Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

38 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

And you can just listen to the music elsewhere. 

iTunes and Amazon being the best sites, for some countires. :P

5 hours ago, Lucid Dream said:

Sonic 06 could have the best CGI and music, and it still wouldn't make the game any less shit. It's a game, and if the gameplay is utterly flawed and bugged, then it's not a good game. That applies to most games, especcially Sonic 06. 

CGI is hardly a redeeming factor when the story is so awful that it puts the decent CGI to waste. And you can just listen to the music elsewhere. 

No they are redeeming. You can look on it and apply it to future games. Yes the game play may have been flawed but id love to see the good fmv style in a future game. Not the in game model ones the style used in the openings

On 2/7/2017 at 7:28 AM, Lucid Dream said:

Sonic 06 could have the best CGI and music, and it still wouldn't make the game any less shit. It's a game, and if the gameplay is utterly flawed and bugged, then it's not a good game. That applies to most games, especcially Sonic 06. 

CGI is hardly a redeeming factor when the story is so awful that it puts the decent CGI to waste. And you can just listen to the music elsewhere. 

Add on to that, the fact that 1/3  of those CGI cutscenes weren't easy on the eyes either. 

Personally, I'm not gonna give the game passes because of what it COULD have been. What we got was a mess development hell or not, and if we're allowed to shit on games like Sonic Boom and Duke Nukem for being shit despite its development hell, I think it's hypocritical to excuse 06. And to me, visuals and music don't redeem a bug ridden, inconsistent, horribly programmed mess. I simply can't consider this game average, let alone good.

• Thumbs Up 2

...Anyone else think 06 should have been the game to introduce the Satam/Archie cast instead as a bunch of anthro's living in a whole other land/kingdom completely separate from where the majority of the franchise takes place?

That way they could have said "Yep, this is it. here's where they all are in the game canon. Sonic is paying a visit, he'll be somewhere else in the next game and this cast wont be there, but we might come back to this land/kingdom someday!"

...Plus, you know, the whole Elise thing averted by using Sally or something? Much to the chagrin of many folks, but hey, least beastiality wouldn't be the hot topic of the game for 10+ years.

I still don't find the game that bad. I can play it and beat it. Is it going. No. But I now consider it average. But back in 2007 I loved it from a all these deaths are my/games fault

Also having grown up through 90s tv show you kiss was noting in my book. People just flipped cause they didn't like Elise. I love it

Eh I still think 06 certainly had potential. Team Dark are used well and they face a legitimately good villain with a great opening and ending. Silver is an interesting character with decent development 

As for using the Satam/Archie cast? While I'm all for them in the games (especially with the new designs) I think 06 would get cluttered. Honestly the overall plot needs reworking. For example, I'd replace Elise with Blaze (Princess linked to fire) and remove the romance plot. Just had Blaze be a more prominent character. Obviously then you'd have to work around her and Silver's relationship but then that could make for a more universal story with a mutual friend between Sonic and Silver.

Honestly wouldn't mind if later games had Team Dark doing their own thing like the Chaotix in Sonic Heroes. Their chemistry is probably the best of the teams and how they're portrayed in the comics is fantastic. I don't think SEGA should be scared to try the story focus again especially since they've nailed Sonic's gameplay with Unleashed and Generations. 

(Also the music is fantastic)

We'l see how the Sonic 06 remastered is taken. Personally I think that although people have a variety of opinions on what exactly is wrong with 06, the main problem was the bad gameplay. Since 06 remastered is rectifying that, we can see how good the game is without that obstacle. 

While the gameplay was one of the main issues in 06, I don't feel like Sonic 06 'Remastered' is really going to fix it a lot. There's really not a lot to fix unless you want to completely change things around.

To me, it's the story and the way the game progresses that puts me off. Visiting Wave Ocean twice in Sonic's Story for no reason  (first time was basically for nothing) doesn't sit right with me.

And if the PC demo is anything clear to me, I'm just plainly not interested. There's not enough change in it to get me hooked.

Just now, Meta77 said:

Wasn't the first time to try and catch Eggman

Yeah, that's what I was saying. 'Trying', but failing because Tails tells you how Elise was moved to another location 'lets head back to the city'. So, basically it was for nothing. (Quick fact, the location the cutscene takes place in is at the beginning of Wave Ocean after doing the loops.)

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I studied up on that first chapter pretty closely for a separate project I'll probably not finish now, and the whole thing is kinda silly and reeks of padding that doesn't really gel with any of the characters or the circumstances. Nevermind that Eggman only escaped in the first place because Sonic inexplicably decided not to do anything about it until the day after the Sun Festival - you've got stuff like sealing off huge parts of the town while they're repairing (which would actually make sense if anything was visibly damaged in the first place), wasting freeroaming time and a separate cutscene for meeting Tails (why were they even separate in the first place?), and - this is the real cherry on top - literally jumping through hoops in order to progress towards something that actually resembles a game. That's a special kind of genre blindness that you simply can't make up on purpose.

And that whole bit about having to turn back at the end of Wave Ocean? It's like... if only Tails had some kind of flying machine. That he built for the specific purpose of chasing other flying things. Specifically, Eggman's flying fortresses.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Sure, far be it from me to suggest that the very first stage should be a Tornado schmup, but it's pretty clear they had to ignore the events of a lot of other games for '06's narrative to work, and frankly that's pretty fucking distasteful when they're already stealing and reusing various setpieces from them with almost no variance. There was no way this narrative was ever going to be not a confused clusterfuck.

• Thumbs Up 4

The thing with 06 compared to SA1 is that in SA1 for the most part characters only visited stages that made sense within their stories. Sonic visits all of them but Hot Shelter, but besides that everyone else visits like half of the stages. In 06, every main character visits every stage (with the exception of Shadow for Tropical Jungle, Silver for Wave Ocean, and Sonic for End of the World), which means half of the stages are just padding. The fact that every stage is visited in each story means the actual plot suffers from poor pacing problems. Both Sonic AND Tails have pointless Wave Ocean stages ultimately, but how about Sonic and Silver's Kingdom Valley, where they fail to reach Eggman anyway and just do the time warp they could have done in the first place? Or Silver's abysmal Dusty Desert and ball puzzle being all for "oh we didn't find Sonic, let's go back to town"?

• Thumbs Up 2

So yeah, on a less serious note, I'd like to draw attention to something in the Iblis Phase 3 Boss fight that I found immensely amusing:

At the point linked, Iblis ends up doing his fire disk attack, but if you look at his fingers, it looks like he's doing a handseal from Naruto for some reason XD! Seriously, why does he do THAT particular movement?

On 18/02/2017 at 11:51 PM, SenEDtor Missile said:

So yeah, on a less serious note, I'd like to draw attention to something in the Iblis Phase 3 Boss fight that I found immensely amusing:

At the point linked, Iblis ends up doing his fire disk attack, but if you look at his fingers, it looks like he's doing a handseal from Naruto for some reason XD! Seriously, why does he do THAT particular movement?

Any reason why he shouldn't do 'that particular movement'?

The developers could have chosen from a significant number of possibilities, just because they chose that one doesn't mean that its necessarily bad in any way. The similarity to ' a handseal from Naruto' was a pure coincidence.

25 minutes ago, Sonic+Shadow+Silver=OP said:

Any reason why he shouldn't do 'that particular movement'?

The developers could have chosen from a significant number of possibilities, just because they chose that one doesn't mean that its necessarily bad in any way. The similarity to ' a handseal from Naruto' was a pure coincidence.

I didn't say he shouldn't, just that it was funny that they chose that particular movement.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

You know what's starting to annoy me? The way how '06 loading screen meme is showed in on the every single piece the "official" content it becomes irritating. Yes, it's good that you guys can laugh at "your" mistakes, but enough is enough, and by enough I should probably mean more like too much. It just isn't funny when it's jumping on my face in every single turn I take. Webber could take it down a notch as far as I'm concerned, it's so old of a joke already.

And this post was made possible by that this week's Sonic Official interview which had this meme on it's end for a change... hahhah.

• Thumbs Up 1

The #SonicOnlyChallenge" involves completing a boss or level as Sonic only when the option to switch between other characters is available. This can be done across different games and requires a fair amount of skill, luck, and patience.  

Today, Sonic goes up against the Super Dimensional Being: Solaris, all by himself. This can only be done in phase 2 of the final boss because Super Shadow and Super Silver are designed to break his armor in the first phase and Super Sonic can't do damage to him until the armor is broken.

I made sure to fast forward the boring parts when switching to Silver and Shadow. The trick is to switch to them for as long as possible so that Sonic can recharge his rings.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 03/23/2017 at 10:35 AM, BlueSky said:

You know what's starting to annoy me? The way how '06 loading screen meme is showed in on the every single piece the "official" content it becomes irritating. Yes, it's good that you guys can laugh at "your" mistakes, but enough is enough, and by enough I should probably mean more like too much. It just isn't funny when it's jumping on my face in every single turn I take. Webber could take it down a notch as far as I'm concerned, it's so old of a joke already.

And this post was made possible by that this week's Sonic Official interview which had this meme on it's end for a change... hahhah.

It's because it was one of the main complaints when honestly plenty of games have long loading screens

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

It's because it was one of the main complaints when honestly plenty of games have long loading screens

Clement put it best(Just click play it should bring you there):

You'll be hard pressed to find a game with worst flow.

Sonic 06 still was not as bad as some made it out.. bad yes but not that bad hell duke nukem forever now that's bad

Well, I recall Super Smash Bros. Brawl and (especially) for 3DS being both very massive to run for my poor consoles. I don't have many 3DS games that ask me to "wait" a bit before I can move around in the home menu after it supposedly closed the game... And it's pretty heavy with its loadings sometimes.

Look, I don't mind loading screens, I've played OPUC 1,2 SP1 and SP2 and they made me wait, sometimes around few minutes (I know, that isn't as long as '06). Some freaking Windows systems take more than 10 minutes to open. Even half an hour. I can get people don't like waiting but still, every SINGLE time they need to make that "joke", just... aaargh... I don't appreciate the "jokes" anymore.

Because that stuff don't appeal to me!

You said it right, out-of-context-ripped-off Dead or Alive quote.

... "What I Want" if anybody wondered...

They play the franchise down in my eyes by taking it too far, those official guys, I suppose it's pretty much Webber but I'm not sure, so, well... Like I could do anything about it, though.

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The length of them is pretty bad, but that's not even the main problem - it's the sheer, baffling frequency at which they show up. And I mean baffling in the purest sense imaginable, because they have a tendency to keep showing up in places where they have absolutely no right to. Consider first that almost every level is divided into segments, and there's a lengthy loading time between each of them. A level like Sonic's Crisis City has no less than four of them. There was no reason for them to do this, considering the engine is quite clearly capable of loading an entire level without loading times with no visible trouble (both variations of Dusty Desert, for example), and especially when Sonic is a series that champions speed and flow above all else. People would absolutely lose their shit if Jungle Joyride made them wait for a loading screen every 1:30 that passes.

The bigger elephant in the room, though, is that 06 insists on re-initializing the entire game world for the most trivial of reasons. Beat a boss and need to show a quick cutscene of them falling over in the same area? Loading screen! Ingame cutscene needs to play in the same area you're already loaded in? Loading screen! Need to play a side mission that plays out in the same area you're already loaded in? Loading screen! Need to display a single line of dialogue confirming the goal of that side mission? Loading screen! Need to display a single line of dialogue confirming you've won that side mission? Loading screen! Lost? Also a loading screen! Need to spawn in a bunch of goddamn boxes for a puzzle mission because you couldn't be bothering a simple dialogue tree? Still a loading screen. For boxes. Literally the simplest polygon you can render.

If a game needs to load a lot and for a long time because there's an unprecedent amount of shit to build each time, I can begrudingly put up with it. If a game needs to load a lot because the programmers are complete and utter hacks who can't create even the slimplest variety of loading gates, I am indignantly going to call them out on their shit, and I doubt I'm alone in that respect.

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Sonic 06 still was not as bad as some made it out.. bad yes but not that bad hell duke nukem forever now that's bad

For that matter, this practice of pointing to other things and saying "well other things are bad too guys!!!" can frankly fuck right off. It doesn't soften the blow quite like you think it does - if anything it comes off as dire because you're trying to project this game's flaws onto others to save it some face.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

The length of them is pretty bad, but that's not even the main problem - it's the sheer, baffling frequency at which they show up. And I mean baffling in the purest sense imaginable, because they have a tendency to keep showing up in places where they have absolutely no right to. Consider first that almost every level is divided into segments, and there's a lengthy loading time between each of them. A level like Sonic's Crisis City has no less than four of them. There was no reason for them to do this, considering the engine is quite clearly capable of loading an entire level without loading times with no visible trouble (both variations of Dusty Desert, for example), and especially when Sonic is a series that champions speed and flow above all else. People would absolutely lose their shit if Jungle Joyride made them wait for a loading screen every 1:30 that passes.

The bigger elephant in the room, though, is that 06 insists on re-initializing the entire game world for the most trivial of reasons. Beat a boss and need to show a quick cutscene of them falling over in the same area? Loading screen! Ingame cutscene needs to play in the same area you're already loaded in? Loading screen! Need to play a side mission that plays out in the same area you're already loaded in? Loading screen! Need to display a single line of dialogue confirming the goal of that side mission? Loading screen! Need to display a single line of dialogue confirming you've won that side mission? Loading screen! Lost? Also a loading screen! Need to spawn in a bunch of goddamn boxes for a puzzle mission because you couldn't be bothering a simple dialogue tree? Still a loading screen. For boxes. Literally the simplest polygon you can render.

If a game needs to load a lot and for a long time because there's an unprecedent amount of shit to build each time, I can begrudingly put up with it. If a game needs to load a lot because the programmers are complete and utter hacks who can't create even the slimplest variety of loading gates, I am indignantly going to call them out on their shit, and I doubt I'm alone in that respect.

For that matter, this practice of pointing to other things and saying "well other things are bad too guys!!!" can frankly fuck right off. It doesn't soften the blow quite like you think it does - if anything it comes off as dire because you're trying to project this game's flaws onto others to save it some face.

No it's to say die edge hard fans act as if sonof 06 is the worst thing since backed onions. But it simply isn't pointing out a worse thing is to in the fact itself show there are worse things out there and the meme 06 destroyed the fan base is beating a dead horse with a metal bar

Just now, Meta77 said:

No it's to say die edge hard fans act as if sonof 06 is the worst thing since backed onions. But it simply isn't pointing out a worse thing is to in the fact itself show there are worse things out there and the meme 06 destroyed the fan base is beating a dead horse with a metal bar

Okay, serious question here: do you believe people would still be beating that horse if people stopped sticking up for it? Because even if you argue that it isn't the worst game in the franchise (frankly if there is a worse Sonic game, they're probably too obscure to care about), it's still a godawful monstrosity either way, and the only lesson to be learnt from it is a practical demonstration of how not to make a Sonic game.