Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Also, Mefiresu working on this project with Gistix. And he showing to us in russian forum some screenshots, looks wonerful! I think this time to SAVE Sonic world, lol.

TUQapfPQugo.jpg

PNr02iVkG_A.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy shit those look like press release screenshots. the only compliant I have is that the energy bar is a little too big, fit it to where 2006 was and it'll be perfect!

So Xenia, the xbox 360 emulator, is showing some real progress. guess what melpontro tried?

May not look soo hot right now but soon enough we'll have fully working xbox 360 emulation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only thing I can come up with in regards to the convoluted nature of Mephiles' plan is that the trauma of being split into 2 beings affected his sanity, so he desires vengeance but keeps coming up with a billion different plans for revenge while in the scepter that eventually blended together into one super plan that makes sense to him, but in reality makes no sense at all from an objective standpoint.

I also think that after Solaris was destroyed in the 06 timeline, Solaris and 06 Silver ended up outside of all timelines (this ties into my "Solaris is the Warden of Time and there is only one of him, while everyone else has multiple versions of themselves with their own universe" theory I mentioned here: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/18975-the-sonic-mythos-under-your-pen-how-would-you-write-the-series/?do=findComment&comment=947875) and decided to stick to keep an eye on timelines to keep things in check from behind the scenes, and that this conversation would pop up at some point:

Solaris (when asked about the stupid plan he had as Mephiles by 06 Silver): I was traumatized by being forcibly split into two beings at the time! What did you expect, a coherent and sensible idea!? Besides, YOU'RE the one who kept on listening to my every word and never bothered to think about it even though I was a mouthless crystal demon creature at the time! What's YOUR excuse?
06 Silver: I was desperate and my world was on the edge of destruction! Besides, nearly EVERYONE in that timeline was being an idiot! Why are you singling me out for it!?
Solaris: You were around me more than nearly anyone else in that world, and the only other person who knew what was going on actually did something about it! You have no excuse!
06 Silver: Blaze was there too! She didn't stop me at the time, and she usually knows better than I do!

Solaris: Oh was she a person? I just thought she was a prop you happened to drag around until that rather odd moment where she sealed half of me into herself.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anywhere online I can download Sonic 06 to play? Is the only way to play the game via Xbox 360/PS3? Also I thought Steam might have it by now, but they dont.

Is there anywhere online I can download Sonic 06 to play? Is the only way to play the game via Xbox 360/PS3? Also I thought Steam might have it by now, but they dont.

No, there was a PC version planned, but nope. They also had an online version for Xbox, but they took it down. The only way you'll be able to play it, to my knowledge, is to buy a copy and the system corresponding to it since the emulators for PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't entirely functional yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://andrearitsu.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/just-how-did-sonic-2006-happen/

It’s summer 2005 and production is moving forward with Sonic 2006, the next big presentation will be at Tokyo Game Show (TGS) in September and the team is working hard to make things presentable in time. The story has begun taking shape and some early in-game levels were created to test the physics. While the team has faced major struggles with working on the new hardware and have had to basically recreate everything from previous 3D Sonic games from scratch, it’s not a problem that any team working on new generation tech hadn’t expected.

The target platform during development for Sonic 2006 was PlayStation 3, but the game was also meant to see release on Xbox 360 and Wii. The latter might come as a surprise to some, but it’s actually true. Before the team had received the development units for Nintendo’s new console, they assumed it would be easy to port a PlayStation 3 game over to it as they had done the previous generation with the Gamecube developed Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. Once the team got their hands on the dev units however, things changed.

Realizing that porting a game developed for PlayStation 3 to Wii would be a major feat, Ogawa, the director of the entire Sonic 2006 project, decided to split the development team and take charge of the part responsible for porting the game to Nintendo’s system. While doing this, the team focusing on core development was left without a director. As such, directorial duties were passed down to Nakamura who had to pick up from where Ogawa had left off and work with this smaller team to get something ready for TGS. At least the two were still working on the same game, so they were still somewhat on the same page and able to communicate.

However, that didn’t last long as Ogawa soon realized that the idea of porting Sonic 2006 to Wii was not worth trying and instead took the sizable portion of the development team he had charge of and left the Sonic 2006 altogether to work on a new game, Sonic and the Secret Rings. At this point in time Nakamura had to not only take over Ogawa‘s duties, but do so with a smaller team than originally intended for the project. Why SEGA allowed this to happen is unclear, but it’s not hard to imagine that they wanted to make sure they had Sonic covered for Nintendo’s system as well and just went with the flow.

So yeah, things pretty much started to go wrong the original director abandoned it to work on Secret Rings, and took most of the team with him. Then Naka left and took more members of the team with him to start his own studio.

• 3 weeks later...

No, there was a PC version planned, but nope. They also had an online version for Xbox, but they took it down. The only way you'll be able to play it, to my knowledge, is to buy a copy and the system corresponding to it since the emulators for PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't entirely functional yet.

The game is getting closer to being playable on Xenia, though, gameplay glitches caused by emulation are gone, only graphical issues remain now.

Intriguing. I wonder what engine this runs on.

Looking forward to faffing around in this and seeing if anyone builds on top of it.

This isn't the only porting attempt of Sonic 06, there's also BrianuuuSonic and Co. I don't particularly agree with the "1:1" conversion take it's going for though.

Edited by Amomynous

Never understood why every time Sonic 06 gets a semblance of a fan recreation, the creators want to do a 1:1 remake. Sonic 06 2D, Briannu's 06 Generations mod, and now Gistix's Unity project. It's baffling.

06's stages are pretty neat and I feel might somewhat deserve a second try at them, but in all honesty, why do people feel that it's little intricacies that made it so bad to begin with (like Sonic's model and animations for one, or the jerky and completely busted control mechanics, or the overabundance of dash panels, or even the amount of dull color and realism and awful story elements) are worth salvaging in a fan remake?

It's like a lot of these people really do believe that the only problem with 06 were it's glitches, and that making a version without them would suddenly make people like it.

I want to see 06's levels realized, if anything. Like full on Adventure-esque gameplay, not 06's terrible attempt to be it. With altered level design and object placement, so that it isn't some automated mess with too many objects making a mass visual clutter. And throw away the story elements involved, because that stuff is so bad there's no way I can think of it being salvaged without the solution being just as convoluted as the plot itself.

It's for all of these reasons I almost feel like 06 would never benefit from a remake, because there's so many problems with it that improving them all would make a different game altogether. 

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 9

I'm pretty sure someone suggested some dozens of pages ago that the story might have been a lot more interesting if Mephiles got what he wanted pretty much near the start of the game, and the majority of the narrative consisted of finding a way to revert End of the World and save Elise? I still think that's kind of a neat idea, but in hindsight that's pretty much what Generations turned out to be - only replace Mephiles with the Time Eater, and End of the World with white space or whatever the fuck it was called. Funny, that. Anyway, the point I'm making is that Mephiles is a fucking moron and a lot of the story depends on the rest of the cast being even dumber than he is. I feel he'd be a much more respectable villain if he actually got shit done and stayed a step ahead of everyone while he was at it - he's the only person in the game who can time travel accurately and completely at will for fuck's sake, it wouldn't even be hard - rather than trying to play the long game and depending on everybody else's incompetence to make it work.

On another note I wanted to make gameplay speaking, it is mostly ass, but one thing I found interesting is that it had the faintest signs of a combat system in which moves had some synergy with one another and making a combo just depended on which move was the best one to use in the position you ended up from your last one - example, you float straight up after a Homing Attack, which is the perfect position to follow up with a Bounce. Stupid unlock system aside (seriously, why in god's name would you leave the Bounce upgrade until the very last level when combat is almost completely intolerable without it?), what bothers me the most about it is that they seemingly did this by complete accident and didn't realize there was anything to gain by expanding on it. And I kinda wanna see that fleshed out sometime? Not even necessarily in a Sonic game, I'd just like to see a beat-em-up game in which positioning relative to your opponent is key and not memorizing dozens of rounds of Simon Says for generic combo moves. If ever some fan decides 06 needs yet another remake, I feel like that's where they should be building on most in terms of gameplay, if for no other reason than it's basically the only positive thing that separates it from any other Adventure style game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only way I ever thought a story based on the outer ideas of 06 would work is if we just connected these pieces easier and made Soleanna where Blaze came from and she's the princess and she's just the same as she was in Rush. And then we have where Solaris came from a scepter (like the one from Rush Adventure) and was a crazy fire beast, like a parallel of Chaos except fire instead of water, and with the Sol Emeralds. Oh yeah, and let's get rid of the Mephiles and Iblis thing because that was dumb.

And even then, that's about as far as I get because it still feels like it'd be too serious for it's own good (...actually it'd just seem like a rip-off of SA1's story probably). If it wasn't then it'd probably just not be anything like 06's story.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 7

and let's get rid of the Mephiles thing because that was dumb.

Funnily enough, I think Dark Gaia could be recreated into a Mephiles-esque character, and in the case of everyone suddenly losing IQ points could be chalked up to his Hate Plague ability affecting everyone's judgement (and he WOULD probably be able to do it considering his remains cover the entire planet). Additionally the reason why he would only occasionally nudge characters in a certain direction and other times not do anything is because he wants to show Light Gaia how cruel and stupid humanity (and anthros) are capable of being even with minimal influence on his part, and thus Light Gaia/Chip would have less reason to do his duty and make it easier for Dark Gaia to destroy the world unhindered (but due to Sonic and others Chip would realize that while people are flawed they aren't necessarily bad people as a whole and thus gives him more reason to defend them). In regards to Sonic and the main cast, he would instead manipulate them via amplifying their flaws just enough (this is especially easy for Sonic since he would have a bit of Dark Gaia in him), thus allowing him to sow dissent and confusion.

And now to actually be on topic:

Anyway, the point I'm making is that Mephiles is a fucking moron and a lot of the story depends on the rest of the cast being even dumber than he is.

The sad thing is that the stupidity of his plans could have been partially justified if it had been mentioned that he had suffered great mental trauma from being split into two separate beings, thus causing him to make his plans more convoluted than needed. Also the only reason why time travel makes no sense in this plot is because Mephile doesn't simply have the ability to time travel, but also the ability to change the RULES of time travel/reality warping itself, thus screwing everything up considerably. Granted it doesn't explain the loss of brain cells in everyone else, but it still would have been something.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like it. The plot was bad, the gameplay was meh, and the loading screens were HORRIBLE.The best parts of the game was the music and glitches! And there are TONS of glitches.

I didn't even know someone was trying to port this game to PC until now. I guess those who never played it will get to try it and see what all the fuss is about.

I really can't help but wonder what the game would've been like had it actually been finished. The story and setting would still very likely have been a bust, but it's the gameplay that I'm curious about. It still probably wouldn't have been that great, but perhaps it would've at least been bearable. But we'll never know...

Unless they remake the game next year in honor of its tenth anniversary.

Edited by DarkSamus117

I didn't even know someone was trying to port this game to PC until now. I guess those who never played it will get to try it and see what all the fuss is about.

I really can't help but wonder what the game would've been like had it actually been finished. The story and setting would still very likely have been a bust, but it's the gameplay that I'm curious about. It still probably wouldn't have been that great, but perhaps it would've at least been bearable. But we'll never know...

Hidden Content

I don't understand the complaints about the story - seemed fine to me. Then again I enjoyed the game so I think I was too busy enjoying it to pay much attention to the details lol

I'm trying to play through it and the game is sort of fun for me when I ignore the glitches and humans straight out of the uncanny valley.

But why is the first Iblis battle in Crisis City (In the beginning of Silver's story) way easier than fighting Silver himself? Like it was hard but it wasn't as hellish as the "IT'S NO USE" - ATHON. Like it's after the first Silver fight aren't these things supposed to get harder? Some level segments are a bit flawed but it's not that bad for me once I figure them out (but I do suck at these games). I haven't finished any of the stories though. White Acropolis' snowboarding section is pretty funky, I gotta finish it...

But in terms of Sonelise, I guess other than the fact that they introduced someone else to be Sonic's girl and not Amy it would have been more tolerable if Elise wasn't so... human-like... I wish that they would have had the cartoon-y Unleashed style ones from the get-go... And a normal Eggman.

Edited by juliejo2001

I have yet to play it (bought it today and am expecting it to come some time next week).

I'm keeping an open mind for it and not listening to what anyone says until I've played some of it. Although, number one thing people should know, I love glitches in video games and seeing the glitches in this game have definitely made me interested.

But why is the first Iblis battle in Crisis City (In the beginning of Silver's story) way easier than fighting Silver himself?

This is actually pretty typical of games that've gone through some kind of development hell - the ones that ever get released usually focus on raw content to prioritize having a game that's at least playable on an absolute basic level, so they have something to release at all when they've exhausted all other avenues. This usually means balancing and polishing is left til last when all the more major concerns - the kind that would leave games either fundementally unfinished or potentially unwinnable otherwise - are solved.

In normal game development this isn't a problem, but when dev hell occurs that last step of polishing tends not to get touched on very much. Either because development is artificially stretched out by completely redoing the engine and most of the assets from scratch to constantly introduce new problems, or - in '06's case specifically - the development team is given an absolutely draconian deadline and simply lack the time to fine-tune. In a more ideal scenario I'm sure they would've left a visible indication that Silver can counter you, or at the very least had one of your buddies obsessively shout advice at you ala Iblis 3, but chances are they ran out of time and what we see ingame is simply the last work the were able to do on the boss fight before the game went gold.

Mind you, there are big problems at the very core of '06's design that would have persisted regardless, so I'm not convinced stretching out development for another year or a half would've done much more than some bugfixes and learning curve changes. Absolute best case scenario, it would've been merely flawed and unmemorable rather than hilariously bad, and even that's being pretty generous.

• Thumbs Up 2