Awoo.

Shovel Knight [PC/3DS/Wii U]

Meow

Don't forget that you can still fund the project through Paypal until April 30th. You'll be able to see it on Yacht Club's website.

Edited by Cola

In regards to the physical release that this'll now be getting, is that just for PC or on other platforms too?

Maybe it's like the manual, as in they just send one to you, so it wouldn't be tied to a specific platform.

It seems as if the box is literally just a box that'll be sent to backers of a certain reward tier level.  It's not a physical retail release, it's a cute bonus, like the envelope of dirt.

Yeah I was happy to see it funded :D! I backed it via paypal a few days before it ended :)

Good for them too, I really want this game.

• 5 months later...

New Trailer!

A new HUD and more levels!

Glad to see things moving along well with this game! Been wanting to see an update for some time.

Edited by The Pink YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

In addition, those who backed the game have been receiving their surveys to choose the three playable boss knights (out of the main eight knights + the Black Knight + the Enchantress) (and here are the proposals for how they'd play).  Note that all bosses will be playable in battle mode, but the three picked by survey will get their own story mode!  Anyone else want to disclose who they voted for?  It was a tough decision, and I'm glad the survey gave the option to arrange them in order of most to least wanted rather than just asking you to pick a simple three.

• 3 months later...

We've hit Alpha ladies and gents!  And we have a release date of March 31st 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zddBfV3fpM

• Thumbs Up 2

Excellent; I'm really looking forward to this.  So, that'll be... just over a year since it was announced and the Kickstarter opened.  Not bad, especially considering the Kickstarter left them with so much more to add.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

So shovel knight is officially out! Here's the launch trailer

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just finished Shovel Knight and it was definitely worth the investment. It's a legitimate retro-style platformer with great controls, trying challenges and a memorable score. But it really felt like a platformer for the modern age as well, taking a solid amount of influence from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It has a surprising amount of character and detail with a relatively fleshed out story and some very clever enemy designs. I think the most important thing a platformer needs is solid movement controls; it not only has to feel fluid and intuitive, but fun to simply move around in. This game takes advantage of some really simple yet incredibly rewarding actions such as bouncing on enemies and slicing through dirt. Each level finds myriads of new ways to build off of a few fundamental actions like creating ways to chain bounces or quickly punching dirt blocks to move over pits. As for the boss fights, this is probably one of the best collections of bosses I've seen. They have interesting attack patterns that play on their individual personalities and create interesting tactical scenarios, such as Propeller Knight shooting you in the air and pointing his lance upward as you fall toward it and King Knight shooting razor-sharp confetti. They get kind of easy once you start getting a lot of health but they're loads of fun nonetheless. There's so much more I want to mention but I think it's best if you find them out yourself. A full playthrough took me about 4 hours but even then there's plenty of replay value between new game plus and all the other stretch goals they got (seriously, they were practically flaunting their budget.)

• Thumbs Up 1

From the Mighty No. 9 Backers Email this morning:

Greetings to all backers of Mighty No. 9, from Yacht Club Games! For more than a year after our own successful Kickstarter, we’ve been hard at work on our game Shovel Knight, and now it’s finally available! If you haven’t heard of it, Shovel Knight is a love letter to the NES games of our youth, infused with everything we’ve learned about game design since then (not to mention guest compositions by Mighty No. 9’s own Manami Matsumae!). We love everything about the Mighty No. 9 project, so we’re going to do something special. Exclusively for Mighty Beckers, we now reveal a secret code for Shovel Knight! Just enter this at the name entry screen to activate it: 
J&!JSMP
As lifelong fans of Mega Man and the brilliant minds behind it, we attempted to bring some of that magic to Shovel Knight. Please enjoy it on PC, Wii U, or 3DS; maybe it will temporarily relieve the dull pain of having to wait for Mighty No. 9!
-Yacht Club Games

Say I've been considering it, but it'll be a bit before I get it, but I was wondering, wii-u or 3DS version

Wonder what the code does, I saw that on the mighty homepage this morning, I'm considering getting it, although wish the cross buy feature was being used, if love to have it on my Wii u and my 3DS

The code gives you an unplayabley-high jump. That's all I noticed re-doing the first level. 

Anyway, if there are people who are still on the fence about this game, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that it's fantastic. I feel like there are a couple of beginners traps here and there, but it's really solidly designed, and the charm of the characters and aesthetic is a lot more than 'lol 8-bit.' It's a great experience and it's a lot of fun to play. I wanna see what else Yacht Club games will do in the future. 

This game is the difference between simply making a lighthearted homage or parody of an NES game, and actually making an NES game. You can tell that so much love went into this title, and it genuinely feels like it could've fared incredibly well with the 80s greats on its own merits back in the day, with or without its appeal to our nostalgia. Shovel Knight is fantastic, and I'm only four bosses into the game so far.

Yacht Club Games, you've won me over with your first and only title. Here's to more hits from you in the future.

How much is this on the UK eShop? everywhere I look on the internet has the american prices

Ahh I thought it was, I saw everyone shouting about release dates and stuff. Really should have made some time to actually check the eShop.

is there not even a guess as to the price?

Well I feel stupid now :3

It's got no TBC/TBA dates ANYWHERE so it really annoys me that I've got to wait for this game before I can even own it on anything but Steam.

• 8 months later...

Hello people of the past, blah blah blah this joke has been done 50 times already, blah blah blah not really funny anymore, blah blah blah WHATEVER.

Highlights from the time lost:

• The game was released in Europe and Australia!
  • Sony and Microsoft's systems are getting the game!
  • The Sony versions have an exclusive fight against Kratos!
  • The Xbox One version has an exclusive fight against the Battletoads!
  • The first major expansion, Plague of Shadows, was announced!

NOW, the real reason I dug up this topic.  PAX East happened during the down time, and a demo for Plague of Shadows was there.  I tried to get my eyes on whatever footage I could.

This interview with one of the developers is the best video I've come across.

There are other videos floating around, but this one is definitely a must watch(or listen) in my opinion, if you're interested in the expansion and/or Shovel Knight in general.  I was thinking about doing highlights of what they say, but it's usually just flat out better to encourage people to watch or listen to the video instead.

Also, there's this.

• 1 month later...

God I love this game SO much! Got pretty frustrated in the last few stages but it's just a wonderful tribute to NES games. Can't wait for the DLC. X3

I kinda assumed they'd wait for all the DLC to be out in order to have something that was worth releasing physically.  I suppose that, by September, Plague Of Shadows at least will be out, and that'll be a pretty hefty increase to the amount of game content, and with the promise of two further free updates of equal size (plus various other additions), I guess it all adds up.  I'd have wanted a complete package, personally, but they probably want to launch it while the game is still fairly relevant.  Spectre Knight and King Knight could take a while yet, not to mention genderswap and Battle Mode.