Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

Its not supposed to look different, thats the point of this project. its to have a fully rebuilt (with a different engine) non-bugged, non-glitched, complete version of Sonic 2006 thats widely available and not stuck on dead consoles.

Looks, settings, and story isn't going to change. they are basically doing what Taxman and Stealth did.

LOOK different as in actual changes to the game. Mainly referring to the engine/core mechanics; hence why I mentioned the only thing that looks different is the homing attack and the ways the rings sparkle.

Believe it or not, I actually knew the game wasn't supposed to visually LOOK different. Since the point of the project is to make the game better gameplay wise, not to visually look different.

4 hours ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

LOOK different as in actual changes to the game. Mainly referring to the engine/core mechanics; hence why I mentioned the only thing that looks different is the homing attack and the ways the rings sparkle.

Believe it or not, I actually knew the game wasn't supposed to visually LOOK different. Since the point of the project is to make the game better gameplay wise, not to visually look different.

Ah okay then. but see the thing is with what you explained about is that you can't really tell these changes from just looks alone because visually they are going to look and be similar to the naked eye. me thinks that if you put in allot of time into the original 2006 and then tried this you'd feel the difference.

13 hours ago, JayRaR said:

Well people donated for Cemu and that emulator is coming along nicely. I haven't even given them 1 cent and I really enjoyed my time using it for free. I kind of feel you with this, but its not like the developers are asking for a price to play this demo so I'm mostly ok with this. If people want to donate for their work, its on them. Know that you and I will have the choice to play this for free.

This is a terrible comparison. Emulators are fair use, the creators of them can even sell them if they want to. For example, see Microsoft including emulated N64 ports in Rare Replay for Xbox One, or all of the emulators that are sold on Google Play. Fangames however count as copyright infringement. The copyright holders are in their right to shut down any fangames if they want to. Really they only exist because most of them are generally cool with fangames as long as the creators don't profit off of them.

22 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

This is a terrible comparison. Emulators are fair use, the creators of them can even sell them if you want to. For example, see Microsoft including emulated N64 ports in Rare Replay for Xbox One, or all of the emulators that are sold on Google Play. Fangames however count as copyright infringement. The copyright holders are in their right to shut down any fangames if they want to. Really they only exist because most of them are generally cool with fangames as long as the creators don't profit off of them.

Seeing as I don't have an Android device (and that Rare Replay had emulated N64 ports), I didn't know this. People can buy Nintendo emulators, but I'm gonna guess there are people who don't have the ROMs to play them or a ROM dumper would have to get them illegally. That's a bit shady imo, but I'm not well versed in the law so what do I know.

it seems the donation link has been removed from the video description. While I don't see a direct explanation, I assume the feedback has been seen by Gistix.

so there. problem solved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, honestly, not wow'd in the slightest with this demo. Wasn't particularly interested to begin with either way.

Yeah, honestly, not wow'd in the slightest with this demo. Wasn't particularly interested to begin with either way.

So, if anyone is interested, Steve Page of Balena Productions (along with some friends) is currently streaming Sonic 06 on YouTube for the Dreamscape Charity. From what I understand, they're going to try to beat the whole game, so please, if you have time, pop on in and show some support. I'm on mobile at the moment and can't put any links, but you can find it by searching "Balenaproductions" on YouTube.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:32 PM, goku262002 said:

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK!...1 month and 10 days later...

Gistix has made an update to his Sonic 2006 PC port with a demo of the first level:

You should probably post Bug feedback for Gistix here.

Thank you so much. So this is just a demo?

4 hours ago, GOAT said:

Thank you so much. So this is just a demo?

For now yeah, but seeing as the engine is pretty much done being ported to Unity 4 and if his team is consistent we should see a full release within the next year or so. hopefully Gistix will keep us more updated now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah okay then. but see the thing is with what you explained about is that you can't really tell these changes from just looks alone because visually they are going to look and be similar to the naked eye. me thinks that if you put in allot of time into the original 2006 and then tried this you'd feel the difference.

If you're trying to get someone interested in your project; all I'm saying is that you should be trying to wow them a little more by making more than the little differences that I pointed out. I am by no means saying that whoever is making this project didn't put a lot of work or there's no potential in it. Personally I think at great that some people are trying to make the game better for those who didn't enjoy it as was. But what I am saying is that I've played the living daylights out of '06, and I really don't see too much of a difference besides what I pointed out, at least when I watched it the first time, I don't think I should have to watch it more than once to see every difference. In the end, like I said before, it just doesn't wow me.

Hope that doesn't mean the project is stopped until a new project leader is found. wish Gistix would come by and clarify.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 6:41 PM, shadowfan94 said:

Elise was kinda hot.

...Different strokes.

If they had to do the princess thing, I really DO think 06 could have been the game to bring the Satam/Archie cast into the franchise. You would have had people heralding and cursing the game for entirely different reasons then, but at least with ol' Sally in the picture the whole "beastiality" fiasco would have never gone down.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see your point here, but in this case the whole plot, at least in sonic's story, would need to be diferent, 'cause if they did just did a character swap between Elise and Sally this would be (considering her being both, a leader and a fighter, and her slight tomboyish personality) as bad and insulting to her character as "the slap", if i'm genuinely grateful to '06 for something is that they used Elise the new character for the role and don't destroyed other character's personality, be it Sally, Blaze or Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally is not canon to the game verse. I love laughing how hard people get worked over 1 kiss. Honestly its sad. Sega should have kept her

tmp_15769-images(2)1281479375.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Its good that they are releasing an improved version of 2006. Personally I feel that it had one of the best plots and graphics in the main series, and the main reason it was not a success was the amount of glitching that occurred. If that is removed now, and the story line is not changed, then it will be a good experience for us as we can actually appreciate what the game would have been like without the technical errors, and people starting to play Sonic games will have a very good game to start playing from.

See one thing people tend to forget is that the rush job is not the sole problem that Sonic 06 became the trainwreck that is, but it's actually an EFFECT CAUSED by the terrible management, not limited to Naka's premature leave of absence that he took.

• Thumbs Up 1

People still thinking it was the lack of development time was the only problem should read this:

https://andrearitsu.com/2015/08/01/just-how-did-sonic-2006-happen/

One thing in particular that stands out to me is how Yoji Ogawa split the development team in half all for an unecessary Wii port, and later abandoned the 2006 project altogether to make Secret Rings with his half of the development team. Gotta love how much care the guy in charge of the project had for it, as in very little. And Naka cared even less, since as producer he did nothing and just let this terrible mismanagement go by.

• Thumbs Up 5

IMO, this game's PC-port, even in demo, is the best Sonic-related thing I've played yet. 

The controls were easy to learn, visually it's appealing, and the speed pace was easier to keep for me, unlike in Heroes and Generations.

I mean I liked 06 story. But do tell when any sonic game has had a good story really. They ate not written to win awards. 

22 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I mean I liked 06 story. But do tell when any sonic game has had a good story really. They ate not written to win awards. 

I thought Black Knight's story was good. Simple, but well written and with a decently executed plot twist and great ending.

The reason people criticise the story in 06 is because if you're gonna have 90 minutes worth of cutscenes in your game you should at least make them genuinely good.

Your argument is based on this assumption that just because it's Sonic we shouldn't expect the story to be good. We should always expect every major element of a game to be good. If we don't raise our standards then developers certainly won't.