Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

You know, I honestly have to ask.

Is anyone else but me absolutely sick of these Sonic 06 topics?

Like, every single topic we ever had on 06 has always been the same, us generally agreeing on what a downright shitty game it is on every respect (besides the soundtrack I guess), and you can only say this 'game is shit' so many times before it gets tiresome.

Every time we close up shop, some new guy seeps in through the floorboards to say "okay guys it's not that bad."

And every time we're like "yes it is, here's why."

And then another guy materializes and is like "haha but no seriously guys it wasn't that bad."

Honestly, forget about Sonic 4. This crap is a horrific Sonic Cycle.

• Thumbs Up 9

You know, I honestly have to ask.

Is anyone else but me absolutely sick of these Sonic 06 topics?

Yes. Thank you. I'm so glad it's not just me.

As I explained in the Re-Release thread, the main reason why we're unable to move on (and believe me, I want to move on, so badly) is because a thread like this gets made/bumped about once a month or so. It's just like whenever you're arguing with a rabid hater, and it inevitably ends with "lol Sonic 06" despite the existence of later, better games.

I mean, why continuously talk about the games you don't like? That's fun for nobody.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

I mean, why continuously talk about the games you don't like? That's fun for nobody.

But that's what the Sonic fanbase does best! (snark snark)

Or perhaps we could have "The Sonic 2006 thread" and then it doesn't infect the rest of the forum. Actually scratch that.

Overall, people like to complain about things. It's what people do, hence these sorts fo threads draw a lot of complaining in particular.

Edited by Semi-colon e

But that's what the Sonic fanbase does best! (snark snark)

Or perhaps we could have "The Sonic 2006 thread" and then it doesn't infect the rest of the forum. Actually scratch that.

Overall, people like to complain about things. It's what people do, hence these sorts fo threads draw a lot of complaining in particular.

People seem to find it difficult to let go of bad times, whether they're on a large or small scale. Sonic '06 may be something relatively minor in terms of people's experiences, but of course, they'll remember it. Besides, if they're Sonic fans in particular, they're gonna find it much more difficult to let go of something even if it took place six years ago and has been more than made up in Generations and Colours (And in my personal opinion, Unleashed too, but I know the general opinion of it), simply because Sonic'd be something close to their heart.

People also enjoy complaining and if they have something to look to to blame problems or issues on to distract themselves from something else, they'll do it. Even without anything to distract themselves from they love to complain and make things seem worse than they are. Honestly, I don't think 06 is that bad but I didn't play it until recently. I think I might have been scared off by all of the negatives and being a fan of Sonic Adventure I was worried that maybe it might taint my view of SA1, but honestly, 06 isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be IMO. Maybe it's because I didn't go in expecting something brilliant, whereas some of you guys who played it when it first came out probably would have.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am playing this game right now. Trying with difficulty to complete the last story and get the chaos emeralds.

I mean, how can anyone like this game. Like the cutscenes and music by all means. Everything else is just... well I am getting more and more fed up with the game as I play it.

It's just such a mess of a game.

Honestly, I don't think 06 is that bad

Be warned. A lot of folk will probably immediately disregard your thoughts as soon as they read this part.

I myself can understand your feelings, but in my personal experience, no, I didn't expect something great. You can't simply expect everyone to have the same experience with it. I knew the reviews and opinions were mostly negative, and I played it myself in order to pull the double whammy of confirming it's reputation and proving that I did play it and am not "just a hater", or someone complaining about games I don't play.

Be warned. A lot of folk will probably immediately disregard your thoughts as soon as they read this part.

I myself can understand your feelings, but in my personal experience, no, I didn't expect something great. You can't simply expect everyone to have the same experience with it. I knew the reviews and opinions were mostly negative, and I played it myself in order to pull the double whammy of confirming it's reputation and proving that I did play it and am not "just a hater", or someone complaining about games I don't play.

Oh, I know. I know Sonic 06's reputation, and it sure ain't positive. And trust me, I'm not saying it's by any means a good game. It was rushed, it was a poor quality final product. But I do have to say, I still think it receives more hatred than perhaps is required. LIke I say, I was expecting something utterly Godawful in every way, and I suppose as a result I'm satisfied to say that it's not utterly Godawful in every way to me, just... pretty bad.

I am playing this game right now. Trying with difficulty to complete the last story and get the chaos emeralds.

I mean, how can anyone like this game. Like the cutscenes and music by all means. Everything else is just... well I am getting more and more fed up with the game as I play it.

It's just such a mess of a game.

Hey man, I feel ya. I bought the game myself for the first time only a few weeks ago, and now I'm stuck on Solaris. The boss fight is so badly thought out that honestly, I don't even know what I'm meant to be doing on it. And as for the cutscenes, I find all of the models have this painfully evident jittering. They also have to have some of the most unnatural character movement in the Sonic games in general, next to maybe that of Sonic Adventure.

Oh, I know. I know Sonic 06's reputation, and it sure ain't positive. And trust me, I'm not saying it's by any means a good game. It was rushed, it was a poor quality final product. But I do have to say, I still think it receives more hatred than perhaps is required. LIke I say, I was expecting something utterly Godawful in every way, and I suppose as a result I'm satisfied to say that it's not utterly Godawful in every way to me, just... pretty bad.

Yes, but as I said in the Re-Release thread in regards to comparing Sonic 2006 to other, worse games:

One piece of complete shit being bigger than another piece of complete shit doesn't stop the latter piece of complete shit from being a piece of complete shit.

It's like if you got shot by two guns, but one shot was slightly less painful than the other one. It wouldn't matter, because it would still fucking hurt.

And this is coming from someone who at least has So Bad It's Good fun with Superman 64.

It may not be the very worst to ever exist, but that's nothing worth boasting about.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

You guys ever thought of...ya know.....just ignored anything 06 related? I've already blocked this thread from my mind, why hasn't anyone else?

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys ever thought of...ya know.....just ignored anything 06 related? I've already blocked this thread from my mind, why hasn't anyone else?

Bile fascination is a beast, mon...

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Edited by Kiovle
  • Thumbs Up 1

It deserves all the hate it gets and far more because it completely trashed Sonic's reputation. I mean, ShTH was at least a spin off, sort of, and Unleashed had half of a great game buried beneath it, but 06? It was supposed to be a massive budget hyped up anniversary game of awesome, but turned out to be not just the worst Sonic game ever made but one of the worst video games made, of all time. Couple that with having all three of those games released in tandem and you have such a triple whammy of awfulness that it has destroyed most people's image of the franchise.

And yes, I wish I could ignore these threads too and I know I'm not exactly helping out in letting this thread die, but I just can't help it.

But the thing I question is that if you take away Unleashed and ShTH, you have '06 left, and would that alone be enough to put people off Sonic forever? It was a bad game, sure, but if you blame it for wrecking Sonic's reputation, an equally large amount of hate should be dished out to ShTH in my opinion, possibly more, because while it isn't a glitchy piece of shit, the entire plot takes the Sonic series to the point where it is further away from the originals than anything else in my opinion, including '06 (It comes pretty damn close in terms of "dark plot", but it doesn't include so much reckless killing of human soldiers and such, and at least you get to play as the series' star). Plus, ShTH is responsible for knocking people into the "last chance" line of thought anyway.

I'm not denying that Shadow or '06 both shouldn't have existed for the sake of poor old Sonic, and I'm not denying that Sonic '06 is an awful game. It's a bad game, indeed. But I wasn't set up for the "stunning, next gen level of groundbreaking Sonic gameplay" that it was set up to be.

But for the record, I don't consider it the worst Sonic game - a few others manage to top (Bottom?) it, like Sonic Genesis and Sonic Labyrinth.

Solaris phase 2 says hi.smile.png

It never seemed remarkable, they just took the same dull hook from His World and played it with a different electric violin.

When I first got the game I enjoyed it slightly, then once the 'new game feeling' was gone I started to find it too irritating to even play for more than 15 minutes. I sometimes play it again for a laugh then put it away and play some Generations.

I've got complicated feelings toward it. A love-hate relationship, really.

I consider it to be an objectively bad game. It's horrible on some of the most basic, fundamental levels. The gameplay is broken and has few redeeming points, the level design is lame, the graphics were incredibly dated from the day the game was released, and the story was a self-contradictory mess that tried too hard to be compelling and ended up making no sense.

And yet, I have a soft spot for the game that probably stems from nostalgia. Even though it's terrible, I had so much hype for it that I can't help but have somewhat fond feelings for it. And in many ways, it's so bad that it's good. Like watching a terrible movie for shiggles.

Aside from some decent tunes, 06 is probably the only game in the series that I can honestly say had not a single redeeming quality. Its a blight on the franchise.

Well, another topic got locked while I was typing, so...(regarding Sonic's death)

When you do something as important as killing off a character dramatically, even if it's only a temporary death, it carries a meaning, a message. The biggest mistake in Sonic's death scene is that it seems they didn't even consider what they were saying with his death; it was just a reason for Elise to cry and release the monster to combine with the other monster to make the biggest monster so they'd have a big scary final boss. The way they played his death, though I'm sure this wasn't their intention, was very sudden and very unfair, which even if written well can only send the message that the world is brutal and uncaring. Which could be a valid way to take a story (either as an argument to be accepted or an argument to fight against), but not here, because 1) this series is too upbeat and optimistic to pull it off, and 2) they don't take it anywhere, it's just left as it is.

And so with no setup, no thought to its meaning, and anyone with half a brain realizing they'd never keep Sonic dead, the only emotional reaction the scene can conjure up is the feeling of being cheated. You see through the trick instantly, and the whole thing becomes a farce. Whatever's left of your emotional investment in the game goes out the window, and the rest of the game is just about going through the motions...the game tells you to be sad, everyone's sad because Sonic is dead, but you've been taken so far out of the story that it becomes an exercise in the game lying to you, and you know it.

The main point, I think, is that a hero should die like a hero. At least in a series like this. '06 gave no opportunity for Sonic's death to be meaningful, it just threw him on screen and shot him. Had he died defending himself, or someone/thing else, there could have at least been some meaning to it.

• Thumbs Up 8

Awesome, a general 2006 topic, time to break fresh ground!!

Uhhhh

ummm

errr......

THIS GAME SUCKS MONKEY TITS!!

That's all I got, don't expect me to comment on 06 ever again tongue.png

Edited by Soniman

Another aspect about Sonic's death that I never understood was the reaction of the rest of the cast. Sure, they were sad, and Amy was bawling as expected, but what of the rest? All Tails says is, "No, you don't think...?" and hangs his head.

Pardon, but I kind of expected Tails of all people to take this the hardest. I can understand Amy making a huge scene, but even Knuckles and Shadow show more emotion than Tails. I mean, Tails is supposed to be Sonic's closest friend - the adopted little brother. I'm not saying he needs to sob his eyes out, but he's an 8-year old kid - could they at least show him trying to stand strong while choking back some tears? It would have made things a bit more believable.

Unrelated to Sonic's death though, I feel like this constant complaining about Sonic '06 is something that gives more "reputable" critics a reason to keep bringing it up in newer Sonic games. I mean, it wasn't until very recently that we read a game review that didn't open up with the usual "Sonic's had a hard time lately" gag. That isn't to say that the game didn't happen (and I am most certainly guilty of tearing this game down when I have the opportunity) but I wonder if we, as a collective fanbase, stopped bringing this game up, would critics in general just let it rest? I can't really grasp at how that would make sense, but what I see more often than not are people complaining about bigger review sites like IGN or GameTrailers ripping on Sonic's past when some (not all) of these same people doing the exact same themselves whenever a less than favorable game is brought up. Again, I understand that I am guilty of this very thing.

Do you think it would make a difference?

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

There was one good thing about 06.

Radical Train. The name of the stage was fucking RADICAL TRAIN! NOTHING WILL BE ABLE TO TOP THAT!

NOTHING!

Another aspect about Sonic's death that I never understood was the reaction of the rest of the cast. Sure, they were sad, and Amy was bawling as expected, but what of the rest? All Tails says is, "No, you don't think...?" and hangs his head.

Pardon, but I kind of expected Tails of all people to take this the hardest. I can understand Amy making a huge scene, but even Knuckles and Shadow of all people show more emotion than Tails. I mean, Tails is supposed to be Sonic's closest friend - the adopted little brother. I'm not saying he needs to sob his eyes out, but he's an 8-year old kid - could they at least show him trying to stand strong while choking back some tears? It would have made things a bit more believable.

Unrelated to Sonic's death though, I feel like this constant complaining about Sonic '06 is something that gives more "reputable" critics a reason to keep bringing it up in newer Sonic games. I mean, it wasn't until very recently that we read a game review that didn't open up with the usual "Sonic's had a hard time lately" gag. That isn't to say that the game didn't happen (and I am most certainly guilty of tearing this game down when I have the opportunity) but I wonder if we, as a collective fanbase, stopped bringing this game up, would critics in general just let it rest? I can't really grasp at how that would make sense, but what I see more often than not are people complaining about bigger review sites like IGN or GameTrailers ripping on Sonic's past when some (not all) of these same people doing the exact same themselves whenever a less than favorable game is brought up. Again, I understand that I am guilty of this very thing.

Do you think it would make a difference?

The problem is that the damage has already been done. Six years is a long time and there have been a fair few Sonic games since then and the attitude to Sonic 06 is not going to change. The reviewers probably won't shut up about 06 until a perfect Sonic game is made. Thus they will probably never shut up.

Edited by NightwingFox