Awoo.

Press Start Bonus Levels/Adventures

Tani Coyote

So, has anyone seen this series? It's been around for a few years and consists of humorous flash shorts and two live action movies. While it has its own original plot involving Count Vile trying his best to take over/maintain control of the planet, there are plenty of references to video games (the main cast consist almost entirely of parodies, such as Buzz Porcupine and Plumber Pete, who ironically tend to get sent on missions together). Some prominent actors voice act in it as well; Lord Vlad is one of the supporting villains and he's voiced by none other than David Humphrey, Shadow the Hedgehog's debut voice actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCzcds-eczU

This was the first episode of the series I found while looking for anything else Mr. Humphrey did in his spare time.

Overall it's an amusing little series, chock full of references and comedy (Sonic gets quite a few parodies, including the Werehog and Amy), getting better and more amusing as it goes on. I've yet to see the live action movie, but I recall it was given quite a few awards for being an independent film. There's several live action clips to the cartoon as well to give an example of what the movie would look like; these are also fairly funny as they involve Count Vile's actor acting out ludicrous situations in person.

The plot of the entire series consists of, in order: Press Start: Bonus Levels; Press Start the Movie; Press Start Adventures; and the second Press Start movie.

I've seen the first movie and I'm aware David Humphrey plays a character in the flash shorts. That's as far as my knowledge of this series extends, unfortunately.

I've seen the first movie and I'm aware David Humphrey plays a character in the flash shorts. That's as far as my knowledge of this series extends, unfortunately.

What did you think of the movie? I heard that it's considered fairly good for its low budget, especially due to the comedy elements. Would you recommend I pick it up perchance?

===

Needless to say I was quite ecstatic that Lord Vlad got more of a role in Season 2; it's not him voicing Shadow again but hey, I'll take what I can get. I always liked David's voice.

I liked the movie a lot. I felt some of the humor was kinda retreading very old ground (like joking about the fact that RPG characters take turns attacking), but I generally really enjoyed it. The only reason I haven't seen the sequel yet is because I'm waiting for the chance to see it with the same friends I watched the original with all those years ago.

I really liked the conversations with

the NPCs that say the same exact thing over and over.

Edited by XD375

I liked the movie a lot. I felt some of the humor was kinda retreading very old ground (like joking about the fact that RPG characters take turns attacking), but I generally really enjoyed it. The only reason I haven't seen the sequel yet is because I'm waiting for the chance to see it with the same friends I watched the original with all those years ago.

I really liked the conversations with

the NPCs that say the same exact thing over and over.

Sounds like it'd be a fun movie! Perhaps I'll get it some time.

I'd suggest watching Press Start Adventures before watching Press Start 2, since it bridges the gap between them and thus will avoid some confusion. Whereas Press Start 1 can be seen on its own without Bonus Levels, I presume 2 will make a lot more sense if you see the animated series between the two films.

Here's hoping there's some CGI of Buzz Porcupine in it. Unlikely but a man can dream.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I'd definitely suggest the movie, especially since you like the flash cartoons.

(Oh, and can you fix the spoiler tag error in the quote? I'm sorry, I make that mistake a lot. ^^)

I'd definitely suggest the movie, especially since you like the flash cartoons.

(Oh, and can you fix the spoiler tag error in the quote? I'm sorry, I make that mistake a lot. ^^)

Fixed!

I also see David Humphrey's in the second movie... man I'm easy to get sold.

Really this just looks light a delightfully hammy film that doesn't take itself too seriously and isn't too expensive either. I just got Wreck It Ralph so probably need to take it easy on DVD purchases but I suppose my friend and I need a new movie to watch. I'll be looking into it sometime next month.

• Thumbs Up 1

David Humphrey is actually in the second movie? I need to see this.

Well, it looks like he just voices a CGI model of Vlad, but hey, it's better than nothing else.

Would be neat to see him in live action, though... last time I saw him in such he was singing about sunshine hitting the meadows. Was really freaky.

Vlad can be seen at the very end of the second movie's trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ioJZCjXUo

That the plot device is a chaos emeraldgem that fits in the palm of your hands of infinite power almost makes me wonder if it's another Sonic reference.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1