Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I really do wish that Kingdom Valley was used in Generations instead of Crisis City. Crisis City is awesome, but Kingdom Valley had a much greater aesthetic. It's such a beautiful level that it's a shame they had to waste it on such a terrible game.

Atmospherically, it reminds me of Lost World.

I really do wish that Kingdom Valley was used in Generations instead of Crisis City. Crisis City is awesome, but Kingdom Valley had a much greater aesthetic. It's such a beautiful level that it's a shame they had to waste it on such a terrible game.

Atmospherically, it reminds me of Lost World.

Both levels have excellent music tracks. Both also have some nice level design couple with some dreadful design. Kingdom Valley is certainly a pretty level.

I would favour Crisis City because when the level starts it feels more dramatic. I mean "the whole cities on fire".

Edited by NightwingFox

It's such a beautiful level that it's a shame they had to waste it on such a terrible game.

While I think Crisis City worked better for Generations because they could add all the fire related elements to homage the multiple fire levels over the years, as well as the fact it was more dramatic and more iconic to this game, Kingdom Valley really was wasted. Especially that piece of music that plays where you take control of Silver in Sonic's section. The gradual build up in that part of the track is fantastic.

Y U NO GENERATIONS DLC SONIC TEAM????

I can't seem to formulate how the would go about making a Gens-styled remix for it... All I know is Jun Senoue is not going to be contributing to it... unless there is a way for that track to be done in electric guitar style. :o

So I finally beat the game after those nightmarish Chaos Emerald levels...

This is my second favorite Sonic game and I feel so sorry for all the hate that it's received. Sure, it felt like a beta version, but what really made it so awesome is the fact that it was the last before many Sonic-only games where you could play as the other characters. And to boot, if you completed all of the town missions in any of the three main playable character's stories, you would unlock one of their two sidekicks. Get an S and play as the other one.

And one of my favorite parts of the Sonic games returned: adventure fields. Just running around and exploring is the best thing I've ever done in a Sonic game, not even kidding.

What also makes this an amazing game is the fact that it had one of the most serious stories in all of the games. It doesn't have the cheesiness that later games had. There were no cutesy or childish scenes. This was the same badass style of story that SA2 had.

However, there are SOME lackluster features in the game. It was a bit tricky to run across walls, and Sonic's mach speed stages... don't even get me started. And the Chaos Emerald levels were hard at first, but once you tackled any one of the character's stages, it was easy. But the most challenging part was being sucked in by the black holes that open everywhere around the levels. If you get sucked in, you die, even if you have rings.

And then, there's the boss fight. I only died once on it, but otherwise it was the easiest, and most epic, boss fight ever in a Sonic game. I fell for it's trolling behavior when I had to fight it's final form xD

And dat music. Don't get me started on how epic the music is. I'm listening to White Acropolis Snowy Peak while I write this post. IMO it's the best track in the entire game.

What kinda annoys me is how people fuss over Elise kissing Sonic and the whole "bestiality" issue. Seriously? It's just a friggin' game. It's not like Sonic's gonna get AIDS over something that was done to REVIVE him, not a romance.

Speaking of which, pardon me for being a Shadouge supporter, but the interaction between Shadow and Rouge was amazing and picture perfect. 'Nuff said.

I don't care if people hate it. I don't care if it's the worst mistake SEGA ever made. It was the second best Sonic game inferior only to Sonic Adventure DX.

Next stop: Sonic and the Secret Rings. Unfortunately, I won't be able to say the same about a good Sonic game, it looks pretty bad judging by gameplay footage... D:

Edited by Master Bater
  • Thumbs Up 1

And to boot, if you completed all of the town missions in any of the three main playable character's stories, you would unlock one of their two sidekicks. Get an S and play as the other one.

What? Are you kidding? I did not know about this...

What? Are you kidding? I did not know about this...

That's because it's not in the game. It's a load of shit. It was planned, but never implemented like so many other things about this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry, despite not being a fan, I'm not going to outright say you're wrong or any of that nonsense. But I do want to note a few things:

This is my second favorite Sonic game and I feel so sorry for all the hate that it's received. Sure, it felt like a beta version, but what really made it so awesome is the fact that it was the last before many Sonic-only games where you could play as the other characters. And to boot, if you completed all of the town missions in any of the three main playable character's stories, you would unlock one of their two sidekicks. Get an S and play as the other one.

I'm pretty sure that didn't actually make it into the final game.

Also, while this game did have other playable characters, because of them playing like crap, this was also the game whose fan reaction convinced SEGA to pull the Solo Sonica card. So if you want to blame any specifics for (most of) the later games' Sonic Only extravaganza, blame this game.

What also makes this an amazing game is the fact that it had one of the most serious stories in all of the games. It doesn't have the cheesiness that later games had. There were no cutesy or childish scenes. This was the same badass style of story that SA2 had.

Highly debatable. There's an equal amount of folk (myself included) who really don't like the GRRRRIIIIMDAAAARK approach used for 2006 and similar Sonic titles, and actually like the more lighthearted ones. Hell, I'm even in the rare camp that didn't even like SA2's one, for the most part.

I'm also a little annoyed by how so many people seem to insist that "dark", "serious", and so on is the only way something can be "cool" or "badass". It's why 90% of all fanfics in all media are of the GRRRRIIIIMDAAAARK variety, which irritates me I guess. I don't like being constantly depressed or angry, okay?

And then, there's the boss fight. I only died once on it, but otherwise it was the easiest, and most epic, boss fight ever in a Sonic game. I fell for it's trolling behavior when I had to fight it's final form xD

Just out of curiosity: is it "the most epic" just because it's a god and just because "all of time WILL BE DESTOOOOYED"? Because I always had a problem with those that justified the Soalris fight with that kind of talk. For me personally, it was just dodging lasers and dodging lasers and occasionally trying (and failing) to throw meteors at it. Fighting a god may sound cool, but if the execution is tish, it might as well be a Goomba.

What kinda annoys me is how people fuss over Elise kissing Sonic and the whole "bestiality" issue. Seriously? It's just a friggin' game. It's not like Sonic's gonna get AIDS over something that was done to REVIVE him, not a romance.

Not to beat a dead horse (but with Sonic 06 it's already a dead horse in everything about it anyways), but it's not so much about the potential "beastiality" in itself (after all, there's many other official and more cherished versions of humans and animals bonding in media), but rather it's that Elise is a realistic human being, leaving her (and the rest of the 2006 humans) in stark contrast to Sonic and Co. being Mickey Mouse-esque anthros. It probably wouldn't be quite as notorious if Elise was a more cartoony humanoid, like the ones in Unleashed.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 6

I agree with Dr Crusher.

Also I had an amusing glitch the other day when fighting the Egg Wyvern. When he tried to destroy the first three platforms after the first hit, he only destroyed two somehow. After the second hit, he destroyed the other one and fired two electric things at the empty spaces where the others should be rather than on the other set behind me. I guess the way the boss works is relative to the platforms, because I had to fly the thing 4 times instead of 3 into debris before Eggman said "No! The canopy!" What's weirder still is that rather than doing the next 3 hits like normal where you homing attack across while he drops more platforms, it only occurred twice to where he's on one more hit point. Regardless of how it happens, the last hit is always the same charging attack, only there were three platforms left instead of one, and he didn't aim for me at all, rather he aimed for the platform I guess you're supposed to be on. I still S ranked it with no real issue but it was weird as hell.

In short, instead of the hits being 3 flying into debris, 3 "Can you make it here?" and one last ditch attack, it was 4 flying into debris, 2 "Can you make it here?" and the last ditch attack.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I'm also a little annoyed by how so many people seem to insist that "dark", "serious", and so on is the only way something can be "cool" or "badass". It's why 90% of all fanfics in all media are of the GRRRRIIIIMDAAAARK variety, which irritates me I guess. I don't like being constantly depressed or angry, okay?

For me, it's not even that.

Honestly, anger is a rather human emotion, and I can understand the power fantasy behind being so unbelievably powerful that you can make others tremble before you and all that jazz. But really, it goes without saying that just because something is GRRRRRIIIMMMDAAAAARK doesn't mean that it's badass or cool.

Now I'm one of those who defends and likes the tone that SA2 gave us, but I'm sick of how people want to take that tone and dive off the cliff as if it'll make the series even more awesome. And what further pisses me off is how any degree of softer and lighter elements is seen as a plague that's making Sonic even more uncool. Ever since Sonic went a more lighthearted path in Colors and Generations, we've been getting people who keep saying that they suck primarily because they're not dark enough.

Really, I love intensity. I love intense happiness as much as I do intense rage (well perhaps moreso than rage, but still), I love intense action as much as I do the intrigue. And out of the many forms of storytelling I've read and watched, it goes without saying that a plot can still be as intense, badass, and cool if it were lighter and softer as much as it would darker and edgier. I want a full course meal, not just one entree to eat.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 4

Exactly.

Take the Kirby franchise for example. Yes, most of the final bosses are very creepy, and occasionally a subtle case of horror may show up (eg: the whole "Shiver Star is Earth after a blizzard apocalypse" thing), but for the most part it's just Kirby/Meta-Knight/Dedede/whoever dicking around in Dreamland. And it's awesome.

Also I had an amusing glitch the other day when fighting the Egg Wyvern. When he tried to destroy the first three platforms after the first hit, he only destroyed two somehow. After the second hit, he destroyed the other one and fired two electric things at the empty spaces where the others should be rather than on the other set behind me. I guess the way the boss works is relative to the platforms, because I had to fly the thing 4 times instead of 3 into debris before Eggman said "No! The canopy!" What's weirder still is that rather than doing the next 3 hits like normal where you homing attack across while he drops more platforms, it only occurred twice to where he's on one more hit point. Regardless of how it happens, the last hit is always the same charging attack, only there were three platforms left instead of one, and he didn't aim for me at all, rather he aimed for the platform I guess you're supposed to be on. I still S ranked it with no real issue but it was weird as hell.

In short, instead of the hits being 3 flying into debris, 3 "Can you make it here?" and one last ditch attack, it was 4 flying into debris, 2 "Can you make it here?" and the last ditch attack.

That actually happened to me as well. Only, it was the first time I fought it.

Needless to say, I was confused.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Also, while this game did have other playable characters, because of them playing like crap, this was also the game whose fan reaction convinced SEGA to pull the Solo Sonica card. So if you want to blame any specifics for (most of) the later games' Sonic Only extravaganza, blame this game.

I don't blame this game, I blame the Sonic fanbase and it's whiny attitude of literally 90% of them liking the older Sonic games over the modern ones and defining the supporting cast as "inferior and needs to be trashed". Also, for your information, Tails was playable in Sonic 4 Episode Two, as was Metal Sonic in Episode Metal.

Highly debatable. There's an equal amount of folk (myself included) who really don't like the GRRRRIIIIMDAAAARK approach used for 2006 and similar Sonic titles, and actually like the more lighthearted ones. Hell, I'm even in the rare camp that didn't even like SA2's one, for the most part.

While I agree that most of people of ANY fan-base wants a serious story-line and it is rather annoying that so many people are obsessed with hell, demons, wolves, red & black and whatever dwells in the underworld, who actually does like cutesy sunshine and puppies? Excluding My Little Pony, does anyone actually enjoy a game aimed at yougner audiences? Because while I enjoy the gameplay, I don't really enjoy cutesy storylines. They're getting old and, don't know about you, but I've outgrown them and that's where I stand.

Just out of curiosity: is it "the most epic" just because it's a god and just because "all of time WILL BE DESTOOOOYED"? Because I always had a problem with those that justified the Soalris fight with that kind of talk. For me personally, it was just dodging lasers and dodging lasers and occasionally trying (and failing) to throw meteors at it. Fighting a god may sound cool, but if the execution is tish, it might as well be a Goomba.

It was epic because of three things:

• Being a relatively easy yet challenging boss fight.
  • Being able to switch between Sonic, Shadow and Silver at any one time.
  • Not having to collect rings which is a royal pain in the ass in final bosses.

And I wouldn't really count Solaris as a god. I always thought gods were invincible, and he clearly isn't invincible if all it takes is a little bit of wind to blow out a single tiny flame.

Not to beat a dead horse (but with Sonic 06 it's already a dead horse in everything about it anyways), but it's not so much about the potential "beastiality" in itself (after all, there's many other official and more cherished versions of humans and animals bonding in media), but rather it's that Elise is a realistic human being, leaving her (and the rest of the 2006 humans) in stark contrast to Sonic and Co. being Mickey Mouse-esque anthros. It probably wouldn't be quite as notorious if Elise was a more cartoony humanoid, like the ones in Unleashed.

But it's still just a game and it's not like 9/11 happened again or something. And if you think Elise kissing Sonic is bad, how about the amount of people willing to fuck cartoon ponies aimed at 8-year-old girls? Or, to be more on-topic, how many people drool over the size of Rouge's gazongas?

Edited by Master Bater

I don't blame this game, I blame the Sonic fanbase and it's whiny attitude of literally 90% of them liking the older Sonic games over the modern ones and defining the supporting cast as "inferior and needs to be trashed". Also, for your information, Tails was playable in Sonic 4 Episode Two, as was Metal Sonic in Episode Metal.

No, no, no.

This fanbase is one of the worst, make no mistake, but do not for a second pretend that the fanbase is the one to blame in the case of the shoddy playing mechanics in Sonic 06. This was one of the times in which the complaints were fully justified, and while many may complain about the later games' Solo Sonica, there's no smoke without fire, and Sonic 06 is that fire.

And yes, I know about Episode 2. Hence why I said most of. And even then, that was very recently.

While I agree that most of people of ANY fan-base wants a serious story-line and it is rather annoying that so many people are obsessed with hell, demons, wolves, red & black and whatever dwells in the underworld, who actually does like cutesy sunshine and puppies? Excluding My Little Pony, does anyone actually enjoy a game aimed at yougner audiences? Because while I enjoy the gameplay, I don't really enjoy cutesy storylines. They're getting old and, don't know about you, but I've outgrown them and that's where I stand.

Me, for one.

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is a little shallow-minded. "Lightheartedness" does not instantly mean "Care Bears", that should go without saying. Things like Toy Story or the Mario RPGs (hell, I might even say something like MLP:FiM) are a better example of what I was meaning.

And I wouldn't really count Solaris as a god. I always thought gods were invincible, and he clearly isn't invincible if all it takes is a little bit of wind to blow out a single tiny flame.

Not collecting rings when you're Super Sonic sort of makes the fight a little ridiculous, even if it was previously done with the Final Hazard.

And while Solaris may admittedly by a strange case, going by that kind of thinking, what does that mean for the figures in various other games/movies/etc that actually are gods? Are they "not" gods too, just because they can be defeated?

But it's still just a game and it's not like 9/11 happened again or something. And if you think Elise kissing Sonic is bad, how about the amount of people willing to fuck cartoon ponies aimed at 8-year-old girls? Or, to be more on-topic, how many people drool over the size of Rouge's gazongas?

Whatever you may think of fanbases and their crazy ways, the more vocal ones are usually in the minority, and only feel like the majority because of such. The majority - with or without their kinks - are decent enough people who can have a good laugh about their ways. As such, comparing this to an actual scene in an actual game in which an actual realistic humanoid kisses (yes, to revive, but come on, the game has made it clear by now that Elise has some sort of feeling for him) an actual Felix the Cat-ish hedgehog... doesn't feel like a good comparison if I'm honest.

And like I said, it's more Elise being realistic than it is the kiss in itself. If she was more cartoony (and a better character), many fans would probably be less bitter towards it.

Look, I don't want to create yet another drawn out war about this game, I'm just trying to make it clear that while you're absolutely entitled to like this game however you please, you have to understand that there's a reason for why it gets lambasted so much.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

Plenty of people want them back, but (and rightly) not until they create a focused, coherent playstyle first that actually plays well and feels satisfying. You can't blame a minority of the fanbase for (kind of rightly) not wanting to see other characters back when they were executed so poorly here. They need to get the gameplay right, then focus on developing additional characters with they're own little tweaks and perks to said gameplay style much like Sonic 3 and Knuckles did.

You know what, I hear this excuse a lot from people that like 06. They try to deny the game's flaws by blaming something irrelevant like the fanbase or Microsoft/Sony. If Sega were really serious about this game, serious about this being the anniversary title to uplift Sonic they would've planned it much better.

I certainly do. I'll take the plot of Sonic Colours over the plot of Sonic 06 any day. Yes it's rather childish and yes some of the jokes fall flat, but the character development between Sonic and Tails was some of the best in the series in my honest opinion and the characterisation of all the characters was pretty dang good (particularly Eggman). Sonic 06's story is terrible. It's incoherent, poorly presented (for the most part), the character development is almost non existent and the way most of the characters are conveyed is abysmal. Sonic for example, served no worthwhile role as a character in this game. He might as well have been a brick with legs. He's just a pinball protagonist there to keep the plot elements rolling whilst Shadow and Silver actually do shit. There's no good justification to this mess of a story. It tries to be "darker and more serious" but ends up being completely juvenile. It's practically comparable to Twilight.

I don't see how any of these three things constitute to a boss being "epic". Like everything else in the game, it's poorly presented and poorly executed. The only redeeming factor of this boss is, of course, the fantastic music track that plays during it. Honestly, that's the only thing that even makes the boss close to memorable.

• Thumbs Up 5

I do. I still play cutesy games like the Kirby series, Yoshi's Story, etc they all have a certain charm to them. Even though those games aren't story focused but they're still enjoyable fun games on their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Me, for one.

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is a little shallow-minded. "Lightheartedness" does not instantly mean "Care Bears", that should go without saying. Things like Toy Story or the Mario RPGs (hell, I might even say something like MLP:FiM) are a better example of what I was meaning.

Oh I see. Those kind of plots are fine (and Toy Story 3 was epic) so that is a perfect improvement on a better example.

Not collecting rings when you're Super Sonic sort of makes the fight a little ridiculous, even if it was previously done with the Final Hazard.

But you gotta admit it makes the fight MUCH easier.

Whatever you may think of fanbases and their crazy ways, the more vocal ones are usually in the minority, and only feel like the majority because of such. The majority - with or without their kinks - are decent enough people who can have a good laugh about their ways. As such, comparing this to an actual scene in an actual game in which an actual realistic humanoid kisses (yes, to revive, but come on, the game has made it clear by now that Elise has some sort of feeling for him) an actual Felix the Cat-ish hedgehog... doesn't feel like a good comparison if I'm honest.

And like I said, it's more Elise being realistic than it is the kiss in itself. If she was more cartoony (and a better character), many fans would probably be less bitter towards it.

Well at least Elise erased the timeline so technically she never kissed Sonic. Also, she kissed him for no more than two seconds, PLUS it was instantly whited out once her mouth landed on his.

Look, I don't want to create yet another drawn out war about this game, I'm just trying to make it clear that while you're absolutely entitled to like this game however you please, you have to understand that there's a reason for why it gets lambasted so much.

And I understand that completely and I can perfectly see why people hate it so much. I too don't like to make drawn out wars: they have a high chance of ruining one's reputation and they're quite pointless, don't get me wrong. You too are entitled to your own opinion, and that is what everyone should understand, whatever kind of person they are.

But you gotta admit it makes the fight MUCH easier.
Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, I was always too busy complaining about how Sonic died anyway (as well as the fact that he apparently needed to die in the first place).

Why bother debating with anyone then.

Why bother posting.

Just sit around congratulating yourself on things you already believe.

• Thumbs Up 4

So I'm not really gonna bother debating with you, no offence.

To be fair, while I think Dio comes off kind of strong(if not outright dickery), he does make a few good points. I'd listen than just dismiss him.

I'd like to say this now, I really liked 06, and I don't jump on the "06 Is the worst Sonic Game ever" bandwagon just because everyone else does.

If you didn't like the game then I respect that opinion 100%, But it seems a lot of people only say they hate the game because they dont want to be pushed out of the crowd and frowned upon.

Reasons I liked Sonic 06,

The graphics in 06 took a more realistic turn than the other games.. When SEGA said it was going to be Sonic Next Gen, I get the feeling they tried to bring Sonic into a real life environment.. Before Sonic games were cartoony, I mean look at SA1 and then Compare it to 06.,

This graphical change didn't work for some people, But I have nothing but appreciation to SEGA for actually trying to bring Sonic into this more realistic world. For me it worked and it looked gorgeous.

Next up the soundtrack.. Happily we all agree on this one I think. Sonic 06 soundtrack was just as awesome as all the others smile.png

Though I will agree some of the level themes were not very memorable at all, but the instrumentation side was tip top (Y)

Personally I think His World was the best theme for Sonic yet. It gave Sonic a more serious feel and gave him more depth and emotion.. Some may disagree and think it should of been more happier like It Doesn't Matter.. It's all a matter of opinion remember smile.png

The storyline wasn't the best in the series but like the main theme I think SEGA tried making Sonic a little more serious. The best way I can describe the storyline is to think of it as a movie. It'd work really well as a movie but most fans like the simple plot of Sonic games..

For me though, I like seeing Sonic have a more serious side. Yeah he's the cool blue hedgehog who busts badniks up.. But now and again I do like to see some real emotion for Sonic.. For example I'd like to see an Amy Rose death scene and Sonic going on a rampage to kill Dr.Eggman.. I love how cool our beloved Hedgehog is but for me, Sonic putting his foot down once in a while and showing some Anger and emotion is pretty awesome in my books. They tried to do this with 06 but I feel they held back..

Next up the physics, Sonic 06 had some real problems with glitches. But the actual physics? I think they worked quite well. See in Sonic Generations (Modern Levels) the phyiscs Frustrated the hell out of me 100x more than 06 ever did. This is just my opinion remember but I felt the 3D movement in generations didn't work at all and it feels like the boost and railed sections of the levels are there to cover it up.. I'm not going to go too into it cus this is a Sonic 06 thread, But some of the platforming sections in Crisis city (Generations) and Sky sanctuary were just plain horrible and frustrating and sucked the enjoyment right out of the game for me..

Like I said at the beggining of my post, I try not to get involved in the whole "06 is the worst Sonic game ever" debate. i respect peoples opinions if they truly do not like the game and can explain there reasons, But for me I think 06 has a lot of very strong points to it.

Edited by StereoPix3l
  • Thumbs Up 1