Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

One competently designed level in what is otherwise the worst game I've ever played, I suppose.

Tropical Jungle?

Nope, can't say I agree. Sonic's version is just as bad, all it did was add a few veins and flashy grinding rails in a confusing manner. Hell, sometimes I didn't know where the fuck I was supposed to use my homing attack, which would make me fall into a very generously placed bottomless pit. Not to mention the veins themselves can be really wonky to use, I swear the radioactive flash you have to wait for was so specific.

And at one section, you're in an open area with a bunch of horribly placed dash panels everywhere, and I can't really tell the goddamn floor from where the water--Read: Bottomless Pit with graphics over it--is. So not only do I have to constantly jump up and down and activate/deactivate the shield, I risk being flung somewhere to die from the Dash Panels.

At least the level is fun with the Blue Gem, and knowing the upper paths.

...If I can reach them anyway.

I find hilarious that people call SU a bad game for having the boring Werehog levels (which make up 1/2 of the game), but forgive SA2 for having the mediocre treasure hunting and shooting stages (which make up 2/3 of the game), and overlook the fact that only 3 out of Sonic 2's 10-11 Zones (EHZ, CPZ and CNZ) were truly speedy and fun, with the rest of them being slow, boring, and featuring mediocre level design. Double standards much?

Super ultra late on this, but please note that the Unleashed pictured is the Wii version. I don't think BB was calling the HD version bad. ._.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tropical Jungle?

Nope, can't say I agree. Sonic's version is just as bad, all it did was add a few veins and flashy grinding rails in a confusing manner. Hell, sometimes I didn't know where the fuck I was supposed to use my homing attack, which would make me fall into a very generously placed bottomless pit. Not to mention the veins themselves can be really wonky to use, I swear the radioactive flash you have to wait for was so specific.

And at one section, you're in an open area with a bunch of horribly placed dash panels everywhere, and I can't really tell the goddamn floor from where the water--Read: Bottomless Pit with graphics over it--is. So not only do I have to constantly jump up and down and activate/deactivate the shield, I risk being flung somewhere to die from the Dash Panels.

At least the level is fun with the Blue Gem, and knowing the upper paths.

...If I can reach them anyway.

Also, I think Tropical Jungle has the worst framerate in the entire game, as Silver at least.

Edited by Faceground Unleashed

I loved it, my sense of time is different than most so, "long load times," makes no sense to me. The gameplay of the three hedgehogs were very distinct. I DID NOT WHINE when Elise kissed Sonic, besides that kind of thing happens in mythology, who became the overlord of who you can love? Mephiles was truly a nefarious monster, the first Sonic villain to make me feel fear. My only complaints were Mephiles impaling Sonic seeing as I became a loyal fan at the age of three and the lack of creativity via recycling bosses from other story modes. Besides, it had instances that show that sometimes you can't get it all, a sacrifice must be made.

Edited by World Class Evil Genius
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Honestly I'm not even a fan of the soundtrack. It's got a few really cool tunes, like White Acropolis or Dreams of an Absolution (And the Generations remix of Crisis City is good), but for the most part it just feels like unmemorable orchestrated background noise to me.

Unleashed and Colours pulled off the orchestral thing WAY better than this game.

I love to hate this game. It fascinated me and I can't pin down why, like I enjoy it in a sort of masochistic way. There are a few parts where I see what they were going for, but it's so unfinished that none of it is executed particularly well. Sonic's Crisis City and Kingdom Valley are my favourite levels though.

The wide open spaces are an illusion though, it's still very linear in most levels aside from the first bit of Kingdom Valley, the two Elise levels and Crisis City somewhat I guess, the rest is just "where the fuck do I go" except with no landmarks that make it fun or reasonable to explore.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I loved the game personally, like some in the minority here, I can't fully understand why everyone hates it, some people say glitches, some people have certain reasons and some I think just join the bandwagon to look "cool".

Story: Yeah, the story kind of sucked balls here and there, got a little corny too and some things collided with others making the canon impossible to figure out. That doesn't mean it all sucked, some moments were personally enjoyable, the FMV's (like Verte said) were beautiful, downright gorgeous even and like any story in a game is filler to entertain; it's not by any chance a detective story, a thriller or even a fanfiction masterpiece, if you've only played the main series titles before playing 06 (that doesn't include handheld games) then I can't see your problem with plotholes in the story (except the infamous scene where Silver gives Elise the chaos emerald), but I can understand if you just didn't like it, fair enough, not your cup of tea, just know that you CAN skip the cutscenes.

Silver: By no chance the most original character and yes he seems kinda like Trunks from Dragonball Z (rawr rawr from the future rawr rawr) bringing along with him a hash leaf hair style and psycho-kinetic powers. But he had potential albeit he was slightly dim-witted, gullable and all around pointless but he brought something to change up the stale Sonic Adventure-esque gameplay. I personally had a bit of fun using the powers throughout his levels.

Gameplay: I could never see what was wrong with this, the game played like a Sonic Adventure game, button layout was perfect to me, the game all-around played nicely for all 3 characters even with some collision problems here and there. Before then and even today, some fans just cry for a Sonic Adventure 3 and to be fair as far as gameplay goes, this was as close as your gonna get.

Glitches: First of all hundreds of games have glitches. Since Sonic Adventure, what Sonic game hasn't had glitches??? Be honest with yourselfs, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 weren't exactly polished, neither were Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. I've played the game several times, even went as far to unlocking all achievements in the game which does require getting every silver medal so when I hear anyone saying they've came across a "game-breaking" glitch, I see it as a lie and ignore it; sure if you came across a flying box or something I'd believe it, but game-breaking? nah...

Graphics: Whats not to like about the graphics? They still hold up beautifully even today, considering the game came out during the early years of the Xbox; bringing the levels alive just that little more than previous entries, I also loved Eggmans new Mechs and how some were resurrected in a HD flavour:

Rhion.png

Sonic Adventure Rhino Bot

120px-Sonic_06_egg_liner_04.jpg

Sonic 06 Rhino Bot.

Sonic's "shitty" friends: This...well this is something I can say hurt the game with quite a critical hit, some were hit and miss, a great example would be Rouge's grip onto buildings being so tight you could barely get off a wall when attached or how Amy was near useless; having invisibility? sucky hammer attacks. Near enough every "Amigo" had bad gameplay but thankfully they're sections were rather short which didn't stop me from enjoying the overall game.

Music: One part most of the fanbase can agree with; the music. For me personally some music was hit and miss but the large majority of it was one great Eargasm but if I'm honest I think the soundtrack to this game is a little over-praised.

For the rest who hate it to be "cool"?

care-cup-demotivational-poster-1209052332.jpg

Sonic 06 was a great game IMO.

Graphics: Whats not to like about the graphics? They still hold up beautifully even today, considering the game came out during the early years of the Xbox; bringing the levels alive just that little more than previous entries, I also loved Eggmans new Mechs and how some were resurrected in a HD flavour:

I'm not going to argue with your other points, but the graphics are really bland and don't hold up today in the slightest. This game has original Xbox level graphics, just compare it to Ninja Gaiden:

Compare Sonic 2006 to almost any other 360 game (By AAA studios in particular) and it isn't even a contest. And the worst thing about the graphics are definitely the character models, which I touched upon in the other Sonic 2006 discussion thread.

I'm not going to argue with your other points, but the graphics are really bland and don't hold up today in the slightest. This game has original Xbox level graphics, just compare it to Ninja Gaiden:

Compare Sonic 2006 to almost any other 360 game (By AAA studios in particular) and it isn't even a contest. And the worst thing about the graphics are definitely the character models, which I touched upon in the other Sonic 2006 discussion thread.

I have often compared Sonic 06's graphics to Ninja Gaiden 2, but I find that they do hold up today especially a lot better than say, Prey, Quake 4, Perfect Dark: Zero.

I loved the game personally, like some in the minority here, I can't fully understand why everyone hates it, some people say glitches, some people have certain reasons and some I think just join the bandwagon to look "cool".

I shall try and elaborate for you best I can, though I must say that I don't speak for the group as a whole.

Story: Yeah, the story kind of sucked balls here and there, got a little corny too and some things collided with others making the canon impossible to figure out. That doesn't mean it all sucked, some moments were personally enjoyable, the FMV's (like Verte said) were beautiful, downright gorgeous even and like any story in a game is filler to entertain; it's not by any chance a detective story, a thriller or even a fanfiction masterpiece, if you've only played the main series titles before playing 06 (that doesn't include handheld games) then I can't see your problem with plotholes in the story (except the infamous scene where Silver gives Elise the chaos emerald), but I can understand if you just didn't like it, fair enough, not your cup of tea, just know that you CAN skip the cutscenes.

Despite what others may have told you, Sonic 06 does require any outside help to generate confusing moments. As an example, let's look at Mephiles plan.

In the future, Mephiles has pretty much won. His goal is to reunite with his other half and wreck **** up. At this point, to win the game and rule the world, Mephiles need only step outside and join forces with Heat Man, and he will already be able to conquer the rest of time. But no, we can't do that for some reason. Instead, in order to win the game and conquer the entire world, all he needs to do is to make a single girl cry. Rather than, say, tying her down and chopping some onions in front of her or something, he decides that the only way to get about to complete his plan is to germinate a friendship between her and a passerby before forcibly killing said passerby in cold blood. But the only way to complete this plan, instead of say just going and killing Friendguy himself (which he proves is possible near the end of the game), is to get a random future-goer to go back in time and kill the guy. But instead of just leaving it at that, he also takes the form of a government agent and decides to torture said government agent on the side without really keeping any tabs on him. His disguise, if memory serves, fools no one but Silver, who wouldn't even know who this person was.

We end up with a plan that should just be one or two steps extended far beyond what it ever needed to be for no real discernible reason. And while that isn't the only thing wrong with the story, I am short on time, so I'll leave the other members to give other examples.

Silver: By no chance the most original character and yes he seems kinda like Trunks from Dragonball Z (rawr rawr from the future rawr rawr) bringing along with him a hash leaf hair style and psycho-kinetic powers. But he had potential albeit he was slightly dim-witted, gullable and all around pointless but he brought something to change up the stale Sonic Adventure-esque gameplay. I personally had a bit of fun using the powers throughout his levels.

There's your reason. Right there.

Gameplay: I could never see what was wrong with this, the game played like a Sonic Adventure game, button layout was perfect to me, the game all-around played nicely for all 3 characters even with some collision problems here and there. Before then and even today, some fans just cry for a Sonic Adventure 3 and to be fair as far as gameplay goes, this was as close as your gonna get.

Gameplay is clearly unpolished on multiple levels (pun unintended). Many levels contain wide-open levels with nothing of interest in them, and the nature of certain levels like that jungle one allow several characters to bypass ridiculous amounts of the stage. Havoc physics do not work well with Silver's physics puzzles, especially those involving billiard balls. Shadow's multi-hit thing solves a problem that the game itself introduces (enemies with craptons of health) and just serves to slow down a character defined by how fast he can run. Sonic's Mach Speed sections are broken beyond repair and require mastery of crappy controls to navigate. Amigos in general.

I could go on, but again, I'm strapped for time.

I'll let someone else cover glitches. That'll take too long.

*ginormous picture*

Sonic 06 was a great game IMO.

To nitpick one last thing (and no offense to you, friend), "great game in my opinion" means almost nothing as a qualifier for game excellence, just because of how diverse opinions can be. "Great game in my opinion" may mean nothing to a lot of people if the person proclaiming it has a soft spot for So Bad It's Good games, for example. We need to argue objectives (or at least err to that side of things) when discussing game quality or else we can't get much of anywhere.

What I really liked about the graphics was the clean motion blur running at 60 fps.

the sensation of speed was amazing.

Too bad the only times where the game is remotely fast are when you're either not in control at all or when your control is turned to shit.

The only thing I loved about '06 was it's soundtrack, everything else is balls.

Felix.

Really.

Really, now.

You're a cool guy and all, but...

Did you really think that it was worth bumping this topic just to say that.

*sigh* Fine, then. While I'm at it...

Glitches: First of all hundreds of games have glitches. Since Sonic Adventure, what Sonic game hasn't had glitches??? Be honest with yourselfs, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 weren't exactly polished, neither were Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. I've played the game several times, even went as far to unlocking all achievements in the game which does require getting every silver medal so when I hear anyone saying they've came across a "game-breaking" glitch, I see it as a lie and ignore it; sure if you came across a flying box or something I'd believe it, but game-breaking? nah...

I really don't feel like debating most of your points. If you want to like the game then, well, whatever, but for the sake of my sanity, I must address this: the 1999-2005 3-D games weren't exactly "polished", but they were PLAYABLE, and calling people who have found game-breaking glitches liars is unimaginably arrogant (never mind the fact that you're defending an objectively bad game, but that's beside the point right now). What does game-breaking even mean to you, might I ask? I've had the game actually freeze on me upon completing a level. I've gone straight through solid walls, gotten stuck on random objects, gotten flung to my death by scripted events and experienced various other glitches that I would call "game-breaking".

care-cup-demotivational-poster-1209052332.jpg

f5ba22d572884ea545f15b9f45fc26531338607818_full.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

Game breaking to me means something that stops me progressing further through the game, which I've never really had with this game, let alone any game, sad to hear the game froze on you, that would suck, especially if you were going after an S rank but that could be your xbox too. (I've personally only had freezing in Oblivion, Fallout 3, and some of the Lego games.)

But say you went through a building, but got back out, is it really game breaking? I had that in The Amazing Spiderman, came down from the sky at high speeds, to get stuck in a sign a few times, got out 3 out of 4 times and one point fell right through the map itself, I suppose it could be considered game breaking.

I hate the phrase "game-breaking".

Because all it means anymore is breaking on par with the game freezing, your XBox bursting into flames, and the disk shooting out of it and slicing through your carotid artery leaving you to bleed to death as your house burns down.

Anything less than that? "Oh, it's not game-breaking, so it doesn't matter!"

So what if you regularly fall through the level? So what if the scripted sections kill you if you don't enter them in just the right way, and sometimes just randomly? So what if the physics and collision wig out and either leave you stuck or launch you who knows where? It's technically possible to finish, and that means there's absolutely nothing wrong shut up lala can't hear you lalala

• Thumbs Up 1

You, know I honestly have to ask.

Is anyone else but me absolutely sick of these Sonic 06 topics?

Like, every single topic we ever had on 06 has always been the same, us generally agreeing on what a downright shitty game it is on every respect (besides the soundtrack I guess), and you can only say this 'game is shit' so many times before it gets tiresome.

2006 is the new Sonic Adventure 3.

I know - I'm pretty sure we banned Sonic Adventure 3 topics anyway. Why are we still talking about it? v.png

• Thumbs Up 5

You, know I honestly have to ask.

Is anyone else but me absolutely sick of these Sonic 06 topics?

Like, every single topic we ever had on 06 has always been the same, us generally agreeing on what a downright shitty game it is on every respect (besides the soundtrack I guess), and you can only say this 'game is shit' so many times before it gets tiresome.

It's not just Sonic 06 topics but I'm getting sick of Sonic 06 bashing in general and how the gaming community constantly wants to keep reminding people how bad it is and use it to bash on the series and future games.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1