thedarkknight

Official Sonic 2006 topic

I'm trying to play through it and the game is sort of fun for me when I ignore the glitches and humans straight out of the uncanny valley.

But why is the first Iblis battle in Crisis City (In the beginning of Silver's story) way easier than fighting Silver himself? Like it was hard but it wasn't as hellish as the "IT'S NO USE" - ATHON. Like it's after the first Silver fight aren't these things supposed to get harder? Some level segments are a bit flawed but it's not that bad for me once I figure them out (but I do suck at these games). I haven't finished any of the stories though. White Acropolis' snowboarding section is pretty funky, I gotta finish it...

But in terms of Sonelise, I guess other than the fact that they introduced someone else to be Sonic's girl and not Amy it would have been more tolerable if Elise wasn't so... human-like... I wish that they would have had the cartoon-y Unleashed style ones from the get-go... And a normal Eggman.

Edited by juliejo2001

I have yet to play it (bought it today and am expecting it to come some time next week).

I'm keeping an open mind for it and not listening to what anyone says until I've played some of it. Although, number one thing people should know, I love glitches in video games and seeing the glitches in this game have definitely made me interested.

But why is the first Iblis battle in Crisis City (In the beginning of Silver's story) way easier than fighting Silver himself?

This is actually pretty typical of games that've gone through some kind of development hell - the ones that ever get released usually focus on raw content to prioritize having a game that's at least playable on an absolute basic level, so they have something to release at all when they've exhausted all other avenues. This usually means balancing and polishing is left til last when all the more major concerns - the kind that would leave games either fundementally unfinished or potentially unwinnable otherwise - are solved.

In normal game development this isn't a problem, but when dev hell occurs that last step of polishing tends not to get touched on very much. Either because development is artificially stretched out by completely redoing the engine and most of the assets from scratch to constantly introduce new problems, or - in '06's case specifically - the development team is given an absolutely draconian deadline and simply lack the time to fine-tune. In a more ideal scenario I'm sure they would've left a visible indication that Silver can counter you, or at the very least had one of your buddies obsessively shout advice at you ala Iblis 3, but chances are they ran out of time and what we see ingame is simply the last work the were able to do on the boss fight before the game went gold.

Mind you, there are big problems at the very core of '06's design that would have persisted regardless, so I'm not convinced stretching out development for another year or a half would've done much more than some bugfixes and learning curve changes. Absolute best case scenario, it would've been merely flawed and unmemorable rather than hilariously bad, and even that's being pretty generous.

Huh, guess this project can make 06 pretty decent to play, it will still probably pretty tedious to play with all the combat sections in Shadow and Silver's story but I guess the decent Sonic levels will actually be fun and having Metal would be really cool!

I didn't enjoy Sonic '06, but I certainly didn't hate it like a lot of people in the community. However, I do like to push myself when playing it. Not too long ago I just cleared all S Ranks for Sonic's stages, one of my greatest achievements in Sonic. c:

Speaking of Sonic '06, does anyone know how to get the "Nights of Kronos" achievement? I think you have to beat both missions in the Last Story with S Ranks, but that doesn't seem possible with how challenging End of the World can be. Even at my best on that stage, I only got a B.

I only recently learned of this project last night, coincidentally while making a playlist on my iPod that follows the tracklist of SA1, but mainly using music from '06 (Tikal has My Destiny [Karaoke]).  I  then showed this topic to a Canadian friend of mine (Geno from the Cutstuff forums) and she was a bit surprised.  Especially when I brought up that this may fix Silver's AI, so that he doesn't stunlock you with "Take this!  It's no use (ad infinitum)"

Will Silver go fast?

If the team is planning to restore the Power Gems to their original what-they-were-supposed-to-do states then Silver should have a speed Gem and speed upgrades (which are still in the games coding) handy.

Hopefully the recreation team is researching all that was found when CulT, Retro, and other groups looked at the games innards ages ago. hell I want that Super Gem to be restored it was real stupid for Sonic Team to never have finished that Gem.

Has the idea of remaking Sonic '06 for the franchises 25th anniversary and it's 10th anniversary ever been brought up? I'd love to see it with Generation's models...

and an Unleashed style Elise (seriously the human models in that game were Pixar quality stuff!)

Has the idea of remaking Sonic '06 for the franchises 25th anniversary and it's 10th anniversary ever been brought up? I'd love to see it with Generation's models...

and an Unleashed style Elise (seriously the human models in that game were Pixar quality stuff!)

I don't think SEGA/Sonic Team will ever consider remaking Sonic '06. :c

I don't think SEGA/Sonic Team will ever consider remaking Sonic '06. :c

it's a shame too, the CGI cutscenes in the game still look amazing by today's standards. just take out all the humanxhedgehog garbage and fix the glitches and it probably wouldn't be that bad.

it's a shame too, the CGI cutscenes in the game still look amazing by today's standards. just take out all the humanxhedgehog garbage and fix the glitches and it probably wouldn't be that bad.

I've seen people saying Sonic 06 CGI cutscenes makes it look like a Final Fantasy game...which I don't mind because I do like FF and the CGI cutscenes in 06 were beautiful. But I'm just letting you know that it has been criticized.

I can't remember where, but I've actually heard a joke of someone expressing their views on the opening cinematic of '06, saying "is this Final Fantasy or Sonic the Hedgehog?"

Oh, and I'm sure everyone here is aware of YouTube user Clement's review on Sonic '06, right?

It's like 3 1/2 hours long!

The biggest rant on any video game I've ever seen, and it's actually kind of funny too. But man, you have to be dedicated to watch it all in one sitting.

I can't remember where, but I've actually heard a joke of someone expressing their views on the opening cinematic of '06, saying "is this Final Fantasy or Sonic the Hedgehog?"

Oh, and I'm sure everyone here is aware of YouTube user Clement's review on Sonic '06, right?

It's like 3 1/2 hours long!

The biggest rant on any video game I've ever seen, and it's actually kind of funny too. But man, you have to be dedicated to watch it all in one sitting.

Was it Dunkey you were thinking of? That video was hilarious!