Awoo.

My Reaction to The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Masterofnone169

Overrated game is overrated. Twilight Princess is way better despite what people say.

First half of the game as Young Link is fucking boring. Second half is better but the fucking Water Temple sucks ass. The bosses are way too easy which is funny cause OOT fanboys will bash TP for having easy bosses despite the fact that OOT has bosses that are just as easy.

Twilight Princess is a lot easier than Ocarina of Time. Between the overpowered sword moves, auto-blocking, and the fact that enemies never take out more than a heart, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Also, this is what I was talking about earlier. Your use of the term "overrated" and general condescending attitude toward supposed "fanboys" makes you look like a child. Try and express your opinions on the game constructively without just saying that it's "boring" or "sucks ass" or "overrated."

• Thumbs Up 5

It's funny actually, I recently completed Skyward Sword (like two days ago), and I seem to be the only one who actually liked the opening. It actually felt focused on beginning and moving the story along rather than being a simple tutorial like TP. The tutorial was more integrated into the narrative itself, so it was much more engaging.

Loved Skyward Sword btw, still don't know what I'd call my favourite 3D Zelda. Waiting for the Majora's Mask 3DS remake.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think Skyward Sword had a fantastic opening in setting me up for a game chock-full of story, character, and heart.

Dunno what happened to that game exactly but... yeah, good opening!

• Thumbs Up 2

We got badass Impa, a Zelda worth caring about, fantastic development from the GROOSE MAN! Dozens of other wonderful NPCs, and a bunch of other great stuff!

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I don't consider TP a bad game but the characters aside from Midna were bland and uninteresting.

Zelda and Ganondorf in paticular have this the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

We got badass Impa, a Zelda worth caring about, fantastic development from the GROOSE MAN! Dozens of other wonderful NPCs, and a bunch of other great stuff!

So why were all these brilliant characters wasted on inbetweeny stuff and then just pushed aside while we trudged through hours and hours of dungeons and overworlds-that-might-as-well-be-dungeons?  I really honestly hoped at the halfway point we actually would save Zelda and her journey with Impa would have upgraded her to being an equal badass alongside me, but nope after this great introduction which makes us care about her we barely ever see her again for the entire game.

Impa was alright but I just found

Don't worry, we'll meet again SOMEDAY.  HMHMHMHMHMHM BET YOU CAN'T GUESS WHAT I MEAN BY THAT.  ...  YES I WAS THE GRANNY ALL ALONG.  We met again after all!  *dies*

to be laughably ridiculous.

Like I'm not sure if we were meant to find that emotional or not considering it seemed to be the tragic conclusion to a story we weren't actually part of.

Groose was great, but we should have interacted with Zelda TWICE as much as we did him considering all the relationship establishment in the opening acts.  I just found their treatment of Zelda just so continously cockteasing the entire way through.

Edited by JezMM

I agree with the people who say Twilight Princess is a good intro for newbs who aren't too into heavy exploration and stuff.

Ironic b/c the things that were disappointing to me being a veteran fan (auto shield blocking, easy difficulty, holding your hand, too many rupees) will actually be good for someone like Masterofnone169.

Minish Cap is also on the short, easy side. (if you have a ds or advance).

• Thumbs Up 1

I do have to say one thing I adore about OoT is the art, not necessarily the in game art but stuff like the character artwork. The character portraits in particular are absolutely charming, and I'd love to see more art along that line for any game.

page021.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Speaking of the bad game-starts, the problem I have with most the openings of Zelda isn't whether they're good or bad really, just if they're fucking slow, which more often than not they always are. I guess I'm more-over a fan of the idea that when you start someone into your game, you want to hook them in, not bore them to death with trivial things, and making you acquire your basic needs in such a slow pace of a manner. I mean I truly understand why, it's building the tone and atmosphere, trying to get you to become attached to this starting area as your "home" all at the same time teaching you how to play the game. It's just I don't particularly fancy spending a good 2-3 hours locked in my village (Skyward Sword anyways).

I just don't understand why this is such a staple to the series. Loving this game aside, I really enjoyed how Link's Awakening handled it.

"Oh no, I woke up in this bed, where am I?"
"Oh what's your name? Oh ok, well we found you with this shield, here lawl. Also your sword might still be down there"
*can instantly go get sword real fast*
>game starts

Cuts out so much bullshit, but more importantly giving me the option to. If I was concerned about checking out this village, I could've easily went around getting to know all the NPCs before hand, doing it at my own pace. Wrapping back around, I guess Ocarina of Time was sort of like this, but it still felt more confined than what I just explained up there, and the series has only felt the need to extend this period with each installment. /rant

ANYWAYS, my love for OoT has died over the years, and I feel that natural. As games get more complex and better, some of the gems praised for their tech at the time are going to get dated. Doesn't help that I've blasted through it a bazillion times either, so it's pretty boring anymore. Heck, I still haven't finished the 3DS take of the game (though I'm right at the Spirit temple). But yeah, I definitely can say it's long overdue to step down from it's fan-projected throne in gaming. It had it's time and will always be a great benchmark in not only the Zelda series, but video games in general. It's just we've grown up since then considerably and don't really feel like it deserves  the level of god-tier praise it gets anymore.

• Thumbs Up 5

I do have to say I am really REALLY hoping the next Zelda has an opening more like Majora's Mask.  Even if for the sake of story they just make it a flash-foward to a later, more exciting part of the game, or a dream-sequence, or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

This might sound really strange coming from someone who has only played 1 Zelda game.  But I think that the next Zelda game (the 1 for the Wii U) to be a full fledged reboot...

Actually, now that I think about it I don't think it needs one considering the fact the they are treat as individual stories and not a sequel after sequel sort of thing.

I know 1 thing I would like to see in the next game that I think might be a good idea.  Having 3 different combat systems, 1 like Skyward Sword where it is done with motion controls, 1 like Ocarina of time with Z targeting and 1 over head combat where  it plays like A Link To The Past.

I know 1 thing I would like to see in the next game that I think might be a good idea.  Having 3 different combat systems, 1 like Skyward Sword where it is done with motion controls, 1 like Ocarina of time with Z targeting and 1 over head combat where  it plays like A Link To The Past.

This completely and utterly wouldn't work, as the enemies and their weakpoints and combat system would have to be redesigned for every single control setting.

This completely and utterly wouldn't work, as the enemies and their weakpoints and combat system would have to be redesigned for every single control setting.

Well yes and no.  While it would mean redesigning how certain enemies work, the reason why I think it is possible is because they do have 500 people working on the new Zelda.  That's Nintedo's largest development team ever.  But I can see where you are coming from.

Though as for people saying TP started off slow....you clearly don't play like me

15mix7b.jpg

b7dzit.jpg

dm2umg.jpg

Oh you mods and your penis fun...rolleyes.gif

Well yes and no.  While it would mean redesigning how certain enemies work, the reason why I think it is possible is because they do have 500 people working on the new Zelda.  That's Nintedo's largest development team ever.  But I can see where you are coming from.

Essentially it comes down to the fact that stuff like this shouldn't be "20 people work on this system, 20 on this one, and 20 on this one", but rather "60 people work on one, totally awesome system".

That and the fact that 2D and 3D alone are entirely different beasts.  It'd be like designing a Mario game that can be played in 2D or in 3D - you'd need totally different level designs or else one would suffer for the sake of the other.

roose was great, but we should have interacted with Zelda TWICE as much as we did him considering all the relationship establishment in the opening acts.  I just found their treatment of Zelda just so continously cockteasing the entire way through.

I still think it would have been an awesome joke-canon for Groose to have become Ganondorf. 

Essentially it comes down to the fact that stuff like this shouldn't be "20 people work on this system, 20 on this one, and 20 on this one", but rather "60 people work on one, totally awesome system".

That and the fact that 2D and 3D alone are entirely different beasts.  It'd be like designing a Mario game that can be played in 2D or in 3D - you'd need totally different level designs or else one would suffer for the sake of the other.

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

P.S.  There is a Mario game like that.  Paper Mario Wii.

Haha, this is true, but the game actually uses it for gameplay, whereas I believe your suggestion is more that the player picks their preferred type and either uses it the whole game or can switch it at any point depending on what they want to use.

Except no. It's not the same at all.

If we're talking about OoT aging badly, I wouldn't say it's aged to the extent where it's not enjoyable today. It's still an enjoyable game in it's own right, and the minimal improvements bought about by OoT3D did it the world of good. The only I'd say that genuinely sucks design-wise is Hyrule Field. It's a huge void of a landscape that may well have been amazing back during the N64 years, but it couldn't be much worse by standards now.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

If we're talking about OoT aging badly, I wouldn't say it's aged to the extent where it's not enjoyable today. It's still an enjoyable game in it's own right, and the minimal improvements bought about by OoT3D did it the world of good. The only I'd say that genuinely sucks design-wish is Hyrule Field. It's a huge void of a landscape that may well have been amazing back during the N64 years, but it's couldn't be much worse by standards now.

I dunno, TP Hyrule Field managed to be worse, mostly because it was more or less just as barren but about ten times larger.

If we're talking about OoT aging badly, I wouldn't say it's aged to the extent where it's not enjoyable today. It's still an enjoyable game in it's own right, and the minimal improvements bought about by OoT3D did it the world of good. The only I'd say that genuinely sucks design-wish is Hyrule Field. It's a huge void of a landscape that may well have been amazing back during the N64 years, but it's couldn't be much worse by standards now.

It would have been better if they actually had ENEMIES TO FIGHT. As a kid the only consistent enemy is the Peahats, other than that you have the Skulltulas which only appear at night. This is even worse as Adult Link when they're are NO enemies to fight at all save for a finite number of Poes that can only be encountered on horseback.

Termina field fixes this by being a lot smaller and actually having enemy variety.

Same goes for TP's Hyrule Field though it was debatably worse due to it's stupidly large size.

TP is actually fun to explore though if you choose to.  There's a ton of realistic nooks and crannies and several mini-dungeons and cave networks to be found which I found a hoot to explore and discover.

OoT on the other hand... exploring is a case of "Oh a rock in the distance, is there a 2D hole leading to the same copy-pasted cave but with something slightly different in the chest under this one?  No there is not.  Oh another rock in the distance..."

• Thumbs Up 2

Twilight Princess' dungeons in the overworld were definitely more creative than the little holes in the ground in Ocarina of Time, but they were usually totally pointless, containing nothing more than a bunch of rupees. I think most players were probably expecting a better reward for their dungeon trekking, while the designers figured the actual experience of getting to the end would be reward enough. But I always thought they were too bland, dark and simple to enjoy, especially when stacked up against some of the really good dungeons the main game has. 

Edited by Solly

Going back onto the subject of intros, I would like to see one with Link waking up in a dungeon straight off, with the ensuing playthrough revealing bits of the narrative while maintaining a good starting pace.

• Thumbs Up 2