Awoo.

Shovel Knight [PC/3DS/Wii U]

Meow

Kickstarter

So who else is excited for this game? I sure am. Yacht Club Games is made up of a bunch of ex-Wayforward people who left to make their own studio. I really dig the look of this game (and that music, virt is doing the soundtrack ;o;). I know a lot of people are fed up of the old-school 8bit/16bit look but I don't think I will ever grow tired of it. The game looks like it incorporates a lot of fun ideas while staying fairly traditional at the same time and has moments that make me think of Megaman actually.

Super pumped though - I can't wait to play it.

Edited by Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 8

Wow, I came here expecting nothing but that actually looks really cool. Hope they complete it, I'd pay for it.

This actually looks awesome, shame it's just gonna be for pc, I think this'd do really well on the psn. $200 or more gets your likeness in the game, gotta love that :)

That's some pro shoveling action. I'm a sucker for the oldschool style, and it looks like they've got some pretty clever gimmicks.

Well that looks pretty brilliant. I'm only sick of 8/16bit games when they're cheaply and lazily done in such a way that everything is only pseudo-retro, and just uses it as a hook. Shovel Knight looks to be bang on the money though.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

They weren't kidding when they said groundbreaking.

BA-DUM-TSSSSSSSSSH

The shovel is a really cool gimmick. And perhaps the best part of it is that it's not some fancy la-dee-da magic power. Just a... shovel. lol

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I think what attracts me the most about this title is it seems to be fairly straightforward in its simplicity - but that the levels seem to make good use of the mechanics in different ways. I really miss when games were built around a single mechanic that was the basis of the game and resulted in clever level design and enemy placement. A lot of games now I find tend to give you a ton of options in what you want to use to progress (multiple weapons and skills etc) but the levels are fairly basic to accommodate this. I wouldn't be surprised if this game gave you some tools along the way but it seems to me that they are placing the most importance on the shovel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm definitely looking forward to this titles. I looks like a mix between Mega Man and Duck Tales, and there's nothing like a little dose of retro to make a man fell good! And that song, Jeeeez, man. I want that song on my MP3 already!

Also!

Shovel Knight confirmed for Wii U, 3DS and Steam!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33589

1.png

Hmm... purchase the 3DS version and have it on the go with 3D or get the Wii U version and play it on my 42-inch TV... Hmmm...

Because, you know... For a game about a knight welding a shovel,,,

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

This game certainly doesn't look like shovel.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haha I was juuuust coming here to post this! Seeing as I do not have a Wii U (and no plans to get one) I'd definitely pick the 3DS copy. The problem is I can't kickstart it anyway - it'd be real nice if kickstarter allowed paypal ugh.

Anyway I'll probably pick it up on the PC -and- 3DS now.

WELL HUH, THIS AIN'T NO SHOVELWARE THAT'S FOR SURE.

This game looks awesome as fuck. Definitely getting it for the 3DS unless it turns out there's some super awesome multiplayer experience then I might have to jump to Steam for it. Digging the gameplay and definitely the music, I just hope I can replay it a lot or there's a lot to do or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, this looks awesome. It's like a cross between Mega Man, Duck Tales and Zelda 2 and it's being worked on by former Wayforward employees? I'll definitely be checking this out when it comes to Steam. 

WELL HUH, THIS AIN'T NO SHOVELWARE THAT'S FOR SURE.

1339193914220.gif

• Thumbs Up 9

I've heard people talking a lot about Shovel Knight recently and I never knew why... now I have watched that trailer and I have been enlightened!

Seriously, this game looks amazing. The retro graphics, that funky ass tune, the fact that you defeat enemies and throw their projectiles back at them with a freakin' shovel... so ridiculous a concept, yet one that is going to really hit home methinks. Plus, it's always good to have a brand new retro-styled game that isn't another Mega Man (though let's face it, the way Capcom's been treating him we won't see him again for a good while...)

The only question now that remains is - do I get it for Wii U or 3DS? Hmm.

FOR GREAT (SHOVEL) JUSTICE!

• 2 weeks later...

They've since met their funding target, but there's over a week left to bump them up to their stretch goals, which are pretty worthy.

I wish the kickstart gave away an edition of your choice and not the PC one.

Was tempted to kickstart it earlier today, but gotta wait on some money, plus I don't even know how far I want to go really. Thinking about up to the soundtrack benchmark, but I don't know. Wish I had the spare money to throw to go the bust of getting my face in the game just for the lols.

But yeah, every time something new for news comes out about this game I seem to love it more and more. I hope some rich bastard out there puts down a shit load of money, 'cause I want all those things they're promising, >:U

I wish the kickstart gave away an edition of your choice and not the PC one.

If you pay 10$, you get the PC one, but 15$ gets you your choice of Wii U, 3DS or just the PC one, due to some of the extra fees that come with developing those versions/the cost of purchasing the codes etc.

I don't own a Wii U yet, so I'm split between the PC or 3DS versions. PC means I can conserve my money some and play the local multiplayer battle mode that isn't on the 3DS, should that get funded. 3DS means I can play it on the go or while my PC is off/being used for other things, get the 3D effects and any assistance a bottom screen might add.

Manami Matsumae who worked on Mega Man 1, 2 and 10 will be doing 2 original pieces of music for the game. She's also the person who created the old sound effects for Mega Man 1, from Mega Man dying to the boss door opening and closing. You can read more here.

250px-Manami_Matsumae_-_04.jpg

"This is the first time I'm working on a Western game! It's quite exciting!" exclaims Matsumae. "Shovel Knight and I are a good fit. So... let's get shovelin'?"

This is pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 9

Matsumae is among my top favorite Mega Man musicians. Pretty excited to hear her contributions!

looks cool, and thats some pretty cool news, wish them the best of luck, cant wait to see what becomes of it

• 2 weeks later...

The game's now been funded and reached all of its stretch goals.  There'll still be some public input later in the form of a vote on which three of the boss knights will become alternative playable characters.