Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Pros about Sonic 06

Great soundtrack favorite track Dreams of an absolution.

Another pro is Sonic's and Blaze's stages. I like being these characters specifically Blaze. Because she's fun to play as.

Control never got in my way. It takes time getting used too though.

Graphics and CGI are good for an early Xbox 360 game.

The Sonic characters models are cool to me. Particularly Sonic's and Shadow's and Silver's.

Silver's powers were cool to me. His voice did not annoy me either.

Multiplayer. It can be funny.

Cons about Sonic 06

Silver's ball puzzle.

Load times.

All of the hedgehogs speed.

Dr Eggman's new look.

Running away from the tornado in crisis city.

Rouge and knuckles and Amy's runs.

The voice acting and the story.

Princess Elise.

Alot of missed opportunities in this game.

Stupid side missions specifically walking the dog to it's owner.

They should have fixed this game up using DLC or patches.

Well that's all I can think of for now. I'll see if I can think anymore later.

Again I will fix any mistakes I have made on this post.

Well, I finished the game and here are my final thoughts.

Story: definetely the worst part of the game. I could go on rant about how incredible stupid it is but that would take forever. I probably give that it's own post later.

Presentation: graphics are ok for the times standards. Enviroments look nice and models are fine with the exception of human models, they are quite bad. Cutscenes look great. Music is great with my favourite being "His world" (although I prefer Crush 40 version). But voicd acting, well it isn't worst I have heard but still bad.

Gameplay: I start with action stages and then go to general stuff. But first about controls. They got some time to get use to but they didn't cause problems in the end. They are precise but honestly, I have easier time with this control than with Sonic Heroes slipperiness (I still really like that game). Now character:

Sonic: My favourite gamestyle. It feels good although there are some annoying things. Like that I have to stand still in order to do spindash and that I can't jump as a ball. That's why I use technicue pretty rarely. And in homing attack there is delay between everyone. Because of some enemies have lifebars it would have been so much better to just be able to do that continuosly. Later the bounce attack fixes this. Gems are pretty cool especially when I can use them infinitely. And light speed dash works as it should. Sonic is slower in this game than in previous ones and while it's little dissapointing I think that it's probably better this way because of the precise controls. And then there is mach-speed sections. Why they are in the game? They only make getting S-rank much harder (although I don't care much about those things) and even small mistake can kill you. Also, why anyone can't just jump on enemies? Who thought that that was a good idea? Beside that, I think that his levels are well constructed and have replay value (although I don't really like snowboarding in this game which is shame because how fun it was in Adventure titles).

Tails: I honestly was initially excited about playing as Tails because his gameplaystyle is usually my favourite. Here it's okay. Groundspeed is really bad and that's why I just try to fly as much as I can. Bombs work well but I would rather use normal methods on killing enemies. I probably used FP view once in entire game. My strategy is just fly above enemies and drop as many bombs as I can. Only problem is that if Tails get hit, it's pretty miserable to try to collect them. I think that he's my second favourite amigo.

Knuckles: Sigh... Groundspeed is again bad, cliding is not nearly as good as it was in previous games while it still works, wallclimbing works well becide that one glitch and combat just sucks. Hit detection is so precise that it is incredible easy to get hit when trying to hit enemies. At least this time it just about moving forward

Shadow: I somewhat enjoy Shadow levels but I just hope that there would have had more options to attack than just homing attack, which luckily makes more damage than Sonic's. The chaos powers are almost useless and I only used chaos boost when it was required. Vehicles work rather well with the exception of motorcycle, it's so hard to control, and handglider sections are so easy. In first one I only moved to get 1up and didn't fire at once. In others I at least bothered to move. His leveldesing is ok but I think that Shadow should be little faster. He doesn't even have spindash.

Rouge: Same problems than Knuckles. But at least her combat is better because of bombs. While I still don't get that why bombs, they again work. It just shame that I cannot drop them like Tails, Rouge has to stop to throw them. And Rouge also has treasure hunting. In SA1 levels were great. In SA2 not so good because of butchered radar, hints and overell worse structure. In Sonic 06, we don't have those things. Luckily the placement isn't random so it isn't that bad.

Omega: At least his speed is somewhat reasonable. And infinite hovering -glitch is very usefull. But combat has been butchered since Sonic Heroes. Still, Omega is somewhat fun.

Silver: My least favourite of the main characters. First of all, his gameplaystyle feels completely unnessessary because it was never intendedto be fast. I like very much playing as multiple characters but all of them should have some kind of speed (while many characters in this game are slow, some of them, like Tails has someway to go faster) because high speed platforming is what Sonic is about. And while concept of telekinesis is interesting (although it was probably put in to game just because game has physics engine), I would appreciate to have some other method of killing enemies. While grapping things and throwing them mostly works why I need to stun enemies to grab them? And before you buy an upgrade it's so irritating to do that it just better to wait that I have someting to grab. Because of the meter I also can't just continuously attack them which is a pace-braker although I sometimes just ignore enemies. And if there is nothing to throw, I need to wait that something what I can grab and while I can stun groundenemies, I can't do that to flying enemies. I can also say that this is the hardest campaing. Overall I think that there was just so much wasted potential. And levels are also worst of the three because of 1) some of them just go on eternity 2) they can be really confusing sometimes 3) telekinesis gimmicks can sometimes be really bad, especially the ball puzzle, which I just ended up bypassing with glitch.

Blaze: My favourite amigo. She is reasonable fast and have good combatskills. Although her homing attack sometimes acted pretty weirdly.

Amy: My least favourite amigo. I really didn't liked her gamestyle much in SA1 and here it's worse. Again, speed is bad and hammer isn't really reliable. Also why her double jump kills momentum? Biggest problems are again the hit detection and fact that Amy can't move and hit simultaneously. And why she can turn invisible? Is there any reason for that? And invisibility is mostly useless because only thing what I can see is her shadow which just makes it harder to know where she is.

And now general stuff.

First of all, loadtimes are horrible. Luckily I am somewhat patient. There was also slowdown even when there wasn't anything much in the screen. I think that there was most lag on Silver's story.

Hubworlds: I liked them in SA1. Why? Because they were small, easy to remeber and I was able to move fast on them. In 06 it's the opposite. They are big and especially with Silver it takes too much time to go one place to another. Also everyplace looks the same so it is really easy to get lost. If you wanna make big hubworlds then 1) give the some reason to be big 2) give some way to easily move from one place to another. When it comes to townmission, I really didn't bother with them. They are not so interesting.

In the terms of glitches. I really didn't have so much problems. Only frequent one was getting stuck on walls as Knuckles and Rouge which weren't so bad (at least to me). Camera is bad. I died couple of times because I didn't see what to do. This is especially case in boss what which don't lock-on and when they do lock, it would still be better.

Bossfights are fine mostly. Although I really didn't like that they used ramming into a wall as a bossmethod couple of times. Final boss is ok although not as fun as the likes of Perfect Chaos and Finalhazard.

One annoying thing is that this game doesn't have autosave. You need to choose yes or no after levels (also when the cursor is on no naturally). Also it doens't save when you go from one place to the next and after townmissions. And speaking of townmissions. Why can't I just restart it when I fail. Because of that, I need to go through 4 loading screen in order to try again. And if you get a game over, it puts you back to main menu. Why can't it just start from beginning of the level. Instead I have to watch more loading screen and possible some cutscenes (more loading) and unnessessary walking from place to place.

Also, why this game has DLC. Aren't you suppose to finish the game before making DLC?

Overall, while there are many annoying and some things which just make me angry, I don't fully understand all the hate this game gets. This definetely isn't one of the worst games of all time because it has many good elements (of course I might just have been lucky about glitches). I can say that somewhat I like this game (not everything) and most likely I will replay levels from Sonic's story at least. Techically it's heavily flawed but still.

So this is a thing.

(Thank Melpontro for this horror).

Sweet Christ, that car at 0:13 killed me!

• 2 weeks later...

I said in earlier post that I will give story it's own post, here it is, my main problems with story.I considerer game as part of cannon, which it is according to Sonic Generations. Well, spoilers..

1. Mephileses actions: why did he needed to use Silver to kill Sonic? He did that himself later so why he didn't do that in the first place? Also, why he didn't just time traveled to place where Solaris was separeted and join with Iblis there? Or in the future where Iblis was freed?

2. Silver's logic: why did he trusted Mephiles? Only thing that Mephiles show to him was that little clip of Sonic with flames. Ok, and nothing else? Why the blue hedgehog did that and how? And later when Silver actually ask these questions Mephiles just disregards the question and Silver doesn't say anything even when the evidence should make him question Mephileses motivations. Finally, when Sonic goes back to the past to save Elise, Silver just lets him to go alone even if Elise's death is the thing that caused his future. This also brings up another problem but I save that later. Another thing is his inconsistent telekinesis powers.

3. Elise: uuugh! Elise quickly became my most hated Sonic character. First of, she's worse than Princess Peach, at least she is kidnapped only once per game, not 5 times. Also her relationship with Sonic is just poorly done. I said earlier that I don't have problem with human-mobian-relationship but in this case, most of the time she was being Eggman's prisoner and interactions between Sonic and Elise are in the end rare. I know that this kind of stuff of "love-in-first-sight" is not that rare but at least Disnet gives some substance. Also, how she didn't cry in ten years. I just refuse to believe that. And in the end she would rather risk all in existence than lose Sonic (also, she wouldn't truly lost him because the two wouldn't have never met).

4. Actions of characters: aside those which I mentioned earlier there are just some idiotic moments. Like when multiple characters tries to catch Egg carrier (moving aircraft) on foot. Why didn't Sonic and Tails just use Tornado, that have worked many times before. And don't get me even started with citizens of Soleanna.

Speaking of Soleanna, one thing has been bothering me from the beginning. Why are all civilians humans? Is Amy only mobian who lives in Station Square? Don't there live any other mobians in those cites? I know, it's nitpicking but it just bothers me.

And there there are thing that are never explained or are just stupid. Like I just don't understand why Shadow works for G.U.N after SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. And how Amy can think that Silver is Sonic? Do they look similar at all? And why Knuckles isn't guarding the Master Emerald, he has no reason for being in Soleanna. This also applies for Sonic and Tails, why they were in Soleanna? And why G.U.N was there? I recall that in game continuity Soleanna wasn't part of United Federations (I comics I think it is).

5. Time travel: I don't even know where to begin. Well, first of all, why doens't any character realise that they can time travel as much as they want? And doesn't anybody realise the possible consiquences? Like Silver and Blaze that there is a good chance that after they change past they no longer exist and other paradoxes which it will cause like the fact that they changed the reason why did they time traveled in the first place. Also Mephiles, is there suppose to be 2 Mephileses, one which traveled in time with Silver and one which Shadow encountered and traveled in past? I am not sure. And Omega. Didn't he went to shutdown in order to deliver the Chaos emerald to Shadow in Crisis City? And he went back to past with Shadow? Again, isn't there suppose to be two Omegas? And how future Sonic met past Tails and Knuckles when they went to aquatic base? Also, what a coincidence that Sonic's and Shadow's group ended up in same palce in the future. Also what was the thing with that timeless void where all main characters were? And why wasn't Blaze in there? Did Solaris only affect one dimension?

And at last the Chaos emeralds. How many of them actually are in Sonic's time when Sonic and the company returned to their own time? They brought them from the future. Also, didn't Elise have one of them 10 years? Does that mean that there was at least eight emeralds in the time of earlier games because it is impossible thay older games happened ten years before this game. And where Mephiles got 7 of them? And Blazes dimension travel. How did she did that? Silver didn't use Chaos control because he didn't wanted to lose Blaze. Not to mention, this story contradicts Blazes origin story somewhat, yes she traveled to different dimension but how did she became queen?

And in the end they just erased all of the events in existence (thank god) but if they did that, why didn't they just did that in the first place?

I probably forgotted some paradoxes but if I remember some major plotholes I maybe post them.

6. And speaking of emeralds, Chaos control time travel and kiss of life are just something I just refuse to believe.

7. Game's name is Sonic The Hedgehog: Sonic is in the end quite unimportant because most of important things in plot happened in Shadow's or Silver's story. Only thing what happened in Sonic's story is the Sonic vs. Eggman which was inthe end pointless. And was Eggman in this game just because of status quo?

8. And if everything was erased, why Crisis city and Silver fight were in Sonic Generations? They never happened. I know that in 3DS version there was more questinable levels and bosses in terms of overall quality but I consider console game the cannon one.

There is a good chance that I forgotted something but those were my main points. Many of them are questions that should not exist in the first place.

And if I have understand something wrong, please correct me.

Actually, the game is Shadow the Hedgehog 2 & Silver featuring Sonic the Hedgehog from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.....

Silver lives in a post-apocalyptic world where there might very few people are even alive, let alone look healthy to say the least.

Silver wants to fix his world and he becomes even more infuriated when he realize that Iblis can never be killed, so any way to stop it's reign of terror is A-OK with him! Granted, he shouldn't have trusted Mephiles but heck if you're as desperate as SIlver was and wants to jump on the chance on small hope of saving your world, you would've made the same decision. Granted, I would also say that Silver is very inexperienced in heroism unlike Shadow or Sonic, again because post-apocalyptic world....

But heck Silver eventually figures out the truth and decides to make things right. 

I'll be honest, when I think about 06's story it really isn't that much of mess granted it isn't a good one but I'm pretty sure it's from the worst story ever in a video game.

Sonic's story was pointless and dumb, Shadow's is pretty good and shows how developed he became after his own game though maybe give a reason why Shadow joins GUN would've helped atleast and Silver's story is probably the best one IMO, it shows how naive and inexperienced of a hero Silver is but he still has that determination and strong will to do anything it takes to save the things he cares about.

....Good god, I actually praised 06 for once.......

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only ever played through 5% of this game, on the first level of Silver's story I swear the controls stopped working.

I just made it through the crisis city mock speed section, without losing a life, and I scored a B. 

I bought this game when it came out and it has one of the most epic-absurd horrible openings to any game ever. Running through hoops to unlock the light dash (with about 4 loading screens), a lame Emerald Coast rip-off level with numerous broken script sections in the mach speed area that randomly kill you (all with no checkpoints so fuck off to the opening cutscene if you die) and the Silver Boss Fight right after, one of the worst boss fights ever in any game. 

What an entrance!

^ ..Then there's no time to waste! =P

Yeah it's a pretty bad start to a game, and most people already lose all their lives at Wave Ocean then have to endure all those horrible load times before they can enter the stage again and retry!

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you seen that James & Mike Monday where they play Sonic 06 and get a game over twice at Wave Ocean and have to start all over again twice? Their reactions were priceless! 

• Thumbs Up 2

It was funny, but kinda ridiculous because of how bad James was at the game lol. I guess it's just cos he's not used to playing modern games though.

It was funny, but kinda ridiculous because of how bad James was at the game lol. I guess it's just cos he's not used to playing modern games though.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair, getting game overs in Wave Ocean on the first playthrough isn't exactly difficult. There's a lot I could say about level design that kills you through no fault of your own, but I think that's most of all exemplified by the fact that you can slip off scripted sequences to your death, and that the machspeed section, while still a fucking stupid idea in general, has a boostpad jump that leads right into a fence you can't escape from, killing you. That kind of thing trips people up regardless of how good they are in general with 3D platformers.

Also, I know it was mentioned earlier, but I still find it amusing that you literally have to jump through hoops in order to get to the actual game part of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that it matters, but I never got a game over on Wave Ocean and the first time I played it I was 9 years old. 

In fact, the only part that ever tripped me up because of Bad Level Design or Difficulty was Silver's Dusty Desert Ball Puzzle.

Not that it matters, but I never got a game over on Wave Ocean and the first time I played it I was 9 years old. 

In fact, the only part that ever tripped me up because of Bad Level Design or Difficulty was Silver's Dusty Desert Ball Puzzle.

Let me guess, you also never got stuck on a wall as Knuckles and Rouge. After all, there's nothing wrong with 06 in your world.

Sometimes it seems that because of the games is so unpolished, it is hard. Personally, I think it's rather easy. Before the End of the world because of those annoying time portals or whatever they are.

But as with game before that, when I played the game first time, I got game over once, in Shadow's Kingdom valley because of the hovercraft sections camera. It so easy to get by a tower, which is insta-kill.

And when it comes to Wawe ocean, it in the end rather easy if you get used to controls, which I personally was able to do (I died once). When it comes to deaths by glitches, well I personally didn't have them. Also the mach speed section isn't so bad, at least compared to the likes of Crisis City and especially Radical Train.

I think that the worst part is the Ball puzzle. First time I bybassed it but I decided to really try it. It took 22 minutes

Let me guess, you also never got stuck on a wall as Knuckles and Rouge. After all, there's nothing wrong with 06 in your world.

Lol, when did I ever say that? 

I've gotten stuck on a wall a few times with Rouge and Knuckles before tbh.

But when did I say that there wasn't anything wrong with this game?

I say all the time that it isn't perfect, so where are you getting this from? :T

This type of condescension does nothing for a topic that's already gone through the wringer many times before. Cool it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Wave Ocean isn't difficult in itself at all, it's difficult because of how broken the stage is, especially in the Mach Speed Area that has scripts that far too occasionally go wrong and unavoidably kill you. It's even worse considering Sonic '06 doesn't autosave so it's right back to the Opening Cutscene. And like I said earlier, Silver comes right after. Incredible!

I'm I the only one who liked Blaze's section in Silver's first level? 

Nope. I did too. She's easily the best supporting character in the game. She's fast and has got a good accelerator jump, a rapid fire claw attack and an effective spin attack. I even once glitched the end of her section so I could complete the rest of Crisis City as her instead of Silver. Shame you don't get to play much of her.

As for Wave Ocean, it was the mach speed section that would sometimes screw me over. Running on the right side of the last loop can send you flying into the sea, away from the dash panel. I died a few times during my first playthrough.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope. I did too. She's easily the best supporting character in the game. She's got a good accelerator jump, a rapid fire claw attack and an effective spin attack. I even once glitched the end of her section so I could complete the rest of Crisis City as her instead of Silver. Shame you don't get to play much of her.

As for Wave Ocean, it was the mach speed section that would sometimes screw me over. Running on the right side of the last loop can send you flying into the sea, away from the dash panel. I died a few times during my first playthrough.

To me these sections are how Sonic should be playing, she's fast, she has fast combat, and the controls aren't half bad either. These sections also made me realize why the controls suck so much, they were loose and sensitive so you could Sonic at high speed, issue is that because most of the characters are so slow these controls do not work and just end with you having difficulty controlling the characters.