Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

It's a common opinion that Big is just a "Why?" as to how they thought this character would add to the series in any practical way. Sure, he's got his fans and is a meme like another purple character, but even to his fans, I feel like there's not a valid justification for the character. He exists, he had really flawed gameplay in his first appearance, and he's mainly Team Rose's delegate "Strong guy" whenever Sonic Team can't invent a way for another character to replace him. And it's already bad enough that he's got this air of idiocy to go along with an infamous archetype, but I suppose I do see merit in the aloof and care-free attitude he can bring to the table, so he's at least got that going on.

I'd be happy to hear more reasons for why his fans appreciate him, though, so that I can get some much needed insight.

14 hours ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

It's a common opinion that Big is just a "Why?" as to how they thought this character would add to the series in any practical way. Sure, he's got his fans and is a meme like another purple character, but even to his fans, I feel like there's not a valid justification for the character. He exists, he had really flawed gameplay in his first appearance, and he's mainly Team Rose's delegate "Strong guy" whenever Sonic Team can't invent a way for another character to replace him. And it's already bad enough that he's got this air of idiocy to go along with an infamous archetype, but I suppose I do see merit in the aloof and care-free attitude he can bring to the table, so he's at least got that going on.

I'd be happy to hear more reasons for why his fans appreciate him, though, so that I can get some much needed insight.

His aloof personality and carefreeness is his big selling point, and it's why the character existed. In the age of big (heh) and dramatic Sonic stories, an everyman with a simple goal was a relief. Lazy days just appeal to people in the same way the terminator plots appeal to people.

But man, his gameplay in adventure.

I liked him in adventure in spite of the gameplay, and when he plays like every other character like in Heroes, Chronicles, or the spinoffs, there's not much to hate.

I feel Big is a character you like in spite of the gameplay, unlike most characters who you like because of the gameplay.

On February 25, 2019 at 5:36 AM, Foxthefox1000 said:

Speaking slowly does not make a character an idiot. Keep in mind, Big fixed and piloted the Tornado to escape the Eggcarrier after the supposedly genious fox boy crash landed it because he forgot to add landing gears to the craft.

If you want true idiocy embodied, look no further than Silver in 06 taking advice from Satan himself without any second thoughts... or Knuckles abandoning his job (again) because Eggman, they guy that tricked him and tried to steal his waifu in the past asked him to deliver a letter for him.

As for reasons to like Big, there's his design, which is pretty unique in a cast where almost everyone seems to be built with the same mold (or is a hedgehog). He's just a simpleton who enjoys life without any care nor worries, a gentle giant who will stop at nothing to rescue his best pal Froggy and who won't stand for his friends being bullied by anyone. Personally, I find more charm in Big than in other characters that were deliberately designed to be cool/edgy, with super powers, complex backstories or who hail from some unreachable place... you know, the kind of stuff that strayed from the more simple days of the classic era, which Big in a way reminds me of. Then there's his theme song "Lazy Days" which is just upbeat and fun to listen, or the fond memories and satisfaction of making people ragequit by winning as Big in S&SASR so many years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Not fixed, just piloted.

8 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Knuckles abandoning his job (again) because...

His wording tells that he was just there, not there because of Eggman.

18 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

If you want true idiocy embodied, look no further than Silver in 06 taking advice from Satan himself without any second thoughts...

To be fair, he was desperate for a way to get rid of Iblis. If I was in a situation like that, I'd probably make a deal with the devil too.

• 1 month later...

Wait so I'm seriously confused here. is this the same project that's been going on for years now? is this a new one? I'm really lost.

It's been said a million times but man, '06 really did break things, huh.

Like I don't mean to be down on these people for doing what they want to do, there's obviously a lot of effort and passion involved and it's their choice as to where to direct it. But the game's like an old wound that the fanbase just can't stop picking at. There's other bad Sonic games out there but you don't see people trying to remake ShtH or RoL or Forces, or even one of the more salvageable games.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Apparently the more broken something is, the more people want to fix it...

Well yes makes sense, personally I am all for a good remake of 06 finishing the job Sega should have done

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It's been said a million times but man, '06 really did break things, huh.

Like I don't mean to be down on these people for doing what they want to do, there's obviously a lot of effort and passion involved and it's their choice as to where to direct it. But the game's like an old wound that the fanbase just can't stop picking at. There's other bad Sonic games out there but you don't see people trying to remake ShtH or RoL or Forces, or even one of the more salvageable games.

Not just the fans. SEGA and Sonic Team can't let it go either, to the point where the direction of the games is still being affected by what it wrought. 

Not including spin-offs like Rise of Lyric and TSR, I'm pretty sure it was the last mainstream 3D Sonic game where we could play as Tails. It's been so long since then. How sad. 

Although, it's not like counting Rise of Lyric would make things any better.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well yes makes sense, personally I am all for a good remake of 06 finishing the job Sega should have done

Should have?

A bad job is a bad job, mang.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Should have?

A bad job is a bad job, mang.

Well considering all the development issues Sonic 06 faced in its development period its no wonder why it turned out the way it did.

Sega should have never released the game in that state, they were such in a rush to meet the 15th anniversary they screwed up badly.

And look fixing the gameplay alone wont fix the game overall, it still has a crap story line.

However if you can at least make it playable then thats something Sega clearly could not do.

Sure its still going to take an act of God to fully fix Sonic 06 but I can stall appreciate the efforts that people are making to at the very least make the game something worth playing

P-06 is kinda 13 years too late lol.

Even though it's not what I want from the series, had this been the game that was released back then things would probably be much better as a whole for the series, because this one game has left a really bad mark on the series' reputation

Doesn't fix the fact that the models are really iffy looking and the game's plot is really dumb. But what can you do, lol.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Apparently the more broken something is, the more people want to fix it...

This implies that anyone has ever been trying to.

Bar a few very small exceptions, every 06 fan project to memory has insisted on emulating it verbatim, including many baffling oversights, flaws and design decisions that never served any purpose but to drag the game down as a whole. And to a point I understand why they'd not bother, say, updating or remaking the level design so it's not so mediocre and overwhelmingly flat, it's baffling to intentionally leave in so many flaws that could be fixed with relative ease, like the original game's handling of momentum, or combat essentially boiling down to pressing A on one enemy over and over until it dies, or not giving Tails those stupid fucking ring bombs again. And it really bothers me that a labour of love can be this misguided when all is said and done because it's pretty plain to see that they can do a lot better than this.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

P-06 is kinda 13 years too late lol.

Even though it's not what I want from the series, had this been the game that was released back then things would probably be much better as a whole for the series, because this one game has left a really bad mark on the series' reputation

Doesn't fix the fact that the models are really iffy looking and the game's plot is really dumb. But what can you do, lol.

Well yes as far as this game is concerned the fan remake is a band aid on A broken leg....

But even that is acceptable for 06.

Still better than sega sticking post it notes on it

13 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

This implies that anyone has ever been trying to.

Bar a few very small exceptions, every 06 fan project to memory has insisted on emulating it verbatim, including many baffling oversights, flaws and design decisions that never served any purpose but to drag the game down as a whole. And to a point I understand why they'd not bother, say, updating or remaking the level design so it's not so mediocre and overwhelmingly flat, it's baffling to intentionally leave in so many flaws that could be fixed with relative ease, like the original game's handling of momentum, or combat essentially boiling down to pressing A on one enemy over and over until it dies, or not giving Tails those stupid fucking ring bombs again. And it really bothers me that a labour of love can be this misguided when all is said and done because it's pretty plain to see that they can do a lot better than this.

Isn't that because they were just trying to get the game to PC before doing anything else?

Like, in any video covering previous Nex Gen projects I've seen, getting the game on PC was a pretty common thing quoted from descriptions or whatever.

I guess then it would be easier for other people to make mods on the game instead of just doing things from the ground up like this new project.

I'll be honest, I don't really follow this stuff specifically, so not entirely sure.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Isn't that because they were just trying to get the game to PC before doing anything else?

Ok but

why though

Why do we need a PC version of '06? Why, what's more, do we need a knowingly bad version of '06 on PC? Not making huge changes is one thing but there is so much to be fixed and so many bad ideas, why spend all this time and energy replicating them?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok but

why though

So it'd be easier for other people to mod the game, again.

In general.

Though maybe the interest has worn off.

If I might offer a strange take, I think there's a potential benefit in porting Sonic 06 as accurately as possible in the form of a playable example, if not for the sake of preservation. There's no chance that Sega is going to re-release this game, and while I think the game is hot garbage, I'm hard pressed to argue against making the game more accessible and potentially preserved for the foreseeable future for anyone who would ever want to give it a spin, or who might want a playable example as a guideline of what not to do when designing a game.

While it's true that longplays and video archives of the game exists, it's not quite the same as playing it, and a fan recreation may fall under different legal territory that isn't quite as sketchy as emulating the game, which is sure to provide it's own barriers for entry. 

Basically, I'm for preservation of the gaming industry for research purposes, both good and bad. And if these guys are crazy enough to do it, then godspeed. I personally won't play it, but I'm sure many others who have been dying to find out for themselves if it's trash or not will appreciate the opportunity.

Well in any case i did play P-06 and got to say.... not bad.

It still suffers from bugs but nothing game breaking, considering this is a fan project using unity it doesnt do half bad.

Mind you its still not the best thing ever but certainly better than the original mess that was Sonic 06

5 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

If I might offer a strange take, I think there's a potential benefit in porting Sonic 06 as accurately as possible in the form of a playable example, if not for the sake of preservation. There's no chance that Sega is going to re-release this game, and while I think the game is hot garbage, I'm hard pressed to argue against making the game more accessible and potentially preserved for the foreseeable future for anyone who would ever want to give it a spin, or who might want a playable example as a guideline of what not to do when designing a game.

While it's true that longplays and video archives of the game exists, it's not quite the same as playing it, and a fan recreation may fall under different legal territory that isn't quite as sketchy as emulating the game, which is sure to provide it's own barriers for entry. 

Basically, I'm for preservation of the gaming industry for research purposes, both good and bad. And if these guys are crazy enough to do it, then godspeed. I personally won't play it, but I'm sure many others who have been dying to find out for themselves if it's trash or not will appreciate the opportunity.

Preservation for the sake of having an interesting historical case study is something I'm definitely in support of. I don't think 06 is technically going anywhere though. Maybe one day copies of it might run out but at the moment, that shit is still sitting on the racks at Gamestop so no one should be too worried about it.

Rise of Lyric would be one that I think would be A-Okay to just let fade away though. As bad as that game is, it's badness is something comprehensible. I can look at that game and see why certain decisions were made, recognize why they were made in bad faith, and leave it at that. To this day there are things about 06 that still baffle the hell out of me though.

06 belongs in a museum.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

My PC cannot handle this unlike the other 06 fanmake. Always slows down when the level starts

6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Preservation for the sake of having an interesting historical case study is something I'm definitely in support of. I don't think 06 is technically going anywhere though. Maybe one day copies of it might run out but at the moment, that shit is still sitting on the racks at Gamestop so no one should be too worried about it.

Rise of Lyric would be one that I think would be A-Okay to just let fade away though. As bad as that game is, it's badness is something comprehensible. I can look at that game and see why certain decisions were made, recognize why they were made in bad faith, and leave it at that. To this day there are things about 06 that still baffle the hell out of me though.

06 belongs in a museum.

I'd rather people just forgot about Next Gen. Then maybe we wouldn't have countless articles bringing it up like it's still relevant.

12 hours ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

My PC cannot handle this unlike the other 06 fanmake. Always slows down when the level starts

Hrm, specs?

Just curious