Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

On 2/4/2017 at 9:52 AM, Meta77 said:

I mean I liked 06 story. But do tell when any sonic game has had a good story really. They ate not written to win awards. 

The Adventure games had pretty well narratives, S3K also told a good enough story, Sonic Riders 1&2 had stories miles better than 06, the Rush games for the most part had keen stories,  both versions of Color's story worked out nicely,  and yes,  of course there's also the storybook games,  etc. 

Without a doubt, Sonic 06 is one of the worst Sonic stories,  mainly pertaining to Sonic and Silver's campaigns,  down there with the likes of Free Riders. Two games that definitely missed the standard of storytelling even when it comes to this franchise. 

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

The Adventure games had pretty well narratives, S3K also told a good enough story, Sonic Riders 1&2 had stories miles better than 06, the Rush games for the most part had keen stories,  both versions of Color's story worked out nicely,  and yes,  of course there's also the storybook games,  etc. 

Without a doubt, Sonic 06 is one of the worst Sonic stories,  mainly pertaining to Sonic and Silver's campaigns,  down there with the likes of Free Riders. Two games that definitely missed the standard of storytelling even when it comes to this franchise. 

I still defend the 06 story. It was good. I will not say that it was not sloppy as hell. As stated silver being seen in the future and elise being confused at seeing sonic when she remember silver. Honestly had this game got the right treatment and sega not rushing to get the game out for a console launch and the Christmas kiddies it could have been one of the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I still defend the 06 story. It was good.

I'll give you the Shadow one, but nothing more. Sonic's story was a repetitive, save-the-princess-wannabe tale that didn't build the characters up well, made Sonic so OOC and even occasionally just serious to the point where Shadow the Hegdehog of all people was more upbeat than Sonic and upstaged him even in his own story, and it's only real salvaging points are the keen CGI intro and outros of his campaign. Well those, and the fact that he's one of the THREE characters widely agreed to be fun to play as in 06.

Silver's story while better, is hampered still by the inane plot, shoehorning Blaze into the role of Silver's lackey partner, gave Amy that stupid as all fudge idiot tier obsession with Sonic. I could go on and on about how the major 3/4 of 06 sucked to infinity and beyond.

Honestly had this game got the right treatment and sega not rushing to get the game out for a console launch and the Christmas kiddies it could have been one of the best.

Try finding the actual blame at the source. Let's be honest, this game's troubles REALLY got cooking when Yuji Naka and company prematurely left the project in turmoil.

Plenty of Sonic games have gotten rushed and NOT turned out disastrous like 06.

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I'll give you the Shadow one, but nothing more.

tumblr_lxto46Eh0a1ql3vm4o1_500.gif

I dunno about you, but that sounded like a challenge.

Shadow's story is where the bulk of the actual plot-important material happens, but there's still a shit ton of silly inconsistencies about it. Like, say... why does GUN set the most distant corner of Kingdom Valley as Shadow's initial extraction point when they already have agents within Soleanna itself? How does Rouge of all people need help escaping when this sort of job should be her specialty? For that matter, why does the fucking president of all people explicitly order for GUN to steal a priceless Soleanna artifact? Either that means he knew about it and decided to brief neither Shadow or Rouge that it could potentially end all of existence, or he didn't know those specific qualities in the first place, which means the president pretty much ordered an act of cross-national grand fucking larceny for the lols. That's all just the first two stages of the campaign.

The next big one after that is when Shadow deliberately seals himself in the future to chase after Mephiles. Nevermind that he never had any fucking reason to do this to start with - Rouge makes Omega wait over 200 years to come to his aid, and that alone brings a whole host of problems. We're expected to believe Omega is tamper-proof in that time, which I already have a hard time believing, but it's later revealed that Omega is the one who defeats and captures Shadow after Iblis awakens, which would mean that at some point, someone at GUN found Omega, made him do a thing even though he was completely locked down, and then later inexplicably went back to waiting for the distant future again for no defined reason? I also doubt Omega has a jug of WD40 in that kit of his, considering he goes from rusted and dusty in one scene to squeaky clean again by the time he has to help Shadow out with Mephiles.

I think what I find the most jarring about all this, though, is that Shadow is the only reason Mephiles is ever a threat. Later on in the story we learn that Mephiles is actually from the past (10 years prior to the events of the game I think? Do correct me if I'm wrong), and Shadow time travels back to that past to seal Mephiles away in the Scepter of Darkness. For starters - yes, I know what Sonic Team's reasoning for making Mephiles based off Shadow was, and I still maintain that it's fucking stupid reasoning. They could have ditched that "stealing Shadow's shadow" gimmick entirely and almost nothing would have changed, save for Silver not mistaking Shadow for him (SERIOUSLY HE'S RED, HOW THE FUCK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE PURPLE). Getting back on track, there was absolutely nothing stopping Shadow from taking the Scepter back to the present and completing his original mission - he would have prevented it from breaking in the first place, Mephiles would have stayed contained, and the only remaining threat would have been Eggman.

But he leaves it with Elise because "he knows what happens to it in the future"? Fuck off. He had the perfect opportunity to change that future for the better, and inexplicably decided not to. Mephiles's plan doesn't ultimately succeed because it's a good plan, it succeeds because all of the good guys are fucking dumb, and out of all of the stupid mistakes I could possibly recall this is probably the penultimate act of stupidity that allows the story to happen the way it does at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

I always figured Shadow leaving the scepter was basically the whole "you can't change the past" thing, but it's still a bad idea to not try and preventing Mephiles's release - even if he eventually fails.

Who deleted my table flip

But after thinking you say silver could not tell red from purple. I mean it's believable.  your talking about a series where Amy confuses shadow. SHADOW for sonic

Personally, while the story may not have been my cup of tea, I would guess no one hired a competent proofreader to help Shiro Maekawa's script and that may have been why there were  so many plot holes unexplained. 

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Still the game had some of the best music and cgi to date

That's cute.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im at work so can't link a video. But unleashed was good in a if I were to make a Pixar type movie good. 06 was good in a holy crap if this some next gen final Fantasy

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Who deleted my table flip

But after thinking you say silver could not tell red from purple. I mean it's believable.  your talking about a series where Amy confuses shadow. SHADOW for sonic

For the record, I'd just like to say I still thought this gimmick was pretty fucking stupid even when SA2 did it. Even if you make the argument that Amy is completely colourblind (and I don't believe any of the games have actually hinted at it any other way), all three of the main hedgies are pretty blatantly distinct from one another.

500px-SNG_All.jpg

06 took the gimmick to even more illogical extremes, and ran it right into the ground in the process. It's not just Amy and Silver that can't tell any of the hedgehogs apart, even the majority of the NPCs are in on it too. SA2 often gets a free pass because it can be passed off as a quick, cheap gag, but they milked the hell out of it in 06 even though it wasn't funny the first time, and in most cases (aformentioned Mephiles/Shadow example) they don't even play it for laughs anyway.

4 hours ago, Soni said:

That's cute.

Eh, apples and oranges. Say what you will about the plot itself, but the FMVs are still bloody beautiful in their own way - and despite the preceding events, the ending cutscene was actually a pretty good note to end on. At worst, they're only tonally different.

It helps that Marza did the CGI for both games, too. ST may not always be on their A game, but I've yet to see Marza do wrong with what they're given.

• Thumbs Up 1

The CG scenes in 06 do look really good, not gonna be all "hurrdurr everything 06 is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" but Unleashed is just better in every aspect. Maybe it helps that Unleashed's opening was very action-packed while most of 06's CG scenes are not so while they do look nice, nothing really interesting happens in them IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still the game had some of the best music and cgi to date

Every defense of Sonic 06 ends up whittling down to this.

Say what you want about Sonic 06, at least it actually had rings in it!

• Thumbs Up 6

Not only that,  but Sonic 06's cgi cutscenes weren't even consistently good. Compare ones like Sonics intro to the Silver/Shadow in the past ones which can get a bit ugly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you sure were watching the same intro?? Noting happens? Eggmans attack was sweet and sonic appearing was just pure blitz

I'm pretty sure I used a MOST in that sentence, not all. Sonic's intro and in a smaller extent, Shadow's intro were pretty action-packed. Everything else, nothing happens but it looks nice.

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Are you sure were watching the same intro?? Noting happens? Eggmans attack was sweet and sonic appearing was just pure blitz

Ummm, you do realize that that's one of the cgi cutscenes I was actually complimenting, right?Sprite: PW Facepalm by blasteg

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Ummm, you do realize that that's one of the cgi cutscenes I was actually complimenting, right?Sprite: PW Facepalm by blasteg

My reply was in regards to soni lol

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

My reply was in regards to soni lol

Quoting and mentioning are your friends, m'boy.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

How about this one? :

Because of the rushed development, they weren't able to finish the CG cutscenes so they used the ingame models. The characters stick out like a sore thumb in the CG environments.

Unleashed's CG was consistent.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, pppp said:

How about this one? :

Because of the rushed development, they weren't able to finish the CG cutscenes so they used the ingame models. The characters stick out like a sore thumb in the CG environments.

Unleashed's CG was consistent.

But as stated unleashed was not in dev hell with the team split, rushed, or heads leaving the company/project

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

But as stated unleashed was in dev hell with the team split, rushed, or heads leaving the company/project

That's... not correct

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

That's... not correct

I meant not not not!!!! Haha sorry, when your overwatching that happens.

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

But as stated unleashed was in dev hell with the team split, rushed, or heads leaving the company/project

You sure you don't have "Unleashed" mixed with Sonic 006 there?

Sonic 06 could have the best CGI and music, and it still wouldn't make the game any less shit. It's a game, and if the gameplay is utterly flawed and bugged, then it's not a good game. That applies to most games, especcially Sonic 06. 

CGI is hardly a redeeming factor when the story is so awful that it puts the decent CGI to waste. And you can just listen to the music elsewhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1