Awoo.

My Reaction to The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Masterofnone169

Of course not the latest games. I mean Link to the past, original, OoT and Goddamned Majora's Mask. I didn't have to use a guide for Twilight Princess until the near end.

Oh those ones definitely. Trying to find all the masks and 50 Heart Containers in MM without a guide is just asking for trouble.

Crazy what a graphical upgrade can do for a game to be honest. Ocarina of Time 3D with it's richer contrast, models and superior framerate makes the original almost unplaybale. I used to be able to ignore those details in the past but that's gotten impossible. Majora's Mask runs so much better, and that's because of the expansion pack.

The only moment in OoT3D I can think of that did something inferior to the original is the final boss battle with Ganon, where surprisingly the technical limitations actually provided a far more intimidating and darker atmosphere because of obscuring all the details with dark and flashes of lightning.

• Thumbs Up 9

Ok then.

So about a month ago I posted a topic on this forum asking which Wii Zelda game people would recommend to get into the franchise.  A lot of suggested Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, but the one that most people suggested was Ocarina of Time.  Now I have been well aware of Ocarina of Time for a long time.  After all the "best game ever" would always be heard around the internet.

Actually, if I recall correctly, people were suggesting OoT not because it was the "best game ever", but because it would be a good entry point?

didn't get round to completing it because of these particular reasons 

Aged and Overrated.

Oh my god.

Look, the game is fifteen years old. Better games have come out. It's called the "best game ever", because when it came out, it was, or at least one of them. And I defy you to tell me there are plenty of games from 1998 or so (and even later) that haven't aged much worse. Metal Gear Solid, anyone? Perhaps Sonic Adventure? Rayman 2?

And another thing? I really hate the word "overrated" - or, at least, I've grown to hate it. It's basically a really arrogant way of saying "WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS THING THAT I DON'T LIKE THAT'S DUMB". Just...really. 

Now it is a good game but playing the game expecting it to be the best experience I have ever played in my life really lead to me disliking the game.

Why would you even

The biggest thing I have against it is the whole having to find out where to go issue.  I know that games these days hold you hand when it comes to playing and that this game has you trying to make you figure it out for yourself.  But it those it too much.  WAY TOO MUCH.  For example.  You are trying to get to the fire temple but in order to do so you have to... do what exactly?  Well I looked it up and apparently you have to bomb that rolling Gorron so you progress through.

HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSE TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

Soniman already pointed out how you were supposed to figure this out.

Not only that, but is it really such a problem for a game to require any sort of experimentation? Ocarina of Time, even by Zelda standards, is not that much of a "where do I go, what do I do" game. You have Saria's Song to point you in the right direction, at the very least, and beyond that, most things aren't very hard to figure out. It's not Paper Mario: Sticker Star - you just have to try things out and use your brain.

Not to mention trying to throw the bomb at the Gorron is next to impossible because the bombs throw at different types.

What do you even mean by this?

Now I can fully understand why people would like this game.  In fact I think the only thing that is mostly not letting me enjoy is the combat system.  

What's wrong with the combat system?

I will most likely try playing A Link To The Past with the over head gameplay because I might find it more fun.

Yeah, uh, if not for the original LoZ, that would pretty much be "WHERE DO I GO, WHAT DO I DO", the game. You're basically lost without a guide in that one.

Anyway, I'd call Ocarina of Time an "ageless masterpiece", but I know that's blatantly fanboyish hyperbole, so I'm just going to say it's one of my favorites, and yes, I am one of those who would say it's one of the "best games ever". I still fail to see how it's genuinely aged poorly aside from perhaps a few small things, but maybe that's just the nostalgia clouding my brain. Regardless, it's most certainly one of the best games ever if only for the impact it had.

Good, sir, I think you may find Twilight Princes more suited to your tastes. Think Ocarina but updated a fair bit. The smoother combat and more direct instructions would appeal to you more, I think. 

No.

Comparing Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time is like comparing the New Super Mario Bros. games to the classic Mario games. Twilight Princess has its strengths - namely, absolutely fantastic dungeon designs, strong exploration, and Midna - but it also has horrible pacing, a mostly lame and rehashed story, a tedious overworld and God knows how many fetch quests. It's a good game, but only just. Lord knows it would only sour the guy's opinion of the Zelda series even more.

I'd recommend Skyward Sword, which is my fav Zelda, but hey, apparently that game is mediocre and "overrated", too, so... :I

eh, get Wind Waker :U

• Thumbs Up 6

how is OoT a good entry point may I ask?

-First 3D game

-Center of the timeline

-Id call it classic and a good representation of what the world of Zelda has to offer.

-It's fun?

• Thumbs Up 7

how is OoT a good entry point may I ask?

It's probably the purest 3-D Zelda experience and would do a great job of showing a newcomer the ropes, I suppose.

Though, granted, I started with Wind Waker...

• Thumbs Up 3

A lot of hate for Twilight Princess in this thread ;-;. Twilight Princess (along with Majora's Mask) are my two favourite Zelda games. Wind Waker is pretty great too though I felt (though I'll be honest it was way too easy and the art style is the biggest reason why I love Wind Waker).

Ocarina of Time is okay, I still hold it in high regard, but mainly just out of the fact that it was the first 3D Zelda game I had played. I still enjoy playing it but I don't think I'd ever recommend it as my first pick for other people to play. Out of the N64 games I am more of a Majora's Mask kinda guy because I felt as a game it was pretty fresh/unique and still kinda feel that way about it to this day.

-First 3D game

-Center of the timeline

-Id call it classic and a good representation of what the world of Zelda has to offer.

-It's fun?

Who cares about the timeline other than the already existing fans? Shit, even some of the existing fans find the timeline annoying.

I can't argue the other stuff since I barely played it.

Edited by Akihikohikoakikaki

Actually, if I recall correctly, people were suggesting OoT not because it was the "best game ever", but because it would be a good entry point?

Oh my god.

Look, the game is fifteen years old. Better games have come out. It's called the "best game ever", because when it came out, it was, or at least one of them. And I defy you to tell me there are plenty of games from 1998 or so (and even later) that haven't aged much worse. Metal Gear Solid, anyone? Perhaps Sonic Adventure? Rayman 2?

And another thing? I really hate the word "overrated" - or, at least, I've grown to hate it. It's basically a really arrogant way of saying "WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS THING THAT I DON'T LIKE THAT'S DUMB". Just...really. 

Why would you even

Soniman already pointed out how you were supposed to figure this out.

Not only that, but is it really such a problem for a game to require any sort of experimentation? Ocarina of Time, even by Zelda standards, is not that much of a "where do I go, what do I do" game. You have Saria's Song to point you in the right direction, at the very least, and beyond that, most things aren't very hard to figure out. It's not Paper Mario: Sticker Star - you just have to try things out and use your brain.

What do you even mean by this?

What's wrong with the combat system?

Yeah, uh, if not for the original LoZ, that would pretty much be "WHERE DO I GO, WHAT DO I DO", the game. You're basically lost without a guide in that one.

Anyway, I'd call Ocarina of Time an "ageless masterpiece", but I know that's blatantly fanboyish hyperbole, so I'm just going to say it's one of my favorites, and yes, I am one of those who would say it's one of the "best games ever". I still fail to see how it's genuinely aged poorly aside from perhaps a few small things, but maybe that's just the nostalgia clouding my brain. Regardless, it's most certainly one of the best games ever if only for the impact it had.

No.

Comparing Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time is like comparing the New Super Mario Bros. games to the classic Mario games. Twilight Princess has its strengths - namely, absolutely fantastic dungeon designs, strong exploration, and Midna - but it also has horrible pacing, a mostly lame and rehashed story, a tedious overworld and God knows how many fetch quests. It's a good game, but only just. Lord knows it would only sour the guy's opinion of the Zelda series even more.

I'd recommend Skyward Sword, which is my fav Zelda, but hey, apparently that game is mediocre and "overrated", too, so... :I

eh, get Wind Waker :U

... Did you even read the rest of this forum?  Excuse me for not remembering Saria's song all the way through the game, excuse me for having to look up a guide just to try and find the fucking Kokiri Sword at the beggining, excuse me for my first ever rage quit in a game because of the forest temple.

How about this for you.  I DON'T LIKE THE GAME ANYMORE!  all you have done is just piss me off.  if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  I have simply said that if you like the game, then cool, I don't.  deal with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Did you even read the rest of this forum?  Excuse me for not remembering Saria's song all the way through the game, excuse me for having to look up a guide just to try and find the fucking Kokiri Sword at the beggining, excuse me for my first ever rage quit in a game because of the forest temple.

How about this for you.  I DON'T LIKE THE GAME ANYMORE!  all you have done is just piss me off.  if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  I have simply said that if you like the game, then cool, I don't.  deal with it.

How about you calm down and not get in a fit over someone criticizing your views.

Stuff like the Goron I can at least give you, but not finding the Kokiri Sword and not remembering Saira's song (despite the song being able to be seen on the start menu)? That's just ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 6

Who cares about the timeline other than the already existing fans? Shit, even some of the existing fans find the timeline annoying.

I can't argue the other stuff since I barely played it.

Wait the timeline bullshit is in this too? Please... I stopped caring about the timeline when Skyward Sword got a place in.

Edited by Abominal Taz

How about you calm down and not get in a fit over someone criticizing your views.

Stuff like the Goron I can at least give you, but not finding the Kokiri Sword and not remembering Saira's song (despite the song being able to be seen on the start menu)? That's just ridiculous.

Oh so you remember every song on the top of your head when you first played it and knew what they all did!?

Oh so you remember every song on the top of your head when you first played it and knew what they all did!?

Dude, chill already. Jesus. It's a game.

maybe, but when people think that your reasons for not liking a game are stupid anyone could get like this.

maybe, but when people think that your reasons for not liking a game are stupid anyone could get like this.

Welcome to the internet, where opinions aren't the same.

I did, and I was 9.

And look at you now.  You destroy buildings in a video game for a living.

Um... Saria's Song is never mentioned again after you first gain it.  Saria says you can use it to talk to her, she doesn't specifically say she'll give you hints on where to go.

And even then she has what... 4 hints total?  "Go to Zelda.  Go to Death Mountain.  Go to Zora's Domain.  Help I'm trapped in the Forest Temple."  It's useless after that.

God this is the Carnival Night Barrel topic all over again.  Congratulations to everyone who had no trouble with this game, I'll never know because I had no qualms with using guides when I was little and the entire game is learned off by heart now, but some of you guys are being patronising dicks about this.

Not everyone is going to know everything on the first go, but when you actually do learn it (with guides or whatever) you'll learn that in hindsight it really is seen as pretty obvious.

And was I just lucky enough to have no problems with this whatsoever? Are we really comparing remembering Saria's Song (a song that can be remembered by accessing the start menu) to the Barrel?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think what people here are failing to realize is that not everyone is going to be as adept at certain genres as other people are. This is one of those cases. The game wasn't designed in a clear enough way for some people as compared to others and that's totally okay - though I like to lean towards the case that Ocarina of Time is not designed as well as a lot of people think it is (which makes sense, it is the first of the 3D Zelda games) and it is most definitely not immune from criticism. I also think while differing opinions is fine, some of you guys are basically calling the guy an idiot for not 'getting' certain things and I think that is pretty low.

Edited by Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow, geeze, and I thought the Zelda fandom made me hate Skyward Sword. Dude, you gotta calm down man, we're not even being hostile towards you (or at least, what I'm reading doesn't seem terribly hostile).

As much as I hate to say about one of my favorite games of all time, OAKerina of Time is a bit dated, with that said, you can't expect the game to hold your hand as much as most modern day games do. All the advice I can give you is that for Zelda games, you have to do observation of your surroundings. Look around the area, if there's a bunch of bombs nearby, well, I think the game's telling you to use bombs on the "puzzle" or whatever is going on that needs to be solved. tongue.png

Also, if you have to use GameFAQs for a few points in the game, what's the big deal? I think there was one part I didn't "get". The Ice Dungeon had unmeltable ice and apparently you could "bottle" fire. I know the fire was on a pedestal asking to be bottled, but it made no bloody sense to me to be honest. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't say I agree with it not aging well... Well there are some aspects that don't hold that well about it, but I think it's still a pretty fun game to play, unlike the Original Zelda. But I do agree that OoT is not as godly as everyone makes it out to be. A Classic? Indeed. The game to end all games? Eeeehhhhh.....

I remember in highschool, my closest friends would never stop going on about how OoT was the best game of all time and how games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were incredibly inferior to it. Heck when one of them let me borrow OoT and MM, the other told me that I'd love OoT more and that MM was vastly inferior.

However, despite my unpopular opinion towards it (and the fact that so many know and Don't know how to take an  disagree my unpopular opinion... :V ) I ended up liking Majora's Mask more than OoT, but I was too afraid to tell my friends, cause I'd be the subject of so much trolling.

I kinda think the Hero of Time arc is the most overrated out of all the arcs in Zelda, but If i had to choose, I'd pick MM over OoT. Yeah, I said that I don't like being rushed when playing a game (Which is the main gimmick of this game,) The more surreal and colorful atmosphere kinda draws me in more than OoT's somewhat bleak atmosphere. 

Though my personal favorite, (which also happens to be my first Zelda game,) is Wind Waker. I think the art style and enviroments are wonderful not to mention, very fun. Even if you don't like the sailing in the game, I think Zelda fans should at least play it once, just to see how it is.

EDIT:

Geezus, and I thought got hostile when people disagreed with me. tongue.png

Seriously though saying you don't like the game anymore just to spite people is not going to hurt anybody's feelings. It's just a flipping game, dude. 

Edited by MAYHEM!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit I did not expect to come into a Zelda topic to see everyone bitching at each other like it's a fucking Sonic game =/

I think this is a fair warning to make for everyone here: knock this shit off. This is less a conversation and more of a snark fest, with more "Uh, no"s and "excuse me"s than I care to count. It's a fucking video game, if you want to talk about games then maybe you should do it in a way that you actually enjoy over a tone that can burn bridges with others over pointless bullshit. Masterofnone169, while you're not the only one doing this in this topic, your posts are among the most bitter and antagonizing. If you continue to do this then you won't last long on this forum. If you have a problem with other people's attitudes then report them rather than attack them back.

At the same time I'm also not too happy with some other people's tones here towards him and you all need to stop it too. I'm pretty tired of people saying certain game design is obvious because sometimes people aren't going to be able to figure out the things you do, and when you say it like that you're fucking patronizing them.

This is a really terrible topic in the state it's in, I would have locked it but if I see this erupt again, I will not only close it but hand out strikes to anyone who makes more sarcastic or antagonizing posts.

ughgh

• Thumbs Up 9

I used a guide a few times when I played through OoT3D, if I recall. I enjoy a good Zelda puzzle, but if I'm stumped for over an hour I just admit defeat and look it up.

In regards to the game's quality, it's pretty good, yeah. I would agree to the claims of it being one of the greatest of all time, despite not putting it in my Top 10. Hell, I'd all Super Mario 64 one of the greatest of all time, and I don't even enjoy that game. It all depends on its impact at the time of release.

also if you want the best game ever why are you playing zelda go get persona 4 you fool