Awoo.

Forgotten gems in Sonic soundtracks?

Kamakai

Fucking Aquatic Time.

This beat is fucking sick, that's all there is to it.

BTW, im absolutely ashamed that I'm entering this topic so late, expect a huge ass post of musical awesome later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed: Temple Music only appeared in one cut scene 

*video*

Yeah, and you don't even hear much of it! It's used for the Gaia Gates in the PS2/Wii version, where you get to hear the whole thing. It's lovely, but so easily missed if you don't have those versions.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0cIoMTeH0

In a perfect game, this track could have conceivably served as the backdrop for some incredibly ramped up stakes. It would have easily served as a somewhat despair coated track with a semblance of hope imbued into it. I could easily imagine this music setting the scene for what would be my favorite moment in a game.

Sonic 06 is far from a perfect game unfortunately, but the track sticks out all the same.

Just imagining this track be put as the background music for the final bout of a hero's journey is actively inspiring to me, mostly because it strikes the perfect balance of melody, otherworldly effects and foreboding atmosphere to it. It speaks volumes in how subtle it is. It proves that a track doesn't need to be heavy or edgy to serve as the backdrop for the final showdown. The track just leaves the scenario up to your imagination; what awaits at the end? Is it a happy ending or is it even worth going for?

Of course Sonic 06 doesn't play with that idea to make the music justice and I'm disappointed that it doesn't. But it's a track that I nonetheless am able to kick back and appreciate if I'm just imagining things. I'm probably not the only one who loves just coming up with game ideas in my head or scenarios, and this is the kind of track that makes me think and imagine. Along with it's second phase version, what if you had a well written story with many twists and turns, alternate endings or requirements that would build up to a sort of "final path" where you're either faced thinking "is this the path worth taking", or "it's all led up to this"? It'd be pretty awesome. The track reminds me a lot of the soundtrack for Virtue's Last Reward, which is a huge plus to me.

I was originally going to come here and rave about the Sonic CD US soundtrack for obvious reasons but I think I'll save that for another time.

It is impossible for me to agree any more with this, than I already do.

I love this piece of music SO much. Its got everything you want to build an atmosphere. I really want to see this kind of atmospheric music in Sonic games alongside the more upbeat, fast-paced tracks that we always get.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aquatic Base's themes, and both of them at that, are absolutely perfect "calm before the storm" themes. I'd like to see more final levels with a before the storm feel, where it gets ramped up for the final boss.

And Egg Wyvern's music does that "storm" part wonderfully, btw.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of 06, New City's theme is positively funky.

Man so much good music wasted on this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0cIoMTeH0

In a perfect game, this track could have conceivably served as the backdrop for some incredibly ramped up stakes. It would have easily served as a somewhat despair coated track with a semblance of hope imbued into it. I could easily imagine this music setting the scene for what would be my favorite moment in a game.

Sonic 06 is far from a perfect game unfortunately, but the track sticks out all the same.

Just imagining this track be put as the background music for the final bout of a hero's journey is actively inspiring to me, mostly because it strikes the perfect balance of melody, otherworldly effects and foreboding atmosphere to it. It speaks volumes in how subtle it is. It proves that a track doesn't need to be heavy or edgy to serve as the backdrop for the final showdown. The track just leaves the scenario up to your imagination; what awaits at the end? Is it a happy ending or is it even worth going for?

Of course Sonic 06 doesn't play with that idea to make the music justice and I'm disappointed that it doesn't. But it's a track that I nonetheless am able to kick back and appreciate if I'm just imagining things. I'm probably not the only one who loves just coming up with game ideas in my head or scenarios, and this is the kind of track that makes me think and imagine. Along with it's second phase version, what if you had a well written story with many twists and turns, alternate endings or requirements that would build up to a sort of "final path" where you're either faced thinking "is this the path worth taking", or "it's all led up to this"? It'd be pretty awesome. The track reminds me a lot of the soundtrack for Virtue's Last Reward, which is a huge plus to me.

I was originally going to come here and rave about the Sonic CD US soundtrack for obvious reasons but I think I'll save that for another time.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And no, you're not the only one who likes to think up game ideas. I do it all the freakin' time.

I dont know if it's been posted because I'm to lazy to look, but Casio Park is amazing IMO.

Also, I know this does not really fit but enjoy...

How could we have forgotten the greatness that is this:

Probably because it was immediately followed by this:

Which I remain convinced was the basis for this:

Sea Gate, holy shit Sea Gate. It's like the melancholy awesome version of Seaside Hill. Why Classic's version in Generations wasn't a remix of this I don't know.
  • Thumbs Up 2

and tell me I wasn't the only one that could spend ages reading those comics with this playing in the background...

Eeeeyup, I still have fond memories of coming across some Sonic comics with that in the background. I really liked that about Mega Collection... it had snippets of most other Sonic media so you could determine if you were interested or not. I wouldn't actually get off my butt to collect the comics until years later, but this was one of those things that definitely helped motivate me.

I know this is a bit of a weirder one, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ir82xzu4_I

...It's impossible for me to not be happy when I listen to this music.

I think it's also important to note that this song actually plays for over two minutes before it loops. Most people have never listened to more than the first twenty seconds, so it seems no one knows about the turn for the odd the music takes around 1:40.

Edited by Unknownlight
  • Thumbs Up 9

Lot of effort went into a relatively obscure track there, I see.  

I've felt like the bonus stage music from Sonic & Knuckles gets overlooked among the level themes:

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's another little gem I discovered in SRA:

Personal Favorite track in the game along with Act 2.

Edited by FireBird75
  • Thumbs Up 2

People tend to like New City more, but I like the nostalgic feel this one has, especially the part that starts a minute in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a fan of the soundtrack for Sonic Heroes. However, there were one or two really nice tracks. I think Frog Forest (Stage 9) was a little gem:

Edited by -Bender-

Of all the songs in Secret Rings, and in the Sonic series, this great peice of music is barely talked about.

MUSTARD THROWN AWAY

WILL I EVER WAKE

But yeah, this is great. Seriously, dem drums.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Advance 3 is FULL of awesome music, many of which have already been posted, but honestly this one deserves to be posted for the mini-intro section alone.

Twinkle Snow gets repped in general as being good, but Act 3 is beautiful with the fantastic building ten second intro, then a fast paced mix of the rest of it.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Shadow The Hedgehog's The Doom.

For a soundtrack full of rock, metal and heavy techno I'm surprised it doesn't get as much recognition. The chord progression is gorgeous as well as the EP and sine roll accompaniment, complimented with a delicious coupling of sweep strings. Easily my favorite from the game but holy christ was the stage annoying as hell. I spent a longer time playing it than learning the chords on my keyboard at the time.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've gushed about this song before and I will again:

is my favorite level theme from the series. Very jazzy and somewhat urban, and even though I despise this stage in CD, I would often use level select to play in the past zones just to hear this song in-game. I don't see WW Past pop up on a lot of favorites list so I figure it's obscure enough to mention here. I'd list more but I feel like there are other "favorite song" threads floating around here where I've already mentioned them.
  • Thumbs Up 5

From a mostly forgotten Sonic game that was probably doomed from the start due to it being on a failure of an add-on, this track is pretty awesome, one of my favorite special stage music themes in the series.

I mentioned this in the Unleashed VS Colours topic--and for all I know someone mentioned it already in this topic, too--but the map themes in Colours are really good, especially for music you probably wouldn't listen to for longer than a few seconds when playing the actual game.

Also a lot of the music in the Game Gear games, which are under-appreciated due to ... being in the Game Gear games. :V I really love the boss music in Sonic 2 GG, for one. Bad memories of that damned first boss and all!

http://youtu.be/nRqeuLcfQPE

• Thumbs Up 1