Awoo.

My Reaction to The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Masterofnone169

Ok then.

So about a month ago I posted a topic on this forum asking which Wii Zelda game people would recommend to get into the franchise.  A lot of suggested Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, but the one that most people suggested was Ocarina of Time.  Now I have been well aware of Ocarina of Time for a long time.  After all the "best game ever" would always be heard around the internet.  So I bought some Wii points (slightly annoyed on the fact that they only come on £15 and £25, not to mention give you 100 points less then what you need for a SNES game), bought the game and played it.  

I didn't get round to completing it because of these particular reasons 

Aged and Overrated.

Now it is a good game but playing the game expecting it to be the best experience I have ever played in my life really lead to me disliking the game.  The biggest thing I have against it is the whole having to find out where to go issue.  I know that games these days hold you hand when it comes to playing and that this game has you trying to make you figure it out for yourself.  But it those it too much.  WAY TOO MUCH.  For example.  You are trying to get to the fire temple but in order to do so you have to... do what exactly?  Well I looked it up and apparently you have to bomb that rolling Gorron so you progress through.

HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSE TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

Not to mention trying to throw the bomb at the Gorron is next to impossible because the bombs throw at different types.

Now I can fully understand why people would like this game.  In fact I think the only thing that is mostly not letting me enjoy is the combat system.  I will most likely try playing A Link To The Past with the over head gameplay because I might find it more fun.

What are your thoughts on Ocarina of Time.  Do you love it, hate it or thing it's okay.  Me personally.  I think it's ok.  If it wasn't classified as the best game ever I would probably have had more fun with it because I wouldn't have had to expect nothing but greatness.

Now I don't hate the franchise.  I love the franchise.  In concept.

Look, I love it some much I made a cake of the Hylian sheild

post-5257-0-37453800-1363458610_thumb.jp

• Thumbs Up 1

If you had a hard time finding out where to go in Ocarina of Time, then I don't recommend Link to the Past because that's 10X worse as far as finding where to go and difficulty. To this day I haven't beat Link to the Past.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm assuming you don't have a 3DS, otherwise the choice to get the original is a baffling one.

Admittedly it's quite hard for me to judge Ocarina of time, because once you're familiar with the game, the 'how was I supposed to know that' moments don't really happen. I do agree that a big problem of Ocarina of Time is a lack of direction. Unless you already know what you're supposed to do, some parts can leave you pretty clueless.

Usually if you try more or less everything (speak to every NPC, speak to Saria, speak to Navi), you'll usually be given a relatively decent clue of where to go or what to do, but I totally agree that some parts are just far to vague. Yes, it's annoying when a game holds your hand, but this game doesn't do it enough.

That's why I'd really suggest the 3DS version if you can get it. Yes, the core game is basically the same, but they do add a bunch of nice hint videos which are amazingly helpful if you're unfamiliar with the game and haven't yet developed that sense of knowing what to do in advance. Admittedly it wasn't until the 3DS version that I became massively fond of the game either; I certainly remember getting hopelessly stuck several times as a kid, particularly at the Goron-bombing bit you mentioned.

I'd argue that every Zelda game before Wind Waker suffers from 'where the hell do I go/ what the hell do I do' syndrome, really. Wind Waker was the first one that managed to nudge you in the right direction without holding your hand or having you jump through hoops.

Edited by -Mark-

If you had a hard time finding out where to go in Ocarina of Time, then I don't recommend Link to the Past because that's 10X worse as far as finding where to go and difficulty. To this day I haven't beat Link to the Past.

Yeah I've always been on the OoT side of the SNES vs N64 debate in regards to best Zelda.  I think ALttP is awfully confusing and the "puzzles" are downright vague as hell, even in dungeons.  I was stuck on one room filled with inconspicious blocks for like, weeks.  The blocks formed a shield so you could avoid the attack of a beamos, so I figured that was their only purpose.  Turned out there was one (just one) that could be moved in a certain direction just once which... inexplicably opened the door.  Didn't push it over a switch or anything, the act of pushing it was the solution.  Fuck that game.

I stopped caring. I too hear it called the best Zelda (Though lately I've been hearing Wind Waker being given that title, which I've yet to try).

I got past jabawabafishthing's belly and got tired of the game. I didn't pick the game up ever again, so I sold it.

Edited by Akihikohikoakikaki

Well for one that was the ONLY GORON AROUND, so im pretty sure it should've been easy enough to figure out that trying to talk with that particular Goron would've been the thing to do. And OF COURSE you use bombs, the whole fucking cave is littered with Bomb flowers, it was pretty  damn obvious.

No I'm sorry but I don't think this puzzle can be very justified.  The idea that you can stop Gorons rolling with bombs is something, prior to this moment, you can only find out through entirely optional experimentation.  The bombs avaliable are not as big a hint as they could be because they've been there ever since you were a child, and could easily be washed over since in all forms of media, people are unlikely to notice stuff that hasn't changed in a while.  The fact as well that stopping the Goron with a bomb is a pretty tricky thing to get the timing right on, may cause people to give up prematurely, as the goron seemingly safely passes through a bomb exploded too early or late.

I think something as simple as Navi chiming in with "That Goron is the only one here, is there anything you could use to stop him rolling?", as well as the bomb automatically detonating if the Goron collides with it, would have been enough to make this puzzle fair.

• Thumbs Up 7

Good, sir, I think you may find Twilight Princes more suited to your tastes. Think Ocarina but updated a fair bit. The smoother combat and more direct instructions would appeal to you more, I think.

Also, I like OOT too but we all know that Goron bombing bit was bull. Come on. They don't even let you attack NPCs with anything before then.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I've always been on the OoT side of the SNES vs N64 debate in regards to best Zelda.  I think ALttP is awfully confusing and the "puzzles" are downright vague as hell, even in dungeons.  I was stuck on one room filled with inconspicious blocks for like, weeks.  The blocks formed a shield so you could avoid the attack of a beamos, so I figured that was their only purpose.  Turned out there was one (just one) that could be moved in a certain direction just once which... inexplicably opened the door.  Didn't push it over a switch or anything, the act of pushing it was the solution.  Fuck that game.

Yeah, and I also don't like the hit detection in Link to the Past. It's really annoying to hit enemies with your sword because you have to get in a certain position. Links Awakening fixed this thankfully and it didn't continue.

Good, sir, I think you may find Twilight Princes more suited to your tastes. Think Ocarina but updated a fair bit. The smoother combat and more direct instructions would appeal to you more, I think.

Haha it's funny coz his original topic was TP vs SS but we all told him to get OoT instead.  =U

I agree TP is a great game that improves many of OoT's core stuff, I found it harder to recommend to OP at the time though due to only being able to play the Wii port of it, which I consider inferior to the GameCube version (aside from widescreen support, which frankly had NO reason to be excluded from the GCN version 8I).

I still think the best Zelda game for the Wii is Okami.

That's like the 12th time I heard that joke, lol

I still think the best Zelda game for the Wii is Okami.

I see what you did there.

And I am inclined to agree.

As for OoT, definitely get the 3DS version if you're a newcomer to the series. I can't stand the N64 original now as it hasn't aged particularly well, it's far too clunky at times - but OoT 3D, on the other hand, is a joy to play. Check it out if you can.

The Wind Waker is probably another good game to get started with. It may not be the most traditional of Zelda games with all of the sailing and the cel-shaded graphics, but it was my first venture into the Zelda universe and I've been hooked ever since. Maybe it'll do the same for you too, especially with a HD Wii U remake just a few months away.

It's hard for me to judge the game's puzzles because I've known them like the back of my hand for the last fifteen years. I have no idea if I figured out the majority of them by myself or if I used the internet for anything besides the Water Temple. From this more biased standpoint I don't think they're too hard, but I have no idea what to say for newcomers. I'd still recommend finishing it though, there's no shame in wanting to use a guide if you're being constantly frustrated/

And yes, I do agree that it's somewhat overrated. OoT is still and always will be a classic and it's sure as shit one of the big industry changers of the early 3D era, but the best game ever made? No. I could understand this statement 10 years ago, sure. But I feel that every 3D Zelda to come after it improved upon OoT and then some. Except Skyward Sword, OBVIOUSLY!!!! huehuehue

Soniman.  Let me tell you something.

If people wouldn't shut about it being the best game ever today I might have considered what you said but since people are still saying it today I had no chose but to go by what they say.

Thankfully I have bought Twilight Princess since that last post and I am hopefully going to get some free time to play some of it.  I have only just gotten up to the first wolf section so I progressed much.

I'll certainly try but don't get your hopes up.

I'd still recommend finishing it though, there's no shame in wanting to use a guide if you're being constantly frustrated/

It's hard for me to judge the game's puzzles because I've known them like the back of my hand for the last fifteen years. I have no idea if I figured out the majority of them by myself or if I used the internet for anything besides the Water Temple. From this more biased standpoint I don't think they're too hard, but I have no idea what to say for newcomers. I'd still recommend finishing it though, there's no shame in wanting to use a guide if you're being constantly frustrated

True. I admit, for every Zelda game I've played, (except Minish Cap), I used a guide my first time around. That how Zelda games work. They pull no punches and make you work your ass off to find every clue, every hint, every fucking piece of evidence to compelet the game.

If people wouldn't shut up about it being the best game ever today I might have considered what you said but since people are still saying it today I had no chose but to go by what they say.

Umm....

Soniman.  Let me tell you something.

If people wouldn't shut about it being the best game ever today I might have considered what you said but since people are still saying it today I had no chose but to go by what they say.

Thankfully I have bought Twilight Princess since that last post and I am hopefully going to get some free time to play some of it.  I have only just gotten up to the first wolf section so I progressed much.

That's the thing for me though, people say other people constantly talk about how it's the best game of all time, but I never actually SEE any of those people most of the time, and usually when I do they're usually ostracized for being fanboys. Hell if this topic is any indication, you're gonna find more people say how aged and/or overrated it is rather than how amazing it apparently is. And again, when people call something the best thing ever and you choose to believe that, you're always going to be disappointed once you actually experience it.

And yeah TP is totally better if you like worse pacing, dungeon design, lower difficulty, a pointlessly larger over world, and a story that has nothing to do with Link or Zelda.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

True. I admit, for every Zelda game I've played, (except Minish Cap), I used a guide my first time around. That how Zelda games work. They pull no punches and make you work your ass off to find every clue, every hint, every fucking piece of evidence to compelet the game.

Umm....

WHAT DO YOU MEAN UMM!?  IT'S TRUE!  I dare you to look up a review of OoT on youtube and find one that says it isn't the best ever.

And yeah TP is totally better if you like worse pacing, dungeon design, lower difficulty, a pointlessly larger over world, and a story that has nothing to do with Link or Zelda.

I have a funny feeling you don't like TP.

• Thumbs Up 1

WHAT DO YOU MEAN UMM!?  IT'S TRUE!  I dare you to look up a review of OoT on youtube and find one that says it isn't the best ever.

Okay...huh.png  I don't think it requires a youtube search. I've seen and heard multiple, (painfully multiple) times people saying this game is the "best thing ever".

Well I don't know if I'd take it that far, the last few games in particular have been so easy for me that they pretty much ship with built in FAQs. Then again I've been turned off from using strategy guides ever since the one I had for Wind Waker went and spoiled every little plot detail for me, so to each his own.

Do not listen to him Masterofnone. He (and about 80% of the other members here for some reason) are full of liiiiieeeeessss. tongue.png

Well I don't know if I'd take it that far, the last few games in particular have been so easy for me that they pretty much ship with built in FAQs. Then again I've been turned off from using strategy guides ever since the one I had for Wind Waker went and spoiled every little plot detail for me, so to each his own.

Of course not the latest games. I mean Link to the past, original, OoT and Goddamned Majora's Mask. I didn't have to use a guide for Twilight Princess until the near end.