Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Actually that's untrue. On the contrary, in all those cases, Sonic was still the fastest while the fellow main canon playable characters were notably slower, but with special abilities.

I've done a bit of digging, and I've found a few speedruns of Sonic Advance 2.

Since I'm not GameTheory, I'm just going to use a basic example, the starting point of Leaf Forest at the beginning of Sonic Advance 2.

For Consistency, I've used the same user who uploaded the speedrun for each character. Here are the results.

[sonic]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079896

[Tails]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079897

[Knuckles]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079900

They all seem to run off of the first cliff at the "00:01:2?" point. (I'm not exactly sure what the last digit is though because of the videos' blurry quality)

But yeah, they pretty much all reach that point at the same time, which shows that they run at pretty much the same speed.

Also regardless of this, Eggman is undoubtable faster than Sonic in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, so I didn't provide any backup for those instances.

Not really sure what difference that makes since for the first 3 games (or later games like advance, and rush) in the series everyone ran at the same speed as Sonic

Well, that kind of answers your own question: they were all the same speed, so there wasn't a problem. It's a little silly for Omega or anyone to be faster (in-game) than Sonic.

Eggman also runs at the same speed, he just gets a head start in 2 / (3)&K. It's still silly, but I think it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Well, that kind of answers your own question: they were all the same speed, so there wasn't a problem. It's a little silly for Omega or anyone to be faster (in-game) than Sonic.

Eggman also runs at the same speed, he just gets a head start in 2 / (3)&K. It's still silly, but I think it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek anyway.

That's my point though, if Sonic is the fastest thing alive, and everyone else runs at the same speed that he does, than that title is pretty much moot.

I've done a bit of digging, and I've found a few speedruns of Sonic Advance 2.

Since I'm not GameTheory, I'm just going to use a basic example, the starting point of Leaf Forest at the beginning of Sonic Advance 2.

For Consistency, I've used the same user who uploaded the speedrun for each character. Here are the results.

[sonic]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079896

[Tails]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079897

[Knuckles]

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6079900

They all seem to run off of the first cliff at the "00:01:2?" point. (I'm not exactly sure what the last digit is though because of the videos' blurry quality)

'Fraid not. Good effort but there's a contradiction in the evidence to your initial claim.

In the videos, by the time Sonic has already began jumping over that first cliff, it's 00:01:22, whereas Tails and Knuckles only just reach the cliff at 00:01:25 and 00:01:23 respectively.

Even in Advance 2, Sonic being the fastest held up. 06 is the only one to really screw that up.

'Fraid not. Good effort buuuuut....

In the videos, by the time Sonic has already began jumping over that first cliff, it's 00:01:22, whereas Tails and Knuckles only just reach the cliff at 00:01:25 and 00:01:23 respectively.

Even in Advance 2, Sonic being the fastest held up. 06 is the only one to really screw that up.

Because we all know he's so much faster than them that they couldn't possibly be even close to being as fast as he is.  :rolleyes: 

The fact that they're even close is remarkable given he's the fastest thing alive. I wasn't pointing out that they were literally the same speed as Sonic, but rather that they're close enough to being considered as fast as he is, and one or two split seconds off just prove that.

Also, I'd like to note that 06 isn't the only game where Sonic isn't the fastest.

Sonic R's cpu opponents run faster than Sonic on the highest difficulty[when the player is Sonic], and in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Metal Sonic has higher acceleration when compared to Sonic. 

Because we all know he's so much faster than them that they couldn't possibly be even close to being as fast as he is.  :rolleyes: 

The fact that they're even close is remarkable given he's the fastest thing alive. I wasn't pointing out that they were literally the same speed as Sonic, but rather that they're close enough to being considered as fast as he is, and one or two split seconds off just prove that.

Actually you were going off the theory that they were the same speeds.

And considering the running start conditions of this, it's no surprise they'd be close in speed at the start. It's common knowledge that the laws of acceleration would support them starting off at around a similar speed, with Sonic still being the fastest of course, only for the speeds to later increase and for Sonic to really pull ahead of the pack.

You're grasping if you're trying to claim that those first few split second are an actual representation of how everyone's top speed compares to one another, especially considering how in Advance 2 they all have the same starting boost.

I rest my case

Not really sure what difference that makes since for the first 3 games (or later games like advance, and rush) in the series everyone ran at the same speed as Sonic

77735.gif Knuckles_run_fast.gif 

milestailsfox-lover.gif  knux_a_2.gif  [insert Amy running gif here because I could'nt find one]

[insert Blaze running gif here because I couldn't find one of her either =P ]

or even faster than Sonic

1343402400Robotnik_Running.GIF

with little to no response otherwise, so I don't really get the problem here :T

• Thumbs Up 1

At any rate, the chief problem here is that, even if it's possibly unintended, it's just one more example of the game making Sonic look needlessly ineffectual.

Are you referring to Advance, or 06? 

I'm genuinely unsure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic '06, natch. Advance has the gameplay/story segregation thing going on.

aai_notsofast.gif they actually don't start off at the same speed. There's a small window where you can boost you starting acceleration to the maximum, and that's just what the speedrunner did (given that it's a speedrun). They all left out of the starting point at their highest point of acceleration.

You do realize that even if that incorrect statement were true, it would only sink your case even further, sicne acceleration is not the actual speed, but the rate at which it exponentially increases, right? By those standards, Sonic's speed would go on to increase much higher than the others.

Don't really have much to say concerning those games since of course Shadow is in Sonic' speed tier story-wise, so it's legit (funnily enough starting with 06, it's canon that Shadow is by default, slower than Sonic especially without his air-shoes).

Regardless, they each did leave the starting point at the highest speed possible.

Don't really have much to say concerning those games since of course Shadow is in Sonic' speed tier story-wise

I wasn't really talking about Shadow, I was talking about everyone else who would appear as an assist such as Charmy, Vectory, Amy, Tails, Knuckles, Espio, all of them can keep up with Shadow (and by extension Sonic) relatively easily. Same goes for their appearance in Sonic Heroes.

I wasn't really talking about Shadow, I was talking about everyone else who would appear as an assist such as Charmy, Vectory, Amy, Tails, Knuckles, Espio, all of them can keep up with Shadow (and by extension Sonic) relatively easily. Same goes for their appearance in Sonic Heroes.

Well, considering how Sonic needs to lag behind his usual speed for his teammates to keep up with him, that comes as no shock in Heroes. 06 unfortunately lacks such the excuse though.

Well, considering how Sonic needs to lag behind his usual speed for his teammates to keep up with him, that comes as no shock in Heroes. 06 unfortunately lacks such the excuse though.

Even if we consider this, that doesn't explain why Team Rose, Chaotix and Dark can run at pretty much the same speed. 

Sonic's final boss is really easy, seriously I scored an S first time. Also every time you end up running fast you have to stop because otherwise you will die. 

In fact all of the bosses are quite easy in this game. Thankfully they are mostly ok with exception of one. Sigh, why in Sonic games it seems that the worst boss in game is the one that you fight the most? In SA1 there was Chaos 4 and in 06 Iblis 2, which seems like even worse version of Chaos 4. And Silver fight, well honestly I really like that because it makes me laugh. Don't ask why, I have no idea.

And the Sonic's final boss is also homage, to Egg Viper in SA1, thankfully Egg Wyvern doesn't have those annoying razors.

This game is just full of references to SA1 and SA2.

Even if we consider this, that doesn't explain why Team Rose, Chaotix and Dark can run at pretty much the same speed.

Well since that doesn't have anything to do with Sonic himself, let alone the official debate involving 06's blunder, that'll have to be brought up in another thread.

Just wondering, has anyone tried to beat any of the bosses with their eyes closed?

Well since that doesn't have anything to do with Sonic himself, let alone the official debate involving 06's blunder, that'll have to be brought up in another thread.

It kinda has everything to do with the discussion at hand tbh :/

Weren't we talking about how Sonic and friends ran at virtually the same speed, and thus Omega being able to run faster wouldn't be much of a feat as a result? Not only that but I was also considering that Metal Sonic was capable of going faster than Sonic. 

They can't...Team Rose and Chaotix are significantly slower...they had speed tiers marked by a 3 star system, it's quite noticeable.

Pretty sure that's their ranking overall and not specifically referring to speed.

Regardless, it's superfluous to point out that they're significantly slower here since they keep up with Shadow in Shadow the Hedgehog as well as Rouge and Omega being capable of keeping up with Shadow (who doesn't care to slow down for his comrades if they can't keep up with him) 

5abe5e7c6af2264df1b0a963a9d6a0b6.png

\

It kinda has everything to do with the discussion at hand tbh :/

Weren't we talking about how Sonic and friends ran at virtually the same speed, and thus Omega being able to run faster wouldn't be much of a feat as a result? Not only that but I was also considering that Metal Sonic was capable of going faster than Sonic. 

If that's what you're trying to argue, than you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle. Being almost as fast, not even the same speed is no where near as jarring as 06's blunder where someone who is not meant to faster than Sonic, all of a sudden is faster than him. I know you like 06, but it's undeniable that Omega is uncharacteristically faster than Sonic in 06. Heck, even Blaze is apparently faster than Sonic in 06, which doesn't make a flipping lick of sense.