Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Oh, how I love this conversation topic so! Thankfully this community seems alot less....barbaric than a certain forum.....

Anyways, I've played 06 at a friends house and it was okay. I don't own the game. The glitches were everywhere though and it was a crappy expierience at times, others it was meh. So, I haven't had the full expierience, but from what I had, I think it's underrated....But not a great game.

I didn't hate it, but I'll say the majority of the game's content is dismal.

What I WILL say though is that I still play through Sonic's stages on trial mode fairly often. It sort of plays like a very awkward Sonic Adventure, but with longer levels. Once you get over the awkwardness and learn how to compensate, the level design is pretty enjoyable with some solid platforming fun to be had.

Shadow I found a slower, watered down version of Sonic with boring vehicles (hell, I'd have rather they brought back the guns from ShTH than those). Silver was okay but ruined by stupid shit like the billiard ball puzzle in Dusty Desert. I've always used the crate glitch on that, never had the patience to beat it legit at all.

The bosses were also far too long, but no, the Sonic stages, yeah I like them quite a bit and play them semi-often.

Oh and soundtrack obviously. Didn't mind the story either. Nothing against any of it, even the kiss scene. They could have done a lot better with Elise, but I liked her as a character. Only the actual plotholes bother me.

Edited by JezMM

Sonic 06? I was frustrated with it and gave up trying to defeat Silver.

...I think the music is terribly overrated as well.

Sonic 06? Oh boy... no, clearly no... one of the worst Sonic games ever created.

The loading times, the story, the controls, the camera, the glitches, the awful awful Sonic/Shadow/Silver/Every god damn caracther speed, the stages design... I completed the game but i couldn't like it no matter what, its really bad. Also didnt do any mini game besise the one you have to find a dog, and thank god i didn't, they are all horrible, plus the loading times: "You are right!" *30 sec loading time* "Ready for the next one?" *more 30 sec...*

The music is the only good thing about Sonic 06. Flame Core was a fantastic track, i loved the guitar, but the level... oh boy

Edited by 100Modem
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had some fun moments with it. I liked the music, most of the aesthetics of the levels some original ideas there, I REALLY like sonic's shoes they a have a cool look, I like mephiles laugh and is creepy walking(too bad he had to be a shadow re skin),i liked playing with knuckles(too bad it had some problems), and finally I liked the adventure fields(too bad you normally were too slow to walk around them and it didn't had free mode).

th_1272445954095.gif

Anyway, I have a confusing stance about Sonic 06 that's hard to describe. The technical quality of the game and the story is primarily pants, and so are many of the aesthetic decisions. Many gameplay elements were frustrating to deal with. But I don't hate it or even really dislike it. There's other Sonic games I outright hate with far less problems. I have a general apathy for 06 lined with a small appreciation of its themes and intended scale, both of which are probably the result of being repelled by the more exaggerated hate it's received, (the downloadable demo is not better than the final game; stop saying that, you gits). It was a really big game, large in size, scope, and the risks it took, and neither was it bereft of moments of sentimentality. Really, all of the FMV scenes with Sonic and Elise are adorable to me. Fuck you; they are.

Regardless, it's all weird. I appreciate the general ideals and some moments, I like the music of course, and there's perhaps other things I don't mind like Sonic's lankiness or something, but I can't say I outright love the game because it's just so damn terrible. Maybe it's a tragedy thing? I don't know. All I do know is that I always find it difficult to join in the feeding frenzies whenever the game is mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Me. One of the greatest Sonic games of all times.

No joking either.

Uh....

You gettin' jumped by some fanboys too.

Edited by GamingMisfit
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's the video game every game developer should play.

So they know what not to do.

But yeah this game was a special kind of godawful. I couldn't finish it, and just gave up. Thank Christ I didn't spend any money on it.

Edited by Balding Spider

I love how everyone has been all "SAY WHAAAAT" to anyone who said yes, they did love Sonic 2006. Read the topic title guys, are you that surprised people came in here to say yes? That's... kind of what the topic was asking for.

• Thumbs Up 4

Um...I liked the music, the FMV cutscenes, Kindom Valley, ...other than that, no. I cannot say that I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 3.

The music is good. The CGI cutscenes were terrifically made, (I still get a little excited everytime I watch Sonic's intro :D ) Shadow was more developed as a character and with his relationship with Rouge and Omega, Silver was an interesting new character who you could root for at times, the moments between Elise and Sonic were cute IMO (but I can see how it can be a little cheesy to some people) and the ending was very well done.

Because it gives you the sense that all the bad/convulted stuff never happenend.

That's all I can say about 06's good points.

Loved? no

I love it and still do...

The controls were simple, no different to me than the Gamecube setup for Sonic Adventure 1,2 and Sonic Heroes.

Infact I loved this game just above the level that I loved Sonic Adventure.

The best Homing attack in a Sonic game yet, beats Unleashed in my eyes and it wasn't as glitchy as Sonic Adventure 2's homing attack.

The robot's designs were just so...badass, I detest the eggpawn designs, though neither are game breaking for me, but Eggpawns are just boring, sure these bots had no personality in them, but they were more varied than an eggpawn and an eggpawn in a dress....

All main characters were fun to play as in there own way :D

Last good final super battle (sorry Unleashed...but you suck and colours DS was meh)

Best co-op mode in a Sonic game yet

Gem powers for Sonic were fun to play around with.

I enjoyed all 4 stories, I don't care what no-one says, the whole elise kissing Sonic thing, GET OVER IT, 1. you do not see the lips touching and 2. Its just a fairytale thing.

Now for the bad....

Missions sucked balls

Some of the humans were downright ugly

The vibe of being in Soleana gets boring after a few levels, no matter which part I go to.

Silver sucks in the VS. Mode (there is no chance he could win a race to the finish)

Those lava creatures...I can understand them being in Crisis City and Lava Core (or whatever its called) but I can't understand them being in Sonic's Aquatic Base :blink: Plus some of them were designed horribly.

Some of the boss battles were crap (heres looking at you Iblis and Silver)

Forced to play as Amigo Characters

No rainbow gem

*holds up hand*

Yeah, I'm proud to be counted. I don't care. Not only to I adore Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), I consider it one of the better Sonic videogames and regularly replay my favourite stages from all three storylines.

And y'know what? I don't think I'm alone.

Which is nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked Sonic 2006 a lot.

Cut scenes were great and the music was great.

I liked the game overall, it felt atmospheric, though, the story was confusing (but I liked it despite the plot-holes) and the game had some bugs making it very difficult at times.

I bought the DLC for it on the 360 and the Blaze levels on that were tough to get used to, her homing attack seemed a bit messy.

Admittedly I can't really judge SONIC '06 as I've only played 1 level, however I do know I would most likely hate it, due to my extrene dislike of modern Sonic games.

I've gotta admit though, I thoroughly enjoyed the cutscenes, the whole Sonic and Elise storyline, Sonic dying and the sad ending, was the best storyline, IMO, SEGA have come up with in years. I also love the music! While I assume they didn't make such an enjoyable game, they defo went all out on the music!

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed it. And at one point I did love it so. No fuck that. I STILL enjoy sonic the Hedgehog on my PS3. WHY? Cause in all it's faults and blame everyone keeps throwing at it, it's still enjoyable IF you can put alot of stuff on the back burner. Not saying it's the best sonic game ever..... even tho saying any game is is a matter of what the person likes. I liked shadow's story in Sonic the Hedgehog, I loved Silver's story... silver is what did it for me. The character, the plot, his mission, his boss.... and " IT'S NO USE!!!!!" ( love that line ). That's what I love about sonic 06. Silver and Shadow, the music everything I just said before this. This is why I LOVE sonic 06.

Shadow had a boss plot, and silver's plot was VERY entertaining for me. So Yeah I can be counted. Sides, I also enjoy Shadow the hedgehog extremely well. So maybe I'm broken. lol.

Love is a really strong word. I won't use it to describe how I feel for Sonic 06, but I will say that it is one of my favorite 3D Sonic titles. Does that say a lot? Hm, I don't really know. It's either SA1 or Sonic 06 as my favorite 3D game... Who knows. I'll attempt to justify my fondness for it though!

First off, I didn't feel anymore frustrated with this game than I did with the other 3D Sonic games. It's just an overall feeling. Sure, I did not enjoy the mach speed sections in Sonic's story, but I totally despised a lot of other play styles present in the other Sonic games. It's all about relativity! That's really all I have to say about the gameplay. To me, it was no worse/better than any recent Sonic game that comes to mind so it wasn't so offensive. I admit, the constant loading sucked. That's my biggest beef.

The music played in the game didn't really stand out to me. Unleashed and Colors have much stronger soundtracks. Dreams of an Absolution and My Destiny are the stand outs for me~ Everything else seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

Graphics? They looked fine. I played Sonic 06 after the gorgeous Unleashed, but I feel they held up just fine despite some strange animations from the characters during cutscenes. I'm assuming I'm in the minority, but for the most part, I enjoyed how all the characters look in the game. Sonic and company look great a bit taller and leaner. Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and Knuckles immediately come to my mind. Just a personal preference! The humans sans Elise and Eggman were rather bleh though.

I enjoyed the story. I didn't look so deep into it. I just sat myself down and let it take me on a ride. I didn't question anything, it was as if I was a lump on a log.. which probably allowed me to enjoy it. I'll allow myself to become mush for a couple hours to derive some sort of satisfaction haha.

So, with these mixed points, why did I say it is almost my favorite 3D Sonic game? I'm still trying to find a good answer myself.

I think it has to do with Silver. He was a refreshing change of pace with his naive nature. Even though he initially came off as headstrong to me just like the other male Sonic characters, he began to show a doubtful, almost needy desperation that contrasts with how I looked at all the other Sonic characters who all seem to be so sure of themselves. This all culminates in the ending to his story really cemented my like for him. That fragile nature he displayed was really attractive to me. (Some superficial notes.. I like his design and his English voice.)

On a similar note, I absolutely loved the ending to the game. It's my favorite ending in a Sonic game and possibly one of my favorite video game endings overall! Elise admitting her selfish wants was great. I feel that it gave off a really realistic vibe that you don't see in Sonic games (For the record I am indifferent but leaning towards liking Elise). The ending's bittersweet nature struck a nice chord with me. Guess I'm just in tune with my emotions heh heh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Love, no. Like, no. It was an incredibly disappointing first game for my 360. I found the levels dull. They didn't aesthetically grab me as stages in previous games have. The elongation of the characters and goofy inter-species romance were very silly. Most jarringly though were the controls. Sonic was a chore to play as most of the time. Silver's gameplay was initially interesting but slow and got dull real fast. Shadow's was the closest I came to actual enjoyment. You also had to play as the other characters here and there and none of them felt right, although playing as Blaze was a little fun.

The idea of Mephiles seemed kind of cool at the time while Iblis was just another all-powerful monster. The game's story was pretty iffy in places, what with all the time travel that was going on, but I can't remember it all. I'm not sure about the music. Since I didn't quite finish the game and have rarely, if at all, gone back the level themes failed to leave an impression.

The nicest thing I can say about it is that it's not the only Sonic game I've been disappointed in =P. I only found Heroes all right and Unleashed's Werehog levels were laborious.

Edited by Lungo

I find it curious that while Sonic06 is the most bashed game of the series, every time a topic like this comes up, half the people turn out to have a soft spot for it.

I think the streak of cruel reviews it got influenced the judgement of many people who didn't even play the game, giving it a worse reputation than the one it earned with those who actually gave it a chance; it's the same thing that happened with Sonic and the Black Knight, and to a lesser extent even Shadow the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the video game every game developer should play.

So they know what not to do.

I just can't stop laughing :lol:

I haven't played the game, I don't plan on doing that either (unless someone gives it to me). The only thing I can judge is the music and the story, from watching all the cutscenes.

Well, I didn't love the music, I liked it. As for the story, its weird. I like its... complexity? <- For lack of a better word. Its execution in the end was meh, but Shadow's and Silver's story are pretty good. Especially Shadow. Feel sorry for the guy, he finally didn't have an angsty role for once and not only was it wiped from Sonic canon but since it was in 2006 itself people ignore it, :lol:.

Edited by Melru