Awoo.

Forgotten gems in Sonic soundtracks?

Kamakai

Gotta give a shout-out to some of the Game Gear games. Even the shitty ones like Sonic Blast have an awesome soundtrack.

XtremerSadiq above me already covered Green Hill Zone, but I always loved Yellow Desert Zone from Sonic Blast as well.

Some other under-appreciated favorites of mine are

(Sonic 2), Atomic Destroyer (Sonic Triple Trouble),
(Sonic Triple Trouble), Mecha Green Hill Zone (Sonic Chaos), and Aqua Planet Zone (Sonic Chaos - Game Gear ver.).

Also, I absolutely love the music from later in the game in Sonic Spinball. A lot of people don't really know any of the songs past Toxic Caves or Lava Powerhouse, and I can't blame them; that game is ridiculously difficult. However, I think the music for the last level, "Showdown", is amazing and one of the catchiest tunes ever. It has a much darker and grungier vibe to it than your average Sonic tune (especially from the early '90s), but damn do I love it.

Gotta give some love to the reason Savannah Citadel's theme is what it is. :3

Love this track. As a result, I love Savannah Citadel as well. xD

I'd love to hear a classic Savannah Citadel that tries to sound a little more like this track. It'd be like a remix of a remix.

Adding to the love for the Game Gear games going on, especially for Sonic Chaos in particular, I'd love to throw Gigalopolis's Game Gear version music in:

Seriously, this track's pretty funky considering the pretty bland level it's in. Really draws you in at the start, holds you there, then draws you back in again when it kicks back around to the looping point. Makes a really boring level with spring chains and passive enemies quite the bit more enjoyable! I'd also like to give mention to the Classic remix of it by NicoCW, which really kicks the energy of the track into overtime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bWTbaHpiLk

That beautiful reprise of the main part of the tune, man.

It's not that Sonic Adventure has an under-rated soundtrack, it's quite popular.

It's just that I never see any love for this particular track.

This is the song that made little five year old Mykonos really pay attention to the music in his gosh-danged amazing Sonic Adventure video game. I love this track so much, it's just so different. It's a great climatic yet catchy piece for Gamma's story and just feels...off, much like Beta. I really have a hard time explaining why I love this so much because I can't put it into words. I just know I love it.

• Thumbs Up 9

Not sure if this has been posted, I don't really want to go through 6 pages right now. But THIS:

EASILY one of my all-time favorite Sonic tracks, and I almost never hear it get talked about save for threads like this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ink Blotch is definitely one of the best songs from the Game Boy Advance. Everything is so good and perfect for that final battle between Sonic and Ultimate Emerl.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow the Hedgehog Lost Track "Broken"

This is a song by Sins of a Divine Mother. Jun Senoue wanted to use this song in Shadow, but due to the fact that they were unable to track down the singer to get permission to use the song, it was replaced with "Chosen One" in the final game.  This would've been much more sweeter for Shadow than The Chosen One had it been included in my opinion.

Lyrics:

~LYRICS~

Don't wanna feel like
Don't wanna think like
Don't wanna live
Like someone else
Wanna feel like
Just wanna think like
Just
wanna be like
Everyone else

Couldn't walk away from something
broken
Tried to find away to make it good again
Only you can make a
difference darling
Always

Don't wanna sing like
Don't wanna dream
Don't wanna act like
Like someone else
Wanna feel life
Just
wanna live life
Just wanna live life
As someone else

Couldn't walk
away from something broken
Only
you can make a difference darling
Always

Won't someone help me (I'm
feeling down)
Won't someone help me (Yeah I'm falling down)
Won't someone
help me (Yeah I'm already down)
Down

broken
Only you can make a
difference darling
Always

broken
Only you can make a
difference darling
Always

I found much of the hub music in Unleashed to be really generic and bland, but this is just so foreboding it's fantastic.

*Shamar Night*

I found much of the hub music in Unleashed to be really generic and bland, but this is just so foreboding it's fantastic.

Foreboding? Are we listening to the same track? I'd describe this one as fairly uplifting and happy sounding whilst also quite chilled. Foreboding it is not. 

Edited by Blue Blood

Foreboding? Are we listening to the same track? I'd describe this one as fairly uplifting and happy sounding whilst also quite chilled. Foreboding it is not. 

I think it sounds a little bit like Jungle Joyride Night until it climaxes, and JJN is very foreboding.

I think it sounds a little bit like Jungle Joyride Night until it climaxes, and JJN is very foreboding.

JJN is foreboding no doubt, but this? Not in the slightest. That would just be one of the absolute last words I'd ever use to describe it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who could ever forget this little ball of ear sex

I seriously want it remixed in a game.

Aw, you beat me to it! This and Diamond Dust Zone are my favorites.

Not sure if it was confirmed but I think Tails' theme in SA is based on Bridge Zone. You can hear the similarity in the "I wanna fly high" parts.

It's only a short loop, but I like the tune that plays on the "NO WAY? NO WAY!" screen:

This song is quite fitting to the gif in my signature. Also, what is with Knuckles' winking?

Edited by Guest

Aw, you beat me to it! This and Diamond Dust Zone are my favorites.

Not sure if it was confirmed but I think Tails' theme in SA is based on Bridge Zone. You can hear the similarity in the "I wanna fly high" parts

Oh yes I've noticed those parts and I doubt they're just coincidence. It's sort of like how you can hear Green Hill Zone in Dreams of an Absolution.

• Thumbs Up 1

This. It's a beautiful piece of work. Very calm and relaxing. part of the reason I love to sit down and just look at the Character Bio's, trophies, and artwork in generations. I feel like it's always pushed to the side because of the Door Into Summer remix, which is also a amazing song in itself. 

• Thumbs Up 3

About the Believe on My Bridge Zone thing, their choruses do share a similar chord progression and melody. I'm actually quite surprised, I expected to write a ranty post about how different they are. The rest of the songs don't really click together, though. However, I want to talk about my favorite underated track from a well-known soundtrack... And that is.... Apotos Town, both Day and Night. The melody is very solid, and the instruments chosen is minimal yet very fitting. I also love the chord progression and how atmospheric the two themes sound overall - listened to it all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

most underrated sonic r song ever. I love this one. :D

WAY MORE awesome than the whole genesis s3d soundtrack. never liked the genesis one...

• Thumbs Up 1

[youtube]

[/youtube]

This is in my top 3 favorite songs of Sonic R, along with Number One and Super Sonic Racing. Decent instruments, combined with feel good lyrics( holds the same for every song in the game), makes me hold this song in high regard. Don't know why, but I I just love the lyric of " so take me back in time, to another world".

So wonderfully upbeat like a number of tracks in Rush Adventure's soundtrack.  I remember I had a fair bit of fun with the Waterbike sections partially because of this track.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say some forgotten gems in Sonic history include the music for the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast. It was amazingly done, and I enjoyed listening to it. I especially liked the special stage music in that version.

• Thumbs Up 2

These are my two favourite music pieces in Sonic:

and

Quarts Quadrant is brilliant simply because of the music.

• Thumbs Up 2

This one is just so much fun. The Generations remix is absolutely phenomenal as well, but have the original one from the multiplayer.  :)

WAY MORE awesome than the whole genesis s3d soundtrack. never liked the genesis one...

I was just about to share this one as well, and I totally agree that this version is far superior. It just fits the snowy/icy mood a lot better than the Genesis version and it always puts the biggest smile on my face.

And while we are on the subject of 3D Blast...

I love this track the same reason I love Sonic 2's special stage theme; they both feel genuinely fast and its virtually impossible to listen to them while standing still.

Plus, the organ glissando at the beginning is absolutely orgamic

Edited by The Pit of Mystic Cave
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't know if it's been posted because I can't read all 7 pages, but the credits music from Sonic 3 is great and more or less forgotten (because who plays without S&K added now?).

It's also no secret the music sounds like Stranger in Moscow.

Edited by SkyLlama
  • Thumbs Up 1