Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

On 12/7/2016 at 10:41 AM, MegasonicZX said:

I hope that later on they can change up some things with the combat too like adding more techniques for noctis to use and making the dodge/parry more responsive (sometimes they just don't work even if you aren't in the middle of attacking). It does make me happy that they are really dedicated on supporting this game though because despite all the problems I have with it its still pretty fun and i'm looking forward to all the future content for it.

I don't have the game yet, but from what I hear there's an upgrade in the ascension grid that allows for this. Could be wrong though.

39 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

I don't have the game yet, but from what I hear there's an upgrade in the ascension grid that allows for this. Could be wrong though.

No, its a game thing (the problems in the control, not the system) and the only upgrades for it are ones that make it so that you don't lose MP on dodge if you do it at the last second, one that lowers the MP cost and one that makes it so that you can do it in the air (which feels even less responsive). There is also one for pressing the button after an attack has hit to negate damage (like bat within in bayonetta if you've ever played it) but I haven't gotten it yet.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:41 AM, MegasonicZX said:

I hope that later on they can change up some things with the combat too like adding more techniques for noctis to use and making the dodge/parry more responsive (sometimes they just don't work even if you aren't in the middle of attacking). It does make me happy that they are really dedicated on supporting this game though because despite all the problems I have with it its still pretty fun and i'm looking forward to all the future content for it.

I've noticed the dodge/parry not working too. I think both of them, especially the parry are very position dependant. If you get bumped by somone (party member, weird spell effect, enemy running into another enemy) it's very easy for the whole thing to wiff. 

As far as dodging goes I've had no problems, if you can't blink through an attack just by holding square then it CAN'T be blinked through (AoE attack), you need to warp or roll away before it goes off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just beat the game this morning. 

I'm so conflicted right now.

I knew this game wouldn't be able to live up to the hype and it certainly has many flaws, many of which are disappointing given how long Square Enix had to polish this game. 

But I still liked it. In spite of all of my grievances with the game, I liked it. 

Spoiler

Pros

• Visuals- This game looks absolutely amazing. It's extremely impressive and I'm glad they managed to keep the game at a stable framerate, unlike the earlier builds. 
  • Music- This is a given, but I loved the music. The Cleigne battle theme is my favorite in the entire series. Having songs from the most games in the series was a great bonus too. 
  • The team- I love  how the guys all interact with each other. It's a minor thing, but I love banter like this in games, helps make the characters feel more like friends. Helping Ignis make breakfast or letting Prompto take a group photo are nice moments in the game that break up the exploration. 
  • THE ENDING!!!- Sorry, got a little excited there. But I can't stress how great the final chapter is. A time skip makes it really sink in how much the world has fallen apart. Teaming up with everyone and returning to Insomnia to reclaim the throne is such an amazing moment (especially with Somnus playing during this segment). Choosing your favorite photo from the game nearly made me tear up, along with Noctis actually dying (Square Enix, don't you dare revive him like you did with Tidus). 

Cons

• The story- This is definitely a big issue for the game. If you haven't watched Brotherhood FFXV or Kingsglaive, prepared to be disappointed. Want to see the fall of Insomnia? Here's a 20 second clip from the movie. Not enough? Too bad. Confused about what happened in Noctis' dream sequence? Look up the Omen trailer. Doesn't help how the story doesn't really get anywhere for the first 8 chapters, it's just wander around until you want to check out the main quest marker, get a cryptic warning from Ardyn, invade a base, repeat. And even when the story picks up, it still feels incomplete or anticlimatic; you're just told the empire completely fell apart, you don't get to see any of it. You fight the evil emperor who just mutated into another generic daemon that doesn't feel like the epic battle it should've been. 
  • The Eidolon boss fights- These were a letdown. Titan is just a bunch of quicktime events and Leviathan isn't even a challenge because of how quickly your health regenerates. Ifrift is better, but not by much because of how easily he goes down. 
  • The camera- It's terrible. Even when you're locked on to something, it feels like it's trying to focus on something else. It also zooms in way too close for large enemies like the Iron Giants, making them far more difficult than they should be. 
  • The difficultly- There are some moments where the difficulty just spikes for no reason, usually when you take on an enemy that matches your level only for you to be instantly killed. If they're that powerful, then don't make me think I can handle them. 
  • Chapter 13- I hated the game during this segment. It's long, boring, frustrating, and absolutely infuriating. The stealth is so terrible that you're better off just trying to kill the enemies; they're nowhere near strong enough to kill you so just use Death and get it over with. Also, why are there jump scares in Final Fantasy game?
  • The final boss- To be fair, I wasn't sure what to be expect. Bu the final showdown with Ardyn just feels...anticlimatic. I'm glad he doesn't turn into massive monster like previous bosses, but he doens't feel that different from everything before this point. Actually, this applies to nearly most of the bosses in the game, which is a shame. 
  • The sidequests- There's a bunch of these, but are they fun? Not really. Go here, grab an item, come back. I summed up nearly every quest in the game. 

I have no idea where I place this game on my list of Final Fantasy games, but I still enjoyed it. What did you all think of the game?

I loved everything about the game so far after beating it. The only gripe i guess is the difficulty spikes in odd places. Level 44 things can trash you sometimes if your clumsy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Overall, the only major problem I have with XV is the story telling. After chapter 9, the whole things feels rushed out to meet a deadline.

This game is HECKIN fun. I'm only on chapter 3 because I'm exploring and killing stuff. Came across a spooky Reaper dude at night, it was level 25 but I was able to take it down.

Also, the online expansion will let you play as Cor, Iris and someone called Aranea. Luna is under consideration as well.

So I guess it's more than a simple online mode. Either way it lets me play as Iris, so that's awesome!

Okay.

Anyways, here's a meme I made:

Ignis is a cool character (though I like Prompto quite a bit too)

• Thumbs Up 4

Jeez, this game is seriously long. I'm only on Chapter 4, and I'm over 10 hours in, (although I did get side tracked for six hours doing side quests and hunting).

This is my first Final Fantasy title, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it thus far.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Jeez, this game is seriously long. I'm only on Chapter 4, and I'm over 10 hours in, (although I did get side tracked for six hours doing side quests and hunting).

This is my first Final Fantasy title, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it thus far.

It's actually not that long at all, all things considered. Average time to beat is about 25-30 hours and there's XV chapters.

I think one of my favourite things about the game is the friendship between the main four characters. It's just really interesting to see them act like friends and such, especially when staying at a hotel, or camping, you get to see them do things like playing cards, and actually reacting to who's winning or losing. 

On top of that, I also found out you get random cutscenes of character development when staying at places in the game, and I actually like that. It works naturally where you'll have scenes like Noct is just hanging out around the building, and another character will come up and actually talk with them, and actually like how a proper conversation goes. Like the character development won't just come out of nowhere, it'll actually be done really naturally, with for example, Prompto's conversation starting out with them actually thinking about how they met and became friends, and then that naturally leads the conversation into why they didn't become friends earlier, when then leads into the actual development, I think that's a really good touch.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think one of my favourite things about the game is the friendship between the main four characters. It's just really interesting to see them act like friends and such, especially when staying at a hotel, or camping, you get to see them do things like playing cards, and actually reacting to who's winning or losing. 

On top of that, I also found out you get random cutscenes of character development when staying at places in the game, and I actually like that. It works naturally where you'll have scenes like Noct is just hanging out around the building, and another character will come up and actually talk with them, and actually like how a proper conversation goes. Like the character development won't just come out of nowhere, it'll actually be done really naturally, with for example, Prompto's conversation starting out with them actually thinking about how they met and became friends, and then that naturally leads the conversation into why they didn't become friends earlier, when then leads into the actual development, I think that's a really good touch.

The brotherly love between the 4 mains is the heart of the game. If you haven't yet, check out the anime, as it is all about that aspect, it goes even deeper into Prompto and what makes him tick.

I beat it and got platinum.  the game is honestly to easy. I really was made for those not use to any right ever. The story was great to me though I was sad at the ending

• 7 months later...

Another announcement.

Apparently it's... a demake... for IoS, Android and Windows 10... called Pocket Edition... released episodically (the first of wich freely this autumn)... wich is hinted also to come out on the Switch in the future...

excusemewhat.mp4

This is fucking real.
And Gladio has skipped leg day.

Am i on acid?

Jesus Christ this artstyle decision was terrible. Like, what even is this? Why even is this? I'm both laughing and terrified by these designs, were square high?

On 8/22/2017 at 5:36 AM, Teoskaven said:

wich is hinted also to come out on the Switch in the future...

The hint was just for FFXV in general. It wasn't specifically Pocket Edition. Its possible it COULD be, but they never said anything about the FFXV hint being connected to Pocket Edition. They're two separate things.

Anyway, it looks like they're trying to maintain the feel of the original. So that's cool. 10 Episodes means some stuff gets dropped, but in all honesty, the original game was mostly sidequests anyway. They could keep everything from the original (simplified, of course) and just condense the chapters down easy enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Anyway, it looks like they're trying to maintain the feel of the original. So that's cool.

If they were I'm not feeling it then. Thing looks ugly af and distracts me to much from any attempt to "feel like the original". There's such a thing as a bad visual design, and Pocket Edition, to me at least, proves it, with its stupidly hilarious hybrid chibi designs with unproportioned body parts, soulless facial features, etc. I can't at all see this doing the story of FFXV seriously. It looks like a style that would much better work for a game like World of Final Fantasy or Crystal Chronicles.

2 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

The hint was just for FFXV in general. It wasn't specifically Pocket Edition. Its possible it COULD be, but they never said anything about the FFXV hint being connected to Pocket Edition. They're two separate things.

Anyway, it looks like they're trying to maintain the feel of the original. So that's cool. 10 Episodes means some stuff gets dropped, but in all honesty, the original game was mostly sidequests anyway. They could keep everything from the original (simplified, of course) and just condense the chapters down easy enough.

Wich begs the question though: did we really needed this?
And i mean in a literal way: the game has performed greatly both in reviews and in sales, and already has a fuckton of side/complementary material. Was there really the need to make this demake to reach the mobile crowd that may have wanted to play the game (wich in itself is a weird thought to begin with)? I would have rather had the team responsable for this make either something new or something necessary, like i don't know, a port of Bravely Default, or a small 3D remake of Final Fantasy Dimensions.
This feels a waste of effort, money and time, and not even good looking one.

54 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Wich begs the question though: did we really needed this?

Literally, just so they can get FFXV on EVERYTHING that couldn't handle the original.

Switch can run FFXV as it is, but mobile and all them tinier handhelds can't.

Problem is, is that they're milking FFXV dry at this point honestly.

19 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Literally, just so they can get FFXV on EVERYTHING that couldn't handle the original.

Switch can run FFXV as it is, but mobile and all them tinier handhelds can't.

Problem is, is that they're milking FFXV dry at this point honestly.

FF7 tbf did the same, but that was over the course of years, not months. And on top of this mobile shit, there's the shitty other mobile FFXV game cynically made to be a microtransactions dump. 

Yknow a game I'd have loved to see get a mobile version tho? WoFF. It's a simple game with a simple story and they could probably downgrade the visuals and not have it effect much in terms of atmosphere and feel of the original.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a repeat of FF VII and 13. It's not entirely surprising though, since XV is all they have right now. They switched to Unreal for future games to avoid ridiculous decade long dev times.