't say I expected that from Mickey and the gang.

These shorts are fantastic! The animation, the comedy...everything! Just a shame that the other two aren't available outside the US. ;~;

Also, there are portions of these shorts that get crazy to a point that I'm actually kinda reminded of Ren & Stimpy.  Can't say I expected that from Mickey and the gang.

Funnily enough, I've heard people say they hate these shorts for that very reason both in style of animation and the humor being too crude for a Mickey Mouse cartoon. It's not common, but I've seen it here and there on Youtube.

Honestly, The more manic animation really fits the overall tone of the series and is very fun... Not to mention the wacky style feels like a throwback to the wacky golden ages of cartoons. And the humor being too crude is kind of silly. If you look back at the Black and White Mickey cartoons, you can see the humor was pretty crude for the time (There are surprisingly a lot of butt jokes in those shorts.)

Besides, if the humor is crude, then it's a lot better than all the comedies on Nickelodeon.

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anyone who complains about it being crude clearly hasn't seen the old Mickey Mouse shorts that these are a call back to. People tend to forget that cartoons, even Mickey ones, were actually aimed at adults at the time; so sometimes you'd get some really crude stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, the crude nature of the shorts is a legitimate complaint, since I'm sure a lot of people grew up with the more child-friendly version of Mickey Mouse.  Plus, just because something closely captures the spirit of its original source doesn't automatically entail that it's better or that it should coincide with every viewer's tastes.

That being said, I don't find the crudeness to be a problem.  I mean, there is a sprinkle of it here and there, but never enough that it stops being cute and family-friendly.

Edited by Akito

Anyone who complains about it being crude clearly hasn't seen the old Mickey Mouse shorts that these are a call back to. People tend to forget that cartoons, even Mickey ones, were actually aimed at adults at the time; so sometimes you'd get some really crude stuff.

People also forget Goofy used to be a chain smoker named George Geef, it just happens as you get different generations of cartoons.

Huh, now this is interesting. Mickey's voice sounded different, but I was assuming it was Iwan just trying to emulate Walt. Not so, Mickey actually has a different voice actor for these shorts, Canadian Comedian Chris Diamantopoulous.

He confirms it via his Twitter.

I wonder why that is? I know Disney's voices don't have contracts, but Bill Farmer's still Goofy, and I THINK Tony Anselmo is still Donald, so why would Mickey be different? They pretty much decided they wanted one voice per character about 25 years ago.

But I actually noticed his voice sounded off when he laughed in No Service. That little "haha" Chris did is the same laugh everybody gives him when doing an impression, but his main actors always turn that laugh into a squeak (he is a mouse after all).

Every other character has the same voice they always did, yes. Taylor for Minnie, Anselmo for Donald, Farmer for Goofy, and MacNeille for Daisy. I do wonder why Iwan is the only one that's missing.