Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

final fantasy was originally on the Nintendo systems...

Yeah, when FF was on 2D.

Yeah, when FF was on 2D.

wasnt ff7 intended to be on the next Nintendo system back then, but Nintendo was a dick to square or something? And the ps1 came shortly after?
  • Thumbs Up 2

final fantasy was originally on the Nintendo systems...

Yeah, when FF was on 2D.

Lets not get into this.

FF was a Nintendo exclusive until VI and then it was a Sony exclusive from VII until XII.

Edited by Tmsp

wasnt ff7 intended to be on the next Nintendo system back then, but Nintendo was a dick to square or something? And the ps1 came shortly after?

Nintendo was a dick to everyone

FF was a Nintendo exclusive until VI and then it was a Sony exclusive from VII until XII.

iirc FF1 was on MSX too.

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 2

The next Nintendo system used cartridges still that only Nintendo could produce, for a fee the publishers had to pay; and Square (plus a bunch of other developers) told them to fuck right off.

• Thumbs Up 3

Article also states that Sony is co-developing the title, so there is no way this will come to any system that doesn't have the Sony logo on it.

Obviously, Sony doesn't want Square Enix to pull an Ubisoft on them.

Sony reclaiming what's rightfully theirs. XP

If it is "rightfully theirs" then Sony would own Square Enix, but they don't.

Edited by Kareemadeem
  • Thumbs Up 4

Merged with existing Final Fantasy Versus XIII thread until we see how his rumor pans out.

>Rightfully theirs

Half the series (see: most of the atually not shit games) was on Nintendo consoles. But seriously, Final Fantasy is one of their cash cows, I see no problem with it being multiplat. I'd see no problem with Dragon Quest being multiplat either but, the developers of that prefer Nintendo systems. The FF designers preferred PSX back in the day due to Nintendo's dick move of expensive cartridges. No one does that anymore.

• Thumbs Up 6

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was always going to be a Sony exclusive entry. A name change will probably do little to change that.

What I am miffed about is the switch to PS4. Sure, technological freedom and all that jazz might be considered justifiable but this game has been known of for over seven years and was even used to practically sell the PS3 of all things. That's nothing to say about the game resurfacing in 2009 along with the reveal of The Last Guardian; both which were practically considered the key reasons Sony had "won" that year's E3 but which had never been heard of since. Those two games were sales incentives for me back then but time has easily worn out my anticipation and old games that were promised to the consoles of this gen being repurposed as selling points of the new gen is really not going to convince me one more time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyway, now that one side of my mind had said something, now let's hear from the other side of my mind.

I doubt this is true. Well I had high hopes at first but after reading the first paragraph, I have to pin a red flag on that article. Not all Square-Enix development teams stopped on cold to work on FFXIV.  How can 7 or so development teams stop on what they were doing to work on FFXIV? 

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

What I am miffed about is the switch to PS4.

The thing is, if the reason VGLeaks is putting forward is true. The madness of Square Enix is completely to blame for all of this.

FF14 was out a few years ago, and it was terrible. So instead of moving on they decided to change it and for some god only knows reason pour resources into fixing/remaking that and giving sequels to FF13 which nobody wanted.

FF13-2 looked quite dated. FF13-3LIGHTNING RETURNS has media which looks worse than FF8 looks by it's 90's standards and this is due out on PS360's within the year (or so)...

And don't forget... All of this includes the promise of FF14 A Realm Reborn also coming to the PS3!

What can they possibly do with FF Versus 13 other than make it next gen? They stopped production on it so it's 2 years behind schedule thanks to FF14 and their attempts to convince us to love Lightning. If they kept it as a PS3 exclusive (versus), by the time it comes out, Wii-U might actually have something resembling a library of games, PS4 will be out and getting support and we might even have the next Xbox out too which will be getting support.

Realistically, whats the date this could come out if the 'stopped production' is true? Late 2014 (This is never going to be day 1 launch title is it?) It could even be 2015....

Can you imagine the reception it would get if come late 2014 or 2015 Square release FFVersus and it's a PS3 exclusive? And keep in mind, we're still waiting for FF14 to come out on the PS3, which by the way is aparently still happening!

lol and some people still don't think SE/Final Fantasy games are out of control.

How can 7 or so development teams stop on what they were doing to work on FFXIV?

Have you seen the mess that game/Square Enix is in? I don't find it hard to believe at all.

To give you an idea as to how drastic the work has been... here is the interface for a battle in the original FF14.

FFXIV_battle_interface.png

Here is what it looks like in FF14 Realm Reborn.

FFXIV_ARR_battle_interface.png

And this isn't the final product. It looks like a completely different game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmm, this game has taken so long to come out that I don't even care about it anymore. I just don't understand Square, why pump so much money into mediocre sequels to an already mediocre game, and delay the one everyone actually wants.  Square the Assbackwards studio.

Hmm, this game has taken so long to come out that I don't even care about it anymore. I just don't understand Square, why pump so much money into mediocre sequels to an already mediocre game, and delay the one everyone actually wants.  Square the Assbackwards studio.

I don't honestly know, at this point I think squares trying to hard to make FF popular again (or should I say as popular as the old days) instead of making the things that they've put on hold for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on, let me grab my time machine for a moment.

Not gonna get too excited about this game until I get a solid release frame. Tired of Squeenix stringing me along.

I shall share in the wisdom of the ancient people of two-thousand and ten.

Well this sucks. Especially considering the PS4 isn't backwards compatible (from what I remember) and it'll probably be ass expensive when it comes out. I didn't really want to have to get one just because of Versus 13.

Square is just in all sorts of shit now, and they really can only blame themselves...

Source?

There's nothing on that Twitter page. Looks incredibly fake.

Oh shit turns out i was fooled. Really these people are all like "It's April Fools in Japan so it counts". And here i was thinking it was still March 31st. Sorry guys got caught in a mess. Sorry for wasting your time.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh come on Shadz, you're actually bothering with a kotaku article? tongue.png

I'll wait for an actual credible source.

Oh come on Shadz, you're actually bothering with a kotaku article? tongue.png

I'll wait for an actual credible source.

Appologies for the Kotaku article, but it's not actually Kotaku's news. The original source of the info is a Japanese radio show. 

Appologies for the Kotaku article, but it's not actually Kotaku's news. The original source of the info is a Japanese radio show. 

Oh, well i guess that's fine then. We'll see.

Oh, well i guess that's fine then. We'll see.

Found another article.

Square Enix preparing to release new Final Fantasy Versus XIII info

"I'm sorry it's overdue, please wait just a little more," says game director

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/401465/square-enix-preparing-to-release-new-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-info/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS