Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I remember trying to play Crisis City Hard with Sonic on my PS3. Was stuck/couldn't move 10 seconds in. :lol:

I remember trying to play Crisis City Hard with Sonic on my PS3. Was stuck/couldn't move 10 seconds in. :lol:

I remember trying to do the Mach Speed section while keeping all my rings. xD

...Yeah, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm having mixed feelings about that Sonic '06 PC Fanport, too.

I mean, on one hand, I can't help but admire that it's sticking so faithfully to the game proper. And yet, on the other hand, that it's not really going for improving the flaws that the game has just... makes me to want to avoid playing it, knowing that I still wouldn't really have a fun time with it. It's... all kinda confusing for me, really. :unsure:

yeah i have to agree. i watch it and alot of the things seem still the same and Sonic is still very slow. 

Sonic does still seem slow, but the gameplay and loading times look a lot better. c:

Which honestly, Sonic being slow wasn't the biggest complaint the game got. I mean, I know Sonic is pretty slow compared to most games in '06, but I've barely heard about that compared to the loading times and glitches. If anything, it seems the team is tackling the major issues before the minor. To that, I cheer them on. c:

I just read the previous page and this one in some detail, and I get that someone or a team has possible idea's to try and remake/fix Sonic '06 in some way?

I personally think that the game has too many flaws ( Amongst well-known ones like incredibly long load times, overly bland HUB worlds and poor mechanics ones I found really irritating being the overuse of speed boost pads on non-automated sections, boss battles that drag out for way too long and incredibly frustrating side-missions of which a few are mandatory) and a already hugely despised reputation for how much of a negative impact it had on the series as a whole that it majorly feels like a waste to try and remake the game in a serious endeavor, and just use some idea's from '06 for a different endeavor that feels more in line with Sonic's style and target demographic.  Generations'  inclusion of Crisis City was the best kind of fanservice and homage to the game in a positive manner I could honestly think to have been implemented in the series, few musical pieces aside.

Art and storyline-wise, while I will say it looks less hideous and slightly more in line with what the 3D series established for Sonic than what the previous mainstream title, Shadow's spinoff established with it's hideous in-game human models and overly dark grim atmosphere, it honestly isn't saying much when looking at it past the CGI intro cutscenes of all the 3 main characters, and the final ending cutscene.  While I don't think much of how kind of uninteresting the whole Soleanna setting looked and the humans being fairly generic with almost no one standing out, it was amusing to see Eggman's first grand introduction in the game that befits his main villain status in the games, and Sonic jumping in to annoy him, it's sadly one of the rare times I ever felt it was like a actual Sonic game.

The stages while kind of varied in it's setting and environment, just overal majorly felt very bleak and either not that thrilling to explore/blast through, or just plain frustrating like the mach speed sections or cheap instant-death traps they sporadically toss at you. None of Sonic's friends felt like their usual comical/unique selves like Omega ever outing his intense feud with Eggman, Tails' humourous interactions with Sonic that showed their bond was non-existent and Knuckles' presence was just...there as a messenger in his first appeareance, to name a few notable ones, and Eggman's portrayal was barely like what I'd expect from the series' mainstay villain. He felt like a strange mix of a typical James Bond villain with his exposition in the scenes that have him talking, and a less amusing Bowser with his attempts to constantly kidnap Elise. None of the bombastic temper tantrums were there except for the first intro cutscene, his narcissism not present, and just felt boring compared to how much more focus was given to Mephiles.

Overall just a meh title when looking at it non-gameplay issues-wise.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I read this headcanon in a group on Facebook about the end of Sonic '06, Sonic's memory, and the flame of Solaris. I just realized it has a hole in it, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Instead of posting it directly, let me just explain it in my own words. Basically, this dude is saying that this scene (below) in '06 implies that Sonic actually remembers the adventure he had in '06. I can't say for sure what gives him this idea, but I also get the feeling it's trying to represent something. This would make sense, because why else would Sonic remember Crisis City in '06?

Jnie397.jpg

However, here's the hole I found. Sonic didn't remember Silver in Rivals. This could either be true, or Sonic is acting like he doesn't remember because he knows Silver won't remember. But it could happen, right? Weirder things have happened in the series.

Another thing, there's no evidence (at least to my knowledge) that Sonic's memory was actually wiped.

Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 1

Plot holes, that's all I get.

I believe Sonic would not remember a thing, like everyone else. Which is why I don't like the ending for '06... although the story overall sucks.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I read this headcanon in a group on Facebook about the end of Sonic '06, Sonic's memory, and the flame of Solaris. I just realized it has a hole in it, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Instead of posting it directly, let me just explain it in my own words. Basically, this dude is saying that this scene (below) in '06 implies that Sonic actually remembers the adventure he had in '06. I can't say for sure what gives him this idea, but I also get the feeling it's trying to represent something. This would make sense, because why else would Sonic remember Crisis City in '06?

Hidden Content

However, here's the hole I found. Sonic didn't remember Silver in Rivals. This could either be true, or Sonic is acting like he doesn't remember because he knows Silver won't remember. But it could happen, right? Weirder things have happened in the series.

Another thing, there's no evidence (at least to my knowledge) that Sonic's memory was actually wiped.

Discuss!

I think he remembers most of '06, but not everything. Almost like it was a dream or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thing is, we really don't have enough proof to deny or prove this theory. Heck, it could be true for all we know. Really all we have is Crisis City being in Generations to work with.

Wasn't there a theory that Crisis City in Generations came from an alternate timeline?

I haven't heard anything about that. Do you have a little more detail or at least a source from where you originally read that from?

I think Crisis City and Stardust Speedway Bad Future were on white space because of the fact they were erased from the time line. 

But how would they appear if they were erased? lol

Actually, while I'm here I'm going to mention that there was this interesting headcanon I read about where someone declared that the Time Eater is actually a piece of Mephiles that escaped getting erased or something like that. They mention the similarities in appearance and abilities. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't heard anything about that. Do you have a little more detail or at least a source from where you originally read that from?

But how would they appear if they were erased? lol

Actually, while I'm here I'm going to mention that there was this interesting headcanon I read about where someone declared that the Time Eater is actually a piece of Mephiles that escaped getting erased or something like that. They mention the similarities in appearance and abilities. 

I never thought of that actually, though the Time Eater is like some mostly blob-like substance with a face as well, he lacks any kind of speech capability and is just introduced in this game as a plot device to go through the stages and have Eggman confront Sonic again with something that's not a giant robot at the end, unless he managed to subdue it at the climax of the game.

Interesting headcanon though.

• 1 month later...

Ahem, hello! It doesn't look like anyone's posted her in quite a while but I was told to move this hear so!

In short, I'm doing a personal project about Sonic 06. 

The goal of my project is to take Sonic 06, a game who's development has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, and make a comprehensive document detailing every aspect of the game from the over all development history, to certain instances in the game itself, to fan reactions and opinions about certain elements of the game (the latter will come in the form of strawpolls I set up in the future).

The plan is to post my WIP's of the project here to receive feedback from fans on factual accuracy, sentence structure, the way information is provided and just over all general ideas on how to make the project better. This being said please keep the following things in mind:

• This was written in Word then converted to Google Docs so the formatting may be messed up slightly 
  • I have sources for all the information I did not know off the top of my head, but they have not been added in yet 
  • This is a work in progress and is subject to change

Phew, that was an essay and a half! Thank you for taking the time to read this explanation!

So here's officially WIP #1 covering a brief history of Sonic and his first attempts into 3D platforming:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aja-xT7khyy3QibjoIEwuPudWuEG_BFcZUNinT04xJE/edit?usp=sharing

Again, any sort of feedback (so long as it's constructive) is greatly appreciated

Sounds neat. here I'll give you some leads.

Go here and here, SCARZ and X-CulT Forums way back when covered most if not all of the 2006 progress, compared to Retro and SSMB (ha!). you will get a very good idea of what the community reactions were like at the time.

Both are archived and dead forums but can still be logged into, so you can't make new accounts but old accounts still work. If you need an account to get past some barriers, let me know via PM I'll let you borrow mine for a bit.

Just now, goku262002 said:

Sounds neat. here I'll give you some leads.

Go here and here, SCARZ and X-CulT Forums way back when covered most if not all of the 2006 progress, compared to Retro and SSMB (ha!). you will get a very good idea of what the community reactions were like at the time.

Both are archived and dead forums but can still be logged into, so you can't make new accounts but old accounts still work. If you need an account to get past some barriers, let me know via PM I'll let you borrow mine for a bit.

Oh awesome! I didn't even know about these sites, thank you so much for the tip, very appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, jordy-pordy said:

Oh awesome! I didn't even know about these sites, thank you so much for the tip, very appreciated!

Its cool, allot of newcomers don't. its from a bygone era of Sonic Forums still useful for some things though.

Check X-CulT first, most of Scarz's archived material cuts off in 2005 ala around the SHTH and Rush 1 era.

EDIT: Also here are the X-CulT and Sonic CulT pages of 2006, useful info even if allot of it is old.

1 hour ago, jordy-pordy said:

Ahem, hello! It doesn't look like anyone's posted her in quite a while but I was told to move this hear so!

In short, I'm doing a personal project about Sonic 06. 

The goal of my project is to take Sonic 06, a game who's development has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, and make a comprehensive document detailing every aspect of the game from the over all development history, to certain instances in the game itself, to fan reactions and opinions about certain elements of the game (the latter will come in the form of strawpolls I set up in the future).

The plan is to post my WIP's of the project here to receive feedback from fans on factual accuracy, sentence structure, the way information is provided and just over all general ideas on how to make the project better. This being said please keep the following things in mind:

• This was written in Word then converted to Google Docs so the formatting may be messed up slightly 
  • I have sources for all the information I did not know off the top of my head, but they have not been added in yet 
  • This is a work in progress and is subject to change

Phew, that was an essay and a half! Thank you for taking the time to read this explanation!

So here's officially WIP #1 covering a brief history of Sonic and his first attempts into 3D platforming:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aja-xT7khyy3QibjoIEwuPudWuEG_BFcZUNinT04xJE/edit?usp=sharing

Again, any sort of feedback (so long as it's constructive) is greatly appreciated

I think someone already tried this, I think I downloaded it to my pc....it was a collection of data about BETA 06, stuff about how it was gonna have co-op mode and stuff...might not exist, could just be my imagination, cause it's been 2 years..

2 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

I think someone already tried this, I think I downloaded it to my pc....it was a collection of data about BETA 06, stuff about how it was gonna have co-op mode and stuff...might not exist, could just be my imagination, cause it's been 2 years..

oh im sure there have been others like this, but i dont plan on covering just the development/cut content of the game! im also gonna focus on general reactions to the game, how it impacted the sonic franchise (and maybe the industry if i can find any info on it) and a breakdown of the game itself to see if there are things in the game that does work, how things could have improved etc

it's a bit hard to explain but i plan on going beyond the typical "this is what happened and here's what we lost in the process"! 

4 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Sonic 06 does have a co-op mode, though I'm not surprised most people don't touch on it because frankly it's even more awful than the singleplayer game, if you could believe that.

hqdefault.jpg

That vertical splitscreen really limits your view to an absurd degree, in a game which already expects you to target offscreen enemies frequently in lieu of being able to control your camera effectively. The second level is an atrocious gauntlet that ranges from long and obnoxious to borderline unplayable and usualy ends most runs before they even really start. Most of them have really basic Babby's First Co-op puzzles that revolve around one player holding a switch down while the other does all the intresting stuff, but every character (Silver especially, if you have his ground pound) has a means of locking them permanently to the on position anyway so it completely defeats the point.

Its also not all that hard to see that it's kind of a throwaway deal they shoved in with little time, too. Because through some miracle I actually got one of my brothers to play it with me from start to finish once apon a time, and not only is there not any bosses, cutscenes or context of any kind, there isn't even any closure - the levels fucking loop back to the start once you finish. I mean holy shit, at least throw a "You're Winner!" somehere in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah no I get you, its best to look around legacy gaming sites (IGN, gamespot, Kotaku, etc.) that have been around a long time and see what their views and reactions, their forums, and such. your basically gonna have to a solid week of history diving.

Also it doesn't hurt to bug the newsies who report here and Retro, here I'll summon them and see if they can help or if they can recall anything: @Detective Hogfather @Detective Shadzter @TimmiT @GeneHF @Barry the Nomad

Ahh thank you!! I've already started doing some notetaking on the development of the game (I found a blog post that does a summary of it with links to further readings) but as soon as I'm done with a paper I have to do for school, I'm going to dive into the real meat of things.

I really do super appreciate the help! This is something I've wanted to do for a while now.