Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

The comparison wasn't for the sake of literally DOOMED FOREVER so much as to say that Sonic has since largely lost his magic spark, and that thanks to '06 everything else he ever stars in is subject to intense scorn and scrutiny. Which depending on your viewpoint and how much you've paid attention to Bomberman post-Act Zero, is arguably just as bad, because all the success stories end up buried and every failure is seen as so predictable that nearly every review to memory carries a line about his past in the opening paragraph. It's the kind of stigma I've yet to see any franchise completely shake, let alone Sonic.

Ah, that makes it more bearable a statement then. I dunno though, Colors and Generations bringing in the "Sonic is finally good again" mantra, kinda flips this idea belly side though because that implies that this lifted the weight, curse, or whatever you want to call it that is 06 from Sonic. When these games first came around, people thought about 06 and didn't say "Hey, this series is still bad and it won't be quite the same because of this" but rather "wow, I thought Sega would never be able to bring it back, but they did". Well, most people anyway, there really are no absolutes at all. Even if most biased reviewers were ready to jump at the bit to call out 06 on being terrible even though it's long gone. 

To be quite frank though, if a game came along and blew almost everything else in the series out of the water, would we really still bemoan the fact that Sega flubbed up with 06? I really don't think so, which is why I made that statement in the first place, as terribly put as it is. So, I guess the reason 06 is only seen as a stain on Sonic's reputation is because nothing has come along to prove that the series can do a lot of things right. Bomberman post-Act Zero is sort of the same case since the Bomberman games haven't really done anything super amazing to drive home the fact that they've become better developers because of it. Most Bomberman games made after it are pretty bare-bones, or at least what I've seen of it. 

There's still the matter of us remembering how badly the game was produced, but the credibility Sega lost for the game can be recovered with some good content.

Speaking of success stories, historical context is important when talking about reception - people were pretty cranky that Sonic delayed Brawl for months regardless of early hype, and many still cringe if you mention "werehog" out aloud, so "literally no one" is perhaps not entirely accurate. =V

Haha, yeah, that was poor word choice for the "literally no one" bit

but that was mainly to point out that most people thought of positive things when they reacted to these two things. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that more people were hyped for the Daytime stages and Sonic being in Brawl at all, as opposed to the people who were angry about Werehog and the game being delayed respectively. 

That Project by Gistix has been update recently  : O

its looking real good, hopefully it controls better then 2006 did.

On 12/6/2015 at 7:14 AM, DBZHedgy said:

To be quite frank though, if a game came along and blew almost everything else in the series out of the water, would we really still bemoan the fact that Sega flubbed up with 06?

Well......obviously yes. Seriously, it's been a well documented fact amongst all fanbases that no matter how good a successor  in the franchise is or might be, they aren't going to stop bringing up major problems with some of the series' worst and for good reason: "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". And the boatload of problems in Sonic 06's is one giant mistake arsenal we certainly don't want repeated .

In most cases it'd be foolish not to keep reminisce of the past failures anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's important to note that Sonic as a character hasn't lost any notable amount of good will, hence why he can appear in spin-offs or random advertising without anyone batting an eye. It's the games that have lost credibility. Losing credibility also isn't an all-or-nothing thing; the social context surrounding a franchise's popularity is dependent on a multitude of factors, so a few success stories won't necessarily change a fumbling legacy for the better unless they are in a similar magnitude of change to whatever prompted people to have a negative outlook in the first place. This is why it's easy for anyone to admit Generations was good while still shitting on the franchise as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 9

So basically, for Sonic to be 'redeemed' in the general public's view, a future Sonic game has to be as good as Sonic 06 is bad....usually I'm an optimist, but this situation looks rather bleak.

(Thinks positive thoughts about Sonic's next anniversary.)

It comes down to be "good" but it depend what there defintion of good is. But yeah, if they wanna fix the franchise they need something new. Let go of ideas that outlive there poetental and expend on the ones that got people to love Sonic in the first place. Its hard but if they want a good fanbase for the Sonic franchsise then its a risk they have to take. 

Losing credibility also isn't an all-or-nothing thing; the social context surrounding a franchise's popularity is dependent on a multitude of factors, so a few success stories won't necessarily change a fumbling legacy for the better unless they are in a similar magnitude of change to whatever prompted people to have a negative outlook in the first place. This is why it's easy for anyone to admit Generations was good while still shitting on the franchise as a whole.

That's basically the point I was trying to make

that if a steady and well made incline of quality were to occur, that credibility or that spark that Sonic once had would be reignited.

Even though you said this isn't the case for Generations and Colors, we've all heard the reviews of "Sonic is back to his old glory again" and so on but those statements were retracted when Lost World and Sonic Boom came out because people are upset at the fact that after such a nice progression it all just went down the toilet again. Again, people only really thought about 06 in a "well I'm glad that phase is over" when looking at Colors and Generations, not a negative "it's because of 06 that Generations and Colors will never be good". People will stop whining about the franchise as a whole if there were consistently good content. But the fact of the matter is that it hasn't done that. It will take more than a few success stories, yes, but it is very possible. Otherwise the "Sonic is good again" chant people were going on about would've never arose in the first place.

I made my argument in the context of arguing for Blacklightning's proposition: that the franchise (meaning the games) has not actually recovered from Sonic 06. It is possible for the franchise to fully recover from this, but we all (now) seem to be in agreement that it has not yet. That part you quoted is thus in reference to your rebuttal that the lack of recovery was instead entirely false on the basis that Sonic was accepted in Brawl or that Unleashed wasn't as panned as Sonic 06 was. You can disassociate the parts from the sum to discuss the quality of both. So just because people were happy that Sonic was in Brawl or recognized that Unleashed was better than 06 doesn't mean that the franchise had shaken its reputation.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hidden Content

New screens with Ultra video settings. Spoilered for size. 

Wow.

This looks very nice. I don't have a PC I'll be able to play this on, sadly. But I still look forward to other people enjoying Sonic '06. c:

Is anyone here familiar with modding their console? I've heard the term before, but I'm not completely sure as to what it is.

Why I'm asking, I seen someone on YouTube unlock the hidden (and broken) Super Sonic gem for '06. Yeah the game is broken, but I would love trying this out sometime!

If it were something risky to do like banning my account or breaking my Xbox, it wouldn't be hard for me to find a cheap gen 1 model somewhere around here strictly for modding purposes. c:

Modding an X360 requires hardware modifications, the jTag is the best one. It should cost 80€ (manpower included) or so.

Edited by Sonikko

I don't know what that is. xD

And what's a jTag?

I'd be more than willing to mod a separate console for the sake of making '06 better, but it already sounds like I'm going to need a "Modding for Dummies" book first.

I think I'm gonna play Sonic '06 when I have access to my Xbox 360 again in a few weeks. Awful game for sure, but I've always had some kind of fascination with it, if that makes sense, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awful game for sure, but I've always had some kind of fascination with it, if that makes sense, lol.

Of course it does. Everyone has their own story with Sonic '06. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course it does. Everyone has their own story with Sonic '06. c:

So true lol. Definition of a trainwreck, you can't take your eyes off of it.

Edited by Weedy Speedy

So true lol. Definition of a trainwreck - so awful, but you can't take your eyes off of it.

Speaking of train wrecks, do you remember the Radical Train stage? I think it was one of my favorites, because you actually got to chase down a train. Scenes like this in Sonic have always fascinated me because Sonic never really has to chase anything down, being the fastest thing ever. Of course, realistically Sonic could have caught the train with ease, but the scene was wonderful nonetheless. The same thing goes with chasing down the new Egg Carrier, the music playing during the mach speed section made the stage that much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been watching this for months and have been totally fascinated with the project.

Not because I like the general idea, no. But the fact that there's so much effort being put into this to make it as 1:1 as possible, and how incredible it is that they've got that close to replicating it. I just don't understand and will never understand why anyone who ever touches upon 06 doesn't want to fix it but instead just copy everything about it as if it had no problems besides loading times and certain glitches..

This is everything that Sonic 2006 2D project was, and then some. Just why? Why not actually change the mechanics and a few bits of it to improve the game's quality, instead of sticking with ideas that made it so bad in the first place? I mean yeah you could always end up liking those concepts and ideas 06 had, but that only adds to how amazingly happenstance the entire project is. 

A small group with immaculate amounts of skill genuinely like and want to verbatim remake one of the worst games ever made (and this isn't even the first fan game to do this)... it's just funny how that kind of thing turns out. I mean, more power to them, I guess? It's just amazing because it makes you wonder where those kind of people are for different better games. 

yes I reposted this from retro, ssh

• Thumbs Up 8

I think their idea is to have the PC version that SEGA cancelled out so that after it's out fans can go about either fixing it themselves or making interesting mods like the ones for Gens and Lost World.

Speaking of train wrecks, do you remember the Radical Train stage? I think it was one of my favorites, because you actually got to chase down a train. Scenes like this in Sonic have always fascinated me because Sonic never really has to chase anything down, being the fastest thing ever. Of course, realistically Sonic could have caught the train with ease, but the scene was wonderful nonetheless. The same thing goes with chasing down the new Egg Carrier, the music playing during the mach speed section made the stage that much better.

Sure I remember it, it was probably the least offensive stage in the game honestly. Had a really good music track, too.

My favorite stage was always Kingdom Valley though, at least with Sonic. Shadow's and especially Silver's versions can go :):):):) themselves.

My favorite stage was always Kingdom Valley though, at least with Sonic. Shadow's and especially Silver's versions can go :):):):) themselves.

Wow, that's a lot of smiley faces. c:

I wasn't too crazy about Shadow's Kingdom valley level, and I always broke the game with Silver's and just stayed as Sonic.

...Yeah, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm having mixed feelings about that Sonic '06 PC Fanport, too.

I mean, on one hand, I can't help but admire that it's sticking so faithfully to the game proper. And yet, on the other hand, that it's not really going for improving the flaws that the game has just... makes me to want to avoid playing it, knowing that I still wouldn't really have a fun time with it. It's... all kinda confusing for me, really. :unsure:

• Thumbs Up 1

1:1? I don't know about you guys, but unless its the framerate playing tricks on me, this looks MUCH faster than 06 as is.

He had to chase down the bombs that were set on the train track, not the train.

• Thumbs Up 1

At one point, I do remember Gistix saying that there would be some liberties taken to change it around a bit for the better, but he's mainly trying to focus on replicating it first.

I hope he fixes Sonic's Homing Attack to something similar to what Melpontro did to it in his hacks.

• Thumbs Up 3

1:1? I don't know about you guys, but unless its the framerate playing tricks on me, this looks MUCH faster than 06 as is.

It's the framerate playing tricks on you. Game looks identical to 06, down to the very way it handles shading. It's spot on.

At one point, I do remember Gistix saying that there would be some liberties taken to change it around a bit for the better, but he's mainly trying to focus on replicating it first.

I hope he fixes Sonic's Homing Attack to something similar to what Melpontro did to it in his hacks.

Thing is, whatever liberties he has taken or will take are so little that it means basically nothing in the big picture. If they wanted to actually improve the game, they'd not only have to improve the homing attack (as they have), but..

There's also the way the level design is built for automation in specific areas, which would have to be changed if you don't want the game to continuously play itself. Then there's the Spin Dash, which would need to actually move like a Spin Dash to not feel really clunky and strange to control. Then there's the "too many moves on one button" problem that'd have to be fixed because noone at Sega seemed to think that was a good idea until 2008, and then there's the cheap shot death pits surrounding every possible corner that'd have to be improved upon somewhat to be bearable (meaning building more level design). Then the combat system (and the lack of ability to hit enemies with a regular jump) would have to be severely changed / removed just to make the game less tedious and stop-and-go. 

Then the art style would have to be improved somewhat to be less bland and dull.. and the models for characters and NPCs changed to actually look like Sonic stuff and not really ugly or out of place (probably changed to Unleashed style or something like it).. and then the story changed to be less confusing and dumb super-serious junk.. and either the removal of the in-game dialogue or an ability to toggle it..

You see what I'm saying?

The game's got so many problems from all directions that fixing one thing isn't going to fix everything else. While a few people in particular may just so happen to like most of the game's design decisions (I'm sure Bubsy 3D and Superman 64 have their fans), most believe the game to be pretty bad on all fronts, and to make this game good would require such a huge reimagining that it wouldn't even be the same game anymore. 

It'd be interesting, though, which is why I wish the talents behind this would've been for something like that, but I digress. 

• Thumbs Up 6