Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Generations Mod Project

goku262002

I've got this downloaded but haven't gotten around to installing and playing it yet. The thought of flawless 60fps and higher-res Unleashed stages with Generations' tight controls etc. just left me foaming at the mouth!

Congrats to all the guys who worked on this, it looks like an absolute treat!

I want that Dark Gaia Phase 2 remix, it's sexilicious.

https://soundcloud.com/falk-2/unleashed-project-trailer

Falk is the amazing composer behind the tracks in this mod. you may recongize his name being attached to the fangame(s) "Sonic: Before/After The Sequal".

Just giving a shoutout to him being because he thinks he doesn't have fans outside Retro.

• Thumbs Up 5

You have no idea how incredible it is to see a full playthrough of Adabat at a steady 60 FPS.

Major congrats to the guys who are responsible for this for all the hard work they put into it.

I ported the remix cos request! Ya can download it and use it! DL link in description!

Okay that said, I love this mod a lot really. So yeah, all of you NEED to try it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen so many videos on this mod and it's absolutely stunning. Everything is so pinpoint and perfect with the level design, camera angles, and music. Seriously, this is just incredible.

Unfortunately, I can't play it because I own the game on Xbox, not PC, so that hurts >_<

The mod is being downloaded as I write this post. I feel sorry for whoever doesn't have the PC version, they'll be missing a lot.

Merging the speedy gameplay and the spectacular and various stages from Sonic Unleashed with almost the best Sonic game graphics was extremely and literally a genius idea! It can safely be called  a 'port', now people who don't have a console to play Sonic Unleashed will be able to play it on PC with both enhanced picture quality and controls!

But there is a point that was mentioned on the mod's ModDB page which may be negative for some people, but also seems to have a solution:

Given our limited control over this engine and the poor optimization of the PC port, you're gonna need something better than the average requirements to play this smoothly the intended way. The reasons are that Sonic Unleashed pushes a lot more of stuff into the screen than Generations ever does, and it's not properly optimized for that. Some levels chug, some others will work better than Generations ever did, and Jungle Joyride will probably kill your framerate unless you have a decent CPU from the past 3 years.

If you're already struggling with Generations, don't hope for much better performance on this. We've provided an additional mod for lowering draw distances/terrain streaming/turning off effects, which can MASSIVELY improve performance in most levels, but it sacrifices a lot of the visual appeal.

Which means if you want to play the game to the fullest, you'll need a decent PC!

This mod has a chance of crashing on me whenever I encounter a loading screen, often requiring a force-restart rather than just closing the program. Because of this I haven't been able to play it as often as I'd like to.

Other than that this mod is some fantastic work and I adore all of the effort that went into its making. I just hope this is something they can iron out in a future patch because I never encountered any crashes in vanilla Generations.

By the way, I think this is better off in the main Sonic discussion forum. Showcase is reserved for the OP's own creations but other people's stuff can be talked about in the discussion, like fan games.

I'm liking this mod. :B I'm also finding it slightly harder than the 360 version for some reason. :/

Also, is anyone else getting weird blur effects on Sonic? I mean, if I so much as make one step it goes all blurry. Am I doing something wrong in the settings?

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, I think this is better off in the main Sonic discussion forum. Showcase is reserved for the OP's own creations but other people's stuff can be talked about in the discussion, like fan games.

I actually think so too, I knew the project was released but when I found it I wondered why it was there.

I'm liking this mod. :B I'm also finding it slightly harder than the 360 version for some reason. :/

Also, is anyone else getting weird blur effects on Sonic? I mean, if I so much as make one step it goes all blurry. Am I doing something wrong in the settings?

Well like they stated, sometimes this mod requires more than Sonic Generations did, so if Sonic Generations runs well for you, then this should be the problem.

Edited by Mysterious X

Just giving a shoutout to him being because he thinks he doesn't have fans outside Retro.

It was a joke. I'm really good at those apparently!

• Thumbs Up 8

Hey Falk! Welcome to SSMB. smile.png

This mod has a chance of crashing on me whenever I encounter a loading screen, often requiring a force-restart rather than just closing the program. Because of this I haven't been able to play it as often as I'd like to.

I went to Dario about that unusual problem and he would like to ask you something Sean:

I've heard the Low End mod might be causing more problems than I expected, which I might try to issue an update later to see if it fixes the issue. I'd need to know if he's using the Low End mod.

Edited by goku262002

I've heard the Low End mod might be causing more problems than I expected, which I might try to issue an update later to see if it fixes the issue. I'd need to know if he's using the Low End mod.

This is good news indeed.

Well like they stated, sometimes this mod requires more than Sonic Generations did, so if Sonic Generations runs well for you, then this should be the problem.

Generations runs absolutely fine on my laptop, but it is not a "gaming" lappy at all. :/ Ironically the one I use in the lab (which is not technically mine!) is much better suited to games! biggrin.png Anyways... thanks for this. It's not that big a deal, in the levels themselves it's not that noticeable but in the "not-so-white space" it is kinda silly to see Sonic's face go all blurry for just edging to the left or right. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Still this is very enjoyable, and it's let me play some of the levels I haven't got to in Unleashed yet! biggrin.png Thankies to the guys that made this!

Edited by MamboCat

Makes his first post ever on SSMB. Gets 4 likes right off the back.

Topic wise, I'm so jealous of the people that actually have Generations on PC with a decent computer. I wish i could play this mod. Unleashed in Higher res with the abilities of Generations. 

Generations runs absolutely fine on my laptop, but it is not a "gaming" lappy at all. :/ Ironically the one I use in the lab (which is not technically mine!) is much better suited to games! biggrin.png Anyways... thanks for this. It's not that big a deal, in the levels themselves it's not that noticeable but in the "not-so-white space" it is kinda silly to see Sonic's face go all blurry for just edging to the left or right. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Still this is very enjoyable, and it's let me play some of the levels I haven't got to in Unleashed yet! biggrin.png Thankies to the guys that made this!

Lab lap... Lab lap... I can say this forever. xD

It still needs hours for me to download it, looks like it will take until tomorrow, so I can't be certain what the problem is, but I know this from the ModDB page:

Intel Mobile Cards currently have an issue with Motion Blur shader not  working properly at all. Given the hardware, it would probably be better  to play with the Low End version of the mod, which fixes this issue by  disabling the effect altogether.

Try this: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1CzI_WhoSoCMUVJVktBZWk5bFU/edit

Or if it doesn't help try using the optional Low End version of the mod through SonicGMI which is supposed to look like this: http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/21/20703/thumb_620x2000/SonicGMI_Config_Fx_LowEnd.png

I hope it will help.

Makes his first post ever on SSMB. Gets 4 likes right off the back.

For someone like Falk (especially in a topic of a project he participated in making), the first post is special.

Oh look, there's 5 likes now.

About the crashes

I encountered two separate types of crashes when playing the mod. One was when I had the low-end mod enabled. It would freeze during some levels, particularly Rooftop Run and Windmill Isle. They went away once I disabled the low-end mod, so I figured that that was the cause of the crashing. I haven't used low-end since.

The other kind was that the game would hang during some loading screens. Often it would just exit the game but on other times it would simply freeze and load forever, making me have to force-restart. I think I fixed this by going into cpkredir.ini and changing the value for LogType into "file" (it was previously blank). I haven't encountered any crashes after that but I may have to play more to see.

EDIT: Gah, nope. Load screen crash is still occurring. I don't know what the problem could be since it doesn't seem like most people have this problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

About the crashes

I encountered two separate types of crashes when playing the mod. One was when I had the low-end mod enabled. It would freeze during some levels, particularly Rooftop Run and Windmill Isle. They went away once I disabled the low-end mod, so I figured that that was the cause of the crashing. I haven't used low-end since.

The other kind was that the game would hang during some loading screens. Often it would just exit the game but on other times it would simply freeze and load forever, making me have to force-restart. I think I fixed this by going into cpkredir.ini and changing the value for LogType into "file" (it was previously blank). I haven't encountered any crashes after that but I may have to play more to see.

EDIT: Gah, nope. Load screen crash is still occurring. I don't know what the problem could be since it doesn't seem like most people have this problem.

Sorry this took soo long, Ive been out all day:

The first one is the one I'm addressing today. The second one is explained in the readme, it's a sound issue which Korama is currently debugging. He can solve it with the Audio CPKs if he wants.

• Thumbs Up 1

So does that mean there's a temp. fix I can do myself in the meantime? I'm looking through the cpkredir.txt right now but I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

EDIT: Oh derp I somehow misread what he wrote and was looking at the wrong text file. Anyhow thanks for the help, this is a pretty huge relief. I'll test and see if I encounter any more problems.

In other news I'm having a damn lot of trouble finding that last red ring in Jungle Joyride. I managed to locate on my own every other ring in modern Sonic's acts, but whatever the last one is in JJ is proving to be pretty damn elusive. It doesn't help that the level chugs at the rate of a slideshow on my PC, so it's hard to tell what my surroundings are. Hopefully a guide turns up at some point.

So does that mean there's a temp. fix I can do myself in the meantime? I'm looking through the cpkredir.txt right now but I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

EDIT: Oh derp I somehow misread what he wrote and was looking at the wrong text file. Anyhow thanks for the help, this is a pretty huge relief. I'll test and see if I encounter any more problems.

In other news I'm having a damn lot of trouble finding that last red ring in Jungle Joyride. I managed to locate on my own every other ring in modern Sonic's acts, but whatever the last one is in JJ is proving to be pretty damn elusive. It doesn't help that the level chugs at the rate of a slideshow on my PC, so it's hard to tell what my surroundings are. Hopefully a guide turns up at some point.

Cool. glad to hear that. let me know if theres any other problems I will PM him.

I deeply apologize for the bump, but I need a little help.

I've already downloaded and extracted the files, and moved everything over to the Sonic Generations file directory. When I loaded SonicGMI, though, instead of the mods in the list, all I'm seeing is this message:

"No mods found on the specified folder. Click on the '...' button to search for them."

I did just that, making sure that it's linked directly to where the mod is, but it's still showing that message. Even after installing/uninstalling it so that the Mods and Enabled, the message still persists. Can someone help me with this? What am I doing wrong?

ETA: Never mind, I solved the problem. It's fun time! smile.png

Edited by Komodin