Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

Haha I dunno man, this IS Square Enix we're talking about. They certainly like taking their time with these games... XP

Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't seem to be anywhere near as far along as FFXV is so I doubt they'll release alongside eachother.

• 4 weeks later...

Episode Duscae 2.0 planned for release this May

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/27/final-fantasy-xvs-episide-duscae-demo-update-coming-additional-combat-actions/

SE are in discussions with Sony and Microsoft to be able to have the ability to PATCH the demo with updates. The demo will also include improvements such as Active Cross Battle enhancements, camera and targeting improvements, a possible inclusion of a dodge roll for Noctis, adjustments to balance, joint attacks, MP usage and recovery tweaking and much more! Frame rate improvements are also being done although they might not get it done on time before they release 2.0. It also seems that they might add some new quests in too.

If you want ALL the details, here's the Active Battle Report video.

I'm excited. People who didn't get Type-0 will finally be able to try this game out, and the people who did will get to try an improved version of it. 2.0 is going to be a hub of sorts, and I'd say they could do with all the feedback. This game needs to be borderline perfect...it's a lot of pressure and they have to get the game right.

EDIT: It seems that it's just an update for those who already have the demo. It won't be released separately. This is basically going to be a closed beta.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really? It hasn't been confirmed but it will suck if that was the case...

EDIT: Yeah, it seems that it's just an update for those who already have the demo. Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Gamestop has this giveaway thing where you get lots of FFXV stuff. But I think the coolest part is that, if you win, you get your face and voice in the game, and your name in the credits. God that just sounds awesome. :DDD

Anywho I still haven't played the demo since I don't have Type-0, but it LOOKS fun. How different is it compared to FFXIII?

Gamestop has this giveaway thing where you get lots of FFXV stuff. But I think the coolest part is that, if you win, you get your face and voice in the game, and your name in the credits. God that just sounds awesome. :DDD

Why don't we have that...?

:(

Oh it's a completely different beast to FF XIII. It's not linear since it's open world and the combat is not menu based or ATB based but it's legit real time combat, like Kingdom Hearts really. It also feels very western with it's structure. It doesn't really feel like a JRPG in my opinion, well with the exception of the protags and the crazy looking weapons, but whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh it's a completely different beast to FF XIII. It's not linear since it's open world and the combat is not menu based or ATB based but it's legit real time combat, like Kingdom Hearts really. It also feels very western with it's structure. It doesn't really feel like a JRPG in my opinion, well with the exception of the protags and the crazy looking weapons, but whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

This really bothers me. I play a JRPG because I like JRPG's. If it doesn't play at all like a JRPG I don't know if I'll actually like playing it. I mean, FF XIII's ATB combat system was so restrictive, so that was horrible as well. But I don't think I'll like this much better, KH is something I barely enjoy.

I absolutely love Kingdom Hearts, so that is good news. I'm not too bothered it isn't too similar to other JRPGs, it sounds really fun. :D

Wait you guys are talking like this game already came out, did it?

Episode Duscae tho
  • Thumbs Up 1

This really bothers me. I play a JRPG because I like JRPG's. If it doesn't play at all like a JRPG I don't know if I'll actually like playing it. I mean, FF XIII's ATB combat system was so restrictive, so that was horrible as well. But I don't think I'll like this much better, KH is something I barely enjoy.

If you barely like Kingdom Hearts then this game isn't for you. Cause that's what it's battle system is pretty much like if you want to make comparisons. It does lack the aerial combat KH has so that's a pet peeve of mine.

If you barely like Kingdom Hearts then this game isn't for you. Cause that's what it's battle system is pretty much like if you want to make comparisons. It does lack the aerial combat KH has so that's a pet peeve of mine.

I kinda liked the look of the Episode Duscae, but I was also hoping it'd be more of an RPG (since its Final Fantasy) than KH. I'm also interested in the storyline. But its the gameplay I'm questioning... too action-based and I don't really care for it as much. Something akin to FFXII, Tales, or Star Ocean I like, though.

It's quite funny that you mention FF XII because a lot of people are saying that it's going to have something like FF XII's Gambit system, were you can customise the AI of your teammates to react to certain situations. In fact in Episode Duscae there is an option in your tactical menu which cannot be selected which seems to suggest that this will be the case.

Combine that with the weapon system Noctis has, were you can have different buffs, combos and abilities entirely depending on which weapons you use and how you arrange them (which can be changed at any time via the tactical menu) and this game definitely seems like it's going to be more statistical and strategic than Kingdom Hearts. In Duscae there is only about 5 weapons but I'm sure there will be a hell of a lot more in the full game.

You also have Joint (combination) attacks and magic as well. It's definitely not going to be like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. It's still going to be more of a RPG than a full on hack and slash.

• 3 weeks later...

Episode Duscae 2.0 overview.

Luminous Engine 1.5 showcase

Also a couple of things have been changed from the transition from Versus XIII to XV.

1. Stella is gone and is replaced with Luna.
  2. The scenario where Noctis was talking to Stella in a party before getting attacked by enemy forces in one of the Versus XIII trailers has been deleted entirely due to Stella not being in the game anymore and for another "good reason" which wasn't told because it was a spoiler.
  3. Lastly there will still be gameplay which will take place in the city of Insomnia, although when this will take place will be from a different time compared to Versus XIII.

Tabata also said that XV is not Versus XIII anymore so don't expect the exact same game which was showcased back then but we hope that we still enjoy it. They'll start fully promoting the game from Gamescom onwards and it's not making an appearance at E3.

So in all, special attacks in this game include synchronized cartwheels, and synchronized group penetration of enemies all in one?

Quite possibly the best Final Fantasy in years

A bit disappointing to hear the games changed story wise so much. Stella really sounded and looked like a interesting character, so to hear that she's been removed and replaced entirely kinda bums me out(and just removing scenes entirely just worries me about how much content is gonna be cut out.). I mean they really overall just redid this game from scratch from the look of it. Not saying it looks worse or anything, it still looks great, but definitely doesn't feel anything like the game we originally saw IMO.

I think from the start, we kinda had the idea of XV being completely fucking different from Versus XIII bar the main protags. Even then, we also don't know how bad or good Luna is anyway. That being said, throwing out Stella because she seemingly doesn't fit in with the story is rather telling.