Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I remember playing sonic 06 when it came out, I was 7 and didn't even know it had released.

A few months later my dad took me to blockbusters and I was looking at the ps2 games and then something caught my eye and what do I see? Sonic 06. I begged my dad to get it me. And he did .

When I got home I was so freaking excited to play it.

AnD some people would probably think I hated it but no, I loved every single bit about it.

I was a bit disgusted by the kissing part at the end but not because of beastallity but because of just kissing in general lol.

I loved it all.

Sadly after that game I forgot about sonic completely.

But I got back into sonic last year.

I didn't suffer any glitches apart from disappearing for like 3 seconds when I got hit.

The music just made me so darn happy.

It was truly the best feelings I had for a sonic game.

I didn't suffer any glitches apart from disappearing for like 3 seconds when I got hit.

How long did you play the game for?

I have a general frame of mind of people who say "I ran into no glitches in 06" just thinking glitches they did run into were incidental or just let them slide.

Really, there's no way you can play past Wave Ocean in Sonic's story without running into a single glitch, especially when playing a blind run.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah I forgot, one character that I didn't like was mephiles the dark. He scared me quite a lot if I played the game on the night.

I don't think he's scary now but come on, could you blame me? I was 7 at the time.

We'll if you count the part where you have to jump from plank to plank quickly, I did kinda suffer a glitch.

I jumped and I went through the plank and fell to my death.

It explained how Eggman recovered from Sonic Colours and how Time Eater came about, at least.

No... It didn't...

Eggman's Flashback was from a white void, not the outer reaches of space... And even if it did, the game didn't tell you how he stumbled there.

And the game doesn't tell you jack squat about the time eater. I ddidn't even know it was called the time eater before I looked it up on the net through the Sonic Wikia.

The game basically says, Eggman was playing around one day and he found another monster of the wekk to beat Sonic! Woohoo!

Also, the Homages that Both of the games give to earlier games touches my nostalgia pleasure point. (That sounded a little weird)

------------------

I forgot to mention earlier that the game sets the mood with the music pretty well, Characters are actually interacting instead of sitting there... doing nothing... and the animation is pretty well done.

Don't see how the dialogue was that bad though, seems on par with the rest of the dialouge.

No... It didn't...

Eggman's Flashback was from a white void, not the outer reaches of space... And even if it did, the game didn't tell you how he stumbled there.

And the game doesn't tell you jack squat about the time eater. I ddidn't even know it was called the time eater before I looked it up on the net through the Sonic Wikia.

The game basically says, Eggman was playing around one day and he found another monster of the wekk to beat Sonic! Woohoo!

Also, the Homages that Both of the games give to earlier games touches my nostalgia pleasure point. (That sounded a little weird.

http://youtu.be/gHvq8tCljS0

I think you need to watch this again since Eggman clearly stated he found the Time Eater after failing in Colors, so he was in space. I'm not trying to defend the game's story but don't make false accusations of it. 

Also, Eggman mentioned it's name in the 3DS version so what are you trying to say?

I forgot to mention earlier that the game sets the mood with the music pretty well, Characters are actually interacting instead of sitting there... doing nothing... and the animation is pretty well done.

Don't see how the dialogue was that bad though, seems on par with the rest of the dialouge.

Well in 06, Sonic saved Elise from Eggman and stopped some robots before Eggman kidnapped her. She gave Sonic the emerald and Eggman decided to get it later. Uh what? Why couldn't he just get it now since Sonic's too busy saying he'll rescue her when he too could've just stopped him right there but they both decide they'll just do it later for some stupid ass reason.

In Generations, Classic Sonic is simply strolling through Green Hill for nostalgia sake for some reason and a mysterious figure appears and attacks C. Sonic. Cutting back to M. Sonic, his friends are celebrating his birthday and the figure appeared and attack Sonic and his friends without much hesitation. Sonic tries too stop but the being was too strong for Sonic to beat himself. Modern Sonic know sees himself in the White Space and sees a location and decides to check it out. The intro was all mysterious like what is this place Modern Sonic is now in? What happened to Classic Sonic? Who is the mysterious figure? It get the player to ask questions while the player who's playing 06 facepalming at the stupidity of Sonic and Eggman.

Edited by Soni

Ehh...

Generations has alot of unanswered questions in it...

I greatly prefer 06's story over generations, but that's just me shrug2.gif

Ehh...

Ehh...

And me! Mephiles is by FAR the most dangerous antagonist in the game continuity

Killing Sonic in the most pathetic way ever doesn't make him good though.

• Thumbs Up 5

What he does in order to be seen as the most dangerous threat in the games is not really enough to call him an actually decent and competent villain...and what he can do to be dangerous doesn't even matter since almost all of his dangerous vibes were beaten down by Shadow...and since he used a Laser beam to Cheap shot Sonic, we can't even tell how much he could've been an actually Dangerous foe to fight Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't find Sonic being cheap shot to death an inherently bad thing. He was cheap shot into space...twice, with the intent to kill. He was cheap shot out of a hoverboard race. He was cheap shot with sleeping gas. Who cares about ethics; let antagonists be assholes, I say. The bigger problem is that the death was merely another ill-thought-out part in the idiotic confines of Mephiles' overall plan. It simply didn't need to happen in order to advance the story. Almost nothing needed to happen the way it did. If Sonic knew of Mephiles' existence and actually tried fighting him and still ended up impaled, yet the story was the same, it wouldn't have changed the meaninglessness of his death by that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't necessarily make him "good," though. The Time Eater was at the very least as powerful as him (at least Shadow could actually hurt him -- both Sonics, who could go toe-to-toe against Shadow, couldn't do jack squat against the Time Eater), and it made for a boring antagonist.

Really, there's no way you can play past Wave Ocean in Sonic's story without running into a single glitch, especially when playing a blind run.

I can attest to this.

I first played Sonic 06 at age 10.

I got the game for Christmas in 2006 with my Xbox 360. It was a combined approximate value of somewhere over four hundred bucks.

My first experience with the game was me trying desperately to get an S-rank on Wave Ocean, failing consistently once I reached that awful Mach Speed section, and finally getting a game over, forcing me to restart the entire game because there is no autosave. The first glitch I encountered, and the first indication that this game was a broken mess, was when I flew off the edge of that last ramp at the end of the Mach Speed section, passing by the two dash pads that are supposed to propel you to the Goal Ring, because I just so happened to be at the wrong angle when I was locked into an uncontrollable scripted event.

I remember the confusion and frustration I felt when I tried to jump off walls as Knuckles, only to find that this was nigh on impossible. I remember questioning I had received a defective copy of the game when I flew in and out of walls over and over again in Kingdom Valley. 

I remember

the game freezing

the game actually, legitimately locking up

when I finally finished that long and painful excuse for a stage

after so, so many failures and restarts

This was on Christmas Day, 2006. I was ten years old.

But you know what? Back then, I still enjoyed the game, somehow. I enjoyed the game for years, and not in the "willfully blind to the flaws" way either. I honestly, legitimately had fun playing it. Childhood innocence is such an amazing thing. On some level, I did feel like the game was a steaming pile, but the thing is, as a kid, it's rare that you actually don't enjoy something. It's more so that...something about it just feels wrong. Everything in 06 felt pretty much wrong, but I was such a forgiving and grateful little child that it mattered little to me. Even back then, I loathed Silver's gameplay, though. Even being a child couldn't protect me from that slow, painful, repetitious nonsense. But I suppose it was a good thing in the end. Otherwise, I might not even be here.

Back then, I also counted Shadow the Hedgehog among my favorite Sonic games. Honestly, the only Sonic game I remember finding it within myself to truly dislike back then was Sonic and the Secret Rings. (And I still consider that abomination worse than 06 from a design perspective.) Even then, though, I warmed up to it eventually, or...at least tried to.

Really, though, I don't mind people liking 06. Nowadays, I don't really think it's worth arguing over whether it's "objectively bad" or not. A game is a game: you enjoy it or you don't. If you do, good for you. I think there is a point where something falls below the threshold of being a high quality product, but at the end of the day, what's desirable or fun is subject more to personal taste than anything, and I think that matters a lot more than "objectivity". Sonic Adventure has some pretty blatant technical issues, but I still think it's a freaking awesome game because I love almost everything about it that's not a technical issue. And, really, I think some of those weird little bugs and collision detection issues in Sonic Adventure are fun to screw around with, and someone could say the same of 06 as well. I don't think video games are about criticizing and debating as much as they are about having fun. If you play a game and have fun, for whatever reasons, then that's all that matters.

(Also, I will say that I still think Sonic's Tropical Jungle was a decent level and the only one I still kind of enjoy.)

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, that last ramp on wave ocean, unless someone outright told you to or your like me where even during the scripted events you hold the control stick in the direction your going then you almost certainly will fall at least once when doing that stage for the first time. Now I think if you enter the ramp from a certain angle you won't have to worry about it but its almost a guaranteed slip up.

I enjoyed Sonic '06 (please don't hate me!).

Me and a close friend have been playing it often lately, just got all S Ranks for Sonic on Normal and Hard Mode lately.

I've been thinking of getting Very Hard Mode lately, but I don't know if I'm even good enough to S Rank it. ^^"

Don't waste money on Very Hard Mode, its not worth it and I already 100% 06 for PS3, was it alright, yes, is it a good game, no not really.

1) A false belief isn't a lie

It is when you state it as fact to support your argument time and time again and then change your story when backed into a corner and proved what you said was made up.

2) It doesn't matter if it was as bad as 06 or not, the same glitches occur in the same instances, yet people see 06's as worse.

No, don't even try to change your story again.

You used that topic as an example to show Lost World was as glitchy as Sonic 06, when the topic itself proves this is not the case.

3) Exactly ONE guy. Everyone else Stumbled upon these glitches through average playthroughs, THE SAME AS 06'S GLITCHES!

That's an outright lie and you know it.

4) As stated above, the same kinds of glitches occur, yet people DON'T see them as being as bad as 06 simply because their  opinion upon 06 is biased.

This is utterly ridiculous as well as a completely weak attempt to forge an argument.

"Oh I can't defend this so I'll just compare it to something else and if people don't side with me they must be biased."

Sonic 06 is crap, everything about it is crap. That is based on my stance from playing the game and nearly 8 years of people looking at it and examining it.

That does not prevent me from also stating that Secret Rings is amazingly average and a bad game due to terrible controls and a step learning curve. But at least it's somewhat playable unlike Sonic 06.

That does not prevent me from heavily criticising Lost World due to poor design decisions, confusing artistic direction, step learning curve and being overall a painfully average game.

I don't know if you realized it, but any game with glitches has faulty programming, so the badly programmed faults in 06 are the same as the badly programmed faults in Sonic Lost World.

I don't think you understand what programming or programming glitches are anymore. Especially when it comes to comparing one game to another.

• Thumbs Up 9

Don't waste money on Very Hard Mode, its not worth it and I already 100% 06 for PS3, was it alright, yes, is it a good game, no not really.

Dude, you 100%'d '06 on the PS3? That's freakin' sweet.

I do enjoy a challenge though, to some degree, as long as it's beatable to a level above insanity.

'06 has glitches, tis a fact, but I think it's fun once you can figure out how to get past them. Sure it's no Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2, but I enjoy the Adventure feeling to it, you know? I mean, some of the glitches can actually help you out. While speed running Wave Ocean for a Sonic competition on Facebook (no gems!), I found a glitch that killed my time by 10 seconds, and I won by a landslide. I guess what I'm trying to say is work with the glitches, and you'll have more fun with it. You know that part in the beginning of Wave Ocean (with Sonic!) after you get done sliding on the water, you can accidently slide through that wooden ramp? I have it basically memorized, so I jump over it. Simple as that, but I can understand people who don't want to play it because of all the glitches. I'm just saying, if you work with them, you'll have more fun with it. If you don't want to, go play a different Sonic. That's how I see it. ^^

Ohh, I most certainly get an Adventure vibe from the game and yes, got all the S Ranks for Normal and Hard and even gotten the Silver Medals. I certainly have my fun with 06, especially Sonic's levels but Shadow and Silver's were not that interesting and the story was mediocre at best. I liked some parts of it but not the whole package.

I mean that Very Hard Mode is pretty much same level but with more enemies and they hardly change the design for the most part of the levels, just watch SGBLikestoPlay's playthroughs of the DLC packs to see what I mean.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 1

I played Very Hard Mode before (but barely), and I've always described to people that it was the level cut in half, butchered, then tripled the enemies. It truly lives up to its name Very Hard Mode.

Ohhh, so you've paid for it....

You sir wasted a good $10 bucks on pointless DLC since it's nothing really innovative and is pretty much a cash-in just for the sake of DLC, as somecallmeJohnny said "Why did I pay money for this?"

Ohhh, so you've paid for it....

You sir wasted a good $10 bucks on pointless DLC since it's nothing really innovative and is pretty much a cash-in just for the sake of DLC, as somecallmeJohnny said "Why did I pay money for this?"

Well, this was a long time ago, I haven't played it for a good while, I assure you.

Oh did he? Hmm, I guess that's something that divides fans, some enjoy the challenge, and some don't want to put up with them. Right?

No, some wouldn't mind paying DLC for it while others won't touch the thing since it's nothing new therefore they don't bother with it.

But the DLC is completely different? I might even go as far to that that it was almost an entirely different level. But, it's been such a long time since I last played it.

Granted some levels do play differently like Sonic's Wave Ocean played in reverse or Sonic's Dusty Desert can be played with Sonic carrying Elise but that's as much difference as there is, while all the other levels have the same design except with more enemies. Which is why I don't touch the DLC 06 has to offer.

I don't know, man. I think it'd be a really cool feeling to have all S Ranks on VHM for Sonic, I just don't know if one would rate it "near impossible" or not.

Ohh, it's possible but it just gets tiring when you play through each level trying to get the S Rank, which is another reason I won't purchase Very Hard Mode DLC. Hard Mode is me drawing the line at this, the levels drag way too long for its good.