Awoo.

DuckTales Remastered - XBLA/PSN/WiiU/PC, Developed by WayForward

Carbo

Really, none of the negative/mixed review are from trustworthy sites.

Can't really rely on that excuse whenever the game gets a not so great review, im sure you'd think diffrentley if the reviews were positive.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm just looking forward to playing a new 2.5d game. Has anyone here played the original? I haven't, so i'm approachng this game completely fresh.

I hope it's as enjoyable as Rayman Origins (although I appreciate it's a different type of game).

As for the reviews, obviously it's not for everyone, but looks like it's getting mostly positive scores which is a good sign.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

Well, the very core of Ducktails Remastered is a almost 20 year old NES game and the original wasn't the easiest game out there ether, so this remaster being paned by some sites is not unreasonable; they ether never played the original game or just used the classic pogo controls (as this remaster has the option to use the pogo jump by just holding a button rather than holding a button and down on the d-pad).

Still, even if the reviews are mixed, the game itself looks to be a love letter to not just fans of the original game but retro gaming as a whole, and you could see the amount of love/effort was put into the remaster (beautiful character sprites, really well done versions of the original level themes, the TV show cast lending there voices to the story, ect), so I consider it a solid game from what I've seen of it :)

Then again, I don't lessen to reviewers after them panning otherwise solid Sonic games over the years (Unleashed HD was not worse than Sonic 06 IGN angry.png), I'm probley wrong with this thinking :).

So, a main issue with these reviewers is that the difficulty is either "cruel" on Normal or "too easy" on Easy.

Fuck.this.era.

So, a main issue with these reviewers is that the difficulty is either "cruel" on Normal or "too easy" on Easy.

Fuck.this.era.

Wasn't the original NES game difficult? If it was, then these reviewers should have put that into consideration as Remastered copy's almost all of the original Ducktails level design and it being re-arranged to make them longer could make the game even more challenging than the original. Still, it was a NES game and most of those games at the time Ducktails came out were VERY difficult (Mega Man and Castilevana come to mind) so difficulty and NES games kind of go hand-to-hand with one another.

I think that this Remaster might be more difficult because they wanted to lengthen the game; the original could be beat in under an hour and with this being charged 12-15 bucks (and with other games on the market being twice as long), WayFoward I guess felt that they had to make the game harder to make it longer (like Castlevanna 2's dragged out RPG machanics made the game twice as long as the original game).

Wasn't the original NES game difficult? If it was, then these reviewers should have put that into consideration as Remastered copy's almost all of the original Ducktails level design and it being re-arranged to make them longer could make the game even more challenging than the original. Still, it was a NES game and most of those games at the time Ducktails came out were VERY difficult (Mega Man and Castilevana come to mind) so difficulty and NES games kind of go hand-to-hand with one another.

I think that this Remaster might be more difficult because they wanted to lengthen the game; the original could be beat in under an hour and with this being charged 12-15 bucks (and with other games on the market being twice as long), WayFoward I guess felt that they had to make the game harder to make it longer (like Castlevanna 2's dragged out RPG machanics made the game twice as long as the original game).

Actually, the original is extremely easy. It IS a kids game after all.

One thing I really don't understand is the fact that it gets panned for it's level design, platforming and difficulty. I get that it's a old game, but seriously, this isn't a game like Metroid that aged horribly, it aged really well, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I've read something like "THe original DuckTales still holds up very well today" countless times - even on professional sites - and suddenly, if you give this exact game a new coat of paint and slightly, no, barely altered levels, it suddenly doesn't hold up anymore? I don't get it, I simply don't.

One thing I really don't understand is the fact that it gets panned for it's level design, platforming and difficulty. I get that it's a old game, but seriously, this isn't a game like Metroid that aged horribly, it aged really well, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I've read something like "THe original DuckTales still holds up very well today" countless times - even on professional sites - and suddenly, if you give this exact game a new coat of paint and slightly, no, barely altered levels, it suddenly doesn't hold up anymore? I don't get it, I simply don't.

If this is the case, I can't help but wonder what the scores for this new DuckTales game would be/would have been if it was a port, rather than a faithful remake.

Edited by Yeow

I guess the reviewers just didn't like the remake :(

The original and its sequel aged very well, but nobody thought that the original was going to be getting a fully fleshed out remake, making many overly excited about the game; Sega's Castle of Illusion was also a great game and its also getting a remaster (or remake would be a better term with it having much more 'new' stuff) to and there is little excitement over that. 

I guess people see Ducktails Remaster as a reminder of a great time where Capcom wasn't known for DLC scams and running beloved franchises but as a company that made some truly remarkable games, and Ducktails was one of those first classic games they made. This remaster might have been a nice reminder of a grander time from Capcom's history, but then they remember all the stupid stuff they have done recently, and then remember that Ducktails wasn't a perfect game, and then they pan it. Just a thought I guess unsure.png.

well those reviewers are forgetting the fact the original did use the original MEGAMAN engine, and boy those classic megamans were HARD

Feeling down about all the mixed review scores? Then prepare to turn that frown upside down, and listen to this... IT'S ONLY THE MOTHERDUCKING MOON THEME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sgNFH3OiJg

My god...that's beautiful blink.png.

WayFoward did a really good job with the soundtrack if this is any indication biggrin.png.

Honestly, all i get from those reviews is "Bwah, Bwah, Game is hard and i can't beat it. If i can't beat it it's because the game is bad".  It's not like games are supposed to be challenging or anythingsleep.png

Tom Mc Shea (Gamespot reviewer) makes an article based on his review

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/smothered-by-nostalgia-6412789/

That's right Tom, keep making your so called "articles" to try to fool people into thinking you're smart.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was living off of both nostalgia(Like all Marios do) and expanding on what its predecessor did, and yet you called innovative and gave it a perfect 10.

Screw you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom Mc Shea (Gamespot reviewer) makes an article based on his review

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/smothered-by-nostalgia-6412789/

Its cool that he explains himself for the low review score, but his points are stupid; sure Ducktails Remastered is a nostalgia trip through and through, but the original was a dam good game and its utter quality was the reason its legacy as one of the best NES games was made. The gameplay in Remastered my have been unchanged from the original, but its not a remake, its a "remaster" of the original, so of course its not going to change things up much because its just preserving the core gameplay of the original and polishing it up (cutscenes, new sprites, voice actors, ect).

That's right Tom, keep making your so called "articles" to try to fool people into thinking you're smart.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was living off of both nostalgia(Like all Marios do) and expanding on what its predecessor did, and yet you called innovative and gave it a perfect 10.

Screw you.

That just makes his argument even more stupid; he's a dam hypocrite and most likely wanted GameSpot to get more views by having the first "bad" review of the game angry.png.

But there are a list of things that DuckTales: Remastered gets wrong, not only in some of the liberties WayForward decided to take, but in the reality of what Capcom’s DuckTales has always been. The fact is, DuckTales is still a great NES game – I went back and played it for roughly the millionth time when reviewing Remastered just to be sure – but it doesn’t fully translate to the 21st century, and frankly, it’s just not as epic as we remember. While Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, and Mario fully stand the test of time, DuckTales doesn’t. That means DuckTales: Remastered is fighting with deficiencies inherent in the original.

.......The fuck does that even mean?

But he also called it a great NES game so apparently the NES version is superior because it's on the NES.

I mean, the score is fine. A 7 is fine. It's the wording of the review I don't get

• Thumbs Up 1

But he also called it a great NES game so apparently the NES version is superior because it's on the NES.

I mean, the score is fine. A 7 is fine. It's the wording of the review I don't get

I think what he means is that it is a great NES game in its own right for the time, while the remaster isn't? It is sort of like how a game can be considered great at the time (Ocarina, Sonic Adventure, etc.) but decades later it is called into question.