Awoo.

On the Psychological Sonic Drought of 2012

Tani Coyote

To be honest I'm getting slightly more hopeful that the next Sonic game will be a bigger deal with more overall effort in it, like Unleashed. After sitting on the thought for a while I'm just gonna guess that Colors and Generations were the weaker games regarding immersion and storyline because of how they were being worked on nearly simultaneously for a while, in a year apart of each, no less. I really just hope it delivers me more content and incentive to keep playing this time.

As for the inevitable S4E3 or whatever, I couldn't care less. 2automated4me.

Then again, an odd thing to remember is that Generations is the first main console game since 06 to have most the extended characters in it(handhelds and racers dont count), heck other than sonic tails, and eggman the last of them we saw was what, Amy in unleahed? the fact they are willing to bring them back signals that something interesting might be coming......

I gotta give it to Sega tho, it's nice to know they're actually doing their job for a change and keeping things hidden. We've been having far too many game leaks since Unleashed.

But what if.....there's been no leaks.....because they're not making anything....

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

Is it a consequence of having four plot driven games between 2008 and 2011, or something else? Are we so used to early teasers or trailers that we feel left out of the loop? What are your thoughts?

That one there. This basically hasn't happened since the 90's that Sega has gone so long without announcing anything. Sonic titles weren't always yearly after Adventure, but you always knew what was coming next very soon after the game came out. We knew about Heroes and were being given inside looks at the development a good year before it came out, and the rereleases of Adventure and Adventure 2 were big enough deals still that no one was really lacking for Sonic news. We knew most everything there was to know about ShtH not that long after Heroes released. Sega built up STH '06 similarly.

The closest comparison would be the period of time between STH '06 and Unleashed (which was something like a year and a half passed before it was announced, and represented one of the biggest changes in the series to that point), but no one was really clamoring for a Sonic game then anyway so it wasn't an issue; and after that Sega was constantly announcing shit.

It is interesting seeing people's reactions. Even I was a bit of a douche about the Sonic Dash thing, but only because the whole situation was a massive shambles... so yeah, sorry about that guys. :/

In reality though, I have all kinds of stuff to do and I have recently bought way too many games than I have free time for, so when I actually think about it I'm not all that fussed about a Sonic drought.

From my POV, it's partially because we are all so used to getting at least one main Sonic game (or at least a Sonic game with a canon storyline that adds to the continuity, like Secret Rings and Black Knight), that not having anything of the sort for almost a year makes that year feel extremely barren as a result, despite the release of games like All Stars Racing Transformed.

(or at least a Sonic game with a canon storyline that adds to the continuity, like Secret Rings and Black Knight)

What does that make Sonic 4 Ep II?

Adds to the continuity. Not contradicts it because no one who made it knew what they were talking about with it.

What does that make Sonic 4 Ep II?

On a personal note, I don't really care, mainly because those games tend to be so small that it slips under the radar. On a wider note, I don't know tbh.

It really does help to be interested in other things.  Sonic middles out in my "List of Things I Get Excited About", so of course I'm losing my shit over how it's a few more months to Pikmin 3 (HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKING ABRAHAM GODDAMN LINCOLN ONLY A FEW MORE FUCKING MONTHS -mouthfoam-), but the fact that we haven't had any new Sonic in a while doesn't bug me as much.

I'm essentially waiting for someone to deny Metal Sonic's existance in it so I can get the disappointment out of the way.

Edited by Flash-in-the-Pan Wario

Sonic fans are spoiled. We tend to get a couple games per year, which is a higher rate than most franchises. A lot of smaller series take several years before the next major installment comes, and that's assuming there aren't any side titles to come out in between. So it only seems like a "drought" because you're so used to Sega shitting out games all the time that when they suddenly seem to "slow down" (nevermind that we just got AST a few months ago) people seem to find that as good a reason as any to get impatient.

Find other series to get invested in. The more franchises you're interested in, the more often it is that a game you're super interested in gets released and when you play it, your mind is taken off the others for a while. And then other games come out and then finally, a Sonic game. Coming online hoping for some piece of Sonic news every other day is like trying to watch a kettle boil on the stove.

Or you could just not give a shit like me.

And you guys think you have it bad? Hell no you don't.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic fans are spoiled. We tend to get a couple games per year, which is a higher rate than most franchises. A lot of smaller series take several years before the next major installment comes, and that's assuming there aren't any side titles to come out in between. So it only seems like a "drought" because you're so used to Sega shitting out games all the time that when they suddenly seem to "slow down" (nevermind that we just got AST a few months ago) people seem to find that as good a reason as any to get impatient.

Find other series to get invested in. The more franchises you're interested in, the more often it is that a game you're super interested in gets released and when you play it, your mind is taken off the others for a while. And then other games come out and then finally, a Sonic game. Coming online hoping for some piece of Sonic news every other day is like trying to watch a kettle boil on the stove.

Or you could just not give a shit like me.

Zelda fans have it worse, getting a major new game every 4-5 years.

what about Starfox Fans, our last new title was ont he DS, we havent seen a console game for nearly a decade!

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaaand the less said about EarthBound fans, the better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Let's not forget F-Zero, Metroid (either of these could be the new game Retro Studios is making) and Crash Bandicoot. All my feels go to the F-Zero fans especially, since they haven't seen a new F-Zero game since 2004!

A new Zelda game every 4-5 years doesn't bug me because those games have enough content to justify the wait. Sonic games usually don't even have enough content to justify the two-year development cycle.

• Thumbs Up 7

And Mega Man. Now that's a fanbase that's gotten majorly screwed over in terms of any upcoming games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Least there's like ten Half-Life games as is (what with all the spin-offs and such).

NiGHTS/Mother/JSR fans have what, two, three games tops?  With absolutely no hope of a sequel?

Must suck.

OH WAIT IT DOES

Edited by Flash-in-the-Pan Wario

Guys, I think we can all admit that Duke Nukem fans have it the worst.

I think something has to be GOOD for it to have f-

-looks at everything between Heroes and Unleashed-

Eheh...nevermind.

Imo, I don't think the fans would be as hopped up as they are if it weren't for the fact that the next game would be:

1. The first game after an anniversary title that felt like the closing of a 20-year long chapter in the series, and they wanna see what happens now.

2. A rumored fresh start, "so, where's the team going with the series? We just did space and time travel so now what?" And,

3. A game that would probably be the series' first step onto next generation consoles, and Sonic game hype always seems to be higher for the games that start off a new gen.

I mean, I agree that they're still impatient, but if anything, I see the fans as being extra crazy for those three reasons. I don't remember this much craziness happening during the void between Unleashed and Colors. (Yeah we had Black Knight, but it was a spin off, and it came out in the spring of '09, and Colors came out in the fall/winter 2010 so it was still over a year-long gap)

• Thumbs Up 5

Legacy of Kain fans represent! :D

The series wasn't finished; it's last game ends on a cliffhanger and the final game was cancelled a year after development.

:(

There's been a drought? Feels like Sonic Generations came out yesterday.

I can hear the echos of the past as if it was last week.

"to many city levels"

"Classics physics still aren't right!"

"Sky Sanctuary Modern is what all modern levels should be"

"HOMMINGSHOTYOUGOTDISANIC"

• Thumbs Up 9

I just realized Generations is almost two years old. Damn time flies. 

But yea people, find new hobbies, get invested in new series. Do something. Hell at this point, I'm in between the realm of not really giving a shit and emtremely patient because I follow other franchises.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Enjoy your future. It's gonna be great."

Is that what he meant? No more games ever?

• Thumbs Up 5