Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

That's not really saying much cause most of those critics still lables Unleashed as a bad game or treats it like it's as bad as Sonic 06.

Edited by Dere

Sonic Generations has the same gameplay as the SU hedgehog stages and it was well received.Also, the part of critics treating SU like it is as bad as Sonic 2006 is BS, as the game holds a higher score than Sonic 2006 in GameRankings.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Sonic Generations has the same gameplay as the SU hedgehog stages and it was well received.Also, the part of critics treating SU like it is as bad as Sonic 2006 is BS, as the game holds a higher score than Sonic 2006 in GameRankings.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Generations has the same gameplay as the SU hedgehog stages and it was well received.Also, the part of critics treating SU like it is as bad as Sonic 2006 is false, as the game holds a higher score than Sonic 2006 in GameRankings.

Sonic 06 is awesome. If it was a human female, I'd want her to bear my children.

I mean who wouldn't want kids who could walk on walls and ceilings?

• Thumbs Up 7

You know, looking at that makes we want Sonic Man to come back. In the Hedgehog Engine. Which would be...AWESOME! :P

No it's not BS cause most of the time when they talk about bad Sonic games in Sonic articles/reviews/previews, they seems to almost always put Unleashed as one of them along with Sonic 06 and Shadow.

Huh? I'd thought the werehog stages in Unleashed is one of the main reasons why it got panned by alot of people.

You know, looking at that makes we want Sonic Man to come back. In the Hedgehog Engine. Which would be...AWESOME! tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

It makes me think of that Professor Pickle Unleashed mod that popped up on the front page a few days ago.

Somehow, someway, somebody NEEDS to do that with Sonic Man.

Sonicman

The only character in the entirety of 06 that had any sort of character or personality whatsoever. And only because he was ripping off the main character.

Oh and Hatsun the Pidgeon as well.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonicman

The only character in the entirety of 06 that had any sort of character or personality whatsoever. And only because he was ripping off the main character.

Oh and Hatsun the Pidgeon as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Generations didn't have the werehog stages, which is why it got panned by a lot of people.Generations replaces the werehog with Classic sonic.

I was talking about the Hedgehog stages.

Places like IGN gave unleashed a lower score than 06 actually.

Well, most places didn't.

No it's not BS cause most of the time when they talk about bad Sonic games in Sonic articles/reviews/previews, they seems to almost always put Unleashed as one of them along with Sonic 06 and Shadow.

And if people had been as whiny back in the day as they're now, SA2 would be included in that list, too, for the reason I gave.

Generations has nostalgia backing it up, and Unleashed is mostly panned simply because of the Werehog alone. Unleashed's reputation is divisive at best, its not as bad as 06 but its particularly a good game either.

Do people read my posts? I acknowledged that SU was panned because of the Werehog stages, and pointed out the double standard in SA2 that isn't hated so much despite its mediocre shooting and treasure hunting stages making up 2/3 of the game (whereas in SU, the Werehog stages make up only 1/2 of the game). Then when someone suggested that maybe people didn't like the Hedgehog stages either, I defended them by pointing out that they were praised by most critics, and that Generations featured the same gameplay as those stages and was praised, too. I didn't say the Werehog gameplay was any good.

Don't know if this is completely true, but back in 2001, expectations for 3D games were lower than they are now, as back then, 3D was still relatively new at the time. Basically, people were more lenient, hence, SA2 (Dreamcast) holds a 9.4 on IGN, and similar scores around other gaming websites. Nowadays, as devs got more and more experience with 3D games, expectations increased, and people just weren't as lenient as they were back in 2001. Thus, Unleashed was pretty much panned.

That doesn't justify SA2. I would agree with you if 2/3 of SA2 consisting in treasure hunting and shooting was due to technical limitations, but that isn't the case. It was a design choice on Sonic Team's part and the industry's inexperience with 3D had nothing to do with it.And SA2B received mixed review scores from most critics despite coming out only one year after SA2 and having enhancements. Some of the critics who reviewed SA2 and then SA2B even admitted that they had given the original game a higher score than it deserved due to the hype of playing a 3D Sonic game.

Edited by Dere

Bollocks. Taking a series that is known for speed and producing a game in which the speed-based stages make up only 30% of the it wasn't any more excusable back then than it is now. People just weren't as whiny as they're now.

Here's a fun concept for you to wrap your mind around then:

When you add a shitty gameplay concept to pad the length of the game 7 years after people were already sick of alternative gameplay styles (which was a sentiment that had already started by the time Adventure 2 Battle came out, by the way), and you do it when and you do it when the last game you released is the complete shitstain that this thread is about, people have every right to react to it more strongly than they did way back then.

Because you're new here so I'll let you in on a secret: When Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 both came out, simply having Sonic in 3D was a novel enough concept that people were willing to overlook the flaws with both games. But that novelty was already wearing thin less than a year after the second game came out (as Adventure 2 Battle shows), it was pretty much gone in 2003 (as Adventure DX shows), and it was non-fucking existent nearly 8 years later.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

I was talking about the Hedgehog stages.

Well, most places didn't.And if people had been as whiny back in the day as they're now, SA2 would be included in that list, too, for the motives I stated.

Do people read my posts? I acknowledged that SU was panned because of the Werehog stages, and pointed out the double standard in SA2 that isn't hated so much despite its mediocre shooting and treasure hunting stages making up 1/3 of the game (whereas in SU, the Werehog stages make up only 1/2 of the game). Then when someone suggested that maybe people didn't like the Hedgehog stages either, I defended them by pointing out that they were praised by most critics, and that Generations featured the same gameplay as those stages and was praised, too. I didn't say the Werehog gameplay was any good.

Okay so since critics like it that means it's good.....?Sonic_4_Logo.png

Joking aside, Critics don't really decide what's good and what's not.

And what version of unleashed are you talking about? Wii or 360? Cause By the way your talking about the reviews you must be talking about the wii version. Cause the 360/ps3 version Got pretty low reviews in a lot of places.

As for your adventure 2 complaint, Games advance. 3D gameplay was new at that time. Not so much now. We have expectations for what a 3d game should play like unlike when 3d was new and we were just then exposed to it.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost
  • Thumbs Up 5

I acknowledged that SU was panned because of the Werehog stages, and pointed out the double standard in SA2 that isn't hated so much despite its mediocre shooting and treasure hunting stages making up 2/3 of the game (whereas in SU, the Werehog stages make up only 1/2 of the game).

Maybe some people liked the mech shooting and treasure hunting levels, but didn't like the Werehog? I know that's how I felt, at least. That's not a double standard.

Anyway, for the sake of keeping things on topic, I'm pretty sure most people know how I feel about Sonic 06. I will say, however, that I did actually enjoy Tropical Jungle. One competently designed level in what is otherwise the worst game I've ever played, I suppose.

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm neutral on the game. I think the concept is fantastic, and if they spent another year on the game, it would have been great... but they released it unfinished and broken.

I still play it every now and again, and when I do I get saddened by seeing what could have been such a great game.

Maybe some people liked the mech shooting and treasure hunting levels, but didn't like the Werehog? I know that's how I felt, at least. That's not a double standard.

Anyway, for the sake of keeping things on topic, I'm pretty sure most people know how I feel about Sonic 06. I will say, however, that I did actually enjoy Tropical Jungle. One competently designed level in what is otherwise the worst game I've ever played, I suppose.

Personally, I couldn't STAND Tropical Jungle. It was far to bland and generic in concept and it was hard to look at without saying BLAAAND. Music wasn't really much either. And it probably was the most exploitable stage in the game. And don't get me started on silvers version.dry.png Kingdom valley and Crisis city I'd play any day over that. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Well, going back on topic, I'll say that at first, I did like 06. A lot too. Then, recently, I've replayed 06 and found that while I liked Sonic's gameplay (up to and including Radical Train), Shadow's story was a bit eh for me, although it wasn't too bad. My main problem was with Silver's story. At first, I may have liked it, but now, I can't replay it at all. I dunno, he was just...boring to play as.

I'm just going to assume you're talking about Sonic's level.

Yep. Tropical Jungle as Silver or Rouge is a needlessly gigantic and confusing mess.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's kind of obvious, I guess. Rouge's Tropical Jungle can take less than a minute (I think) and Silver's Tropical Jungle is just tedious.

It's kind of obvious, I guess. Rouge's Tropical Jungle can take less than a minute (I think) and Silver's Tropical Jungle is just tedious.

Indeed, it is. Spending over fifteen minutes trudging through a water-logged jungle with a slow-ass annoying rodent with only psychokinesis as your form of offense isn't exactly my idea of fun.

• Thumbs Up 1