Awoo.

Should Resident Evil be rebooted?

Stacy

I am going to be honest I didn't hate Resident Evil 6 but I did feel the series in its current form has gone as far as it can go and I think that the series should get rebooted.

Now before you reject the notion hear me out first. I would like the series to be rebooted but return to its roots of sorts less emphasis on action and more focus on suspense, puzzles, atmosphere and horror with the occasional action orientated parts like Resident Evil 4 but without the over emphasis that 6 had.

I would also like to play some new lead characters and encounter some new villains, as much as I like Leon, Claire  Jill and Chris I think we have gone as far as we could go with them at least in their current form.

I don't know, what do you guys think continue as normal or start afresh but go back to the roots of the game series.smile.png

Remember how Resident Evil 4 dropped Raccoon City, dropped Umbrella, dropped the zombies, dropped the tank-like gameplay, and by god it was a breath of fresh air the series badly needed and one of the best games I've played?

That may not have been a reboot, but it was exactly what the series needed.

...and then Capcom succumbed to Capcom and Capcom Sequel'd the hell out of Resident Evil 4 until they were right back where they started. I say the series desperately does need a reboot or a shake-up, but with Capcom at the helm it'll only be a temporary fix at best.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure what they could do...

They should make Resident Evil 4 again.

I liked that game.

When the games industry reboots games do you know what happens?

Pretentious gritty sex-driven lots of rain and blood and swearing and dark visuals and mud on clothes and dramatic emotion things with crying and never having a subtitle only having the original game's name but in ALL CAPS or some weird stylised abbreviation.

But... Resident Evil does (most of) those things with every new title. Every game is a grimdark reboot!

WE'RE DOOMED! The only way to reboot Resident Evil is to make it more harmless than Pokémon.

Eureka.

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is super cheap and I'm extremely tempted to buy it, is it worth it?

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is super cheap and I'm extremely tempted to buy it, is it worth it?

Yeah, unless you have a PSMove it's the definitive version of a very good game (because for once the motion controls actually really add to the experience)

I don't even like RE but RE4 is good stuff man.

I wish they went back to the style of re 1 2 and 3, for me re4 ruined the series, i know a lot of people like that game but not me...

I think a lot of people can agree that RE4 did really good things for the games industry, but really bad things for the RE series.

It's amazing and imo deserves most of its praise, however its success set the series down a path of action adventure that most of the series' loyal fans never wanted.

Edited by SuperLink

I think a lot of people can agree that RE4 did really good things for the games industry, but really bad things for the RE series.

It's amazing and imo deserves most of its praise, however its success set the series down a path of action adventure that most of the series' loyal fans never wanted.

RE4 didn't do bad things for the series, the incomprehensible  poorly designed, poorly rehashed, barely thought out half assed turds Capcom churned out afterwards, that we call RE5, 6 and everything in between did bad things for the series.  

The only thing RE4 did for the series was be the best fucking action game ever made. Which is an achievement consider how ass RE had been up to that point since like Resi 2. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I admit if wasn't for Resident Evil 4 I wouldn't have got into the series and probably wouldn't got into the older games in the series. Resident Evil 4 is my favourite followed by Resident Evil 2.smile.png

I also find Resident Evil 4 the black sheep of the series in that is nothing like the games before or after it. You could say Resident Evil 5 is similar but I find that it is only in gameplay but its story and setting is quite different from 4. I mean 4 is more Resident Evil than Biohazard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been a Resident Evil fan since the original was released on the PS1 and have played every major title in the series. The series NEEDED a reboot.

Resident Evil 3, Code Veronica and Zero were all very good games, i did enjoy them but the gameplay had become extremely stale. They needed to change the series, did they have to go down the action route? Maybe not but it worked, Resident Evil 4 was huge and for me got the the horror/action balance near enough perfect. The groaning Regenerators scared me like crazy! Resident Evil 5 for me, was pretty terrible. It wasn't scary, had a poor story and the setting just didn't work.

Personally i think they need to kill off one of the main characters. Hopefully not Leon, get rid of Chris. He's got nothing original going for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Asking if buying Resident Evil 4 is worth it is kind of like asking if breathing is worth it. 

I find it hard to explain fully in words how much playing Resident Evil 4 is. Even with the aid of modern dictionaries and thesaurus technology, and implementing googles animated gif search, I'm still at a loss as to how to express the exhilaration and fun I had playing this game the first 6 or so times I ran through it. If I had to use a word the only one that comes close is cromulent, but in this scenario an awkwardly worded metaphor is probably better. 

Resident Evil 4 is kind of like waking up an refreshing cool spring morning after spending the night sleeping on silk sheets. A warm/cool (pick your preference) breeze gently blowing across your delicately smooth skin as a beautiful man/woman wearing nothing like/but an apron walks in and serves you breakfast in bed.

I like to eat pancakes, but in this scenario you can substitute Bacon, Eggs, Toast, or Kellogg's Crunchy Nut.

Except the reality is it's more like being in the shitty freezing cold muddy parts of europe and being served thrown pickaxes by zombie farmers as you fun away from a boulder, leap out a window, roundhouse kick one guy in the face, suplex another, knife fight a Red Beret (note,

) whilst you play Tetris and buy some weird shit from the weird guy on the street corner who seems to know who I am despite the fact I never gave him by name nd I moved house this year so I'm not sure why he keeps licking his lips, before ultimately being decapitated by a man wearing a burlap sack.

Look at this motherfucking shit

ibx4GiTvqseVy4.gif tumblr_m2eq1a7iGG1qb9a09o1_500.gifibx4GiTvqseVy4.gif

It is the most testosterone infused, invigorating, exciting game I think I've ever played, remaining consistently surprising, entertaining, challenging and fun throughout all  it's chapters and not a single game since it's release has managed to meet the lofty heights set by this game back in 2005. Dead Space was practically founded in an attempt to recreate whatever sorcery lead to the masterpiece that is RE4 but unfortunately they forgot to add in the parts that made the game fun or interesting. It's a once in a lifetime type of game. I've played it like 12 times end to end and I'm still not tired of it. Even after finishing the ridiculously fun mercenaries minigame with perfect scores. 

It's like every good horror/action movie stitched into one, starring a fusion of Leonardo DiCaprio and Arnold Schwarzenegger. It has guns up the ass, enemies up the ass, kungfu,  I really doubt any developer alive will hit a perfect storm of fantastic game design ever again. Unless Mikami decides to try for once. 

And anyone that tells you otherwise is a fool or probably got stuck at the boulder. 

• Thumbs Up 3

RE4 didn't do bad things for the series, the incomprehensible  poorly designed, poorly rehashed, barely thought out half assed turds Capcom churned out afterwards, that we call RE5, 6 and everything in between did bad things for the series.  

The only thing RE4 did for the series was be the best fucking action game ever made. Which is an achievement consider how ass RE had been up to that point since like Resi 2. 

The fact that you call all post RES 4 games poorly designed and all pre-Resi 4 games ass, makes that RES 4 is the only game you like out of the entire series, lol.

The fact that you call all post RES 4 games poorly designed and all pre-Resi 4 games ass, makes that RES 4 is the only game you like out of the entire series, lol.

You're kidding right? my dad practically raised me by playing Resi1-CV with me. 1&2 are some of my favourite games ever, this doesn't go to change the fact that 4 is a goddamn fucking masterwork.

You haven't experienced real sexual satisfaction until you've suplexed a monk in RE4. 

Resident-Evil-Revelations-Wii-U.jpg 
Buy this game. You could see it as a reboot since it goes back to the classic Resident Evil styled gameplay. It's scary and you actually have a sense of survival. The 3DS version got highly praising reviews so may as well buy the console version.

RER_08200_640screen.jpg

RER1_32764_640screen.jpg
RER4_42464_640screen.jpg

It's available on every platform besides the PSVita.

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Revelations-Playstation-3/dp/B00B59L9T6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363824186&sr=8-2&keywords=Resident+Evil+Revelations

$39.99 Wii U (Exclusive modes, features, etc + CHEAPEST console version)

$19.99 3DS (Original)

$49.99 PS360

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 3

Buy this game. You could see it as a reboot since it goes back to the classic Resident Evil styled gameplay. It's scary and you actually have a sense of survival. The 3DS version got highly praising reviews so may as well buy the console version.

It's available on every platform besides the PSVita.

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Revelations-Playstation-3/dp/B00B59L9T6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363824186&sr=8-2&keywords=Resident+Evil+Revelations

$39.99 Wii U (Exclusive modes, features, etc + CHEAPEST console version)

$19.99 3DS (Original)

$49.99 PS360

Alternatively, instead of playing with pretenders to the crown you roll with the king.

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000P46NKC

Alternatively, instead of playing with pretenders to the crown you roll with the king.

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000P46NKC

But isn't the point of the thread to express disappointment with how the series went crap after RE4? Buying RE4 probably won't really change your mind. Buying an HD, more up-to-date game sounds like a better solution. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah no one's denying that RE4 is the bee's knees, but Revelations really does a whole lot right where RE5 and 6 (and other titles which shall not be named) didn't.

Revelations is, to a lot of people, the best RE since 4 by far. Some even prefer it to 4.

So yeah it's pretty good and I think it's worth supporting with your money if you want Capcom to go the right direction with the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the mainstay characters are, by this point, too skilled and experienced be very suitable survival-horror protagonists anymore.

New games in the same universe should have new characters. Ones that aren't hong kong action heroes from the get-go, though.

I will fully confess to not knowing a great deal about the RE series, but everything I've heard leads me to the conclusion that the series needs a soft reboot.  That is, don't actually erase, undo, or rewind past events in the series, just... push them to one side.  Don't contradict them, but don't make understanding them vital to the plot either.  And then use this relatively clean slate to give the series a bit more freedom in its plotting without getting tangled up in the past too much.

I enjoyed Revelations a lot, but my one complaint was the way it was broken up into multiple different locations that you kept on shuffling between.  I'd have preferred to be on the one enormous labyrinthine ship the whole game rather than having these smaller linear areas set somewhere different popping up - not least because they quite often boiled down to relatively mindless shooting sequences.  That said, I can see that there's an argument to be made in their favour about a change of pace and a change of scenery now and then, but perhaps that means that a more varied setting should have been used in the first place?  Not to mention the fact that it was difficult to care about some of the characters involved; again, a bit more focus, perhaps.  We learn to care about and identify with the avatar we're assigned for most of the game, so if we switch to a different one for a five-minute sequence then it's tricky to get interested, essentially as you've just been interrupted in completing a longer-term objective.  Or so I find it, anyway.